HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators recall Mark Borowiecki and Andre Petersson from Binghamton

Old
01-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Topside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
To be honest though, I'd rather have a skilled guy playing more with creative players rather than Greening and Condra leading the charge. They were and still are in over their heads in offensive roles. Perry and Getzlaf were making a mockery of them. Why not give Petersson a chance, maybe create a spark the other two weren't providing...
If Perry and Getzlaf were bullying NHLers like Condra and Greening imagine what they would do against Petersson in his first game. Earning your ice-time isn't just about putting skilled players in a position to succeed, it's about creating an atmosphere that encourages hard-work, perseverance, and dedication. Look at what Zack Smith went through to get the 3rd line center job. When you earn your spot instead of having it given to you, you prove to your team-mates that you belong and therefore earn their trust and support. Very valuable things in a long season.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topside View Post
If Perry and Getzlaf were bullying NHLers like Condra and Greening imagine what they would do against Petersson in his first game. Earning your ice-time isn't just about putting skilled players in a position to succeed, it's about creating an atmosphere that encourages hard-work, perseverance, and dedication. Look at what Zack Smith went through to get the 3rd line center job. When you earn your spot instead of having it given to you, you prove to your team-mates that you belong and therefore earn their trust and support. Very valuable things in a long season.
Hard to argue with any of this. Good points.

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Ron Jeremy

Petersson looked awful small out there yesterday.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
Petersson looked awful small out there yesterday.
But played like he was bigger than Bobby Butler.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I didn't see that. Not sure why Butler has fallen out of favour on here, I guess because he isn't scoring consistently but IMO he is getting his chances, he has hit a number of posts & eventually they will go in. IMO he is the better player at this point, I'm still waiting to see what the fuss is about Petersson who to me looks like Filatov.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:05 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
I agree with this. Peterson wasn't scared to go into the traffic areas. He got man handled pretty easily, but that always seemed to light a fire under him and he would go looking for a big hit. You can't teach that heart and drive.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I didn't see that. Not sure why Butler has fallen out of favour on here, I guess because he isn't scoring consistently but IMO he is getting his chances, he has hit a number of posts & eventually they will go in. IMO he is the better player at this point, I'm still waiting to see what the fuss is about Petersson who to me looks like Filatov.
You've waited a whole 5 minutes of ice time.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:01 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You've waited a whole 5 minutes of ice time.
I'm sure we will see more of him as the season progresses & the Sens lock up a playoff spot & they want to rest players & have a look at minor leaguers a little more. I doubt it changes my opinion of him though but I hope he proves me wrong & starts to score or put up pts. That goes for any of our smallish prospects, it would be great if any of them turn into a St Louis, I'm not holding my breath though.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Petersson did ok for his NHL debut. He is pretty weak but he did show a willingness to play the game the way it ought to be played, by going to the dirty areas, trying to hit players and battling for the puck.

Ideally, you and I would like to see a larger player but that is primarily due to our bias against smaller players. The bias is logical considering the pack that there is a higher probability that smaller players will be too weak to be successful and will show a lack of willingness to go to the dirty areas and both make and receive hits (this is a big reason why there are so few small players in the league), but at times this can misguide our judgement. While it would be nice if Petersson was a bigger player, he absolutely needs to become stronger. IMO his lack of physical strength will likely keep him out of the NHL for the next two seasons. This in part is due to the fact that he will have to compete with Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Stone who are all highly skilled and much more physically mature prospects.

In regards to the "fuss" about Petersson, you need to realize that just as we have a bias against smaller players, there are other posters who have a bias either towards smaller players or towards finesse players. This is why you will see many posters on here over hype Petersson and believe that he is far more NHL ready than he actually his. The hype in part is valid due to Petersson's performance thus far in the AHL, but it is a little over blown at this point. But then again it is very hard to assess a player solely on one performance.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:07 PM
testinz

I think they should play Boro instead of Carkner.

testinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I'm sure we will see more of him as the season progresses & the Sens lock up a playoff spot & they want to rest players & have a look at minor leaguers a little more. I doubt it changes my opinion of him though but I hope he proves me wrong & starts to score or put up pts. That goes for any of our smallish prospects, it would be great if any of them turn into a St Louis, I'm not holding my breath though.
I imagine your opinion is based off of 5 minutes of ice time when he was only told hours before the game that he'd be playing and he was told to keep it simple...which isn't really his game.

I'd wait a little longer to form an opinion.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Petersson did ok for his NHL debut. He is pretty weak but he did show a willingness to play the game the way it ought to be played, by going to the dirty areas, trying to hit players and battling for the puck.

Ideally, you and I would like to see a larger player but that is primarily due to our bias against smaller players. The bias is logical considering the pack that there is a higher probability that smaller players will be too weak to be successful and will show a lack of willingness to go to the dirty areas and both make and receive hits (this is a big reason why there are so few small players in the league), but at times this can misguide our judgement. While it would be nice if Petersson was a bigger player, he absolutely needs to become stronger. IMO his lack of physical strength will likely keep him out of the NHL for the next two seasons. This in part is due to the fact that he will have to compete with Zibanejad, Silfverberg and Stone who are all highly skilled and much more physically mature prospects.

In regards to the "fuss" about Petersson, you need to realize that just as we have a bias against smaller players, there are other posters who have a bias either towards smaller players or towards finesse players. This is why you will see many posters on here over hype Petersson and believe that he is far more NHL ready than he actually his. The hype in part is valid due to Petersson's performance thus far in the AHL, but it is a little over blown at this point. But then again it is very hard to assess a player solely on one performance.
Agreed & well said.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:19 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I imagine your opinion is based off of 5 minutes of ice time when he was only told hours before the game that he'd be playing and he was told to keep it simple...which isn't really his game.

I'd wait a little longer to form an opinion.
My opinion is based on everything I have seen of him to this point & development camps. I agree that he tried hard & tried to throw some hits in the 5 minutes of ice time, I don't dispute that. I think Shane Prince is a better prospect to be honest though & will eventually play in the NHL. He is the one smallish forward that Ottawa has that I think has the best chance.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
My opinion is based on everything I have seen of him to this point & development camps. I agree that he tried hard & tried to throw some hits in the 5 minutes of ice time, I don't dispute that. I think Shane Prince is a better prospect to be honest though & will eventually play in the NHL. He is the one smallish forward that Ottawa has that I think has the best chance.
Yeah I don't have much doubt Prince will be an NHLer. Hands, feet, head all too good.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:23 PM
warner41

Quote:
Originally Posted by testinz View Post
I think they should play Boro instead of Carkner.
I agree, as he gets more minutes he'll become more confident. He has better hockey sense and is more skilled than Carkner. He has assumed a leadership role at every level and you can't really teach that. There is no doubt I am biased towards Boro but in the end he's a better all around player with a lot more promise.

warner41 is offline   Reply With Quote