HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Pernell Karl Subban vs. Victor Hedman

View Poll Results: Who is the better player?
Victor Hedman 33 50.77%
Pernell Karl Subban 30 46.15%
Both the same 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Pernell Karl Subban vs. Victor Hedman

Both players are #1s on their respective teams. Who would you want going forward, Pernell Karl Subban or Victor Hedman?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

To be fair, I think you should edit the title to include: Victor Erik Olof Hedman

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
To be fair, I think you should edit the title to include: Victor Erik Olof Hedman

Fixed for you.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I think it is very close between Pernell Karl Subban and Victor Hedman.

Subban's been asked to do too much on that team...

Old
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
I wish I was called Pernell Karl.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
SaxMan

Why isn't this a more horrible player poll?

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
211*

lol in the long run Pk subaan will be better. PK is pretty amazing offensively at times. hedman is just not. hedman is much better defensively but i think subaan will eventually pull it together

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Why isn't this a more horrible player poll?
I think that there are some posters who voted for Hedman as though it was a "More horrible player" poll. Also, I couldn't quite find a challenger for Plekanec in a "More horrible player" poll so I'm putting all "More horrible player" production on hold until then.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would take Subban 10 out of 10 times AINEC. Hedman is grossly overrated. He has zero offensive game to speak of, and doesn't play physical at all. He's decent defensively, but arguably so is Hal Gill...

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Lebowski

As a Habs fan, I'm happy with Subban. He brings something special to the ice, something that very few players in the league have, and I don't know the exact word to describe it. Swag, maybe?

Anyway, judging by their learning curve, PK has developed exponentially since he's been drafted, although he's kind of suffering the sophomore slump right now. Personally, I just think Markov's injury has given him too much responsibilities, and he's doing the best he can to handle the workload. He's not terrible, contrary to popular belief. He's doing a honest job as a N.1, but ideally, he'd be a N.2 on most teams at this point in time, maybe even 3rd on some. He's going to be fine in the future, I'm sure of it.

On the other hand, Hedman, who was described as the "next Lidstrom" by some a few years ago, has had a rather quiet career up to this point. He could definitely turn this around, but you can't "buy" natural talent. He's just not as good as some of us thought. I don't think he has the upside to become a superstar in this league, especially considering his little offensive instinct. Might turn out into a solid two-way defenseman, but I don't think he holds much over Subban.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:31 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Can you just call him PK?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
As a Habs fan, I'm happy with Subban. He brings something special to the ice, something that very few players in the league have, and I don't know the exact word to describe it. Swag, maybe?

Anyway, judging by their learning curve, PK has developed exponentially since he's been drafted, although he's kind of suffering the sophomore slump right now. Personally, I just think Markov's injury has given him too much responsibilities, and he's doing the best he can to handle the workload. He's not terrible, contrary to popular belief. He's doing a honest job as a N.1, but ideally, he'd be a N.2 on most teams at this point in time, maybe even 3rd on some. He's going to be fine in the future, I'm sure of it.

On the other hand, Hedman, who was described as the "next Lidstrom" by some a few years ago, has had a rather quiet career up to this point. He could definitely turn this around, but you can't "buy" natural talent. He's just not as good as some of us thought. I don't think he has the upside to become a superstar in this league, especially considering his little offensive instinct. Might turn out into a solid two-way defenseman, but I don't think he holds much over Subban.
He played like a #1 in the 2010 playoffs, especially against Pittsburgh, thus setting unrealistic expectations on Subban. Habs fans expect of him to play like a #1, to score 14+ goals season in, season out. I have no doubt Subban will be a magnificent #1 in his prime and that he could become one of the NHL's "poster boys" if he did somehow outplay Markov's best game (and then he'd make the All-Star Team)

He suffers from the sophomore slump only as far as his goal-scoring and PP production is concerned since the team asks too much out of him. Defensively he has been solid apart from a few costly mistakes due to his flashy, risk-taking style. However, he is an exciting player to watch provided the team is even remotely trying. But few D-men can score 14+ goals season in, season out.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Hedman, and it isn't even close.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:54 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Subban for me. He has struggled at times this year, and I do not think he's a No. 1 just yet, but the talent is there and he's actually much better defensively than he gets credit for. His actual weakness is ultimately attributed to his style of play, which is exciting but also high-risk, and his issue this year is related to him trying to do too much.

To be quite honest, I was never a fan of Hedman and, while not having the track record on hfboards to prove it, I vouched for Ekman-Larsson as the better (long term) Swedish D-man in 2009. I always felt that his combination of size and skating ability was impressive, but that it also masked some of his flaws. I'm not keen on his offensive game, which is fine as long as he turns into a top-pairing shutdown guy, but even defensively I'm not sold on him. Still, he's young, so the book is not shut on his development.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 133
Subban

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:09 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

I hate it when people don't call him PK.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:30 AM
re5piration
'67 til

PK, dont see anything special in Hedman.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I feel like they're both players who "should be better than they are"... watching them just in isolation, ignoring the game around them, I think they have tons of talent and would expect them to be even more effective than they are.

Subban has come closer to living up to his talents than Hedman so far IMHO, however. Last year, things *were* going in for Subban with his 2nd half PP time and higher production. This year, he's still as good, but the puck isn't going in (for him or for the whole team). Defensively, Subban has been excellent again. I don't think the Habs are "asking too much" of him... they're just making the most use they can of their best option for the icetime.

I don't think Hedman has yet even had the run of production that Subban did to raise expectations, and while he has been adequate defensively, I'm not sure he has yet been the guy the team always turns to in any situation the way Subban has been for the Habs. I think he has had flashes of it maybe, but Subban has now played a full-season worth of de facto #1 status in all situations for the Habs.

Anyway, long term I wouldn't say who is going to be better. Both have great untapped upside. To date, Subban has been better, so he gets my present tense vote.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
SpezDispenser

I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm voting Subban over Hedman. Not sure what's up with Hedman.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I wouldn't trade PK for Hedman

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
MessierII

Hedman. He's one one of those guys that's not flashy, doesn't put up a lot of points but is just effective as hell. He's on the ice for half the game just shutting the other team down. I like PK but you put him on for half the game over a stretch he might get a couple points every few games but he'll go -6 in the process. Hedman is a more effective defensemen if his offensive game developes this wouldn't even be a debate. I'd take both these guys on my team though. Both great young players.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Hedman. He's one one of those guys that's not flashy, doesn't put up a lot of points but is just effective as hell. He's on the ice for half the game just shutting the other team down. I like PK but you put him on for half the game over a stretch he might get a couple points every few games but he'll go -6 in the process. Hedman is a more effective defensemen if his offensive game developes this wouldn't even be a debate. I'd take both these guys on my team though. Both great young players.
Currently, PK is 23rd in defensemen TOI/G, with 23:55 minutes, while maintaining an even differential on a bottom feeder team and he might as well reach 40 points this year, despite our anemic power play.

Hedman is 51th amongst defensemen TOI/G, with 22:28 minutes, while maintaining a -12 differential on a team that was suppose to be a lock for the playoffs. He's barely on pace for 15 points.

Therefore, your argument is invalid, from top to bottom. Not only does Hedman plays less, on a supposedly better team, but he also has a much worse goal differential and he's basically useless offensively.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

PK Subban

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote