HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Fielder to Detroit 9/214 ROFL! Jays sign (P) F. Cordero 1 yr 4.5M

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I love it, we now have the ammo to deal Frasor, Oliver and Cordero during the season for longer term pieces either like another Rasmus deal or possibly straight up for prospects and we will have Carreno, Perez, Jenkins ready to succeed them in the pen.
That's what I was thinking, one year deals and moving them allows assets to be acquired while allowing our prospects to develop and come in and get some valuable experience in August and September.

Im anxious to see where Carreno goes to start the year. I would imagine he'll be in the rotation to keep building arm strength and he'll be in AAA with Drabeck. AA will be loaded though with McGuire, Huch and Jenkins starting.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I dont really understand people saying stuff like god glad we didn't give him that deal. well guess what all big UFA's like Fielder get those types of contracts in the UFA market. so I assume then you guys never want to sign someone of the calibre of Fielder. some time you have to bite the bullet and take a bad long term contract to get a great player. sadly the jays will never do it, which is nothing new probably just go another 20 years without playoffs yay!

Fielder become only the 3rd player ever with a 200 mill + contract joining A-Rod and Pujols. Fielder isn't worth that type of money (neither is A-Rod). Just a hunch but that contract probably becomes an albatross half way through. Good on Detroit for doing it, they have the pieces in place to win it all.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
As much as the AL has improved over the winter, the Jays still have a very formidable line up. Not too many soft spots from 1 to 9, I think people forget this.

Escobar
Rasmus
Bautista
Lind
Arencibia
Lawrie
Johnson
Thames
Encarnacion

The roster is pretty young, but that leaves room for improvement from last year.

Now that the bullpen is much improved, the only real team weakness is the rotation. I think this will keep us out of the playoffs, unless AA likes what he sees at the half way point of the season. If he can pull the trigger on a mid season deal that brings us a bonafide #2, it would go a long way to completing this team.

I think you'll actually see JPA in the 9 hole, when he batted there last year he was better than other spots I believe.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
We have to drop someone off the 40 man now. I wonder who it is.
Valbuena? Can't imagine teams are jumping to pick him up and we have McCoy. Vizquel gets an invite to spring training too.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
My guess is Farina or Farquhar or Mastrioni

Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Cordero to #BlueJays, pending physical. One year, $4.5M. Will set up for Santos. #MLB
Looks like Perez won't be with the big club for sure now baring injury. Our bullpen is crazy deep.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Nazem Bozak

all im saying though, is josh hamilton for LF next season and sign cain or trade for king felix...... thats all though should probably be easy

Old
01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Fielder become only the 3rd player ever with a 200 mill + contract joining A-Rod and Pujols. Fielder isn't worth that type of money (neither is A-Rod). Just a hunch but that contract probably becomes an albatross half way through. Good on Detroit for doing it, they have the pieces in place to win it all.
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.

EDIT: were they even on Reyes or Wilson?

Old
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I really want to trade for Felix Hernandez. He's the apple of my eye.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.
He does seem to be the best fit. Imagine having Romero-Morrow-Hamels 1-2-3!

Old
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:

that's crazy, but to be fair the other two who got the money where probably the best of there era

Old
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
all im saying though, is josh hamilton for LF next season and sign cain or trade for king felix...... thats all though should probably be easy

Doubt you'll be signing Cain, you may trade for him. I just can't see Giants letting him go. If he doesnt agree to a longterm contract they'll trade him before the deadline. Then again weirder things have happened.

Old
ryno23

Quote:
I dont really understand people saying stuff like god glad we didn't give him that deal. well guess what all big UFA's like Fielder get those types of contracts in the UFA market. so I assume then you guys never want to sign someone of the calibre of Fielder. some time you have to bite the bullet and take a bad long term contract to get a great player. sadly the jays will never do it, which is nothing new probably just go another 20 years without playoffs yay!
Good post. What happens in 2 years when Votto is a UFA he will be 30 years old. What price do you think he will get on the open market probably at least 20 mil a season does that mean the Jays are out or cause he is not fat the Jays will make an attempt to sign him? So Votto will be 3 years older when he signs probably for at least 7 years and that takes him to 37 but Fielder at 9 years takes him to 36.

Any good UFA will be getting long term deals with big money baseball is big money.

So if Fielder is any indication forget Votto coming here as a UFA just not the Jays way.

Old
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I love it, we now have the ammo to deal Frasor, Oliver and Cordero during the season for longer term pieces either like another Rasmus deal or possibly straight up for prospects and we will have Carreno, Perez, Jenkins ready to succeed them in the pen.
That's exactly where I think AA's head is at. If we aren't competing come the deadline we will see some of these relievers moved and we'll see some pretty good assets coming back as they will all be very desirable arms going into the playoffs. Maybe that was AA's selling point to the FA relievers.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Doubt you'll be signing Cain, you may trade for him. I just can't see Giants letting him go. If he doesnt agree to a longterm contract they'll trade him before the deadline. Then again weirder things have happened.
oh i was kinda being sarcastic cause well... signing arguebly a top 5 player in the game and a very stud pitcher is unlikely. But cain is a free agent next year no? i just think by the start of the next year, we have another stud pitcher could be anyone from king felix, lincecum,cain hamels.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Good post. What happens in 2 years when Votto is a UFA he will be 30 years old. What price do you think he will get on the open market probably at least 20 mil a season does that mean the Jays are out or cause he is not fat the Jays will make an attempt to sign him? So Votto will be 3 years older when he signs probably for at least 7 years and that takes him to 37 but Fielder at 9 years takes him to 36.

Any good UFA will be getting long term deals with big money baseball is big money.

So if Fielder is any indication forget Votto coming here as a UFA just not the Jays way.
Or maybe they will sign Votto as he'd be the guy that puts them over the top with the rest of their charges performing the way they envisioned they'd develop.

Man, you're such a troll.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
darko

Quote:

EDIT: were they even on Reyes or Wilson?

Top-10 pitcher in the game. Arguably top-5. Would look real nice next to #24.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
BP is looking deadly

so how long till fielder is pushin 400 pounds? lol year 4? or am I being too nice

Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Top-10 pitcher in the game. Arguably top-5. Would look real nice next to #24.
So would King Felix.

I think the Jays have the farm to pull him out of SEA and still keep a pretty good prospect system.

Old
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
That's exactly where I think AA's head is at. If we aren't competing come the deadline we will see some of these relievers moved and we'll see some pretty good assets coming back as they will all be very desirable arms going into the playoffs. Maybe that was AA's selling point to the FA relievers.
for a cheap team we sure seemed to pay lots to boost our pen. 11.25 million.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Farquar I'm sure I spelt that wrong is my guess.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
oh i was kinda being sarcastic cause well... signing arguebly a top 5 player in the game and a very stud pitcher is unlikely. But cain is a free agent next year no? i just think by the start of the next year, we have another stud pitcher could be anyone from king felix, lincecum,cain hamels.

He is but can't see Giants letting him go for nothing especially since their farm system is shot to pieces following Beltran trade. Either longterm deal or move him at the deadline.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
They are FA in baseball. Yeah we should have signed Fielder to a brutal contract that would cripple our ability to keep our core together to appease some fans. You should NEVER intentionally sign a player to a bad contract.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
BULLPEN
S. Santos (CL)
F. Cordero
D. Oliver
J. Frasor
C. Janssen
J. Litsch
C. Villanueva
L. Perez

Not Bad at all

Old
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Look, for all the "fans" *****ing about the Jays not signing Fielder or how they're not spending. Do us a favor, go become a Tigers fan. Detroit is just four hours down the road.

Closed Thread