HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
@Em, that's okay

@bcv, really? It's not deep... but oh wait, lots of good D. The idea of a deep 1st round is that even a low 1st has a good chance at being a high potential prospect. Namely the defensemen in the draft.

On another note, the scouts are probably getting bored because all of the 1st rounders have been injured like never before
Since when lots of good D means deep draft? The forward position is lacking in this draft. Therefore, this draft is not as deep as people make it out to be. End.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
I've only managed to get to 1 Mooseheads game so far this year and am wondering what you think about Andrew Ryan? I'm also rooting for G - Brandon Whitney of Victo to get drafted high as he's from the Valley and I work close to where he was born.
Foot speed, foot speed, foot speed. If he can fix his skating stride, he'd be a worthwhile pick in the 4th-5th round. The kid can score.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Since when lots of good D means deep draft? The forward position is lacking in this draft. Therefore, this draft is not as deep as people make it out to be. End.
I just explained to you what a deep draft means and you still insist on a different idea. I'm done here.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Roulin

Some interesting stuff from an interview with a McKeen's/OHL scout.

On Galchenyuk:

There is speculation that he may return at the end of February as he is rehabbing his knee twice a day and making special trips to London for treatment.

On Gaunce and Faksa:

Brendan Gaunce would be the next best forward available, but Radek Faksa is not that far off. Gaunce offers many intangibles but he is also inconsistent and needs to work harder away from the puck. He has all the attributes that NHL teams covet and will undoubtedly be a better pro than he is a junior as he grows into his body and adds strength. Gaunce is a projection pick that teams will need to be patient with however he does have the size and hockey sense to be a difference maker. Faksa approaches the game a little bit differently than Gaunce in that he uses his size down low to make plays. I draw the comparison of a young Tomas Holmstrom when I watch him play as he does so many little things well in traffic and his board play is exceptional.

Gaunce would have to play in your top six for you to get the maximum return on investment. In all likelihood he is a top 15 pick at this point and teams drafting a player in that range will look for him to centre one of their top two lines and be a PP player. Gaunce is incredibly gifted with the puck and understands his positioning in the offensive zone. He reads and reacts to plays and anticipates better than his peers. His only issue is his skating at this point however if NHL teams can not make a player bigger, stronger and faster with various off-ice programs designed to improve foot speed and conditioning than they are not doing their job.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...e-guru_19.html

I've been arguing against those who rank Galchenyuk in the top 5 without him playing a game this season. However, if he comes back early and shows progression, I could get on board. At least it would add some depth to the top 10.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Naslund

Grigorenko, Forsberg, or Galchenyuk

Looks like we will be drafting anywhere from 3rd to 8th. With many defensemen in the pipeline coming, I guess a forward is what we will draft. So, which one of the big three, assuming Yakupov is going 1st, and why? I'm leaning toward Galchenyuk, assuming his knee is no problem going forward.

Comments from people having seen them would be great!

Old
01-21-2012, 02:20 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Grigorenko.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Iwishihadacup

Grigorenko is the ****

Old
01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
pine*

Grigorenko the boss

Old
01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Red Line forward rankings...

1-Yakupv 2-Forsberg 3-Grigorenko 8-Aberg 9-Galchenyuk 12-Collberg 22-Digiuseppe 25-Kosmanchuk 26-Gaunce 28-Frk 29-Samuelsson 30-Teravainen
Thanks for posting the list, but is that all? 12 forwards in the top 30? Seems low. No Hertl or Faksa? Girgensons?

Old
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Grigorenko would be perfect for the habs.

It's good winning battles along the boards, chasing the puck,hitting the net ect. But at some point, you need great puck handlers in the team to make things more creative, gain the zone and open space for our wingers.

Only guy doing that is Desharnais. No wonder his wingers are having success.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Čither Grigorenko or Galchenyuk would be perfect for us imo, leaning tiny bit towards Grigs, but Galchenyuk vs Forsberg I take Galchenyuk, and thats not a knock on Forsberg, hes a great prospect, but imo Gal and Grigs are both potential superstar centers

Old
01-22-2012, 09:34 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

So here's what im seeing.

Lets assume we finish 25th and the islanders and the lightning both pass us.

And lets assume that the final standings look something like this

Habs
Sabres
Lightning
Hurricanes
Oilers
Blue jackets

Blue Jackets go BPA and take yakupov,
Oilers takes grigs, same reason

The Hurricanes need two things defense and forwards, lets assume for arguments sake its Dumba

The one thing the sabres and us have been looking for, is a number 1 center, and don't tell me that if Galchenyuk is available at their pick their not taking him. My question would be would anyone be willing to trade up and grab him at number 4 by giving up a 2nd and a 4th in this years draft, (the lightning need D not more forwards)

Old
01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Beakermania*

Really liked this on Galchenyuk, from an article that talks about a bunch of the OHL prospects, done as an interview with the head guy from McKeens

Quote:
BO: "Hypothetically speaking, if Alex Galchenyuk doesn’t tear up his knee, does he compete with Nail (and Grigerenko for that matter) for first overall?"

DB: "I have an advantage as I was part of the scouting staff in Sarnia that drafted Alex first overall and saw him play quite often as a member of the Chicago Young Americans and last year in his OHL rookie season. Galchenyuk has elite skills and marries it with a competitive streak that is unrivalled by his peers. In addition to his scoring exploits, as he was the highest scoring 94 in the OHL last season with 83 points in all 68 games, he is an incredibly smart-two player. He simply hates to loose and his training regime is second to none as he is very committed off ice. There is speculation that he may return at the end of February as he is rehabbing his knee twice a day and making special trips to London for treatment. Should he return it would be great for the Sting and the league as he is worth the price of admission."

BO: "So with that in mind, just where do you stand on Galchenyuk? If you’re an NHL team with a top 10 pick, do you draft him?"

DB: "Brett Connolly only played 15 games in his NHL draft year and was selected 6th overall by Tampa. Should Galchenyuk fall outside the top 10, I think one team gets an absolute steal. Galchenyuk had only an average Ivan Hlinka tournament but his accomplishments from last year and his high character level should be enough for him to fall inside the top 10. I know that we will not take him outside of our top 10 ranking and NHL teams that are picking in that range will be keeping close tabs on his recovery."

Old
01-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

No one doubts Galchenyuk's skill, but losing a whole year to a knee injury is very serious.

People like this don't drop because teams are stupid, but because if they can't get back to their level before the injury, you might end up with very little out of a very high draft pick.

Old
01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
BK201

If Montreal is out of the top 5 the chances of getting galchenyuk is going to be very slim. At 6 BPA is Looking like it'll be a defenseman and maybe worth montreals time to try to trade back a spot or 2 to get and extra pic likely a second if they want Gaunce or collberg or another forward.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:44 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
If Montreal is out of the top 5 the chances of getting galchenyuk is going to be very slim. At 6 BPA is Looking like it'll be a defenseman and maybe worth montreals time to try to trade back a spot or 2 to get and extra pic likely a second if they want Gaunce or collberg or another forward.
This is another way to garner picks for next season say a 2013 1st & 2nd round picks and a 3rd in 2012 if we aren't in position for a lottery this season.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:38 AM
psychonaut

I know we all want a forward but really one more elite dmen would make one hell of a scary defence. With Price....

Old
01-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Really liked this on Galchenyuk, from an article that talks about a bunch of the OHL prospects, done as an interview with the head guy from McKeens

Is he done for the season or coming back later this year?

Old
01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Is he done for the season or coming back later this year?
The link says he might be back by the end of February.

Even if he hits a set back, he should definitely play in the OHL playoffs.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
TinordiandSubban

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...om-the-corners

McKeen's Mock has Galchenyuk to the Habs.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...om-the-corners

McKeen's Mock has Galchenyuk to the Habs.
i feel like high-fiveing somebody right now

Old
01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Roulin

Can anyone please help with some Tomas Hertl info? With his production in the top Czech league and his showing at the WJC, why isn't he ranked higher? Does he have any glaring weaknesses? Is it because he plays in a league that doesn't get many viewings? Is it possible that a team with more of a budget to scout the Czech Republic will have him ranked much higher than scouting services like the ISS?

Old
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Wishful thinking.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/333944.html

Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Can anyone please help with some Tomas Hertl info? With his production in the top Czech league and his showing at the WJC, why isn't he ranked higher? Does he have any glaring weaknesses? Is it because he plays in a league that doesn't get many viewings? Is it possible that a team with more of a budget to scout the Czech Republic will have him ranked much higher than scouting services like the ISS?
Hertl is my favourite non-top10 guy. Di Giuseppe and him. I have a feeling he'll be selected higher than most people think just like Scheifele.

From my limited viewing (WJC), he looked incredibly smart. Good frame. He's not the fastest or the toughest, but he knows where to be in all 3 zones. He also hustles and doesn't mind getting hit if it means keeping the puck. Forechecks and backchecks like no other. Soft hands (scored by deking the goalie bad), but didn't look elite RIGHT now, but I think he'll get better at it. He won't be flashy imo, but he'll be good (think Pleky).

PS. He's ranked as the 3rd or 4th Euro skater by them so he's no slouch in the rankings.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
One would think the Habs should heed the words of Roy and do all in their power to make it happen.Roy knows a little about giving the people a show and reason to believe.Instead they will do as Savard called it making their money without the investment into the prolific player to please the fans.I guess I distorted his words but I can read between the lines after all these years of waiting.

Last edited by S Bah: 01-24-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Closed Thread