HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas Cheated?

Old
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
I don't understand why no one else is talking about this in the media.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:38 PM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
they do a 'dry scrape' - no water

regardless, it should not be permitted. should be an instant forfeit of the extra point up for grabs. that will end it.
Ahh thanks, I like learning.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Jumping

Quote:
they do a 'dry scrape' - no water

regardless, it should not be permitted. should be an instant forfeit of the extra point up for grabs. that will end it.
Should be made illegal (and probably will be) but since it is not now...

I'd say it ought to be a fine, which would be great because then this fool would have less money to give to Glen Beck.

I'm more p.o.'d that he wouldn't go to the White House. He (and his team) is not getting honored by the President, he is getting honored by the country.

He's a jerk. He could be the best goalie in the world but he's a jerk.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Should be made illegal (and probably will be) but since it is not now...

I'd say it ought to be a fine, which would be great because then this fool would have less money to give to Glen Beck.

I'm more p.o.'d that he wouldn't go to the White House. He (and his team) is not getting honored by the President, he is getting honored by the country.

He's a jerk. He could be the best goalie in the world but he's a jerk.

Kind of hard to fine him for something that A) is technically not illegal in the rulebook and B) something that some goalies normally have a tendency to do (squirt some water out before sipping it).

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Kind of hard to fine him for something that A) is technically not illegal in the rulebook and B) something that some goalies normally have a tendency to do (squirt some water out before sipping it).
I mean once it's illegal it should be a fine not a suspension or a goal or something.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Devastate

He didn't go to the white house?

What a *****. Politics should be put aside for something like that.

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I mean once it's illegal it should be a fine not a suspension or a goal or something.
???? it can't be a fine, or they'll ALL do it trying to get the extra point.

the solution is clear: a linesman watches each net during / before shootouts. a goalie does that = the other team wins the shootout.

watch how fast they'll learn to start doing the 'squirt some water out before sipping it' routine behind the nets.

no need to over think this one

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
pelts35.com

Gotta wonder if this would even be brought up if the flyers won in the shootout.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

if Bryz did it, a Bruin mishandled the puck and slipped in the crease, BOS fans would be EXACTLY the same

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 01-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
yes, if Bryz did it, a Bruin mishandled the puck and slipped in the crease, BOS fans would be EXACTLY the same
Doubt it because the bruins still won the game.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Thomas
"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

sounds like a 9/11 truther to me

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
sounds like a 9/11 truther to me
That's a bit hard to deduce....but yeah he sounds like a Tea Party ..Paulist type....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
That's a bit hard to deduce....but yeah he sounds like a Tea Party ..Paulist type....
He's pretty open about being a big Glenn Beck fan... make of that what you will.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

what a dummy, who wouldn't want to meet the first kenyan president in american history?

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
He's pretty open about being a big Glenn Beck fan... make of that what you will.
Ouch....ok I did not know that.....

Old
01-24-2012, 12:26 AM
qwertysac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I don't understand why no one else is talking about this in the media.
Because it's really not a big deal? You guys are really over reacting.

Like almost anyone who has played hockey has commented here, the amount of water he sprays has ZERO effect on the puck or matt reads penalty shot attempt.

The only time water affects the way a puck moves on ice is when there is a huge amount of it / a puddle and like someone else posted already, when that happens the puck will stop DEAD in it's tracks even if it is sliding considerably fast.

Also, ALOT of hockey players do this by habit and i personally do it too. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But every single time i go to take a drink from a water bottle i squirt a bit out on the ice before it put some in my mouth or on my face. It's just habit and it's clear as day to me that that's all Tim thomas did. Nothing more, nothing less.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Codith

Who cares, it wouldn't have made a difference anyways, Bryz would have still had to stop at least one ****ing puck (Which we knew wasn't going to happen)

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
MrHockey1982

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...or_obama_snub/

Quote:
Boston Bruins [team stats] all-world netminder Tim Thomas [stats] ignited a political firestorm — and drew a barrage of verbal slapshots from furious Democrats — when he brazenly snubbed President Obama by skipping the team’s Stanley Cup garden party at the White House yesterday.

“My advice to him is to stick to hockey,” said Phil Johnston, a top state Democrat who served under President Clinton. “I think Bruins players are taken seriously for their hockey, not for their politics.”

Thomas was the only member of the 2011 champs to skip yesterday’s ceremony honoring the team for its first Cup since 1972. In a posting on his Facebook page last night, Thomas wrote: “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties and Property of the People . . . Because I believe this, I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party.”

A native of Flint, Mich., Thomas wears a helmet adorned with the patriotic slogan “Don’t Tread on Me” and is a fan of conservative pundit Glenn Beck, formerly of Fox News.

The puck-stopper’s high-profile snub went viral as “Tim Thomas” became a trending topic on Twitter and Democrats hammered him, including lefty pundit Keith Olbermann, who fired off a tweet calling the goalie a “fool.”

Massachusetts Democratic Party spokesman Kevin Franck told the Herald: “I think anyone who really cares about the lives, liberty and happiness of the American people wouldn’t miss an opportunity to shake the hand of the man who got bin Laden.”

A White House spokesman declined to comment. Despite Thomas’ absence, Obama acknowledged the goaltender on the White House lawn: “This Stanley Cup was won by defense as much as by offense. Tim Thomas posted two shutouts in the Stanley Cup finals; set an all-time record for saves in the postseason. He also earned the honor of being only the second American ever to be recognized as the Stanley Cup Playoffs MVP.”

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said he had discussions with Thomas “over the past couple months” — apparently in an unsuccessful effort to convince the star goalie not to skip the ceremony.

“We’re like a family,” Chiarelli said. “We have our issues. You deal with them and move on, try and support everyone. This may or may not (overshadow the day), because the guys certainly enjoyed the day.”

Chiarelli said he could have given Thomas an ultimatum to attend — and could suspend him for refusing — but has opted not to take any action.

Thomas is the latest pro athlete to blow off a White House visit for political reasons.

Last year, retired Chicago Bears Hall of Fame lineman Dan Hampton said he was “not a fan of the guy in the White House” when he skipped a ceremony honoring the 25th anniversary of the Bears’ 1986 Super Bowl title. In 1996, former Green Bay Packers and Boston College tight end Mark Chmura, a Republican, skipped a meet-and-greet with President Clinton on moral grounds, citing the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Because it's really not a big deal? You guys are really over reacting.

Like almost anyone who has played hockey has commented here, the amount of water he sprays has ZERO effect on the puck or matt reads penalty shot attempt.

The only time water affects the way a puck moves on ice is when there is a huge amount of it / a puddle and like someone else posted already, when that happens the puck will stop DEAD in it's tracks even if it is sliding considerably fast.

Also, ALOT of hockey players do this by habit and i personally do it too. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But every single time i go to take a drink from a water bottle i squirt a bit out on the ice before it put some in my mouth or on my face. It's just habit and it's clear as day to me that that's all Tim thomas did. Nothing more, nothing less.
those are your opinions, i have seen pucks 'slow' and 'change direction' on water .. and not just on huge puddles. you have ZERO facts on how much water, exactly where & whether or not it affected Read.

and, that's NOT just what TT did - he pointed the bottle down - to get the water at the opening, and he then pointed it at the front of the crease and sprayed it.

if he he was just squirting some out by habit, then he would have sprayed it straight ahead of him - since he was standing still & facing the left of his crease, the water would have gone off to the left [shooter's right approaching the net]

we clearly see how he looked right at the spot where he wanted the water to land, instead of merely squirting some out

bush move in my my view

Old
01-24-2012, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Oh jeesh..."Don't tread on me" and Glenn Beck fan... Yup he's an idealogical Teabagger....

Old
01-24-2012, 09:32 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
those are your opinions, i have seen pucks 'slow' and 'change direction' on water .. and not just on huge puddles. you have ZERO facts on how much water, exactly where & whether or not it affected Read.

and, that's NOT just what TT did - he pointed the bottle down - to get the water at the opening, and he then pointed it at the front of the crease and sprayed it.

if he he was just squirting some out by habit, then he would have sprayed it straight ahead of him - since he was standing still & facing the left of his crease, the water would have gone off to the left [shooter's right approaching the net]

we clearly see how he looked right at the spot where he wanted the water to land, instead of merely squirting some out

bush move in my my view
And you have the same amount of facts as the others who think that the couple second squirt of water has little to no impact. We will agree to disagree, although I find it somewhat humorous that you have spent the time to analyze how/where he squirted the water versus if he was just squirting it out of habit. I guess Thomas is psychic and knew exactly where Read was going to stickhandle and squirted the water exactly in that spot.

Bottom line, the Flyers lost because aBryzmal didn't make a single save in the shootout, not because of a single squirt of water from a Gatorade bottle.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
And you have the same amount of facts as the others who think that the couple second squirt of water has little to no impact.
i think you mean to suggest that I do think it had an impact.

please quote where I said it had an impact ? i have no idea. but it still should not be permitted.

Quote:
you have spent the time to analyze how/where he squirted the water
it took 1 minute to watch the video twice. you can see he knows exactly what he is doing.

bush league move, impact or not. it's illegal to put anything on the ice that the refs deems as possibly affecting the puck, i'd bet this will be closely looked at in the future as it should, whether you agree or not

Old
01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Reminder: This forum is not for political talk. If you'd like to discuss Thomas' political views, please use the Politics Forum.

01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
i think you mean to suggest that I do think it had an impact.

please quote where I said it had an impact ? i have no idea. but it still should not be permitted.
You have posted

"i have seen pucks 'slow' and 'change direction' on water" and "the puck will stick if the water is not completely frozen"

Aren't you saying here that it has an impact? If you don't think it has an impact, then why are you making a mountain of a molehill?

That said to say that the offending party should forfeit is ridiculous. At most I will give you that if an official sees it that he will squeegee the area that was watered down.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
You have posted

"i have seen pucks 'slow' and 'change direction' on water" and "the puck will stick if the water is not completely frozen"

Aren't you saying here that it has an impact?
exactly, i never said TT's stunt had an impact.

i'm saying, just like when a goalie piles up snow, that it COULD have an impact - as for Sunday, we will never be sure.

as for the penalty that should be assessed, that's up to the league