HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Who is John Galt?

Old
01-24-2012, 12:07 AM
jerrywally23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I hope the Leafs get him.
I'll tell you what I'll trade Thomas to the Leafs for 2 1st rounds and a 2nd round. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Old
01-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Eskimo44

I'd give everyone on my team just for his courage. What a remarkable thing he did today, Einstein said "The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Bravo Tim Thomas for doing something about it, courage of conviction is a very admirable trait IMO. So to sum it up i think he is a very valuable person, nevermind hockey.

Go Ron Paul!

Old
01-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

IMO the bruins should trade him next trade deadline
an Elite Conn Smythe winning goalie could land your team alot
A team looking for a final playoff push before there chances for one starts fading (Sharks) or a Team thats an elite goalie away from a cup (Tbay) could use him and could potentially give up alot for him.
Bruins have a more then capable backup that would be a starter on 2/3 of the teams in the league anyways.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:11 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
I'll tell you what I'll trade Thomas to the Leafs for 2 1st rounds and a 2nd round. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
I don't know about that. He'd actually help them win. Just kidding leafs fans.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:26 AM
chizzler

What if tukka gets hurt after they trade Thomas? ......does make sense to trade him now.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
i'll tell you what i'll trade thomas to the leafs for 2 1st rounds and a 2nd round. Lol lol lol lol lol
"thaaaank youu timmmmmy"

Old
01-24-2012, 06:02 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt98Bruin View Post
The Bruins will never get a return that is worth his value. You could make a very solid argument that he is the best goaltender in the NHL at this point in time but will likely only be there for another year or two tops. He is the BEST player on the Bruins at this point but not many teams are going to give a whole ton up for 1.5 years of stellar goaltending. There is absoluttely no reason for the Bruins to trade him now or ever. Not a knock on either Tim or Tuukka, but playing behind Chara has to help make the job a little easier.

Off topic, I saw Dave Hodge's comments about Tim's kids names but didnt hear Thomas' response. Can anyone please fill me in?
This post says it all.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:04 AM
mytor4*

I don't know. Will he refuse to shake hands with our Prime Minister?

Old
01-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

goalies are never worth much in a trade.. there might be 4-5 examples in the last 30 years where anyone got any real value at all

the last few times the 'best goalie in hockey' got traded i guess we are looking at hasek and roy and louongo as comparables... maybe going back a bit longer you could throw in fuhr

if we see what these guys fetch back in trade value then we learn what goalies are worth

of course there were some younger studs moved that did bring back a bit more value... i guess khabibulin was worth a bit.. and ken wregget got an insane return when toronto moved him.. and now this varlemov deal to colorado might be the worst one yet...

when a gm does pay a price like this for a goalie though they dont keep their jobs too long afterwards and never seem to get rehired again.

there just never seems to be much of a bidding war when a goalie becomes available. good goalies move all the time but some teams never make a bid good enough to get one of them...

we saw byzgalov get waived cause no one would put a bid in for him. we saw well respected vets hit ufa in recent years and have to take massive paycuts to get new jobs... and their teams couldnt move them at the deadline in their ufa season the year before cause the market just isnt there.

boston told thomas agent last offseason to find a trade for thomas.. and there was no trade available. then thomas won his second vezina.

no one was willing to take a chance even after one vezina cause of the salary/age

and now the age is even older yet...

i bet if boston gave him away for free then someone would take him... but to expect a return is very ambitious...

i would guess his value would be some contract that another team didnt want, plus some sort of depth player/asset, and if we were real lucky there might be a pick involved

its no where near his value if we keep him. tuuaka rask on the other hand is a kid with a very good buzz around him and a reasonable contract. these type of guys have gotten better value in trades.

if boston gets 'forced' into a deal... we'd be better off to move rask. thomas hasnt had a long career in the nhl and he seems to love playing hockey. i think he loves being able to let his family be in one spot after his normadic days getting his career going. so i would expect thomas would be willing to sign a new deal with boston when the current one expires.

3-4 years from now he might hit a wall... but in 3-4 years Boston could easily have another goalie of the future developed by then. and goalies dont cost alot to trade for either. if boston seriously needs a goalie in 3-4 years they will have options.

sadly a team cant stay on top forever in this era of the cap. 3-4 years from now after more team success will result in alot of the current b's being too expensive to keep. the team might be ready for a rebuild by then

the important thing in the meantime is try to win another cup now while we know we got the team to do it. having the best goalie in the league is a good thing. keep him for as long as possible until he does show he is too old. it hasnt happened yet.

keep rask too unless the team gets blown away with a trade offer or for whatever reason rask wants to get traded or something

it isnt a horrible thing to have 2 great goalies... and thomas political view isnt reason enough to make a stupid trade

i for one... actually understand his reasons and give him props for his convictions. it wouldnt have been my choice, but i support his right to make the choice he felt was his. that is what the usa is supposed to be about

Old
01-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

what are the Team needs? I don't really see much that would warrant a trade now. Maybe in the offseason but not now

Old
01-24-2012, 06:11 AM
ReVeuF

I can see the Lightning interested

Old
01-24-2012, 06:24 AM
CatOTails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I can see the Lightning interested
they'll wait until he's 40

Old
01-24-2012, 06:30 AM
pld459666

I applaud Tim for voicing his opinion.

I just do not think that this was the proper forum to do it. You are being congratulated for winnning the cup. Nothing more nothing less.

Don' like the guy in charge now, that's fine and it's your right, but go out and campaign for an opponent of the guy.

You can not like the current POTUS and still be man enough and mature enough to accept his compliments.

Tim Thomas chose a poor time to make his statement and it represented a me first attitude.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Everyone brags how great a country we are for having our freedom.... then we use our freedom and everything judges. LOL. Good on Tim.
You have the freedom to eat your own feces too, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
People aren't arguing about his right to freedom of expression, they're arguing about his choice in placing his political views ahead of the team, ahead of his teammates. Thomas has a right to dislike the Democrats and GOP, but perhaps he could have chosen a better way or a less inconvenient time to express himself. He used the attention garnered by the team, to express his personal point of view. I disagree with that.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
stolimanmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I don't know. Will he refuse to shake hands with our Prime Minister?
I'd refuse to shake hands with our Prime Minister.

On topic, however, Timmy sin't going anywhere soon.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:40 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Everyone brags how great a country we are for having our freedom.... then we use our freedom and everything judges. LOL. Good on Tim.
It's freedom of speech and expression, not freedom from criticism.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
It's freedom of speech and expression, not freedom from criticism.
True.

But I see nothing wrong in what he did. Maybe voiceing his displeasure directly to the President would have been better, probably not though.

I for one applaud him for taking a stand on something he feels strongly about, no matter your own beliefs on the issue, you have to respect a man who stands up for his convictions and does it using a non partisan and respectful tone.

IF the bruins traded him it would likely be in the summer and the team I would think that would chace him hard would be Tampa.

What could he net them? I'd imagine the return would be very good, especially from Tampa, whose largest problem is between the pipes.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

He'd be a great fit on the following teams: Stars, Predators, Coyotes, Avalanche, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Panthers, Lightning, Blues.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Haha I knew this was coming.

I'd offer Kadri, Kulemin, and pick one of our goalies.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
You have the freedom to eat your own feces too, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
People aren't arguing about his right to freedom of expression, they're arguing about his choice in placing his political views ahead of the team, ahead of his teammates. Thomas has a right to dislike the Democrats and GOP, but perhaps he could have chosen a better way or a less inconvenient time to express himself. He used the attention garnered by the team, to express his personal point of view. I disagree with that.
So you disagree with taking a stance on anything that is in public view, regardless of if the public viewership option is being controlled by you or not? That makes no sense, it's like saying stand up for your beliefs while no one is watching but don't while people are going to be watching. If you truly believe in something, then apply the value in all situations. It's attitudes like this that keep the status quo, and the status quo clearly isn't working.

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 01-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Haha I knew this was coming.

I'd offer Kadri, Kulemin, and pick one of our goalies.
Value seems close IMO, but I think you have our needs mixed up.

Forward we seem to be set...our entire top six is 26 and under, and we have Spooner, Knight and Koko who are top nine projected players. Not saying theyre sure fire first liners, but they have the upside where its not exactly a need of ours (and koko was IMO the steal of the draft). A big reason Colborne was traded was because hes somewhat redundant in our system...hes clearly meant to be a center, much like Bergy, Krejci and Seguin, not to mention CJs affinity for veteran centers anyway. Great prospect, but redundant with what we have on the team already.

What wed need are defensive players/prospect...namely Schenn/Gardiner. Something around one of them, a pick and one of your goalies would work IMO.

Then again, theres a .000001% chance he ever plays for another team besides Boston, so who knows.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Unless a contending team suddenly needs a starter, I dont think he has much value. Sure he is the best in the league right now, or top 3 at worst. But he is 37 and no team would trade alot for him. Certainly not the overpayment it would take for The Bruins to even consider it.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
trickster

too bad San Francisco doesn't have a team...

He'd fit in great on the left coast...

Anywhere in the West would suit me fine, but there is no way he is going anywhere...

Amazing how fickle fans can be...

This guy is exercising his freedoms, and way too many people are mad about it...

Old
01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Vorkosh

It's not so much that he chose to do what he did as a free citizen, it's how it impacts his teammates and coaches and ownership. It puts them in a very awkward situation as the press and the fans are going to question the players.

"Do you think what Thomas did was right?"

If you're a player on the Bruins how do you possibly answer that while maintaining neutrality?

Thomas can act however he wants as an individual, it's his right as an American citizen, but as Einstien correctly pointed out, for every action, there is an equal or greater reaction. We shall see what that reaction is. But according to several sources Top to Bottom from ownership to teammates, they're not all too happy with Thomas at the moment because it overshadowed what should have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the Bruins as a whole team

Closed Thread