HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Brad Stuart may re-sign with Sharks in summer

Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
If Vlasic remains with Boyle, Stuart would make a great partner for Burns. He's a much better skater than Murray.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmarleautime View Post
First of all, someone being shopped doesn't mean they're a locker room problem (Heatley going to Minnesota for instance); they could be simply a victim of circumstance or what the other team desired. Honestly, do any of us really know what goes on in the locker room? Not really.

Second of all, who says he hasn't developed into one? If he were an issue here, he very well could have changed his attitude. You're basing your vitriol based on rumors from six years ago.

Lastly, this is a pointless argument. There was no reason to pick out such a negligible, subjective part of my response.
I don't feel ill will towards Stuart. I do think that blinders need to be removed. I absolutely think Stuart has changed at least somewhat. I don't think the initial trade was based entirely on play and the results of the Shelley hit. I also don't think he is leadership material at all. I really don't like posters tossing around the word "leadership" based on someone's physical appearance/watching them play or someone else using the word for that player without giving specifics. The word is grossly overused around the sport of hockey.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Stuart is not going to sign for less than 3 mil IMO. And even that is a significant discount. He's also going to want a NMC. But he might do a 3 mil for 3 years deal with the NMC. But he could get 4 mil plus on the open market.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
He's doing something right seeing as the Wings are wanting to talk contract extension with him.

I wouldn't mind Stuart coming back in the off season for a reasonable price (around $2mil).
I understand the Wings argument. Babcock has been pushing Holland to improve their defense and not subtract from it. He wants upgrades to Ericsson, et al. Babcock doesn't want to regress within his top 4. I would take their argument as commentary to where they saw his skill fit within their team. And yes, it does speak to his not creating waves there. I do think Stuart would be the first one pushed out of their top 4 if they made a high profile acquisition, but that they would absolutely desire him as a #5 (~$2.5mil).

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Stuart is not going to sign for less than 3 mil IMO. And even that is a significant discount. He's also going to want a NMC. But he might do a 3 mil for 3 years deal with the NMC. But he could get 4 mil plus on the open market.
I agree, but remember the "open market" for him is basically a California team. SJ would obviously be the frontrunner because it gets him in the same house as his family. LA/ANA could make cases in that its a quick flight to SJ that allows him to spend off days with his family. Although LA traded him to Detroit, so less likely there. I know we traded him to Boston, but again, this is about his family. I honestly think he's going to make it to SJ, assuming 1) DW wants him 2) He signs for the right price.

The comfort in knowing he can't be traded away from his family is probably worth more to him than an extra $1mil/year, so I think a NMC at 3-4 years could get this deal done at a $2.5mm cap hit. With Nitty and White off the books, its totally worth it, even at 3MM

Last edited by Iron Chef: 01-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
sharkbite3
it's whatever

I've wanted Brad to come back for a long time. This would be awesome.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I agree, but remember the "open market" for him is basically a California team. SJ would obviously be the frontrunner because it gets him in the same house as his family. LA/ANA could make cases in that its a quick flight to SJ that allows him to spend off days with his family. Although LA traded him to Detroit, so less likely there. I know we traded him to Boston, but again, this is about his family. I honestly think he's going to make it to SJ, assuming 1) DW wants him 2) He signs for the right price.

The comfort in knowing he can't be traded away from his family is probably worth more to him than an extra $1mil/year, so I think a NMC at 3-4 years could get this deal done at a $2.5mm cap hit. With Nitty and White off the books, its totally worth it, even at 3MM
Maybe, but the question is whether his desire to be with his family here in Cali is worth taking a significant pay cut. If he gets a good offer somewhere he might be able to convince the family to move for a few years until he retires. $1 mil or more a year makes a BIG difference in future earnings if he's being even halfway smart about investing it.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Maybe, but the question is whether his desire to be with his family here in Cali is worth taking a significant pay cut. If he gets a good offer somewhere he might be able to convince the family to move for a few years until he retires. $1 mil or more a year makes a BIG difference in future earnings if he's being even halfway smart about investing it.
He's been away from SJ for, what, 6+ years and his family never moved with him? Isn't his daughter in high school here in the Bay Area? If so, I'd say even less likely his family moves in the next couple years until she graduates from HS.

That said, I agree it will come down to family vs. most money for Brad. If DW wants him, I bet he could sign him.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Arkansas Shark
Hilary Knight ♥♥♥♥♥

Make it happen DW!

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Vlasic-Boyle
Stuey-Burns
Murray-Demers
Vandermeer-Braun

OH MY GOD. I think I would die of happiness. I'd love Stuey back

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
He's been away from SJ for, what, 6+ years and his family never moved with him? Isn't his daughter in high school here in the Bay Area? If so, I'd say even less likely his family moves in the next couple years until she graduates from HS.

That said, I agree it will come down to family vs. most money for Brad. If DW wants him, I bet he could sign him.
can we fit him is the question - boyle, burns, vlassic, demers, braun, murray? white? vandy? even with white and vandy gone, we still have perhaps petricki or dohetry to think about. also stuart is yet another top 4 tweener, which we have no shortage of. with boyle in regression mode, i'd rather have a legit top 2.

but by itself, getting him for like 2.5 w/ nmc would be huge.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 183
There wont be any cap space after we sign Suter.

Brad has always been a favorite of mine would love to see him back in teal.

FrizzleFry22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Brad Stuart and Ray Whitney please.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

I think the fact that Stuart wants to come back to be with his family in addition to DW's raging hardon for all things DRW may point towards the Sharks signing Stuart and dumping Murray or something.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
can we fit him is the question - boyle, burns, vlassic, demers, braun, murray? white? vandy? even with white and vandy gone, we still have perhaps petricki or dohetry to think about. also stuart is yet another top 4 tweener, which we have no shortage of. with boyle in regression mode, i'd rather have a legit top 2.

but by itself, getting him for like 2.5 w/ nmc would be huge.
I think you're asking about fitting him in next season? Well, since we have no idea what next season's cap will be, it's impossible to answer right now.

In any case, if we did sign Stuart, I think it'd make most to trade Murray then since they'd practically be redundant as I'd prefer the 3rd pairing be Demers/Braun/Vandy (or White). And yes, with an outside chance given to Petrecki or even Doherty to earn a spot out of camp.

Murray would have some value this offseason as a pending UFA so why not capture some value.

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Burns
Demers - Braun
Vandy or White

would be a solid d corp.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I think the fact that Stuart wants to come back to be with his family in addition to DW's raging hardon for all things DRW may point towards the Sharks signing Stuart and dumping Murray or something.
It'll depend on the CBA too though. Where the cap might be with a new agreement can drastically alter the makeup of this team next year. However, if it ends up being the same as this year in terms of what the ceiling is, they could just let Colin White, Jim Vandermeer, and Torrey Mitchell go to pick him up. I don't see why he wouldn't sign in San Jose for 3 mil a year for three or four years.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFry22 View Post
There wont be any cap space after we sign Suter.
Sure there would be - trade Boyle for a young top 6 fwd & a 1st

Start replenishing our top 6.

Could you imagine this?

Suter - Burns
Vlasic - Demers/Braun
Stuart - Braun/Demers

Daaammmmmmmmn!

Old
01-24-2012, 05:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:

Could you imagine this?

Suter - Burns
Vlasic - Demers/Braun
Stuart - Braun/Demers

Daaammmmmmmmn!
STOP. Don't even do that to me. *drool*.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:

Could you imagine this?

Suter - Burns
Vlasic - Demers/Braun
Stuart - Braun/Demers

Daaammmmmmmmn!
The only problem is outbidding everyone else for Suter. If Nashville lets him hit free agency he'll get contract offers the Sharks cannot hope to match. Y'know those crazy frontloaded ones that rich clubs like the Rangers, Sabres and Blackhawks can throw out.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
The only problem is outbidding everyone else for Suter. If Nashville lets him hit free agency he'll get contract offers the Sharks cannot hope to match. Y'know those crazy frontloaded ones that rich clubs like the Rangers, Sabres and Blackhawks can throw out.
And regret in a year or two..

Give DW credit, we don't really have TERRIBLE contracts that last any more then a year or two.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
That'd be great, we could use a scorpio on the team. Wouldn't want to ditch Douglass though
Stuart > Murray

Am I the only one that sees this?

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Stuart > Murray

Am I the only one that sees this?
No, there are a decent amount of us who see that as well. I'd be totally fine signing Stuart and dealing Murray in the offseason, if not the TDL but highly doubt the Wings trade him to us.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Oh man, yes please!

Inub0i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Sharksfan83

None of this happens until the off season. We're not trading with the Wings, especially not Murray. I can see moving Murray at the draft especially if we don't win the cup.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Berto2k

i would be 100% good with Stuart coming back here to play. how it affects payroll and current roster though i have no idea.

Berto2k is offline   Reply With Quote