HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Wils98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
As has been said. A face-off counts as a team win aswell. Refs also seem to favour the attacking team on the face-off when on the powerplay, usually due to the defending player trying to cheat to gain the upper hand. Not to mention powerplay face-offs that occur outside the offensive zone. Defending teams often focus more on getting back into position, 3 on 2 outside the zone usually.

Considering most team often get more Powerplays at home than away, you have the added advantage of the defending player having his stick on the ice first also. Take a look at the stats on NHL.com
Alright. Im taking back my words... I analyse the top 30 faceoff men with the most PP faceoff win and there is an increase of almost 3% for PP faceoffs compare to all faceoffs.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 875
Schenn - Couturier - Giroux

You know you want it.

MRxBLACK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Schenn - Couturier - Giroux

You know you want it.
As a line? Not right now, I want to see Hartnell keep scoring goals.
As our center depth for the next 10 years? Absolutely.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:19 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Giroux
Schenn
Couturier
Cousins

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

i'm confident that schenn will at least be a contributor on a good team. he's definitely shown enough defensive ability and physical play for me to say that. the question is whether his offensive game steps up to be a top 6 forward. his floor is probably something like max talbot; i'm hoping for more of a mike richards.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Giroux
Schenn
Couturier
Gaustad
fixed.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:13 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
i'm confident that schenn will at least be a contributor on a good team. he's definitely shown enough defensive ability and physical play for me to say that. the question is whether his offensive game steps up to be a top 6 forward. his floor is probably something like max talbot; i'm hoping for more of a mike richards.
I don't worry one bit about Schenn's offensive game, he had a lot of chances, just didn't go his way on most of them. He's doing the right things.
You don't hold the record for points in one WJC because you're as good as Max Talbot on offense.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
Alright. Im taking back my words... I analyse the top 30 faceoff men with the most PP faceoff win and there is an increase of almost 3% for PP faceoffs compare to all faceoffs.
no probs

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:56 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
fixed.
Unless he takes a paycut no way.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:21 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
fixed.
Probably not the best idea to waste assets on our deepest position...

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Cousins won't be a center in Philadelphia. He'll be used on the wing. I can see him pairing up with Schenn to form a very formidable tandem.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Is it bad that I was disappointed with the lack of a deke tonight in the shootout?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:19 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Nice to see him score even if it was a bit lucky after the game he played on Sunday

Old
01-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Kaktus*

Jagr can take his time.

Old
01-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Is it bad that I was disappointed with the lack of a deke tonight in the shootout?
I'm sure Read's total flub was in his head. Just tried to get him to open up and go 5 hole.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Obiously - 5 versus 4. You win the faceoff if your team gets the puck. The team with 5 skaters has a better shot at getting the puck then the team with 4 does.
Yeah but that gets cancelled (fully or partially) because the defensive team can go full force to win the face off, and shove it backhand into the boards in 50 mph, while the offensive team has to win the face off "clean", can't go full force.

All centermen win more of their face offs in the defensive zone than they win in the offensive zone. I remember reading stats about that and the difference is actually quite big.

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Sasso09

In the future... Giroux, couturier, schenn... Paint me jealous... Obviously Giroux is the #1 which one of these players is #2&3?? In your opinions of course.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
In the future... Giroux, couturier, schenn... Paint me jealous... Obviously Giroux is the #1 which one of these players is #2&3?? In your opinions of course.
IMO Schenn #2, Couturier #3

Old
01-25-2012, 09:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
It used to be Schenn then Couturier, but I think its going to be Couturier, Schenn.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If Schenn can keep up this level of play, there's no need to put Jagr back on that line. Schenn is also better defensively than Jagr and if both he and Hartnell can crash and bang, it will give Giroux more of a chance to be open.
Schenn's physicality does compliment that line, but he really hasn't hooked up with these guys offensively as of yet. I know Schenn has tons of untapped offensive potential, but he has a long way to go to earn a permanent spot on the top line. Jagr has quickly developed exceptional chemistry with Giroux and put up tons of points with that line before he got injured and the production tailed off. If Jags heals himself properly he should be back to playing like he was earlier in the season. So, I think, when healthy he should rejoin G and Harts on that line. Keep in mind, Jagr really likes playing with Giroux. Start messing around and putting him on different lines, maybe he starts getting sour...not something desirable if we want to re-sign him. Just something to think about.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It used to be Schenn then Couturier, but I think its going to be Couturier, Schenn.
Agree, I see more potential in couts... But schenn is much more physical.

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I assume Giroux would be centering our 1st line in the near future, but I expect Couturier to be playing against the opposing team's top line as a shutdown center/line.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
IMO Schenn #2, Couturier #3
Couturier could be #1 too. Size, speed, two way, wrist shots, can pass the puck too. He has everything to be #1 line center

Old
01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
thephillyflu

Except maybe the scoring touch. He neither has great goal-scoring ability nor playmaking ability. Of course those aren't weaknesses since he does have scoring ability, but I don't think they are first centerman in a persistent cup contender material.

When I say "#1 Giroux, #2 Schenn, #3 Couturier", I don't mean Schenn necessarily will become a better player than Couturier, but I think that's how the roles will be distributed, with Schenn as in the role Briere has now, second string offensive center, leading our second offensive unit since of course Giroux will have the first one clinched for years to come, and Schenn also leading unit #2 on the PP (it's not impossible that he'll play with Giroux on the PP though).

Couturier however I think will become the standard "shutdown/checking center in a serious cup contender", although being good enough to be 2nd line center in most teams or maybe even first line in a few, he'll have the role most often called "3rd line center", meaning he'll kill loads of penalties and play against the opponents top line on a nightly basis, while seeing limited time on the PP compared to the top2 centers.

That's not all that unusual, having a 3rd line center that's actually a better player than the 2nd center. But I think, when all is said and done, that Schenn actually will be the better player. Schenn has a way of playing that takes time to adjust to every increase in level, while players of Couturiers size and kind are most often those that most easily adapt to an increase in playing quality. And down the line, it's much easier to teach defensive play than it is to teach scoring touch, the scoring touch is like branded into your DNA, you don't often see kids who've been defensive players in their pre-20s become stars offensively also, but you often see kids that are pure offense in their pre-20s become all star defensively also.

It's funny though, Couturier being viewed as a two-way primarily defensive center, and Schenn an offensive centerman, Couturier being much larger, and yet still Schenn has a lot more of a physical edge and plays way more physical at defense.

I haven't been able to watch Schenn enough to properly assess his defensive abilities, is he a potential Mike Richards in that category or is he pure offense like for instance Briere and'll always be a liability in that end?

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
dats81

I believe Couturier can be a premium two way center for this team, much like Keith Primeau. Not high scoring but solid 50 - 60 points while playing all situations. You can move him up and down in the lineup as needed.

He is already better than Giroux in respect to defense. Giroux is the best example for a high scoring #1 center who dominates on even strength and PP but should not be used on PK at all. His +/- 0 while scoring 55 points so far reflect it.

Schenn is hard to read so far. Could turn into a high-scoring #1-#2 center or end up in a more destructive special team role long term.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote