HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bernier

Old
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
vh2k7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
i like kule, i think he would be a great fit on our 3rd line even if he doesn't get his game back in order. love his backchecking and the potential for a physical game from him. he has elements in his game that are badly missing from our bottom 6 with simmonds and ponikarovsky elsewhere. of course, he has the potential to be much more, but even if he continues his struggles, he has desirable skills. perhaps some reduced expectations and a change of scenery could help his game out.

not saying i'd trade bernier for him straight up, because it's a peculiar situation for both teams in terms of the value each player holds to the team, but i like kulemin. if the leafs were willing to part with him, i'd be interested. he's not a solution, but he's a good piece to have.

grabovski would be the most likely kings target in the event of a bernier to the leafs deal, and i can't see him being dealt since he's the only consistent threat aside from kessel and lupul. plus, richards looked like garbage on the wing when he played with kopitar earlier this season.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
bernier to philly for simmonds
No. Unless you want to send Richie back and take Bryz off our hands...

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
oilers84

to la
hemsky
roy/dubs

to edm
bernier
2nd

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboat View Post
Reimer hasn't even played a full season. And Gustavsson has outplayed him the entire year, how can they be among the best tandems in the league???
I see that you have choose to ignore "potential" "but may also fall flat on their face". Also, at 23 they are both fairly young, and IMO if it wasn't for the early season injury, Reimer would still be the dominant player he was last season.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

I'd be curious to see what TB would want built around Bernier/Connolly. Bernier/Martinez for Connolly/?.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I'd be curious to see what TB would want built around Bernier/Connolly. Bernier/Martinez for Connolly/?.
I don't see the Kings trading for just Connolly. The Kings are only going to give up Bernier for an elite winger, and I personally do not believe connolly fits that description. I could possibly see Connolly fitting in in some sort of package deal, but I don't think TB has the other "parts" the Kings would want. If Bernier were to be traded the Kings would want at least a backup goalie included in the package - would be weird to see Garon again...

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to la
hemsky
roy/dubs

to edm
bernier
2nd
Uhh no.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
BKR

So sick of the proposals that include Hemsky. The Kings dont want him. He's an above average winger, who's got questionable character (reportedly) and is always hurt. Definitely not what DL is looking for. He's looking for a "sure thing," a winger that can be depended on to make consistent contributions.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
There appears to be a rather large discrepancy here between what Kings fans know Bernier's value to be, and what Leafs fans believe his value to be...
That's a confusing statement. A player's trade value is based entirely on the perception the other teams have of him. Were you talking about Bernier's value to the Kings?

Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
That's a confusing statement. A player's trade value is based entirely on the perception the other teams have of him. Were you talking about Bernier's value to the Kings?
I was referring to the fact that a lot of the non-Kings fans on here who don't watch the team night-in, night-out seem to grossly undervalue Bernier. He's not a prospect, he's proven himself at the NHL level. The Kings aren't going to trade him for scrap pieces.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We are just looking for a top line winger. Toronto is a tough one, because I can't see many assets that I would be confident sticking into the lineup with Kopitar and Richards and expecting sustained goal scoring from. Perhaps Kadri. But I would be more inclined to talk with the Lightning about Brett Connolly. In the end, neither is overly appealing, and don't seem the be the solution we are looking for this season, but at least Connolly gives you something good to build on on the wings.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
There appears to be a rather large discrepancy here between what Kings fans know Bernier's value to be, and what Leafs fans believe his value to be... If our 2 GM's are talking, I can only hope that they are on more of a similar page than that of the people on the boards right now...

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, the only way the Kings trader Bernier is if a top-flight winger is coming back to them.
Look at what Varlamov fetched. And add to it. Bernier is a better goalie than Simeon.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
BKR

Package Bernier, Brown/JJ, Hickey, & a pick/prospect of some sort for Nash & Mason(CBJ).

Old
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
kinghock

To Kings: Vladislav Namestnikov, Nikita Kucherov and 2012 1st
To Lightings: Bernier
Or
To Kings: Joe Colborne, Brad Ross and 2012 1st
To Leafs: Bernier

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:25 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Package Bernier, Brown/JJ, Hickey, & a pick/prospect of some sort for Nash & Mason(CBJ).
There's no way the Kings can do a deal like that unless Columbus takes on Penner or Stoll for the rest of the year.

Not to mention do you really think the Kings should take on a backup making more than Quick? The $2.9 mil cap hit Mason has next year would also hurt the Kings going forward. They're spending close to the cap now, you can't have a bad backup that's going to be overpaid by that much. That would be probably $2 mil in dead-weight against the cap. Heck, Mason counts almost as much as Quick and Bernier do combined ($2.9 mil for Mason and $3.05 for Quick and Bernier).

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
There's no way the Kings can do a deal like that unless Columbus takes on Penner or Stoll for the rest of the year.

Not to mention do you really think the Kings should take on a backup making more than Quick? The $2.9 mil cap hit Mason has next year would also hurt the Kings going forward. They're spending close to the cap now, you can't have a bad backup that's going to be overpaid by that much. That would be probably $2 mil in dead-weight against the cap. Heck, Mason counts almost as much as Quick and Bernier do combined ($2.9 mil for Mason and $3.05 for Quick and Bernier).
Point well taken. Forgot to look at the cap hit of Mason, plus Nash's just flat out freaks me out! I'm just dying for the Kings to get an impact winger, we can't depend on Kyle Clifford to lead our offense every night!

Old
01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Or even better, Carter.

Bernier, Martinez, Loktionov/Stoll/roster player, 1st. Something along those lines. Or something else. But hey, Kings have Richards already. Go bigger. Do it, Dean.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg9 View Post
First off, forget about the source and the legitimacy of the "rumour".
(Hey, even a blind squirrel will end up finding a nut every once in a while)

But when a certain blogger wrote about this "Buzz" it got me thinking about whether there could actually be a fit.

"*The Lightning and Maple Leafs are both very interested in Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier. My sources are almost all in agreement here and the common thread appears to be the Kings want a goalie in return along with a solid forward."

Could a deal between the Kings and the Leafs work?

Bernier for Gustavsson + MacArthur?

Thoughts?

(again... thoughts on the value of the proposal I made. Not interested in the credibility of the so-called "source". We all know there isn't much there!)
While maybe a somewhat fair offer in terms of trade value (though even that can be debated) this offer doesn't take LA's needs into considerration much at all.

LA doesn't need Gustavsson at all, even if they did deal Bernier, and MacArthur is the same as what LA already has; an average-sized two-way player with some skill but not enough to really make a significant difference.

LA likely won't deal Bernier at all until Quick is locked up long-term, but if they did, it'd have to be in a package deal for someone who can legitimately get the offense firing. Who on toronto can honestly do that? Kessel likely is the only answer, and no way Toronto deals Kessel for Bernier.

I also doubt LA deals Bernier in a deal to get Grabovski, as I don't think he's either a Sutter/Lombardi type of player, nor do I think he's the type of guy to kick start the offense for LA.

LA likely, IMO, will either go balls out for a Parise-type, or go low-key and try to improve the lower lines with guys like Gaustad, Moen, etc. I expect the biggest pick up the Kings will do is take a flyer on a guy like Prospal or Huselius from Columbus, or a similar skilled/cost forward.

Maybe after the season the Kings and Leafs can start doing some talks about Bernier for Kadri/Frattin/Colbourne or some other younger forwards/prospects.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Or
Varlamov got a 1st, potentially top 10 but just a 1st. Your asking for 2 firsts and a 2nd for Bernier? Take the 1st or Colborne/Namestnikov out and it seems more fair

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
Or
Not sure on the Leafs one (not a big fan of Ross TBH) but I'd be all over the Lightning one. To bad this is from a Kings fan as I'm sure the Bolts fans will have a hay day with it.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
namttebih

Penner, Bernier
for
Gusto, nobody

Now you have cap space to deal for a proper top 6.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
Penner, Bernier
for
Gusto, nobody

Of course the Leafs would have to deal away Macarthur for the cap space

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Varlamov got a 1st, potentially top 10 but just a 1st. Your asking for 2 firsts and a 2nd for Bernier? Take the 1st or Colborne/Namestnikov out and it seems more fair
Varlamov was traded for a first in 2012 and a second in 2013

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:20 PM
SFKingshomer

Keep Bernier until we see how Quick performs in the playoffs and he signs an extension. Go for a smaller deal like the ones mentioned. Huselius makese sense considering his familiarity with Sutter

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
Penner, Bernier
for
Gusto, nobody

How is trading away a winger and a goalie for another more expensive goalie
and upgrade at our left wing position ???????
BTW Penner is UFA after this season and his salary is off the books if he isn't willing to sign for peanuts.

So by adding a more expensive goalie we save more salary ????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote