HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Won't be easy replacing Carle if he leaves

Old
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
hmmm i like the way this thread is headed..

i actualy thought i would be alone in wanting Carle to shove off at 4-5M$..
Me too! I was under the impression that I was one of the few Flyers fans who didn't commute via the Carle train.

I am just not a fan. Trade him now...Carle + JVR for Shea Weber...lol, I can dream - but really, with the exception of Shelley, those 2 are the only ones I am not 100% happy with on this team.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
FlyersMania2

Based on what Jim Jackson said the other night about Lavy believing Carle doesnt get the credit he deserves...it makes me think that:

Carle is to Lavy as Randy Jones was to Stevens...

In other words, if Lavy ever leaves then Carle will end up in his rightful place (traded off and inevitably his actual talent level is exposed) until then, he will be here.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Martin and gorges are both way better than carle defensively

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Based on what Jim Jackson said the other night about Lavy believing Carle doesnt get the credit he deserves...it makes me think that:

Carle is to Lavy as Randy Jones was to Stevens...

In other words, if Lavy ever leaves then Carle will end up in his rightful place (traded off and inevitably his actual talent level is exposed) until then, he will be here.
That high assist number is helped by playing with great offenses for the last two years. It'll be interesting to see his numbers on a team that isn't an offensive powerhouse.

01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
captainpaxil

i kinda hope he leaves and kicks serious ass elswhere so that all his haters get a lesson in what underrated means. ufa's get overpaid thats the nature of the beast and the market is thin for d this offseason.

i break it down this way looking forward

pronger timonen (good but old)
coburn meszaros (prime players)
gus bourdon (just breasking in)

we need to be looking at higher end d propspects and defenseman higher in the draft. betting all on suter/weber makes too many cap complications down the line

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i kinda hope he leaves and kicks serious ass elswhere so that all his haters get a lesson in what underrated means. ufa's get overpaid thats the nature of the beast and the market is thin for d this offseason.
i hope he goes on to great things to..

cuz he aint good enuf here..

seriously i wish him GL in his future...

i say that about anyone who is traded away, best of luk, sometimes things just dont work out.

Versteeg is a great example. do i miss him ??? not really, but im happy hes having a good season elsewere..

its not like i HATE any player..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post

i break it down this way looking forward

pronger timonen (good but old)
coburn meszaros (prime players)
gus bourdon (just breasking in)

we need to be looking at higher end d propspects and defenseman higher in the draft. betting all on suter/weber makes too many cap complications down the line
Eh, from all advanced statistics to actually watching him play, one can see his average defensive play. It's not hating, it's factual information. No one denies he has offensive ablility (other than hitting the net and not having a slapshot). Sadly his offensive ability affects him defensively (like how he leads the team in turnovers). Im guessing from your post though, you will be fine with severly overpaying Carle? Unless you think he is tremendously better than coburn, he shouldn't be getting 5 mil+. Paying 5+ mil for a pure offensive player is bad.

Honestly just look at the top 25 highest caphits in the NHL (d-men)

http://capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=...ion=D&limit=25

Other than the few who are top pairing guys, alot of the players who are on Carle's level are severly overpaid and have not been doing well on their teams. It's a big mistake to make.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:23 PM
cheesesteak

I'd like to see us get someone like Boychuk in the offseason. How much do you think he'll cost?

cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'd like to see us get someone like Boychuk in the offseason. How much do you think he'll cost?
I hope the same thing Maybe somewhere around the 3 or 3.4 area?? I'm not quite sure but he might be one of the better FA d-man so he might cash in on a weak group

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, from all advanced statistics to actually watching him play, one can see his average defensive play. It's not hating, it's factual information. No one denies he has offensive ablility (other than hitting the net and not having a slapshot). Sadly his offensive ability affects him defensively (like how he leads the team in turnovers). Im guessing from your post though, you will be fine with severly overpaying Carle? Unless you think he is tremendously better than coburn, he shouldn't be getting 5 mil+. Paying 5+ mil for a pure offensive player is bad.

Honestly just look at the top 25 highest caphits in the NHL (d-men)

http://capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=...ion=D&limit=25

Other than the few who are top pairing guys, alot of the players who are on Carle's level are severly overpaid and have not been doing well on their teams. It's a big mistake to make.
yeah thats hating. if he was better defensively hit the net regularly and decreased his turnovers hed be worth 8 mil. hes not an 8 million dollar player. hes a 3.5 million dollar player. ya get what ya pay for and i think hes done a helluva job for that kinda money. i dont expect him to be timo or pronger them guys are better players makin better money. the average cost of an average pmd is going up and i just think we need to be honest that if we get someone at the same money hes probably not going to be as good even if thats just average

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Imo they should try to sign him a Coburn like contract. All over 4,5 is too much.

But then Homer take a risk to loose Pronger and Carle and donŽt get a good UFA/FA Dman for 4,5. Than you must overpay for one. And iŽam not sure if these player is really better than Carle....

So maybe we will get someone for 5,0 or 5,5 who isnŽt better than Carle, because we donŽt want to pay Carle 5,0....

IŽam not sure if i would take the risk....

And Carle will never be part of a Nashville Suter or Weber deal. Because i canŽt imagine that he is willing too sign in Nashville, so why should they risk a trade with him???

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I used to be a Carle fan. I was really hoping he'd step up his game to another level this year and he's disappointed. He continues to make the same mistakes he always makes and never learns from it. With that being said, 40 point defenders just don't grow on trees. No matter what people may think, if the Flyers lose Carle, that is a huge hole on the D to fill, especially from an offense stand point.

Suter might be ideal, but the market for him is going to be considerably big. After Suter, you have Weber, but Weber is more complicated with the fact that he's an RFA. Then you take a look at what's left and suddenly, Carle doesn't look too bad at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I used to be a Carle fan. I was really hoping he'd step up his game to another level this year and he's disappointed. He continues to make the same mistakes he always makes and never learns from it. With that being said, 40 point defenders just don't grow on trees. No matter what people may think, if the Flyers lose Carle, that is a huge hole on the D to fill, especially from an offense stand point.

Suter might be ideal, but the market for him is going to be considerably big. After Suter, you have Weber, but Weber is more complicated with the fact that he's an RFA. Then you take a look at what's left and suddenly, Carle doesn't look too bad at all.
That's why you're supposed to rely on developing players, and not waiting for other team's players to out-price their markets.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Flyers don't like letting their UFAs get to F/A. If Carle is going to be signed it will be before the end of the year

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I'd say anything around 4 is tops... specially if we can't get suter or weber, then we might have to offer a little more, like 4.5.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Pay for Suter. End of story.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:21 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Be careful using the 30-point threshold. That was the justification for the disaster known as Randy Jones.
oh you just had to go there huh. I was hoping to erase the memory of when he was here sooner rather then later haha

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:43 AM
StandingCow

We need a R Jones added to the hockey version of Godwin's law...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:47 AM
BillDineen

Read, Voracek and Schenn have all gotten time at the point on the PP. More time for Mesz can replace Carle on the PP. Carle leads the Flyers in Even Strength TOI/game and even strength points. I think more even strength minutes for Mesz are available. Kimmo is a workhorse shorthanded. If we acquire a D that could cut into his time short handed, Kimmo could play more even strength.

Even Strength TOI:

1 Matt Carle 18:33
2 Braydon Coburn 18:11
3 Andrej Meszaros 16:39
4 Erik Gustafsson 15:36
5 Marc-Andre Bourdon 15:01
6 Kimmo Timonen 14:00

Short Handed TOI:

2 Kimmo Timonen 3:45
3 Braydon Coburn 3:20
4 Andrej Meszaros 2:27
5 Matt Carle 1:30

PP TOI:

2 Kimmo Timonen 3:54
3 Matt Carle 2:56
4 Andrej Meszaros 1:33
5 Erik Gustafsson 0:54

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:05 AM
BillDineen

Hal Gill is among league leaders in sh TOI on the pk tied for first in the NHL. He could free up Kimmo for more ES TOI. Garrison is also in the top 40 for SH TOI and certainly could replace Carle's PP time.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:52 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

We were thinking about your situation here on Defense.

Some of us over at the Sharks board were expressing interest in acquiring JVR.

Douglas Murray + 2012 1st is something we've been messing with.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post

I'd pass.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Flyers don't like letting their UFAs get to F/A. If Carle is going to be signed it will be before the end of the year
REALLY?!

that's news to me!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:35 AM
kgchief

I say move Carle at the deadline if Homer can't sign him for reasonable number. I don't think hes worth any more than Coburn. Get a young D-man back from a contender to free up the cap room for next year. Can we move Briere while we are at it. How does it work with his NMC anyway. Can he be bought out or demoted or anything. I'd like to see Philly stay the course with this young group and not move any pieces unless we get young players in return. Anyone have answers on those NMClauses for me? fo

kgchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post

Ya, I'd easily pass also

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote