HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Trevor Jobe

Old
01-24-2012, 01:23 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Trevor Jobe

I was channel-surfing through the IHDB, which I do on occasion, and came upon this guy.

Played on 40 different junior, minor league and Euro teams over 20 years and had an outrageous prolific career.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2541

I read his Wikipedia bio, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Jobe , apparently he was also a bit of a yahoo.....anybody know or see him play? Sounds like a real character.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Saw him play in the ECHL. He was a scoring machine at that level. But so were a lot of guys who quit at 25 when they realized they'd never make it.

What was it they said in "Bull Durham" about being the minor league home run king?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
MS

Jobe was a wasted talent.

Probably could have played in the NHL if hed had any work ethic, but was lazy, out-of-shape, and allegedly had a drinking problem. Settled for floating around and dominating in the ECHL. Had all the tools (size, skill, shot, mean streak) but never made a commitment to fitness and conditioning or learning how to play defense.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Jobe was a wasted talent.

Probably could have played in the NHL if hed had any work ethic, but was lazy, out-of-shape, and allegedly had a drinking problem. Settled for floating around and dominating in the ECHL. Had all the tools (size, skill, shot, mean streak) but never made a commitment to fitness and conditioning or learning how to play defense.
I don't know if you can tell a guy could have played in the NHL when his most formidable achievement was 23 goals in the AHL. I'm not saying it's not possible, but you had guys who were much better at the AHL level who never cut it in the NHL.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't know if you can tell a guy could have played in the NHL when his most formidable achievement was 23 goals in the AHL. I'm not saying it's not possible, but you had guys who were much better at the AHL level who never cut it in the NHL.
and you had worse guys making it.

Hobnobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He scored 23 goals as an AHL rookie and then never played in that league again because he was an out-of-shape drunk with a beer gut who didn’t try to play defense.

Jobe wasn’t your typical ECHL scoring machine – he had obvious pro size and skills. I remember watching a few features on him 10-15 years ago, and the stuff he was doing there would have played at higher levels if he had any sort of conditioning and all-around game to go with it – was basically an ECHL Jaromir Jagr who was impossible to knock off the puck, could make plays with defenders all over him, and had an utterly wicked shot.

I fully recognize that saying an ECHL player could have played in the NHL is a major stretch, and Jobe is probably the only player of his ilk that I’d say that about. He’s a very unique case.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Vaguely remember him in Toronto mid-late 80's when Stellick was GM, hyped up quite a bit pre-season, wound up in Newmarket. The book on the guy as I re-call was a lack of discipline and "a terrible t'urst"... life a long drink.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote