HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Fielder to Detroit 9/214 ROFL! Jays sign (P) F. Cordero 1 yr 4.5M

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
  #101
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I love it, we now have the ammo to deal Frasor, Oliver and Cordero during the season for longer term pieces either like another Rasmus deal or possibly straight up for prospects and we will have Carreno, Perez, Jenkins ready to succeed them in the pen.
That's what I was thinking, one year deals and moving them allows assets to be acquired while allowing our prospects to develop and come in and get some valuable experience in August and September.

Im anxious to see where Carreno goes to start the year. I would imagine he'll be in the rotation to keep building arm strength and he'll be in AAA with Drabeck. AA will be loaded though with McGuire, Huch and Jenkins starting.

jcollins is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
  #102
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 32,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I dont really understand people saying stuff like god glad we didn't give him that deal. well guess what all big UFA's like Fielder get those types of contracts in the UFA market. so I assume then you guys never want to sign someone of the calibre of Fielder. some time you have to bite the bullet and take a bad long term contract to get a great player. sadly the jays will never do it, which is nothing new probably just go another 20 years without playoffs yay!

Fielder become only the 3rd player ever with a 200 mill + contract joining A-Rod and Pujols. Fielder isn't worth that type of money (neither is A-Rod). Just a hunch but that contract probably becomes an albatross half way through. Good on Detroit for doing it, they have the pieces in place to win it all.

darko is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
  #103
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
As much as the AL has improved over the winter, the Jays still have a very formidable line up. Not too many soft spots from 1 to 9, I think people forget this.

Escobar
Rasmus
Bautista
Lind
Arencibia
Lawrie
Johnson
Thames
Encarnacion

The roster is pretty young, but that leaves room for improvement from last year.

Now that the bullpen is much improved, the only real team weakness is the rotation. I think this will keep us out of the playoffs, unless AA likes what he sees at the half way point of the season. If he can pull the trigger on a mid season deal that brings us a bonafide #2, it would go a long way to completing this team.

I think you'll actually see JPA in the 9 hole, when he batted there last year he was better than other spots I believe.

jcollins is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
  #104
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
We have to drop someone off the 40 man now. I wonder who it is.
Valbuena? Can't imagine teams are jumping to pick him up and we have McCoy. Vizquel gets an invite to spring training too.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
  #105
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
We have to drop someone off the 40 man now. I wonder who it is.
My guess is Farina or Farquhar or Mastrioni

jcollins is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
  #106
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Cordero to #BlueJays, pending physical. One year, $4.5M. Will set up for Santos. #MLB
Looks like Perez won't be with the big club for sure now baring injury. Our bullpen is crazy deep.

dredeye is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
  #107
Nazem Bozak
Registered User
 
Nazem Bozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
all im saying though, is josh hamilton for LF next season and sign cain or trade for king felix...... thats all though should probably be easy

Nazem Bozak is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
  #108
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Fielder become only the 3rd player ever with a 200 mill + contract joining A-Rod and Pujols. Fielder isn't worth that type of money (neither is A-Rod). Just a hunch but that contract probably becomes an albatross half way through. Good on Detroit for doing it, they have the pieces in place to win it all.
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.

EDIT: were they even on Reyes or Wilson?

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  #109
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
I really want to trade for Felix Hernandez. He's the apple of my eye.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
  #110
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.
He does seem to be the best fit. Imagine having Romero-Morrow-Hamels 1-2-3!

Woodman19 is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
  #111
Nazem Bozak
Registered User
 
Nazem Bozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.
that's crazy, but to be fair the other two who got the money where probably the best of there era

Nazem Bozak is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #112
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 32,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
all im saying though, is josh hamilton for LF next season and sign cain or trade for king felix...... thats all though should probably be easy

Doubt you'll be signing Cain, you may trade for him. I just can't see Giants letting him go. If he doesnt agree to a longterm contract they'll trade him before the deadline. Then again weirder things have happened.

darko is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #113
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I dont really understand people saying stuff like god glad we didn't give him that deal. well guess what all big UFA's like Fielder get those types of contracts in the UFA market. so I assume then you guys never want to sign someone of the calibre of Fielder. some time you have to bite the bullet and take a bad long term contract to get a great player. sadly the jays will never do it, which is nothing new probably just go another 20 years without playoffs yay!
Good post. What happens in 2 years when Votto is a UFA he will be 30 years old. What price do you think he will get on the open market probably at least 20 mil a season does that mean the Jays are out or cause he is not fat the Jays will make an attempt to sign him? So Votto will be 3 years older when he signs probably for at least 7 years and that takes him to 37 but Fielder at 9 years takes him to 36.

Any good UFA will be getting long term deals with big money baseball is big money.

So if Fielder is any indication forget Votto coming here as a UFA just not the Jays way.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  #114
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I love it, we now have the ammo to deal Frasor, Oliver and Cordero during the season for longer term pieces either like another Rasmus deal or possibly straight up for prospects and we will have Carreno, Perez, Jenkins ready to succeed them in the pen.
That's exactly where I think AA's head is at. If we aren't competing come the deadline we will see some of these relievers moved and we'll see some pretty good assets coming back as they will all be very desirable arms going into the playoffs. Maybe that was AA's selling point to the FA relievers.

dredeye is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
  #115
Nazem Bozak
Registered User
 
Nazem Bozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Doubt you'll be signing Cain, you may trade for him. I just can't see Giants letting him go. If he doesnt agree to a longterm contract they'll trade him before the deadline. Then again weirder things have happened.
oh i was kinda being sarcastic cause well... signing arguebly a top 5 player in the game and a very stud pitcher is unlikely. But cain is a free agent next year no? i just think by the start of the next year, we have another stud pitcher could be anyone from king felix, lincecum,cain hamels.

Nazem Bozak is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
  #116
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Good post. What happens in 2 years when Votto is a UFA he will be 30 years old. What price do you think he will get on the open market probably at least 20 mil a season does that mean the Jays are out or cause he is not fat the Jays will make an attempt to sign him? So Votto will be 3 years older when he signs probably for at least 7 years and that takes him to 37 but Fielder at 9 years takes him to 36.

Any good UFA will be getting long term deals with big money baseball is big money.

So if Fielder is any indication forget Votto coming here as a UFA just not the Jays way.
Or maybe they will sign Votto as he'd be the guy that puts them over the top with the rest of their charges performing the way they envisioned they'd develop.

Man, you're such a troll.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
  #117
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 32,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
That's sad. Great player and all but the 3rd player ever to get 200M+? That's crazy but I gotta hand it to Boras. Sold Prince well and got what he wanted even when the market wasn't big for him.

Seems like Detroit made somewhat of a desperation move after losing V-Mart as they didn't seem to be in on Pujols.

I'm looking forward to next year's FA and hoping the pitchers hit the market because I really really really want Hamels.

EDIT: were they even on Reyes or Wilson?


Top-10 pitcher in the game. Arguably top-5. Would look real nice next to #24.

darko is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
  #118
Theron
#beauty
 
Theron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,711
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
BP is looking deadly

so how long till fielder is pushin 400 pounds? lol year 4? or am I being too nice

Theron is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
  #119
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Top-10 pitcher in the game. Arguably top-5. Would look real nice next to #24.
So would King Felix.

I think the Jays have the farm to pull him out of SEA and still keep a pretty good prospect system.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
  #120
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
That's exactly where I think AA's head is at. If we aren't competing come the deadline we will see some of these relievers moved and we'll see some pretty good assets coming back as they will all be very desirable arms going into the playoffs. Maybe that was AA's selling point to the FA relievers.
for a cheap team we sure seemed to pay lots to boost our pen. 11.25 million.

Woodman19 is online now  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
  #121
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
We have to drop someone off the 40 man now. I wonder who it is.
Farquar I'm sure I spelt that wrong is my guess.

dredeye is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
  #122
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 32,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
oh i was kinda being sarcastic cause well... signing arguebly a top 5 player in the game and a very stud pitcher is unlikely. But cain is a free agent next year no? i just think by the start of the next year, we have another stud pitcher could be anyone from king felix, lincecum,cain hamels.


He is but can't see Giants letting him go for nothing especially since their farm system is shot to pieces following Beltran trade. Either longterm deal or move him at the deadline.

darko is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
  #123
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I dont really understand people saying stuff like god glad we didn't give him that deal. well guess what all big UFA's like Fielder get those types of contracts in the UFA market. so I assume then you guys never want to sign someone of the calibre of Fielder. some time you have to bite the bullet and take a bad long term contract to get a great player. sadly the jays will never do it, which is nothing new probably just go another 20 years without playoffs yay!
They are FA in baseball. Yeah we should have signed Fielder to a brutal contract that would cripple our ability to keep our core together to appease some fans. You should NEVER intentionally sign a player to a bad contract.

dredeye is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
  #124
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 50
BULLPEN
S. Santos (CL)
F. Cordero
D. Oliver
J. Frasor
C. Janssen
J. Litsch
C. Villanueva
L. Perez

Not Bad at all

oilers4cup is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
  #125
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
Look, for all the "fans" *****ing about the Jays not signing Fielder or how they're not spending. Do us a favor, go become a Tigers fan. Detroit is just four hours down the road.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.