HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Kings 4, Sens 1 | Dan O'Rourke and Tim Peel take the spotlight

Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Philadelphia Collins

vCash: 500
It was funny watching Chris Phillips the veteran handle the puck like a live grenade and slap it over to Boro in our end and then watching Boro make a calm outlet pass

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
It was funny watching Chris Phillips the veteran handle the puck like a live grenade and slap it over to Boro in our end and then watching Boro make a calm outlet pass
that's what happens when a d-man is switched onto his wrong side for the first time in over a decade and is paired with a rookie.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
that's what happens when a d-man is switched onto his wrong side for the first time in over a decade and is paired with a rookie.
Nope, sorry. Borowiecki has an 78 in passing and Phillips has a 70.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
TSA0402

I'm not very impressed with Boro thus far. But its only been a few games, that could be from nerves though. Looked better than Wiercioch(not saying much) at this level, but wasn't as solid as I was expecting.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I'm not very impressed with Boro thus far. But its only been a few games, that could be from nerves though. Looked better than Wiercioch(not saying much) at this level, but wasn't as solid as I was expecting.
You can't tell much in the first couple games beyond physical talents. And Boro's skating, strength and passing looked good for the most part.

The momentum shifted in that one and the jitters came with it. He's just here to get a taste so the next time he's back he understands what it's about.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Do you guys have a link to the Clifford hit? LA's feed did not show a good angle so none of us really saw what happened. I am not saying you guys are wrong, since there is no way I could know that. I just would like to see what he did.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...th-Neils-face/

Seeing it during the game, I thought it was just incidental. Not sure if this changed my mind, but the end result was definitely a cross-check to the chin. I still think Clifford was just bracing for impact.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:42 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I guess what bothered me is the statment by the Stache about the ref working last night's game was calling EK a diver. It prejudiced the game for me. It allowed the appearance of bias ruin the game. You can't have that in sport because it takes objectivity out of the game. It made me question everything. When EK gets tripped and no call, it makes you think. Phillips stick gets slashed on a PP, no call. Same play happens...makes you think. The Boro penalty...makes you think. Kopitar freebie through the crease...makes you think. He was given the benefit of the doubt, EK wasn't.

So it really ruined the game even before the puck dropped and the NHL has to make sure that this scenario does not creep into the game.

Other than that, they played well, a rebound game from Anaheim and Quick played excellent. It happens and it is our time to face some adversity for the first time in two months. Two months. Turris, Spezza created plays. Smith to me looks like he is not 100%, no jam. Daugavins needs to sit. Butler hate is a little much, he did not socre but he had chances...I would prefer Greening up there. Anderson was good and unlucky.

on to Phoenix, let's not get any injuries and if we lose, we lose. The playeds geta break, look at their accomplishments, be proud and be confident that they can continue to play as they have for two chole months. You can't fake two months people....they are good but good teams will struggle at times.

I liked what the Euge said. Stay focussed. the "I ain't even mad " mindframe is a good one this year, I will try and stick to it and enjoy the rest of the season.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Seeing it during the game, I thought it was just incidental. Not sure if this changed my mind, but the end result was definitely a cross-check to the chin. I still think Clifford was just bracing for impact.
if he was bracing for impact why is his stick already up more than 3 feet away from Neil and he had a clear view from 15 feet away. It was Clifford who adjusted his path to skate towards Neil knowing Neil couldn't see him. That's an easy 3 games.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
ShotDownCrosby

From that angle it looks worse than I thought. Not sure if he's simply bracing... but I think some form of cross check or high sticking call should have been called. Even if accidental sticks to the face are generally called as a high stick.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGal View Post
From that angle it looks worse than I thought. Not sure if he's simply bracing... but I think some form of cross check or high sticking call should have been called. Even if accidental sticks to the face are generally called as a high stick.
The thing is, why is Clifford changing direction on that play? The puck is going the other way. Makes no sense that he would skate right into Neil who IS following the play. Lifting up his stick is a bad decision whether he is bracing for the impact or not. It deserves a game imo.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
ShotDownCrosby

I would be happy with just a penalty. Lol.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that suspendable hits against the Sens won't ever be suspended. And if Clifford isn't a repeat offender, I doubt it gets more than a glance.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Batali Crocs*

Boro made a nice tape-to-tape pass through the neutral zone from the circle in the second period (pretty sure it was 2nd) but besides that one play, he looked below average. Got caught out of position a lot.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:37 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
Boro made a nice tape-to-tape pass through the neutral zone from the circle in the second period (pretty sure it was 2nd) but besides that one play, he looked below average. Got caught out of position a lot.
Yeah, it was a pass to Alfie.

Overall, he looked like a more nervous, slightly more physical version of Brian Lee.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, it was a pass to Alfie.

Overall, he looked like a more nervous, slightly more physical version of Brian Lee.
So what you're saying is that Brian Lee was just passed on the depth charts?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I'd guess over a set of stints in Ottawa Boro will get comfortable and move above Lee. I liked at the end of the game when the game got out of hand you could just see he said "**** it" and got angry.

He'll be a more useful player in the offensive zone than Lee, not that that says much. He'll be simple most of the time on transition...and he'll play with more intensity and be harder to play against.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Not necessarily.

Lee still has more experience at the NHL level.

Boro is perfectly capable of putting a train wreck performance together.

He's a rookie, and we already have Cowen in the line-up.

Pretty tough to tell without a larger sample size of performances.

If it were the playoffs, I'd still rather see Lee in there, at least right now.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:35 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
This. Exactly.

He made one good play, and wasn't very solid most of the night.

If Boro has already passed Brian Lee on the depth charts, not only do I , but they might as well just trade him already. Because he isn't going to ever get a chance.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
This. Exactly.

He made one good play, and wasn't very solid most of the night.

If Boro has already passed Brian Lee on the depth charts, not only do I , but they might as well just trade him already. Because he isn't going to ever get a chance.
If someone said that, I'd laugh to.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Boro may have been shaky, which is normal for a 2nd game, but these past two games have shown that he does have potential and his offensive game will certainly be better than Lee's or Carkner's.... Not that that's hard

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
jbeck5

Quote:

At the 0:58-0:59ish mark of that video, you can pause it and have about 6-7 feet between clifford and neil and clifford is already looking at neil with his arms/stick up in a cross check position. In real time it look incidental...but with the replay,it looks a lot more iffy.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:

wow, it's incredible the amount of getting screwed the Sens are getting. It got to the point where it's not just luck and "it will balance out with time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
if he was bracing for impact why is his stick already up more than 3 feet away from Neil and he had a clear view from 15 feet away. It was Clifford who adjusted his path to skate towards Neil knowing Neil couldn't see him. That's an easy 3 games.
It is clear as water. And like Sensgal said, a stick to the face (even if accidental) should be a penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If someone said that, I'd laugh to.
No, but he's miles better than Chris Phillips for a few posters

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGal View Post
I would be happy with just a penalty. Lol.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that suspendable hits against the Sens won't ever be suspended. And if Clifford isn't a repeat offender, I doubt it gets more than a glance.
I will second this, gave up on looking for the NHL to do the right thing years ago, but no penalty WOW!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Afro Thunder*

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...1&event=L.A179

lols I am from Newfoundland and I am stronger than you.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Glad, I fell asleep at midnight and missed the rest of this one. Sounds like **** went from bad to worse. I'll be glad when tonight's game is over and the guys get a bit of a break. From what I've seen these last couple of games, they're missing that jump that we're used to seeing from them and they clearly need some rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...1&event=L.A179

lols I am from Newfoundland and I am stronger than you.
Beautiful hit.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote