Old
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
You mean Carney?
Bah Yes Carney, I forgot about him. I thought it was the Sheriff. We've had too many old guys back there that they run together.

But I agree, we should be looking at guys like Schultz (who has dropped off considerably), Zanon, Zidlicky and Lundin at the end of the deadline.

Call up Cuma, Fredheim and Scandella again and see what they can do.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Keith Carney's end to end rush was amazing. He was also a gamer in the playoffs, along with Marian Gaborik and also Keith Carney (read: sad).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Any defensemen out there next year like Carney we could pick up for cheap?

Old
01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Keith Carney's end to end rush was amazing. He was also a gamer in the playoffs, along with Marian Gaborik and also Keith Carney (read: sad).
Keith Carney's first season with the Wild = awesome.

Keith Carney's 2nd season with the Wild = completely terrible except that one time he dropped down and blocked a sure goal and shoveled the puck back the other way which resulted in a Wild goal.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Any defensemen out there next year like Carney we could pick up for cheap?
His name is Clayton Stoner.

Keith Carneys no longer exist. The game is too fast for their type. Chicago has signed every Keith Carney available in the last season and a half and they haven't been any better than John Scott.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
His name is Clayton Stoner.

Keith Carneys no longer exist. The game is too fast for their type. Chicago has signed every Keith Carney available in the last season and a half and they haven't been any better than John Scott.
Stoner's issue has always been injuries.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

It's completely hilarious how you guys went a 180 on Zidlicky from the time we signed him to an extension to no.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
It's completely hilarious how you guys went a 180 on Zidlicky from the time we signed him to an extension to no.
Cause he's only gotten worse since that point.

I was all for re-signing Johnsson over Zidlicky.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
saywut

In case anyone took my post of buying out Zidlicky for "I would buy-out Zidlicky", I guess I should clarify that. I would not buy-out Zidlicky this off-season(at this point, things could change but I don't think they'll change significant enough), but I could see Fletcher having to go that route(and I wouldn't "oppose" it). We didn't have to buy-out Barker for the roster/contract spot last year, yet we still did. The roster/contract spot could be a bigger problem this off-season. The cap savings are about the same as Barker, and like Barker his level of play currently isn't good enough. That being said, Zidlicky's played at a higher level while Barker had a fluke rookie year offensively but never really showed a consistent game worthy of his contract.

If Zidlicky can get back to a respectable level there's no reason to buy him out, his "best" in this league would be a more valuable skill-set than any of our other d-men. But if Fletcher wants more cap flexibility, wants a potential roster spot for Nate Prosser/Jonas Brodin, and Zidlicky continues to struggle, buying Zidlicky out might be the best option.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I haven't. I still think he's a valuable piece and it's worth the team trying to help him re-find his game, instead of crucifying him the moment something breaks down.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I was a huge fan of the Zidlicky signing...obviously not anymore. He's just not the same player. At the time, he was shooting and moving the puck very well and playing pretty decent in his end. Of course, maybe it's just because he was getting sheltered minutes with Johnsson-Schultz playing against the top lines.

For 10-15g and 40pts, $4m is a steal even with defensive inadequacies. But he's been averaging closer to 5 goals and 25-30 points since the contract.

Not sure what happened. Let himself go?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
I wanted him traded at the deadline instead of re-signed, so I haven't flopped on him.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i guess that's one of the things I can legitimately feel smug about--never was a fan of Zid at any point. Recognize his utility, though. We wanted points out of a defenseman, and a PP shooter from the point we should have kept Bergeron. A $1 million dollar Bergeron is a better deal than a $4m Zidlicky no matter that he's worse defensively IMO. I knew KJ wasn't going to be playing hockey the next year...there really wasn't a whole lot we could do but hope Zid's performance was trending upwards. I think Craig is (or was, anyway) a big fan so it's just rumors but that could have had a little bit to do with it as well.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i guess that's one of the things I can legitimately feel smug about--never was a fan of Zid at any point. Recognize his utility, though. We wanted points out of a defenseman, and a PP shooter from the point we should have kept Bergeron. A $1 million dollar Bergeron is a better deal than a $4m Zidlicky no matter that he's worse defensively IMO. I knew KJ wasn't going to be playing hockey the next year...there really wasn't a whole lot we could do but hope Zid's performance was trending upwards. I think Craig is (or was, anyway) a big fan so it's just rumors but that could have had a little bit to do with it as well.
I was a Ryan Jones fan, so I wasn't real happy with the deal at the time.

It's been a roller coaster ride with Zids, and I think the last peak was a couple seasons ago. Healthy scratches aren't going to help his trade value either.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote