HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Power Play Discussion

Old
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
dubinator17

vCash: 500
Great on power play, great year., THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!!!!!! THIS YEAR IS MUCH BETTER THEN LAST YEAR

dubinator17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Ranger109

I just don't understand how a bunch of guys as talented them can chase pucks and never win the battle, not that they should win the battles because you shouldn't be battling for the puck.

They stand still and no one else moves around, passes are blocked because they try to thread it while standing still instead of moving around and no one shoots without it getting blocked.

This to me, is our scary problem. You can't win the cup by grinding away in games. I think we are the best at grinding, but it would be nice to grind games out and score 1 or two on the PP nightly! I mean, you have the man advantage, you have to score on chances like that!

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post
Fundamentally poor. Every part of it is broken so there is no opportunity to focus in practice on one or two things which aren't clicking.

The sticks are on the wrong side of the ice, the players don't move or think with any urgency, puck carrier cannot shoot because the shot blockers are always in position and there is only one attacker near the net, the puck carrier cannot pass because the pass blockers are always in position despite having three teammates around the perimeter who are supposed to get open. The effectiveness would increase dramatically if one player just took it upon themselves to skate right into the middle of the defensive box and ask some questions of the penalty killers.

And that's just our first unit. The second unit is filled with disappointing players with no desire to take the lead; goes out for a turn and plays it like your typical 5on5 with the intent of just killing 40-60 seconds.

It's the type of amateurism which would see a coach fired if said coach wasn't doing other crucial duties.
Pretty much this. Someone have to be creative, but for that to happen they have to pick up the speed. There just isn't enough speed, movement or creativity to make it hard on the pk unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Pretty much so this. Someone I'd like to see them try having out there on the PP is Stralman. Good passer, good shot, and I think at this point it should be worth trying out there. If anything he'll at least be able to one time pucks on the left hand side of the ice. Stepan could also be used there, but he needs to be told to shoot more than someone like Stralman would.
He did very well on the point in his first year in Columbus. He was handpicked by Hitch as a right-handed shot and offensive d-man. He did spark their PP until his health issues started.. He also has done well on the PP on his previous teams, both in SEL and on the Swedish National Team.

Edit: Just checked the stats: 22 PP points (4+18) in 73 GP for Columbus 09-10. Tied second on the team in PP points (with Nash) with less games played. Just one point behind the team leader (Huselius).

Why the coaches haven't given him a shot is beyond me. That would also give Girardi (who is a helluva d-man but has no business being on the first PP unit, IMO) some valuable rest.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Vancouver has the best PP in the league. They always someone(Kesler or Burrows) in front of the net. Edler has 18 of his 34 points on the PP. The Sedins have the puck on a string. The PP is Torts' baby.

Well...he certainly has an ugly baby !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Ranger109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
PUT THIS VIDEO ON AT MSG!!!! Maybe Torts will remember that he needs his PP going.

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
It's breathtaking.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2749
Why isn't Gaborik deflecting shots on the PP like two years ago? He seemed pretty effective there.

01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymones View Post
Pretty much this. Someone have to be creative, but for that to happen they have to pick up the speed. There just isn't enough speed, movement or creativity to make it hard on the pk unit.

He did very well on the point in his first year in Columbus. He was handpicked by Hitch as a right-handed shot and offensive d-man. He did spark their PP until his health issues started.. He also has done well on the PP on his previous teams, both in SEL and on the Swedish National Team.

Edit: Just checked the stats: 22 PP points (4+18) in 73 GP for Columbus 09-10. Tied second on the team in PP points (with Nash) with less games played. Just one point behind the team leader (Huselius).

Why the coaches haven't given him a shot is beyond me. That would also give Girardi (who is a helluva d-man but has no business being on the first PP unit, IMO) some valuable rest.
because the coach is too obsessed with defense even on the PP. thats why you see girardi out there on PP, who brings absolutely nothing to PP.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Dorado*

Off D side shots should be set up . Players hold puck to long never get it singing around . No movement . No Point man " walking the line " to the middle of the ice shifting the PKers box . I'm only a pick up / open ice and house league Firehouse league player and I understand this much . Torts is more afraid to give up a shorty than put Stralman on a point with Brad . Stralman can one time the puck . Last game Richards threaded a perfect cross ice pass to Gaby and he stopped it settled it and looked to make a play . Stamkos and before him Brett hull made a living taking that pass and one timing it in the net before anyone blinked . Now I understand those two are Rocket award winning elite goal scorers but someone at this level should be able to one time the puck on net . Without the quick shot , the ability to change the PKers lanes the rangers essentially pass it around the perimeter and look for the same down low slam dunk back door play . Look at any good PP in the league the puck moves tape to tape quick rarely settles down and is shot on the fly . Last night Letang walked the line saw the shot and took it through the screen . So simple . Leetch and Zubov could do all these things and even when we had Jagr and Straka and Nylander they would as well .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:04 PM
nafsregnar27

vCash: 50
I'm truly ashamed of the PP, which I now use as an excuse for a bathroom break during game days. I wish they bring in an offensive-minded defenseman veteran like Liles who I see as the reason the Leafs had a good power play until he got hurt.
Anyways, I'm curious to why do not use McDonagh on the powerplay. He gets most of his icetime from ES and PK. We know he can be offensive minded sometimes and it won't hurt since the PP is already garbage. Or they need to hire a new assistant coach who knows what he's doing.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

i think they need to just start from scratch and think up a new gameplan for the PP, clearly this one isnt working and whatever the coaches are coaching them to do in practice either isnt sticking or they just cant do it but regardless the mindset of this team in regards to the powerplay needs to take a complete 180

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

First of all, stop saying it's the coaching. The only way it's the coaching is failing here is that the team is still doing the same thing. Do you really think Tortorella hasn't been on them to move around, to take shots, to be decisive with the puck? If these things are so obvious to us, they're certainly obvious to the coaching staff. The players aren't executing and it's really on them.

Bill Clement once said that there is zero rhyme or reason to why one powerplay works the way it should while another fails to do so. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Honestly, I'd like this team to stop trying to have a powerplay system. If they just played on the powerplay the exact system and work ethic they have at even strength, they'd score a ton of goals.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
They need to move around. With the personel they have on the PP they should be killing it

Last edited by Swept In Seven: 01-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Blueshirt Special

Just pass it to Jagr and hope for the best!!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
bscharf

shoot. the. puck.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
shoot. the. puck.
Pretty hard to shoot the puck when they aren't opening up lanes.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
First of all, stop saying it's the coaching. The only way it's the coaching is failing here is that the team is still doing the same thing. Do you really think Tortorella hasn't been on them to move around, to take shots, to be decisive with the puck? If these things are so obvious to us, they're certainly obvious to the coaching staff. The players aren't executing and it's really on them.

Bill Clement once said that there is zero rhyme or reason to why one powerplay works the way it should while another fails to do so. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Honestly, I'd like this team to stop trying to have a powerplay system. If they just played on the powerplay the exact system and work ethic they have at even strength, they'd score a ton of goals.
It's 100% coaching.

Please tell me how a team filled with talents like Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Del Zotto, Girardi, etc. is this bad on the PP.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Dorado*

Gaborik rarely one times the puck . Del Zotto is a passer , Richards is a pass first player , Girardi generally wrist shots the puck . CALLY is an opportunistic player who scores a lot of goals in traffic around the net and by second effort but is not a pure skill player and is small . Dubi generally fumbles the puck and takes too long to shoot usually . All factors in our just about league worst PP

Old
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Dorado*

Teams with good PP have good shooters . Gaby van shoot but is most effective when he is using his speed bearing down on net and 5 holing a guy or darting into an opening around the net to a loose puck . No one is comparing his shot to the way a Stamkos or Lecavalier or ILYA can hammer a one timer past a goalie . the NYR lack players that actually no how to play PP along with Richards and MDZ . Refusal to set up Brad at the R point and a r hand shot at left point and walk the line creates lanes and one time shots hurts . The risk if one timers from the point especially with one piece sticks is the breakaway against and it seems Torts doesn't want that

Old
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
shoot. the. puck.
Gain. The. Zone.

Would be more apropriate lol

The PP has been awful for YEARS... I'm inclined to say it's analysis, paralysis.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

The PP was fine until Avery got sent down.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It's 100% coaching.

Please tell me how a team filled with talents like Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Del Zotto, Girardi, etc. is this bad on the PP.
Because the problem is more likely execution, not instruction.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It's 100% coaching.

/thread

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Because the problem is more likely execution, not instruction.
This.

If the players do not follow the instruction they will fail more often than not. You can't tell me that the Rangers players do not understand what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

isnt sullivan supposed to be coaching the pp, if he is than hes earning his money less than wade redden. they dont move they telegraph their passes ,when someone is in front of the net no one shoots it and if they do shoot it its 5 + feet wide. they look gunshy like even they feel their pp sucks. they can have success but it all starts with finding a way to get richards goin, maybe the goal on saturday will get them goin, at least for that one they crashed the net.

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote