Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gogo extended 4 years / 18.4 mil

Old
01-24-2012, 05:21 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Zubov got lowballed. The team seemed to think he owed them a sweetheart deal because he was injured previously. Of course that's not how it works.

This Zubov talk has given me an unpleasant thought -- Goligoski is more Sydor than he is Zubov.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Zubov got lowballed. The team seemed to think he owed them a sweetheart deal because he was injured previously. Of course that's not how it works.

This Zubov talk has given me an unpleasant thought -- Goligoski is more Sydor than he is Zubov.
We don't really know what Zubov was offered. We do know it'd be pretty silly to offer him a ton of money considering he'd played 50 games in the last two seasons. Also Sydor was pretty damn good during his first run with Dallas.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I hoping it's the Stars attempting to meet the salary cap for when they jettison Robidas, Morrow, Sourey, Grossman and the like. Is Goligoski worth this right now? Probably not but at the same time an extra 600k per year isn't going to handicap a team 10 million under the cap. What it does do though is add to the bottom line and allow JN to move Morrow or Robidas and not struggle just to reach the floor.

Buying out UFA years for a guy on a middling team was going to be expensive. This contract isn't ideal but now you've got it out of the way and can talk to Benn this offseason and figure out how to overhaul this defense. It's got to be abundantly clear to Gagliardi that this team as currently constructed is not a winner. Lock up the "core" and let's get on to turning over the rest.

Well there's still not even a CBA negotiated for next season much less a cap floor (which has been under attack for years now by people trying to get it removed) so I don't see the reason in that line of thinking, but I agree that the Stars should be identifying the core contributors and locking them up long term.

I disagree that Goligoski needs to play up to what he flashed in potential last year - that was a ridiculous situation where he was playing up to 30 minutes a night due to injuries on the blue line in a tough playoff race and only the elite players in the league get that sort of responsibility. If he could do all that for an 82 game season he'd be worth twice that contract he just signed. I think that to justify that 4.6 million it's simple to just look at that list of free agent defenceman signings and say that none of those guys are clear #1 defenceman on a good team. If Goligoski can a) be healthy for the duration of the contract and b) get back to decent production on the PP - along with the rest of the team, then I think he can earn his contract on the strength of his solid possession play.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Caseman

I love how a rough stretch has made every past move the wrong move. Zubov wasn't lowballed. He was perpetually on the IR, for two seasons. He did not merit a renewal of such a generous contract. And his production in Russia only shows how forgiving their brand of hockey is in comparison.

This board is almost unreadable now.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I disagree vehemently. The proof was on full display the following season. Zubov still had game left.

The Stars could've and should've done more for one of the best players in franchise history. The fact that they didn't is shameful.

edit: Here's you from that offseason:
Quote:
After he was injured for half the season in '07-'08, he came back in the playoffs and led the team in minutes his second game. I still think he can handle the workload if his hips can hold up.

Last edited by piqued: 01-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I disagree vehemently. The proof was on full display the following season. Zubov still had game left.

The Stars could've and should've done more for one of the best players in franchise history. The fact that they didn't is shameful.
KHL production hardly indicates any kind of NHL success. Did you want them to offer a 1 year deal at or around the previous salary? What would it have taken to not be shameful?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

It indicates that his hip problem was good enough to skate and produce in one of the best leagues in the world. Is it the same as the NHL, of course not, but it's not like it was an injury that was one hit away from being aggravated... and it's not like Zubov got hit in the first place if he had his skating and mobility.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
It indicates that his hip problem was good enough to skate and produce in one of the best leagues in the world. Is it the same as the NHL, of course not, but it's not like it was an injury that was one hit away from being aggravated... and it's not like Zubov got hit in the first place if he had his skating and mobility.
The KHL isn't as physical as the NHL is either so we really don't know if he would have held up. Once again, what do you think the Stars should have offered Zubov?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Don't know, can't be bothered to look up the numbers right now. Capgeek's archive doesn't go back far enough.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Caseman

Quote:

edit: Here's you from that offseason:
Quote:
After he was injured for half the season in '07-'08, he came back in the playoffs and led the team in minutes his second game. I still think he can handle the workload if his hips can hold up.
That was a big if. Maybe if Zubov was willing to accept minimal years, but I doubt he was having that. But I don't know what was negotiated, and neither anyone else.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Got a feeling he would get a goal after getting that extension. Since getting him, he has been one of my favorite players on the team. Glad we got him locked up, even though we did overpay a bit he will be a big piece to our future.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:28 PM
TangoMcBride

and to think...just a few months ago we had people accusing this board of being too sunshine and lollipops about the Stars. This deal will seem like a bargain in a few years when Goligoski establishes himself as a perennial 50+ point defenseman. The NMC is lame but I'm willing to bet that we're not going to want to trade him anyway.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote