HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Fielder to Detroit 9/214 ROFL! Jays sign (P) F. Cordero 1 yr 4.5M

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
over the past 5 years, Frankie has averaged 38.8 saves.

Old
trellaine201

Even though he's old i thought cardero would get more $ and longer term. Too bad our starting pitching is very questionable....same as last year. Too many early exits.

Old
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macoun4life View Post
Tigers have the best team in a extremely weak Central. Not out of the question that they finish with the best record in baseball this upcoming year! Verlander, Cabrera and Prince...THAT IS LETHAL!
ya man, Verlander pitching once every 5 days..extremely lethal!

Old
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
I love how I read this Jays thread all summer, and of the people complaining about the Jays not signing Fielder or Darvish I didn't see any of them at all post in the summer.
Not true, that generalization is played out.

Good signing, like the idea of Cordero and it's only 1 year so if he blows it, it's no big deal

Old
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
ryno23

This is my view on the whole Rogers cheapness thing. Its just an opinion and if you do not like just scroll down and no need to be tough behind a computer screen.

Fans in LA, DET, MIA. TEX all have hype to for their team and know they have a shot at the playoffs

What is the difference between the Jays and the Tigers right now on paper if you took Fielder out of the lineup.

Verlander > Romero
Cabrera = Baustista

But after that the Jays stack up to the Tigers pretty well and you could argue are even slightly better.

The difference is an owner willing to go all in and take a shot at it. If the deal is bad so be it but you gotta take the chance to win and you deal with it after the fact. You cannot be afraid to take a chance for great things to happen. You can't play what ifs cause that leads to mediocrity.

What the casual fan is desperate for is meaningful games in Aug and Sept. At one point this was the model franchise in baseball. They needed a player they went after it

Are the Jays on the right path to put a contending ball club? No one here can say if these prospect will pan out in the next 3 years to make them a contending ball club. Fans have seen enough Russ Adam's type come thru Skydome and now Rogers Center to know that unless its proven talent its a crap shoot. Fans are still waiting 4 years for Snider to become that star they touted for years. What about Rios how great of a star is he? Prospects are great but they are just that prospects. What happens in 3 years if they are still waiting for the next wave to be good then what do you start again with a new wave? When does the cycle stop?

So what comes first fans showing up to the park with blind faith that AA is putting a contender on the field more fans = more revenue. Rogers "may" put money back into the franchise or does Rogers need to make a move to excite fans to come to the park and increase profits in return.

I tell you one thing whether it was Fielder, Darvish, Reyes or any other good player signed it would have given the casual fans a reason to come out early in the season to see what they have its HYPE and if they got off to a good start then they may keep those fans coming back and now you have 30-35k a game at the park which is huge.

Right now you will be lucky to pull 20k again cause the casual fan who is what your after have no reason to be hyped about the season just another 81-81 finish in 4th place. Yes the hardcore fans will tell you all the prospects are great but lets be honest in Toronto with 4 million people how many hardcore fans are their? Its mostly casual fans who want to see a winner play. Evidence is when they were good and contending for a division title attendance was 4 million

Now don't get me wrong I really hope the kids come thru and this team contends way into Sept and makes some noise cause I do like AA but I think he would be that much better of a GM if he was given payroll flexibility to do what he needs to make the playoffs.

Last edited by ryno23: 01-24-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Even though he's old i thought cardero would get more $ and longer term. Too bad our starting pitching is very questionable....same as last year. Too many early exits.
Questionable, yes. But also has great potential.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Too many early exits indeed. Everyone except for Romero regressed last year so there's really only one way for the rotation to go. Atleast our bullpen seems like it can handle a bit more pressure now with the additions made.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Can you imagine making a contribution to the discussion. Guess not.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Lincecum signs a 2 yr 40.5mil deal. Sounds like he wants to hit free agency depending on the team's outlook at that time.
He doesn't seem intent on posting anything sensible. He's clearly way in over his head discussing a sport in which he has no knowledge about.

As for Lincecum, that's good speculation. However, the Giants will also be unloading a ton of salary around that time so you can expect them to be able to afford Lincecum. With Cain being a free-agent after this season, no way will they risk losing them both.

Quote:
Can you imagine the Jays making the playoffs...
Yes. I can. And my mind can separate reality from immaginary things; can yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post

What if the Tigers paid him $35 a year for the next 5 years which takes him to 32 years old and he performs just like he has done up to now which is not a stretch. Then the last 4 years are worth 44 million so that would be $11 a year and not bad even if he slips a bit in productions easy to get rid of $44 million in today's mlb.
No way do you pay a guy, who barely even makes the top ten players in baseball, that much money. The fact he got even close to what Pujols had signed for is disgusting.

Quote:
Well if you can imagine the Jays in the playoffs, then I can imagine Cabrera playing 3rd, even though he'll probably DH this year.

ps. Not any team can look dangerous on paper. In fact I could ramble off a quite a few teams that don't look dangerous on paper, the Jays being one of them.

Baseball differences aside...

GO LEAFS GO!
So you can imagine Cabrera playing third, but see him as a DH? Do you not see the problem here? If not, let's just say I can imagine the Leafs winning a Stanley Cup under Ron Wilson as a head coach. Let's just say 'probably not' though.

You are right, Go Leafs Go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Jays seem content to not lose out on strategic assets...Japanese pitcher we were supposed to be top choice? lost

Fielder wanted to come here? Lost
Please, please. Get a clue.

Any link that tells me, Fielder wanted to come here or Darvish himself saying 'Toronto was a top choice' may earn your credability back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Cordero to #BlueJays, pending physical. One year, $4.5M. Will set up for Santos. #MLB
Fantastic signing. Cordero + Santos + Oliver at half the cost is much greater than having Papelbon, Madson, etc. I love our bullpen work this year. It will be a serious weapon.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

We need a big year from Rasmus too, that will go a long way.

Getting Cordero probably bumps us from Uehara.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Lebanese Leaf

At the end of the day, I still love the Jays and the direction we're going. All my pissing about FA's aside, the core is the best I have ever watched (I was too young in 1992-1993) and we can possibly make some noise this year if the pieces fall in place. Our offense is unreal, and with this Cordero signing I dare anyone to find me 5 better bull-pens in the MLB. If that pitching can come together, then watch out...

Old
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
wisdomkid

We have been clinging on to potential for a while. I am all for a proper rebuild, and I am happy AA isnt throwing money to just anyone. But with the signing of Darvish and Fielder both to the AL, its just getting worse for us. Teams around us are upgrading while we still havent changed a lot from last year.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomkid View Post
We have been clinging on to potential for a while. I am all for a proper rebuild, and I am happy AA isnt throwing money to just anyone. But with the signing of Darvish and Fielder both to the AL, its just getting worse for us. Teams around us are upgrading while we still havent changed a lot from last year.
Wisdomlesskid is how you should be called henceforth.

The Jays lost probably around 11 games because of the bullpen, in all honesty. They blew how many saves? 25? With Oliver, Cordero, Santos, Frasor, Janssen they're much better, and they're not gonna blow 25 saves. So how can you say they haven't changed a lot from last year?

Old
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Loso

If we still pull off that trade for Uehara, this bullpen will be absolutely unstoppable which will help make up for injuries and a potential **** 4-5 starting duo.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Uehara won't happen now. We have seven man BP.

Cordero, Santos, Frasor, Janssen, Oliver, Villaneuva, Litsch/Perez

Looks pretty good.

Old
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomkid View Post
You can't force the development of young talent. While it may seem like the some teams around us are getting better, it doesn't mean we won't be the better team in a few years down the road. We're at a different developmental stage than they are. There are alot of young pieces with high potential, nothing we can do but let them play and gain experience.

----------------

For those asking about Uehara. Mike Wilner reported that AA was close to acquiring him the last day or two and he used his NTC to stop the deal.

Old
shully
Night's Watch

Love the Cordero signing. Win-win. Now we've upgraded our biggest weakness from last year and people are STILL complaining!

Old
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I still think people feel Bautista will regress.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Uehara won't happen now. We have seven man BP.

Cordero, Santos, Frasor, Janssen, Oliver, Villaneuva, Litsch/Perez

Looks pretty good.
Solid.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Dear AA, please stop all American League teams from improving. Sincerely, Ignorant Fan #2257

Old
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Wisdomlesskid is how you should be called henceforth.

The Jays lost probably around 11 games because of the bullpen, in all honesty. They blew how many saves? 25? With Oliver, Cordero, Santos, Frasor, Janssen they're much better, and they're not gonna blow 25 saves. So how can you say they haven't changed a lot from last year?
Above all, I felt that the bullpen was our biggest downfall and had we had a stronger pen, the team could have cut down those heartbreaking losses (won more) and thus, could have been thicker in both the wild card and division races.

These improvements to the bullpen could be much more than we anticipate.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Wow, Cordero too! Our pen is night and day better with quality and depth. I guess this leaves even Carreno out of the picture.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
Above all, I felt that the bullpen was our biggest downfall and had we had a stronger pen, the team could have cut down those heartbreaking losses (won more) and thus, could have been thicker in both the wild card and division races.

These improvements to the bullpen could be much more than we anticipate.
Exactly. We blew so many, I think the number was 25, but I could be wrong.

I guess I am in the camp that fears that Bautista will slip back to 20HR lol.

Forgot about Carreno, we might have a lot of competition in the BP.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
On paper the bullpen prolbem is solved. The hitting should be good. The starters concern me though.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I love it, we now have the ammo to deal Frasor, Oliver and Cordero during the season for longer term pieces either like another Rasmus deal or possibly straight up for prospects and we will have Carreno, Perez, Jenkins ready to succeed them in the pen.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Or they could help us. I think AA signed them with that intention first.

Closed Thread