HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats' reclamation projects

Old
01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Slats' reclamation projects

Over the years, we've seen the Rangers pick up a bunch of reclamation projects, most of whom have not worked out. Thinking about Jeff Woywitka, Anton Strålman and, of course, Steve Eminger, it seems things have changed somewhat.

I have a theory. In the past, the Rangers have been picking up young players (Lisin, Alex Bourret) in the hopes that, given another chance and a change of scenery, they live up to their promise. It seems to me that now, they're picking up former 1st-rounders and essentially saying "we're not going to ask you to play to your draft position or what was hoped of you as a prospect, we're going to ask you to buy into our system and find your niche".

For example: it seems to me a lot of the reason Eminger was maligned around the league in the past, is that teams expected him to be a top-4 offensive defenceman. The Rangers expect him to play lunchpail hockey, bring hard work and simple play. He still has the tools that made him a 1st rounder, but he isn't expected to make the big break-out play or anything like that. He's bought into his role, so he's been able to find his place, and has been a good Ranger.

The glaring exception to this right now seems to be Wojtek Wolski. Is it a coincidence he's another forward and the others I mention are defencemen?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
OverTheCap

I think the fact that the defense reclamation projects have worked out better is due to system. Woywitka spoke about when he first joined, about how he needs to learn to adjust to Torts' system, and Stralman was held out of a bunch of a games when he first signed in order to learn the system. Bickel was able to step in because the Whale plays the same system as the parent club.

A lot of the reclamation project forwards that Sather targeted were one dimensional. If they aren't scoring, they aren't of much use to the team. Wolski, Christensen, Lisin, Kotalik, etc., all fall under that category. Boyle was a reclamation project as well but he has been able to stick around because he can play well defensively, win faceoffs, and brings a bit of "jam" even when he's not scoring.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

How bout we take a chance on that Selanne kid? He could be decent with the right linemates.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I think the fact that the defense reclamation projects have worked out better is due to system. Woywitka spoke about when he first joined, about how he needs to learn to adjust to Torts' system, and Stralman was held out of a bunch of a games when he first signed in order to learn the system. Bickel was able to step in because the Whale plays the same system as the parent club.

A lot of the reclamation project forwards that Sather targeted were one dimensional. If they aren't scoring, they aren't of much use to the team. Wolski, Christensen, Lisin, Kotalik, etc., all fall under that category. Boyle was a reclamation project as well but he has been able to stick around because he can play well defensively, win faceoffs, and brings a bit of "jam" even when he's not scoring.
That's how I see it as well. Like the OP said, guys like Eminger or Woywitka aren't asked to do much. They are getting sheltered minutes and all they need to do is to not eff up.

Meanwhile Wolski was brought in to help our scoring woes. That's a whole lot more difficult.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
How bout we take a chance on that Selanne kid? He could be decent with the right linemates.
How about not?

I hate old players. The rangers have had a bad history with signing old players.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
How about not?

I hate old players. The rangers have had a bad history with signing old players.
Like how we won a cup getting Anderson and Matteau and Noonan by trading away a young Tony Amonte and Doug Weight at the deadline?

Last edited by mahonistan*: 01-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
NYR Viper

It's not just Eminger, Stralman and Woywitka, but Bickel was in the ECHL when he was dealt to the Rangers, Mitchell was in the AHL and Boyle was toiling in the AHL as well as an older player. Prust was a great pick-up as well although he was a NHL player.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It's not just Eminger, Stralman and Woywitka, but Bickel was in the ECHL when he was dealt to the Rangers, Mitchell was in the AHL and Boyle was toiling in the AHL as well as an older player. Prust was a great pick-up as well although he was a NHL player.
I've been really impressed with Bickel.

Prust, Boyle, Mitchell -- they're 3 guys I don't know why I didn't think about. Particularly Boyle and Prust, they've been put in positions to succeed on these Rangers and, importantly, I think they're probably enjoying hockey more than they ever have. They'll put their all into every game and for them, it's worth it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Wolski was sort of a combination of:
a) A knee jerk reaction when Alex Frolov went down for the year
b) A way of saving cap space by losing Roszival who was becoming expendable.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote