HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Crap From Jack

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
  #51
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,126
vCash: 500
Thing is, he's not having offensive difficulties/occasional turnover because he is over the top.

He's having offensive difficulties because he lost precision on his precision 1-timer, and he's having the occasional turnover because he's playing an instinct/defensive style on the team's hardest minutes.

The guy needs a break into a 2nd pairing, I'd say. Every player can't just keep pulling heavy top pairing duties every single game of their career starting Season 2.

If anything, he's probably under a bit too much pressure for a bit too long.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
  #52
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Our friendly neighbourhood hack is at it again. I'm posting the link via Yahoo so the Gazette gets fewer hits on this garbage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...gaz-ca-6035011

Once again, I can't help but feel compelled to respond in some small way to this talentless hack of a writer who should've been fired years ago.

Thanks for this. Now I need to go get a squeegee to remove all the self righteousness that's oozing from my monitor.

BTW Jack, why mention the guy's skin colour in the first place?

1. So what? Happens all the time with young defenseman. He's GOING to make those kinds of mistakes going forward so get used to it. Development takes time and it's even worse when idiots like yourself are out there on your pulpits screaming at them.

2. There was nothing disgraceful about this at all. And you have no idea what was going on here so I'm not sure why you're back on your high horse.

3. You're one for three.

The guy messed up. Again, it's going to happen. Everyone knows that he screwed up Jack... and HE probably knows it too. As for the conversation, you have no idea what the hell they were talking about.

As for you saying "he'd better be" better than this... you're talking about a 22 year old defenseman who's in his 2nd year in the league. He's going to get better. Only an idiot couldn't see this. And only an even bigger idiot would write about it in a local newspaper.

Wait a second... didn't you say that the Habs got it right last year and that you always believed in Price? Wasn't this after years of bashing the heck out of him? Then (without apologizing) you came back with your usual crap of "I knew it all along" and now you're back with more of this crap.

Halak's hot streak coincides nicely with the arrival of Ken Hitchcock btw. It's great that he's doing well too and everyone wishes him well, but I'm pretty sure that Price's numbers would be a heck of a lot better over there too. The Blues are playing amazingly well. The Canadiens... not so much. And Price's numbers on a club like this are more than respectable btw. He hasn't been as good as usual but he's certainly not the reason we're struggling.

Who the hell said this? Nobody is saying the guy is Patrick Roy. The only reason you have to come out with this kind of crap is because you need to justify the vitriol you're spewing here.


So if Price doesn't become Ken Dryden then the Canadiens are going to be just one more mediocre team? This is just about the dumbest thing I've seen you write Jack and that's sayng... a lot.

The Canadiens need better players and until this happens we WILL remain a mediocre team. I don't care if Ken Dryden was on this team or not, it's not going anywhere until we have better players up front. PK Subban is not the problem. Carey Price is not the problem. We are losing DESPITE having these guys Jack. And maybe if you come down from your self righteous soapbox you'll be able to see this you talentless hack.
Good rant LG, agree with you. The problem with Habs is not the young guys.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:55 AM
  #53
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I'm not a fan of sensationalist journalism. I'm not a fan of those who catter to emotions instead of reason. I don't like articles by journalists who try to play armchair GM and tell the people in charge what to do. I hate fans who do the same thing and think they know better. I don't mind speculation. I don't mind those who are clearly only giving their outlook on the situation and know they don't know it all.

But there's one thing that bug me more than anything: people who blame the media for this team being crap. That is surreal to me. Nobody asked Gauthier and Molson to trade Cammalleri. Nobody asked them to fire JM. If they're too chicken**** to stand up for themselves and take decisions on facts that they know (because they know much, much more than anyone covering the team), then they're clueless and they shouldn't run a franchise. I'm not saying they made those moves based on the public's reaction or because of journalists. But if they did, they shouldn't be running an NHL franchise, especially not this one.

Yes, this team is covered. Too much. Journalists are, for the most part, drama queens. The darkest day in Habs' history happens every other day it seems. But at the end of the day, if Patrice Brisebois can come back and play for us again, I'd like to think that the true impact of journalists on this team is minimal.

It's one thing we have to deal with here in Montréal. But that comes with a passionate crowd. An amazing atmosphere at the Bell Center. A huge amount of coverage for those who want to know what's going on with the team. A large pool of population with whom you can discuss the team with.

That's way better than having to worry how many more years you'll be able to support the team. That's way better than having an arena that's half empty and that cannot get a chant started. That's way better than watching a team that has a budget so low, they're more worried about reaching the cap floor than respecting the salary cap.

Stop excusing this team's performances by shifting the blame on something so ridiculous. Gainey stood up for his players publicly when needed. Gauthier, meanwhile, came out and promised he would can the coach at the end of the season.

Have some balls. It's part of the job. It's part of the market.
Good post dude. PG: Run the damn team and stop worrying about the media queens who never scored a goal in their life, gave a hit, took a hit, or knew bench panic when the game is not going well.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:17 AM
  #54
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Good post dude. PG: Run the damn team and stop worrying about the media queens who never scored a goal in their life, gave a hit, took a hit, or knew bench panic when the game is not going well.
I'm not quoting that guy but he's wrong. He builds his entire rant on a faulty premise: they made moves in reaction to media pressure. Which they did not. Not Cammy and definitely not Martin.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:09 AM
  #55
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
The part about Karlsson seals it, Jack Todd:



What's even funnier is that some people from other fanbases with a hate-on for Subban will read that and think he's a genius.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:34 AM
  #56
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Basically, Todd is saying Subban isn't doing it the "white" way...

Comming from there, it's not really surprising.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:12 AM
  #57
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,710
vCash: 500
as a part-time sens fan i can say that karlsson is better defensively...






















than last year. he still gets caught pinching (if you call playing like a winger pinching) but is more supported by his teammates (sorta like how gill was giving subban the space to **** around last year).

also, he doesn't face the same opposition as subban. like, not close...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  #58
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not quoting that guy but he's wrong. He builds his entire rant on a faulty premise: they made moves in reaction to media pressure. Which they did not. Not Cammy and definitely not Martin.
No, here's what I'm saying:

Some people blame the media for this team being bad. I say, if you truly believe the media had that much influence on management, then management is terrible. Media is something you have to deal with in Montreal. It's useless to blame a team's record on those guys. They'll always be there as long as there's a passionate crowd. That's something the owner and general manager have to deal with and you can't discount it. In every market, there are different issues. In Florida, they have to deal with an internal budget. In Montreal, we have to deal with journalists. But the good thing is: they don't have to listen to them! They aren't running the team, PG is.

Gauthier did try to calm the fans and journalists down by promising he'd get a French coach at the end of the season. That is worrisome to me. You have to wonder how many decisions they take to please people. I hope none. And I have no idea if they do or don't.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
  #59
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
No, here's what I'm saying:

Some people blame the media for this team being bad. I say, if you truly believe the media had that much influence on management, then management is terrible. Media is something you have to deal with in Montreal. It's useless to blame a team's record on those guys. They'll always be there as long as there's a passionate crowd. That's something the owner and general manager have to deal with and you can't discount it. In every market, there are different issues. In Florida, they have to deal with an internal budget. In Montreal, we have to deal with journalists. But the good thing is: they don't have to listen to them! They aren't running the team, PG is.

Gauthier did try to calm the fans and journalists down by promising he'd get a French coach at the end of the season. That is worrisome to me. You have to wonder how many decisions they take to please people. I hope none. And I have no idea if they do or don't.
Gauthier never said he would get a francophone coach, he just said it's an issue they would look at in the summer. That may just be teaching Cunneyworth french or hiring a french guy...or making it a point that it doesn't matter.

I don't think the media affects the front office but I think it affects the players like the whole outrage when Cunney worth was hired...BS like taht that have no bearing on hockey is not fun for the players, puts them in a tough situation.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:15 AM
  #60
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
If this had been one of the french media, it wouldn't be looked at so negatively.
No offense but this is one of the most far off comments I've heard on HF in a while. The French media is the laughing stock of HF, even Jack Todd garners more respect than those clowns (most of them, obviously not all) and that's saying a lot LOL.

No way people would go easier on say... Raymond, if he wrote this.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
  #61
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yes, it would. French and English Journalists get crucified just as often from posters with no obvious bias. Don't bring that debate in here.
If anything being an anglo I'm more offended by idiots like Todd.

For one I can understand them better For two it's easier to relate to somebody of your own language... usually...

The guy is a clown. He isn't looking at anything objectively, he isn't really looking at all in the first place. He basically trolls HF, looks for convo topics that get people angry and he reiterates what has already been said or defended here a million times already.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
  #62
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No offense but this is one of the most far off comments I've heard on HF in a while. The French media is the laughing stock of HF, even Jack Todd garners more respect than those clowns (most of them, obviously not all) and that's saying a lot LOL.

No way people would go easier on say... Raymond, if he wrote this.
Guess you missed the thread about how R Tremblay being the best of the media in Quebec. And you missed my other post which was deleted.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:40 AM
  #63
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I actually look for Todd's stupid statements on this forum JUST to read your rants!! The only sad part is how bang on your rants are when discussing this specimen.
The funny thing is Lafleurs Guy isn't exactly a fan of management, he isn't one to be fully optimistic about this team or anything, some might even think from having read his posts that he's actually one to side with a guy like Jack, but no, there are two sides to every argument and one thing I've noticed over the years. Both sides usually hate Jack Todd.

Even if Todd makes a point that is in favor of what you're saying he does so in such a poor way that it normally is more of a detriment to your argument than a positive

The guy is such a joke I don't even understand how he could be a legitimate journalist. His writing is drivel and this coming from a person who definitely isn't the best writer.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:42 AM
  #64
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Guess you missed the thread about how R Tremblay being the best of the media in Quebec. And you missed my other post which was deleted.
No I saw that thread and if you notice I didn't post in it because I disagree. However a week before that thread was made and many months prior all I've ever heard around here was that Raymond was a joke. I actually found it very surprising to see that thread. What's next Stephane Langdeau appreciation thread?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
  #65
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No I saw that thread and if you notice I didn't post in it because I disagree. However a week before that thread was made and many months prior all I've ever heard around here was that Raymond was a joke. I actually found it very surprising to see that thread. What's next Stephane Langdeau appreciation thread?
As long as it never reaches the Jean Charles appreciation thread I'm good.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
  #66
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not quoting that guy but he's wrong. He builds his entire rant on a faulty premise: they made moves in reaction to media pressure. Which they did not. Not Cammy and definitely not Martin.
They didn't fire JM because the media or fans told them to fire JM specifically agreed.

But people who were (erroneously in my opinion) calling for JM's head and the media people who fueled the notion that somehow firing him would magically turn the season around certainly played a role. Gauthier and co are not living in isolation from the Internet and the rest of the world.

He reacted completely the wrong way. Things were looking up and you could see it in the last 5-10 games under JM's tenure. Gauthier read his team wrong, reacted on impulse (the Pearn firing screamed the same thing) when he should have stayed the course and now he's reaping what he's sown. It completely took the bit of wind we had slowly built up in December out of the team's sails.

The poster who made the original comment could not be more right. The second a GM in Montreal allows fans and media to weigh in even a little on his decisions, we're in a heap of trouble. Not convinced? Look at what happened after he fired JM. A decision that was supported and encouraged by 75% of fans (if not more).


Last edited by Jigger77: 01-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  #67
Claimed Off Waivers
Registered User
 
Claimed Off Waivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
LOL at Jack's heroes and zeroes. What did Serena Williams do to get on his zeroes list?

Subban will be fine in the long run, Jack was wrong about Price and he'll be wrong about PK too.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
  #68
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
Hero: Lafleur's Guy
Zero: Jack Todd

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
  #69
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
They didn't fire JM because the media or fans told them to fire JM specifically agreed.

But people who were (erroneously in my opinion) calling for JM's head and the media people who fueled the notion that somehow firing him would magically turn the season around certainly played a role. Gauthier and co are not living in isolation from the Internet and the rest of the world.

He reacted completely the wrong way. Things were looking up and you could see it in the last 5-10 games under JM's tenure. Gauthier read his team wrong, reacted on impulse (the Pearn firing screamed the same thing) when he should have stayed the course and now he's reaping what he's sown. It completely took the bit of wind we had slowly built up in December out of the team's sails.

The poster who made the original comment could not be more right. The second a GM in Montreal allows fans and media to weigh in even a little on his decisions, we're in a heap of trouble. Not convinced? Look at what happened after he fired JM. A decision that was supported and encouraged by 75% of fans (if not more).
Gainey was "certainly" under the influence of fans and medias when he signed Cammy, Gionta, Gill, Spacek, Mara, and Moen, and gave our best D prospect for Gomez...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
  #70
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gainey was "certainly" under the influence of fans and medias when he signed Cammy, Gionta, Gill, Spacek, Mara, and Moen, and gave our best D prospect for Gomez...
i dont know if serious or not, but nobody predicted that summer, and how it happened.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
  #71
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gainey was "certainly" under the influence of fans and medias when he signed Cammy, Gionta, Gill, Spacek, Mara, and Moen, and gave our best D prospect for Gomez...
Gainey isn't under the influence of anybody. He's as stoic as they come. And he publicly defends his players when fans and media jump on them like rabid wolves. Were all of his decisions right? No, but nobody's are. At least he had some backbone and did what he thought was best for the team based on his experience, not that of some guy on a radio station.

Oh, and the moves you mention got us further in the playoffs that we have since 1993 in a single year.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
  #72
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The funny thing is Lafleurs Guy isn't exactly a fan of management, he isn't one to be fully optimistic about this team or anything, some might even think from having read his posts that he's actually one to side with a guy like Jack, but no, there are two sides to every argument and one thing I've noticed over the years. Both sides usually hate Jack Todd.

Even if Todd makes a point that is in favor of what you're saying he does so in such a poor way that it normally is more of a detriment to your argument than a positive

The guy is such a joke I don't even understand how he could be a legitimate journalist. His writing is drivel and this coming from a person who definitely isn't the best writer.
Yup, pretty much this.

It's one thing to criticize a player, that's fine. Damian Cox is extremely critical of the Leafs but he knows where the line is. It's fine to criticize the team and how a club is playing but Todd's attacks are personal. And for some reason he's seemingly always going after our younger players. His writing is sanctimonious and he really has no business writing for a professional newspaper. There's a real sinister aspect to his columns and I really wish the Gazette would relieve him of his duties because he's an embarassment to the newspaper.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-24-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
  #73
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yup, pretty much this.

It's one thing to criticize a player, that's fine but Todd's attacks are personal and he's seemingly always going after our younger players. His writing is sanctimonious and he really has no business writing for a professional newspaper. I really wish the Gazette would relieve him of his duties because he truly is an embarassment to the newspaper.
What I love about Jack is that he writes anything just to be controversial(just for the sake of being controversial) even if it means in one week he seems something that entirely contradicts what he says in previous weeks. His act is getting old and predictable it really really really bothers me that this guy has a job.

The Gazette might make money and get attention because he is controversial, but they fail to realize that they'd probably get more viewers if they have quality journalists especially in an environment like Montreal which is filled with trash.

Nothing would make me happier than to see this guy get the boot.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
  #74
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Gainey isn't under the influence of anybody. He's as stoic as they come. And he publicly defends his players when fans and media jump on them like rabid wolves. Were all of his decisions right? No, but nobody's are. At least he had some backbone and did what he thought was best for the team based on his experience, not that of some guy on a radio station.

Oh, and the moves you mention got us further in the playoffs that we have since 1993 in a single year.
Amen to that brother! Whatever anybody thinks of Gainey, you can't say he was influenced by anything other than this team's best interests. These radio and newspaper guys think they can manage or coach a team better than the existing group because they call themselves analysts. I can safely say that there are many posters on this board whose knowledge base and ideas are infinitely brighter and more realistic than these armchair GM's and coaches. There are a great many posters here whose opinions are held in greater regard to me than those of anybody on TSN990.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
  #75
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimed Off Waivers View Post
LOL at Jack's heroes and zeroes. What did Serena Williams do to get on his zeroes list?

Subban will be fine in the long run, Jack was wrong about Price and he'll be wrong about PK too.
Perhaps her inclusion was racially motivated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.