HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #47 @ Jets

Old
01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Great game. Exactly how you want to head into the all-star break. I was nervous we were going to have a let down following our physical encounter with the Bruins. But we reacted how the top tier teams are supposed to react. With a strong home performance.

#1 - Callahan
#2 - Lundqvist
#3 - Gaborik (I know he didn't score a goal, but I thought his play and the chances he generated warranted the #3 spot)

HM: Mitchell.

Glad to see Richards score a goal too. He is going to be the biggest x-factor for the second half of the season. I still can't believe, by the all-star break, Richards has 33 points in 47 games (a 57 point pace!). For a $12 million salary, and the cap hit he has, he has to bring more to the table.

Before the trade dead line we will be making a move (bank on it). Most top teams make a move, a minor improvement, to fill a void and help them further compete for the Stanley Cup. In my opinion, a player the fans like will be moved (whether it is Sauer, Dubinsky, etc.) to acquire a legitimate 30-goal scoring wing to play along side Richards. If we cannot get that 30-goal scoring wing for him, and add some scoring depth, than I don't think we can make a legitimate run at the Cup.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I just got back from the game and the atmosphere there was no good. It seemed I was the only one cheering when Lundqvist made a beauty of a save right before the PP for interference in the second period.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
redbranch

Perfect game for my sons first. His favorite player with the gwg,a shutout, and richards finally potting one. Thank you blueshirts!

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
nyrfan1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
Perfect game for my sons first. His favorite player with the gwg,a shutout, and richards finally potting one. Thank you blueshirts!

nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nafsregnar27

vCash: 50
I missed the game because I was in class. Can someone give me a summary of the game? How did McDonagh look, is he back to normal?

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Nice way to finish before the break. Would have liked to see more puck possession, but nice to get a shutout win nonetheless. Henrik deserved #1 with a few nice stops and his 40th shutout. Cally and Gabby for me. If his linemates could shoot straight, Gabby would have had 3 assists.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I just got back from the game and the atmosphere there was no good. It seemed I was the only one cheering when Lundqvist made a beauty of a save right before the PP for interference in the second period.
Yeah.

From TV, it definitely sounded pretty dead besides the usual "Henrik" chants, which were pretty quiet too.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doming07 View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know why Staal barely got 12 minutes of icetime in this game? I had a choppy feed and wasn't really able to watch the game very well. With that being said, I spoke with my brother who said that he did take a big hit in the 2nd period and wasn't sure if he saw him after that.
He did get hammered along the boards in first period. He was handling the puck like it was a grenade, and Stralman was very good tonight.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Most satisfying thing? The Rangers DESERVE to be in 1st place. Their success is not hidden behind smoke and mirrors. They are legit.

Some teams live and die with their PP. Others rely on the shootout for majority of their wins. The Rangers win without a PP and in regulation, CONSISTENTLY.

Imagine if we actually had a dependable power play? We'd be blowing these teams out 4 or 5-0 every night. Or at the very least, our games wouldn't be so close. The power play can't continue to be this bad. We can only get better from here. If we can figure out a way to click at ~20-25%, we'd be SCARY good.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:10 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Staal only played 12 mins...
Honestly I think he could be dangled if the right opportunity arose.
Not saying we should look to trade him, but I do believe he is expendable give the depth we have on the right side...
oh brother.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
OverTheCap

I think Rangers fans are going to have to prepare for the possibility that Staal is going to take longer to return to form than the limited timeframe that they've envisioned in their heads. I'm sick of reading "trade Staal!!" after almost every game.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Yeah.

From TV, it definitely sounded pretty dead besides the usual "Henrik" chants, which were pretty quiet too.
I was at the game with my Dad tonight as well and the crowd was definitely dead aside from some Winnipeg Jet fans that sat a row behind me trying to cheer their team on.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:14 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I think Rangers fans are going to have to prepare for the possibility that Staal is going to take longer to return to form than the limited timeframe that they've envisioned in their heads. I'm sick of reading "trade Staal!!" after almost every game.
Yeah, it's really appalling. He may not be back to 100% until next year for all we know. That doesn't mean he's being traded. The guy was a rock for us prior to his injury and will hopefully get back to that soon...but it might take some time. Why do people have zero patience? It's embarrassing.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Tell me about it. My question is, did these fans watch the Rangers last season, or better yet the last few seasons? Or did they just start watching this year? Staal is a stud. But it's a long process back. Torts is shortening up his bench in the 3rd in tight games. He's sticking with the top 4. That's not any reason to think they'd consider for A SPLIT SECOND that he's expendable.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I was at the game with my Dad tonight as well and the crowd was definitely dead aside from some Winnipeg Jet fans that sat a row behind me trying to cheer their team on.
Non-rival on a weeknight in January? Meh.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Exactly. Pass.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
will1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

will1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Anybody know when was the last time the Rangers were 1st in the conference at the all star break??

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
will1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafsregnar21 View Post
I missed the game because I was in class. Can someone give me a summary of the game? How did McDonagh look, is he back to normal?

McD was fine. No ill effects from Boston. We didn't give the Jets a whole lot, though they did have a handful of really good chances. Power play 0-4 looked slightly better.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
will1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, it's really appalling. He may not be back to 100% until next year for all we know. That doesn't mean he's being traded. The guy was a rock for us prior to his injury and will hopefully get back to that soon...but it might take some time. Why do people have zero patience? It's embarrassing.
Insane is the way I put it. Even Marc not 100 percent is still better than plenty of d-men in the league.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Exactly. Pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
The Phoenix game two weeks ago was louder than tonight.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1066 View Post
McD was fine. No ill effects from Boston. We didn't give the Jets a whole lot, though they did have a handful of really good chances. Power play 0-4 looked slightly better.
The 2 PP's in the 3rd were good, and Pavelec had to come up big to keep them off the board. The first 2 were dreck. Rupp got his butt kicked twice by Thorburn. Henrik was terrific.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
oh brother.
It has nothing to do with me be unhappy with how Staal has played, or impatience.

It has to do with the fact that if we could really use a top LWer or a RH dman with a big shot. We don't need two LH shutdown defensemen logging 25 minutes a game. We have Girardi & McDonagh as the shutdown pair. Del Zotto logs 20-25 minutes as well. We will have Erixon ready by next year and we don't need 4 LHed dmen. Tortorella is very big on keeping dmen on their natural side if you haven't noticed. If you can turn Staal+Anisimov into a young scoring LWer and a RH offensive dmen, I truly thing it improves the team.

If Del Zotto was a RHD, I would not be saying this. It just has to do with our ridiculous depth on the Left side. One of them is expendable and I'd prefer Del Zotto & McDonagh in the long term because they are younger and could both conceivably better than Staal.

I've posted the possibility of trading him before he returned. I'm not saying SHOP him, I'm not saying TRADE him, but if let's say you can do a deal where you get Pacioretty & Subban for him and a smaller piece, you do it.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
will1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
The 2 PP's in the 3rd were good, and Pavelec had to come up big to keep them off the board. The first 2 were dreck. Rupp got his butt kicked twice by Thorburn. Henrik was terrific.
Seemed like Thorburn got the jump on Rupper in the first fight. Like Torts said in the presser, they just gotta go back to basics with the PP and stop making that one extra pass. They're moving the puck around ok. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Kotalik back there at the point. Well, not that much, since he caused as many shorthanders the other way as he scored from back there.