HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic at Citi Field?

Old
01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Hi all. I'm a long time reader first time poster. I've read a lot where you guys say we can't have the winter classic here in NY because of the Pinstripe bowl. Why couldn't they have it at Citi Field? I mean it's a hockey game and Citi Field is just as convenient as Yankee Stadium.
Because the game has just turned into one big ridiculous marketing gimmick, and they'd rather have the "Yankee Stadium" name, even though there is no "real" Yankee Stadium anymore.

But the new Yankee Stadium would be just super-D-dog-duper awesome.

The only think that could make it more awesome is if they play the Penguins, and right before the game Alexander Ovechkin got traded to Pittsburgh. Bettman would die from explosive orgasm.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This isn't the old Yankee Stadium. This is not a legendary venue. It is in name only.

The real question did having this event at Heinz Field, Ralph Wilson Stadium and Citizen's Bank Park detract from the grandeur of the event. And how much did venues like Fenway or Wrigley really enhance interest.
I agree with you but the Yankee Stadium name has that appeal to it. It was cool seeing it at both Fenway and Wrigley as they are legendary places but in the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I'd have no gripes playing it at Citi but the NHL has made it known that they want Yankee Stadium.

01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I agree with you but the Yankee Stadium name has that appeal to it. It was cool seeing it at both Fenway and Wrigley as they are legendary places but in the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I'd have no gripes playing it at Citi but the NHL has made it known that they want Yankee Stadium.

Ranger fans are going to watch and go to either Citi or Yankee Stadium. Hockey fans are going to watch, by and large, whether it's at Citi or Yankee Stadium. I guess my question is this: How many casual fans are going to tune in just because it's held a Yankee Stadium? I may be wrong but I can't see that being a deciding factor.

You want a spectacle, Rangers-Canadiens in Central Park.

01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Ranger fans are going to watch and go to either Citi or Yankee Stadium. Hockey fans are going to watch, by and large, whether it's at Citi or Yankee Stadium. I guess my question is this: How many casual fans are going to tune in just because it's held a Yankee Stadium? I may be wrong but I can't see that being a deciding factor.

You want a spectacle, Rangers-Canadiens in Central Park.
I'm one of those weird Yankee/Mets fans. Partially because my dad was a Mets fan as my grandmother liked the Dodgers and my grandfather liked the baseball Giants. My mom is a Yankees fan. We had the Saturday plan for the Yankees and the Sunday plan for the Mets growing up.

I don't see the difference where the game is played. A sheet of ice is a sheet of ice. It doesn't matter where the game is played as long as there are a lot of seats to watch it. If you would boycott the game because it's at Citi Field... then I wouldn't call you a Ranger fan.

AND I think it would be awesome to have a Devils/Rangers game at GIANTS stadium for the Winter Classic. But that's just me.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
WeekendAtBernies

If you have a chance to host the Winter Classic, you do it... whether it's at Citi, Yankee Stadium, the new Meadowlands, etc.

You can't play the waiting game for Yankee stadium.

And while having the game at Yankee Stadium would be a cool angle, nobody goes to the game for the stadium and nobody will watch on TV because it is at Yankee Stadium. The stadium just isn't that important... it's a stadium.

And the "new" Yankee stadium doesn't have a shred of the history of Fenway or Wrigley... it's a totally new stadium. Linking it to Ruth and Gehrig and all the other greats that played @ old Yankee stadium just because they kept the same stadium name is moronic.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote