HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Thomas Hickey, a bust?

Old
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Thomas Hickey, a bust?

... I'm not the one saying this.

The categorization came from hockeysfuture

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...7_draft_class/

...Bust. Really? I mean, he might not have the impact expected, but "Bust" in this case pretty much means "is a very long shot to play a single game".

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
15 points in 44 AHL games for an offensive D, he's going to have to start showing offence ASAP since he's not a stay-at-home guy.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 01-24-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Yep.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
15 points in 44 AHL games for an offensive D, he's going to have start showing offence ASAP.
Well... Nicolas Deslauriers has a similar ratio...
(I know, two years younger).

Old
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
MXD

I mean...

While he's probably a bust in the common sense... A bust, at this point of the evaluation, is often a player who's in he CIS, who dropped hockey or is doing a singing reality show.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
no idea why he got drafted so high

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
seanlinden

Bust is definitely the best way to describe Thomas Hickey.

We're not talking about a player who at the age of 18 was viewed as a long term project coming out of some tier 3 swedish league where he's not getting the best development.

We're talking about a guy coming from the WHL (which is problably alongside the OHL in having the quickest development path to the NHL), which means he had the luxury of being basically a pro hockey player since 16. This a guy who dominated at the age of 18 to a great enough extent that he was drafted 7th overall. Almost 5 years later, the improvement in his game is insignificant, and if a guy can't develop in the 18-23 years, chances are he's not going to get much better either.

In fact, if you look throughout history at the OHL and WHL, I believe you'd have to go a long way back to find a guy drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NHL draft (nevermind top 10), who didn't see NHL ice in the first 4 seasons after being drafted, who went on to a NHL career.

I'm sure Hickey will get a chance in the league at some point, but he's problably not going to have a very long career in it.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
SFKingshomer

Manchester is brutal offensively which is part of Hickey's problem. He's been better this year and made the AS team but injuries have set him back for sure. He's still young and should get his shot soon. If he's a bust then so is a guy like Eric Tangradi who is the same age and hasn't done jack in the NHL despite playing an easier position to learn.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Hickey has transitioned his game. This preseason, he really showed a good physical presence and solid defensive skill. While he will never live up to the 4th overall pick status, I feel like he has a very good shot at becoming a normal NHLer one day and definitely not a bust.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
A head-scratcher of a pick when it happened that time has only made look worse.

He still has a chance to turn things around and be a bottom pairing guy, but he's not too likely to come close to living up to his draft status. Still blows my mind that he somehow went above Alzner.

He's almost certainly not going to be with that horrible group that he's with right now of 1st rounders who haven't played in the NHL yet. I think it's fairly safe to say the call won't be coming for Logan MacMillan or Angelo Esposito ever.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

We're not talking about a player who at the age of 18 was viewed as a long term project coming out of some tier 3 swedish league where he's not getting the best development.

We're talking about a guy coming from the WHL (which is problably alongside the OHL in having the quickest development path to the NHL), which means he had the luxury of being basically a pro hockey player since 16. This a guy who dominated at the age of 18 to a great enough extent that he was drafted 7th overall. Almost 5 years later, the improvement in his game is insignificant, and if a guy can't develop in the 18-23 years, chances are he's not going to get much better either.

In fact, if you look throughout history at the OHL and WHL, I believe you'd have to go a long way back to find a guy drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NHL draft (nevermind top 10), who didn't see NHL ice in the first 4 seasons after being drafted, who went on to a NHL career.

I'm sure Hickey will get a chance in the league at some point, but he's problably not going to have a very long career in it.
Hickey was actually drafted 4th overall.

But the 2007 draft sucked. Only Kane is a real star from that 1st round. But I bet the Kings wished they had Alzner instead.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Hickey was without a doubt one of the best players I've ever seen come through Seattle. I still remember his first shift as a 15-year old where he looked like an absolute hockey prodigy blowing past three guys on the other team. Over the years he looked great in all three zones and I've ever throw fists and hits before. I thought for sure he'd make it as at least a second pairing defenseman in the NHL. I'm guessing the injuries he sustained early in his AHL career took away the blazing speed he used to have. I still hope he makes it.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
no idea why he got drafted so high
This again? Lombardi only had a few spots to trade down because BOS wanted him at #8 so he took his guy.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

4th overall.
Also picked wayyyyyyyyy sooner than he should have been. Some much much better defenseman out of that draft already solidifying top 4 roles.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
SFKingshomer

It's only his 2nd full season as a pro and defenseman take forever to develop. Luckily LA doesn't have to rush him and I bet DL gets offers for him but he's not about to give him away. In his first AHL playoff, he was Manchester's best player according to Hextall racking up a PPG before being injured.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Manchester is brutal offensively which is part of Hickey's problem. He's been better this year and made the AS team but injuries have set him back for sure. He's still young and should get his shot soon. If he's a bust then so is a guy like Eric Tangradi who is the same age and hasn't done jack in the NHL despite playing an easier position to learn.
How prospects have performed relative to their draft position plays a part in whether they're considered busts. German Titov and Alexandre Daigle were both drafted in '93 and scored 300+ points in 600+ games, but nobody's going to call Titov a bust because he was drafted in the 10th round.

Tangradi was a 42nd overall pick who's played 28 NHL games and is currently on an NHL roster. Hickey was a 4th overall pick who has yet to play an NHL game.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
SFKingshomer

An example is in the 2007 Draft the Los Angeles Kings and Boston Bruins had Defenseman Thomas Hickey in there top 5

Old
01-24-2012, 10:38 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
How prospects have performed relative to their draft position plays a part in whether they're considered busts. German Titov and Alexandre Daigle were both drafted in '93 and scored 300+ points in 600+ games, but nobody's going to call Titov a bust because he was drafted in the 10th round.

Tangradi was a 42nd overall pick whose played 28 NHL games and is currently on an NHL roster. Hickey was a 4th overall pick who has yet to play an NHL game.
Hickey's also stuck behind some very good young defenseman while Tangradi doesn't have much to beat out in PIT.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Hickey's also stuck behind some very good young defenseman while Tangradi doesn't have much to beat out in PIT.
No not really. Hickey has had his chances, he's a bust.
Meanwhile, defenseman like Alzner, Mcdonagh, Shattenkirk, Subban and Blum are already playing in top 4 roles.
We also have top dmen prospects in Aulie and Goncharov in later rounds.
For a #4 overall Hickey should be in the NHL, not still in the AHL.
He. Is. A. Bust.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Meanwhile, defenseman like Alzner, Mcdonagh, Shattenkirk, Subban and Blum are already playing in top 4 roles.
great. none of those 4 would be able to crack our top 4 right now anyway. im fine with letting Hickey develop more and more. I'm not a Hickey fan, but there's no reason he couldn't become a poor man's Brian Rafalski, who didn't even play an NHL game until he was 26.

Last edited by Rod Buskas*: 01-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:40 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

He's most definitely not a bust. Look at his competition. It's hard for any prospect to beat out Voynov or Martinez as a 22 year old, but Hickey has had to battle through major injuries. He's just about NHL ready. Just no room for him right now.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

His development's been stunted by injuries the first couple seasons. Granted, he's not making an impact in the NHL as soon as I'd like, but I think it's pretty solid he's in the AHL all-star game as a 2nd year pro.

He still has time to make it in the NHL. He may not live up to the expectations of a 4th overall, but I'm fine with that.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:

You're severely underrated the Penguins depth if you don't think Tangradi has much to beat out in Pittsburgh. He's 16th on the forward depth chart, essentially, and is only on the roster because of injuries to Crosby, Staal, and Asham.

That's another story for another time. I'm not sure why Tangradi's name was brought up considering the kid is far from NHL ready at this point, he's just getting limited ice time because of all the injuries the Penguins have had the past couple years. When he's playing he's getting fourth line duties, which is essentially wasting him.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
No not really. Hickey has had his chances, he's a bust.
We also have top dmen prospects in Aulie and Goncharov in later rounds.
For a #4 overall Hickey should be in the NHL, not still in the AHL.
He. Is. A. Bust.

Duncan Keith, without any major injuries, took two AHL seasons to crack into a much weaker NHL defense scoring at a rate similar to Thomas Hickeys. He is a similar height, weight and plays a similar game.

Your. post. is. a. bust.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Is he not living up to expectations? Yes.
Are there defenseman who were taken later in the draft that I'd rather have over him? Sure.

Does that mean he's a bust? No.

We won't know whether he's a bust or not until he is traded for scraps, placed on waivers, or retires. Even then, some of those aren't surefire methods of knowing (like in the case of Grabner).

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote