HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Encouraged OYLer Opines ...

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 02:59 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Encouraged OYLer Opines ...

Some Copper & Blue fans drink from a tankard still half-full of good cheer. Some Edmonton hockey enthusiasts' lips are purpled and pucker at a half-empty glass of sour grapes. Choosing abstinence in forebearance of the excess of intoxication, most fans sip cautiously at that locally bottled water, somewhat plainly labelled, Wait and See. Precariously perched in 8th place in the Western Conference standings, sporting a record of 5 wins, 5 losses, 2 ties, with no overtime losses, most currently, 'the boys on the road trip bus' have punctuated their play with question marks while showing some signs of real improvement.

But will a visit to the little Apple reveal a wormy spoiled pulp or the crisp bite of explosive flavour? Will our young Buds, after a brief flowering bloom into uneven colours, bare fruit and become the apples of the Edmonton fans' eyes? For the Oilers, a team in transition, the Toronto test, scheduled tomorrow offers no relief from tasty, and sometimes tasteless, scrutiny. The Leafs sitting in 6th place in the Eastern Conference with a 6-3-0-1 record in their last ten games will be looking to improve their home (2-2-1-1) record. The 'Oil' 1-3-1-0 on the road must continue to win on the road or fall out of playoff contention. But schedules have their positives too. Fortunately for the Oilers, who will be rested and waiting in Hogtown, Toronto plays in New Jersey tonight, which is never an easy game to recover from - win or lose. Poaching on the back end of Toronto's two nighter should offer Edmonton an opportunity to take advantage.

But who will show up wearing the visitor's jerseys for the early game on HNIC at the heart of Saturday night? Will it be the young passing phenom Hemsky, who sits with a team-leading 9 points, looking to leap into double digits, or the -6 liability sophomore who has recently blended so effortlessly into the Oilers' worst ... oops ... I mean, first line? Along with Horcoff and Smyth, our designated skill guys have lanquished their way to a miserable collective minus 20. Hence three rather large questions are all too well marked.

Showing signs of real improvement, Captain Smith, leading by example at plus 8, has had the yeomen service of his assistant captain "Chopper" Moreau. Ethan, piloting the third line, has helped improve the Oiler's record in the last ten games to 4-4-2-0. Consistently Moreau has filed flight plans to the net, then arrived on time. Four goals and 3 assists number his flight recorder. With Reasoner and Pisani helping to rev-up the intensity, the RMP line, which collectively is a plus 24, has all turboprops firing individually on 8+ cylinders.

Line 2 in the non-Knocking firing order has snakebit Radek Dvorak jetting around on right wing. Near miss Dvo has chipped in 4 assists and is a respectable plus 5. With 3 goals and 5 helpers, Mike York, who too has been flying, looks soon to find the afterburners and burst out offensively. Defensively dependable Mike while on the ice in even-strength situations is a plus 6. Recently promoted to 2nd line left wing Raffi Torres has proven his flight readiness.

Until blind-sided by the Zdeno Chara 747, Isbister looked to be sparking the 4th line into being the deciding factor. Young aces in training Tony Salmelainen and Peter Sarno acquitted themselves admirably. But whether Big Georges will continues to thumb a ride with Chimera in the Press Box will be a contentious coaching call to say the least. But in TO size will matter and a beefed up brigade, manned with newly motivated soldiers, determined not to be so slow footed, makes this a difficult game-time decision.

But a roster that does not include a reinvigorated and more defensively committed Ryan Smyth, Ales Hemsky, and Sean Horcoff will not claim victory in the muddied confines of Hogtown. So whether our other Assistant Captain returns to the center of attention or just begins again to toil on left wing is at once both the non-critical question and the explicable answer. Now for your thoughts fellow cyberhockey fans.

Old
11-07-2003, 03:50 PM
igor*

Good stuff, OYler There is zero chance of your writing style being confused with anyone else here.

On the TO game: Curious to note that the bookies have the Oilers at near even odds with the Leafs, slight underdogs. That's pretty good odds for a road team on game 3 of a 6-gamer. Granted the hogtowners are playing the 2nd of a B2B.

Personally I think the Oilers should be expected to get at least a tie, if not a win. Toronto benefit from playing in the weak Eastern conference ... but they simply aren't a very good team. No excuses for the Oilers not outchancing the Leafs tomorrow, and with even average luck and average goaltending ... the Oil should expect to win IMO.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Good stuff, OYler There is zero chance of your writing style being confused with anyone else here.

Ha ha ha. I was thinking something similar. I enjoy the diversity that can be found here.

I too think we can pull out a big win. I also think we're gonna go 4-1-1 on this road trip. Should be easily attainable.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:29 AM
oilflash

Quote:
But a roster that does not include a reinvigorated and more defensively committed Ryan Smyth, Ales Hemsky, and Sean Horcoff will not claim victory in the muddied confines of Hogtown. So whether our other Assistant Captain returns to the center of attention or just begins again to toil on left wing is at once both the non-critical question and the explicable answer. Now for your thoughts fellow cyberhockey fans.
My thoughts .... well you asked for it!

#1 - Thanks for your "defense" of my comments in the other thread; what you said was interesting but I am capable of defending myself. But thanks away.

#2 - The last time I asked you a question you didn't answer it. That's just not polite!

#3 - In this post, you talk first about drinks, then fruit, then pilots and flying, then foot soldiers. Maybe you should pick one metaphor and stick with it. You might also shorten your posted comments, or perhaps break up your comments into two or three posts, then I wouldn't have to work so hard to get what you're saying.

Old
11-08-2003, 01:53 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor

On the TO game: Curious to note that the bookies have the Oilers at near even odds with the Leafs, slight underdogs. That's pretty good odds for a road team on game 3 of a 6-gamer. Granted the hogtowners are playing the 2nd of a B2B.

Personally I think the Oilers should be expected to get at least a tie, if not a win. Toronto benefit from playing in the weak Eastern conference ... but they simply aren't a very good team. No excuses for the Oilers not outchancing the Leafs tomorrow, and with even average luck and average goaltending ... the Oil should expect to win IMO.
Thanx igor, I enjoy your comments and always read them. But like Mizral I sometimes need an explanation of how you ingeniously work the stats. I sure hope you are right when you say, "No excuses for the Oilers not outchancing the Leafs tomorrow(tonight)."

Closed Thread