HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #47 @ Jets

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
  #76
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
I laughed so hard when he done that in the game the wife thought I was nuts.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
  #77
DM Smiths
Rookie User
 
DM Smiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Hank
Cally
Mitchell

Henrik is going to shatter records in his career.
Definitely. 9 more shutouts to tie Giacomin's record.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
  #78
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
It has nothing to do with me be unhappy with how Staal has played, or impatience.

It has to do with the fact that if we could really use a top LWer or a RH dman with a big shot. We don't need two LH shutdown defensemen logging 25 minutes a game. We have Girardi & McDonagh as the shutdown pair. Del Zotto logs 20-25 minutes as well. We will have Erixon ready by next year and we don't need 4 LHed dmen. Tortorella is very big on keeping dmen on their natural side if you haven't noticed. If you can turn Staal+Anisimov into a young scoring LWer and a RH offensive dmen, I truly thing it improves the team.

If Del Zotto was a RHD, I would not be saying this. It just has to do with our ridiculous depth on the Left side. One of them is expendable and I'd prefer Del Zotto & McDonagh in the long term because they are younger and could both conceivably better than Staal.

I've posted the possibility of trading him before he returned. I'm not saying SHOP him, I'm not saying TRADE him, but if let's say you can do a deal where you get Pacioretty & Subban for him and a smaller piece, you do it.

You realize Marc Staal is 25 years old? He's not even in his prime yet and you want to move him over MDZ & McDonagh because they are younger than he is...and because they COULD be be better?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:28 PM
  #79
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Definitely. 9 more shutouts to tie Giacomin's record.
Pretty cool that he'll likely own that record by this time next year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
  #80
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
It has nothing to do with me be unhappy with how Staal has played, or impatience.

It has to do with the fact that if we could really use a top LWer or a RH dman with a big shot. We don't need two LH shutdown defensemen logging 25 minutes a game. We have Girardi & McDonagh as the shutdown pair. Del Zotto logs 20-25 minutes as well. We will have Erixon ready by next year and we don't need 4 LHed dmen. Tortorella is very big on keeping dmen on their natural side if you haven't noticed. If you can turn Staal+Anisimov into a young scoring LWer and a RH offensive dmen, I truly thing it improves the team.

If Del Zotto was a RHD, I would not be saying this. It just has to do with our ridiculous depth on the Left side. One of them is expendable and I'd prefer Del Zotto & McDonagh in the long term because they are younger and could both conceivably better than Staal.

I've posted the possibility of trading him before he returned. I'm not saying SHOP him, I'm not saying TRADE him, but if let's say you can do a deal where you get Pacioretty & Subban for him and a smaller piece, you do it.
Good post. You kind of echo'd the same sentiments that I have for a while now about our defensive core; who we keep or who is considered expendable going forward. If we keep playing well after the all star break and we hold onto one of the top spots as we get closer to the trade deadline, we really need to go for it this year because you never know when an opportunity to compete for a stanley cup will present itself again.

That being said, this team has three significant needs in order to compete:
-a top six forward capable of putting up 30+ goals
-a big physical defenseman
-a defenseman with a big shot from the point to help the pp.

Since it isn't likely we can fill all our needs, I would look to put together a decent package for a top six forward that isn't a rental.

Right now, the only players I would consider as untouchable would be Lundqvist, Stepan, Cally, Richards, McDonagh and Del Zotto. I love Girardi but he would be very attractive to another team in a potential deal because he has a very low cap hit, is still young and is an all star. I don't know how much better he can become as a player where as McDonagh and MDZ are both much younger with far greater upside than him or any of our other defensemen. Of our prospects, I would only classify Kreider as an untouchable and I would only be willing to trade him if it was a one for one deal with someone like the Ducks for Ryan.

It should be interesting to see how things play out in the next few weeks.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
  #81
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You realize Marc Staal is 25 years old? He's not even in his prime yet and you want to move him over MDZ & McDonagh because they are younger than he is...and because they COULD be be better?
People were saying we should trade lundqvist because chad johnson was better a few years ago.

Anyone who says to trade staal in a non-joking way doesn't deserve to have their opinions heard.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:52 PM
  #82
DM Smiths
Rookie User
 
DM Smiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
People were saying we should trade lundqvist because chad johnson was better a few years ago.

Anyone who says to trade staal in a non-joking way doesn't deserve to have their opinions heard.
Thank God I've only heard about that now.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:55 PM
  #83
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You realize Marc Staal is 25 years old? He's not even in his prime yet and you want to move him over MDZ & McDonagh because they are younger than he is...and because they COULD be be better?
Yes of course I know his age.
But we basically know what he is... He is an elite shutdown guy. Right now both Girardi & McDonagh are playing like elite shutdown guys. This is also not mentioning that Del Zotto has played fantastic defensively. What McD and Del Zotto have that Staal doesn't is a lot of offensive upside. Staal makes a lot of mistakes when he tries to do much offensively. McDonagh's skating helps eliminate this issue...
I would ideally like to see us turn Staal & perhaps Anisimov (who is good, but far too inconsistent) into something that addresses a need. We don't need all this left side D depth, nor all this 2nd line centre depth (not that we have Richards)... Those are the two positions I would look to deal from. Staal by far has the most trade value considering his resume. I think that would be awesome to leverage.
Remember this isn't just getting rid of Staal...This would require adding a RH dman with a strong point shot as well to spread out some of our depth to the right side + add a LWer.

If I'm using Staal & Anisimov as trade bait I'm keeping my eyes on the following situations:
-Shea Weber (Staal, Anisimov, 1st might get it done)
-Subban (Anisimov, Staal for MaxPac, Subban)
-Schenn
-Bobby Ryan (Staal+ for Ryan)

At the end of the day, you only deal him if you are getting back:
a) a RH defenseman with a point shot who is better than Staal
b) a RH defenseman with a point shot who is solid but maybe not as good as Staal + a top 6 physical scoring LWer.

The last thing I'm trying to do is say:

"ZOMG STALL CAME BACK FROM CONCUSSION AND NOW SUX, TRAID HIM NAO!"

He hasn't sucked...but I think what has emerged (and what will emerge (Erixon) on the LHs allows us to deal him for one of a LWer, RH Dman or both.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:01 AM
  #84
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
People were saying we should trade lundqvist because chad johnson was better a few years ago.

Anyone who says to trade staal in a non-joking way doesn't deserve to have their opinions heard.
Come on thats a bad comparison...
I remember that and that was one poster.
Chad Johnson has a string of like 2 good games.
Its very different having a backup play 2 games and look decent than have two very solid defenseman who have been hyped for quite sometime and have played solidly for an entire season for 25 mins a game...

Staal was absent for 1/2 the year and we're in first place. Not only that but on the Left Side where he will play, we have Del Zotto & McDonagh who are playing as well as Staal played for us in the past...and we have Erixon in the wings. Staal can absolutely be traded for an equivalent RHD considering our depth on that side is much weaker. Sauer doesn't have the upside that McD and MDZ have.

Hypothetically
Can you say that we're not a better team if we deal Anisimov & Staal and pick for Shea Weber.
It:
1. Allows us to play a solid top 4 for 5/6's of the game, rather than giving Stralman 25 minutes b/c he is the only other guy who can play the Right side...
2. Give us immediate help on the powerplay. Remember when Del Zotto had a point shot to use on the point? Kotalik. The PP was on fire.

There is nothing wrong with trading Staal in the right situation...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:08 AM
  #85
NYRSchrute217
Registered User
 
NYRSchrute217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Good effort tonight. Played a complete game from start to finish. Lundqvist and Pavelec were great. The PP was better.

Always room for improvement, but leading the conference at the break is something to be proud of.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:19 AM
  #86
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Come on thats a bad comparison...
I remember that and that was one poster.
Chad Johnson has a string of like 2 good games.
Its very different having a backup play 2 games and look decent than have two very solid defenseman who have been hyped for quite sometime and have played solidly for an entire season for 25 mins a game...

Staal was absent for 1/2 the year and we're in first place. Not only that but on the Left Side where he will play, we have Del Zotto & McDonagh who are playing as well as Staal played for us in the past...and we have Erixon in the wings. Staal can absolutely be traded for an equivalent RHD considering our depth on that side is much weaker. Sauer doesn't have the upside that McD and MDZ have.

Hypothetically
Can you say that we're not a better team if we deal Anisimov & Staal and pick for Shea Weber.
It:
1. Allows us to play a solid top 4 for 5/6's of the game, rather than giving Stralman 25 minutes b/c he is the only other guy who can play the Right side...
2. Give us immediate help on the powerplay. Remember when Del Zotto had a point shot to use on the point? Kotalik. The PP was on fire.

There is nothing wrong with trading Staal in the right situation...
I agree with you wholeheartedly but I don't think Staal's value would be maximized right now because of the concussion he is coming off of.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
  #87
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You realize Marc Staal is 25 years old? He's not even in his prime yet and you want to move him over MDZ & McDonagh because they are younger than he is...and because they COULD be be better?
Staal is what he is; he's not going to get that much better defensively and he has a very limited ceiling offensively.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:34 AM
  #88
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I'm not saying SHOP him, I'm not saying TRADE him, but if let's say you can do a deal where you get Pacioretty & Subban for him and a smaller piece, you do it.
Very remote possibility of this happening. I think he's worth that at least, but I don't think another team lets go of their core players.

...and we're not sending Marc Staal anywhere..seriously.

Another thing, it's been less than a week since R MaC got crushed in Boston. We were lucky there. McD could have been gone long time. Makes me feel better knowing that Stalsy's back there tuning up his game. He'll be pretty set come playoff time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:37 AM
  #89
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Staal is what he is; he's not going to get that much better defensively and he has a very limited ceiling offensively.
So all of a sudden being an elite shutdown defenseman who scores 30 points is nothing special?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:45 AM
  #90
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
PoTG: Hank, like nearly every game.

Good: Callahan, our top 4 D, Prust, Mitchell. Most players.

Bad: Richards scored, but he did not have a great game. Better then his recent dry spot yes, but not good. Still looks like he's never passed or shot a puck before in his life. I'm beginning to get a tad bit worried about Staal.

Richards: The all-star break.
Not sure I agree with you about Richards tonight. I thought he had a pretty solid game. He scored a goal, dominated the faceoff circle, and that tip pass to Gabby was a thing of beauty.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:47 AM
  #91
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,422
vCash: 500
woooooooooooooooooooo!

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:17 AM
  #92
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Yes of course I know his age.
But we basically know what he is... He is an elite shutdown guy. Right now both Girardi & McDonagh are playing like elite shutdown guys. This is also not mentioning that Del Zotto has played fantastic defensively. What McD and Del Zotto have that Staal doesn't is a lot of offensive upside. Staal makes a lot of mistakes when he tries to do much offensively. McDonagh's skating helps eliminate this issue...
I would ideally like to see us turn Staal & perhaps Anisimov (who is good, but far too inconsistent) into something that addresses a need. We don't need all this left side D depth, nor all this 2nd line centre depth (not that we have Richards)... Those are the two positions I would look to deal from. Staal by far has the most trade value considering his resume. I think that would be awesome to leverage.
Remember this isn't just getting rid of Staal...This would require adding a RH dman with a strong point shot as well to spread out some of our depth to the right side + add a LWer.

If I'm using Staal & Anisimov as trade bait I'm keeping my eyes on the following situations:
-Shea Weber (Staal, Anisimov, 1st might get it done)
Might get it done?

Talk about an overpayment.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:22 AM
  #93
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Not sure I agree with you about Richards tonight. I thought he had a pretty solid game. He scored a goal, dominated the faceoff circle, and that tip pass to Gabby was a thing of beauty.
Yeah but he was a turnover machine and a liability otherwise.

People must have really low expectations for Richie if that was a "good" game. It was better, I'll give you that, but he can do much better.

I also have a peculiar feeling he wouldn't have been a star on some people's lists if he didn't score a goal.

I've seen him plenty of times before he became a Ranger, he's not even playing at 50% right now. I don't know if he's injured, misses his GF or is still has to get used to New York (the likely answer, fingers crossed), but he's been a no-show.

I was amazed at the Prospal signing, we finally caught a break and got every drop of offense out of someone.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:33 AM
  #94
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 500
I've mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again.

We need a right handed shot to play where MDZ has been on the power play.

TWICE tonight Richards found him sneaking in with beautiful cross-ice passes, but because MDZ is a left handed shot, it takes him a second to receive the pass and get in position to shoot, and by that time the goaltender is able to slide over and be ready for the shot. Both times MDZ didn't have anything to shoot at and unsuccessfully tried to go backdoor to Callahan.

If a righty is in that spot, whether it be Stralman or Stepan, they can one-time that cross ice pass from Richards and have a GLORIOUS scoring chance.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:38 AM
  #95
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I've mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again.

We need a right handed shot to play where MDZ has been on the power play.

TWICE tonight Richards found him sneaking in with beautiful cross-ice passes, but because MDZ is a left handed shot, it takes him a second to receive the pass and get in position to shoot, and by that time the goaltender is able to slide over and be ready for the shot. Both times MDZ didn't have anything to shoot at and unsuccessfully tried to go backdoor to Callahan.

If a righty is in that spot, whether it be Stralman or Stepan, they can one-time that cross ice pass from Richards and have a GLORIOUS scoring chance.
Stralman should be used more often on the PP as well. He's had success there in his career.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:54 AM
  #96
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,317
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Yeah but he was a turnover machine and a liability otherwise.

People must have really low expectations for Richie if that was a "good" game. It was better, I'll give you that, but he can do much better.

I also have a peculiar feeling he wouldn't have been a star on some people's lists if he didn't score a goal.

I've seen him plenty of times before he became a Ranger, he's not even playing at 50% right now. I don't know if he's injured, misses his GF or is still has to get used to New York (the likely answer, fingers crossed), but he's been a no-show.

I was amazed at the Prospal signing, we finally caught a break and got every drop of offense out of someone.
Richards was never good defensively so I think you just had higher expectations for Richards.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:55 AM
  #97
Glennsoe
Horndog
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,050
vCash: 500
Whenever we Get a shotout, the goalie get's my vote..

Props to Rupp for the fights too..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:10 AM
  #98
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,641
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Definitely. 9 more shutouts to tie Giacomin's record.
he'll grab the record next season most likely. and he's still young.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:46 AM
  #99
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,083
vCash: 500
POTG: Coach Tortorella.

Renney teams NEVER played this well in "trap" type games.

NEVER. Honestly I cant remember a Rangers team that DID play well in these kinds of games... They always choked em away. Instead the Rangers came out and put a stranglehold on the ThrasherrrrrJets from the opening puck drop. A few hairy moments here and there (no team is going to play a perfect 60 minute game) but by and large, the Rangers were outstanding.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:24 AM
  #100
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,213
vCash: 500
Well,

I guessed the score and the shut-out, just messed up the goal scorers...

Quote:
I am predicting a win, but no goals for Gaborik. I think Hagelin gets a goal and Anisimov gets 2.

3-0 win with a shutout for Biron

Very solid performance with 2 players really standing out. Lundqvist and Hagelin! The best moment marking Hagelin's performance was the commentators saying "Every line with Hagelin has been good tonight" after he was shifted between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line.

King Henrik made some trademark saves. Especially the one on Glass was phenomenal

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.