HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Carter is what you would describe as a sniper. The Kings haven't had a player with this type of shot in a very very long time. Maybe not since Luc Robitaille.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Carter has been a healty scratch this year. He never play to his size...Does this sound familiar?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He's played wing and with Richards, though experimentally and limited,
NO thanks.

I'm not down with the idea of converting centers to wingers, because a) we are limiting their potential b) they will ikely be unhappy not playing their natural position.

We already have too many centers. Can we get some natural wingers up in this b***ch please?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, I'd take Carter in a heartbeat. He can play wing and score. Who cares that he's a natural Center? It just means he can take a faceoff when required and can focus on the defense, if need be.

His cap hit is very reasonable and he would want to play here. Injuries? Sure, he's been injured this year, but I really have to wonder if Carter feels a little healthier when he's on a team that he wants to play for.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Carter is what you would describe as a sniper. The Kings haven't had a player with this type of shot in a very very long time. Maybe not since Luc Robitaille.
Bingo. That's why I think the center argument applies least to him. He has never been much of a playmaker, he's always been a pure sniper. He is the exact need of this team. A legitimate top 3 goal scoring threat on a reasonable long term deal. There are few that fit the description more. Especially ones that can be coaxed away with assets we are willing to part with.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
NO thanks.

I'm not down with the idea of converting centers to wingers, because a) we are limiting their potential b) they will ikely be unhappy not playing their natural position.

We already have too many centers. Can we get some natural wingers up in this b***ch please?
Thinking like this astounds me! The differences between a center and a winger are primarily two things - Faceoffs and Defensive Responsibility. With that in mind, a center can easily transition to wing whereas a wing can not-so-easily transition to playing center. There is no such problem as having too many centers.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Thinking like this astounds me! The differences between a center and a winger are primarily two things - Faceoffs and Defensive Responsibility. With that in mind, a center can easily transition to wing whereas a wing can not-so-easily transition to playing center. There is no such problem as having too many centers.
Then please explain why Stoll and Lokti suck at wing (compared to their natural position).

Old
01-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Then please explain why Stoll and Lokti suck at wing (compared to their natural position).
Loktionov is a rookie and Stoll just plain sucks.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
SFKingshomer

Carter is a huge risk with a life long contract and his history with Richards might turn Dean off. Only DL would know though.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Richards sucks at wing too.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Richards sucks at wing too.
Richards hasn't been the same since his concussion. Also it was the first time he had been asked. Carter has been asked a few times before. I am pretty sure that these players, at their skill level, can handle it. Not to mention just a handful of games isn't much of a sample size. 7 games was all it took for us to conclude that Moulson wasn't much of a goal scorer.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Old
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Yeah this pretty much. It's much harder to play centre than wing. Why do we think DL places priority on all othe positions ahead of wingers? It's harder to find good netminding, defense and centres than wingers (and yes, I know there are X number of goalies with XXX save percentage. It's still major position that is hard to find an elite player at, as evidence by the fact we really haven't had an elite goalie in 45 years with the exception of Vachon).

Quote:
Stoll hasn't played good ANYWHERE all season. Lokti's issue I think is he is a bit to small for the wing, similar to Moller. The one thing you do need on the wing is a bit more strength and to be harder on your skates as you play a lot more along the wall, especially in the Kings system.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

He also plays the PK, used to pair him with Richards on the PK in Philly. Deadly as can been shorthanded.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
BigBrown
They did it!

Depends on how good he is on wing. I think I remember reading Flyers fans saying he's not very good at it, which would be my concern.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Randart

Whoa....

Quote:
7 games was all it took for us to conclude that Moulson wasn't much of a goal scorer.
US? I hope us is our coaches and mgt at the time and not us fans cause... Some of <us> always thought Matty could be a player at the NHL level.
Not that we hit with every prospect we are hopeful of but he was one. I still think Brian Boyle could be effective but time will tell etc.

Oh and Telos I still would rather have Rick Nash than Carter if I could choose inspite of Carter and Richards bro-mancing and chemistry.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
ROBITAILLE
In Dean I trust

i like Carter, but what does he cost us? Loki, Martinez, 1st rookie plus what?

Old
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

What would Carter cost us?

Old
01-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Playing Carter on the Wing really isnt the best thing to do. He is such a great skater and plays such good defense that you wont get the most out of him if he is your wing
I doubt you guys have what it takes to get him but I dont see how he makes you better. You guys have to upgrade the winger position

Old
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Carter has been a healty scratch this year. He never play to his size...Does this sound familiar?
When has he been a healthy scratch?

Old
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Playing Carter on the Wing really isnt the best thing to do. He is such a great skater and plays such good defense that you wont get the most out of him if he is your wing
I doubt you guys have what it takes to get him but I dont see how he makes you better. You guys have to upgrade the winger position
The Kings & Jackets making a deal actually makes a lot of sense...

- CBJ are obviously out of the playoff hunt.
- CBJ wants young talent, especially at the blue line.
- The Kings currently have a log jam at defense.
- The Kings NHL and minor league rosters are full of young talent (Trade chips).
- The Kings need wing help desperately.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
deeshamrock

The Globe and Mail is one of a few sources hinting that the Leafs will trade for Carter in a package that might include Schenn and Kadri. Getslaf was the other name they dropped.

Leafs need a center and he'd do well there . He doesn't like playing wing, he didn't have a choice last year (Lavvy is not a man who gives you a choice ) and played with Giroux, which I felt hindered Giroux's goal scoring. Jeff Carter is the allen iverson of the NHl, he never passes.

I never like him much, and he wasn't a very popular Flyer because he's lazy. As a matter of fact after the trade there was a HF board poll on the Flyers site that asked who will you miss more , Richards got 96% of the vote.

He is talented enough, deadly shot and when he wants to, can dominate. But the problem is too man ytime she disappears for shifts and games at a time. Tends to ne lazy, bad in the neutral zone and doens't use his size to body check.
He is very good at faceoffs, the best Flyer during his time there and a very good defensive forward (which few people realize)
but where you see 35 goals, I see what should have been 50, if he applied himself
He's the polar opposite or Richards when it comes to heart, hustle and leadership.
So far in his six years, very poor playoff performer. Playoffs- Carter 21 points in 47 gamea. Richards 50 points in 63 games. Beyond the getting timely goals and assists in the playoffs, it's the other areas where you need a leader to stop up. Physically dominating shifts, hitting hard, stepping up to defend your teammates, shutting down the other teams top line and blocking shots, playing tough minutes in critical situations like elimination games (richards has played in over a dozne and a half) and overtimes, game sevens and being the difference, tghe game changer all in Richards portfolio . Richards can and has achieved in the playoffs without the talent that Carter has and watching Carter float and not drive hard, push himself...really didn't set well with most Flyers fans.
But again , maybe being traded was his wake up call and Carter is a tiger that will change his stripes.

But being traded from the team you thought (and signed for) you'd spend most of your career with can change you. Could be he would apply himself and play harder more often and give 100% sometimes.

But I can't see the DL puling that trigger...if he's going to give up something to get quality, he needs to get a legitimate top skilled winger, not a center.

Last edited by deeshamrock: 01-24-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
The Globe and Mail is one of a few sources hinting that the Leafs will trade for Carter in a package that might include Schenn and Kadri. Getslaf was the other name they dropped.

Leafs need a center and he'd do well there . He doesn't like playing wing, he didn't have a choice last year (Lavvy is not a man who gives you a choice ) and played with Giroux, which I felt hindered Giroux's goal scoring. Jeff Carter is the allen iverson of the NHl, he never passes.

I never like him much, and he wasn't a very popular Flyer because he's lazy. As a matter of fact after the trade there was a HF board poll on the Flyers site that asked who will you miss more , Richards got 96% of the vote.

He is talented enough, deadly shot and when he wants to, can dominate. But the problem is too man ytime she disappears for shifts and games at a time. Tends to ne lazy, bad in the neutral zone and doens't use his size to body check.
He is very good at faceoffs, the best Flyer during his time there and a very good defensive forward (which few people realize)
but where you see 35 goals, I see what should have been 50, if he applied himself
He's the polar opposite or Richards when it comes to heart, hustle and leadership.
So far in his six years, very poor playoff performer. Playoffs- Carter 21 points in 47 gamea. Richards 50 points in 63 games. Beyond the getting timely goals and assists in the playoffs, it's the other areas where you need a leader to stop up. Physically dominating shifts, hitting hard, stepping up to defend your teammates, shutting down the other teams top line and blocking shots, playing tough minutes in critical situations like elimination games (richards has played in over a dozne and a half) and overtimes, game sevens and being the difference, tghe game changer all in Richards portfolio . Richards can and has achieved in the playoffs without the talent that Carter has and watching Carter float and not drive hard, push himself...really didn't set well with most Flyers fans.
But again , maybe being traded was his wake up call and Carter is a tiger that will change his stripes.

But being traded from the team you thought (and signed for) you'd spend most of your career with can change you. Could be he would apply himself and play harder more often and give 100% sometimes.

But I can't see the DL puling that trigger...if he's going to give up something to get quality, he needs to get a legitimate top skilled winger, not a center.
sooooo you're saying he's like dustin penner?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
US? I hope us is our coaches and mgt at the time and not us fans cause... Some of <us> always thought Matty could be a player at the NHL level.
Not that we hit with every prospect we are hopeful of but he was one. I still think Brian Boyle could be effective but time will tell etc.

Oh and Telos I still would rather have Rick Nash than Carter if I could choose inspite of Carter and Richards bro-mancing and chemistry.
Of course that is what I meant.

I don't really care or have a preference between Nash and Carter other than I like Carter's contract much more.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:11 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
True, but I kind of give that contract a pass as Ricky D will be retired due to all the injuries in a couple years so it won't matter, you remove the injuries and it's not a bad deal at the time... The Kovalchuk deal on the other hand is basically a blatant attempt to circumvent the cap and bend the system to the breaking point, that to me makes it more ridiculous than the DiPietro one.

Closed Thread