HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Power Play Discussion

Old
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Learned helplessness.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

This power play is painful to watch. Last night was just brutal. This will begin to actively cost the team games if they don't work it out.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:19 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
This power play is painful to watch. Last night was just brutal. This will begin to actively cost the team games if they don't work it out.
I actually thought last night showed a small glimmer of improvement. Jets goalie made some big saves. But only for periods, not a dominant sustained pressure. Nobody can hold onto the puck getting it into the zone and when they are in the zone things go too slowly. Missing the net too much (taking bad shots too), not utilizing D on the PP properly, some idiotic dump & chase. This is A BIG ISSUE that needs to be looked into. What is up with coaching here? Where is Brad Redden hiding?

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:28 AM
bmw2004

When are you going to fix the power play??? My God, I would love to ask this question to Torts and his coaching staff.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I thought Richards looked really good on the Power Play yesterday, with his pass to Gaborik, that while got saved, was a still a great play, as well as his pass to Del Zotto which he DIDN'T SHOOT!!!

Theres hope, but its still a work in progress, and something that HAS to get better. Its going to be very important for the post season.

Just imagine how many more wins this team would have if they could cash in on Power Plays. We'd probably still be in single digit losses!

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
I thought Richards looked really good on the Power Play yesterday, with his pass to Gaborik, that while got saved, was a still a great play, as well as his pass to Del Zotto which he DIDN'T SHOOT!!!

Theres hope, but its still a work in progress, and something that HAS to get better. Its going to be very important for the post season.

Just imagine how many more wins this team would have if they could cash in on Power Plays. We'd probably still be in single digit losses!
We would be in single digit losses if we could beat the teams in Ontario & Montreal...even with a poor PP !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I didn't mind Del Zotto passing those pucks all that much to be honest, the goalie was square to him and it wasn't a great angle. Thing is that Callahan has to be ready for those passes and it was an easy tap in (twice) if he is in the right position

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I actually thought last night showed a small glimmer of improvement. Jets goalie made some big saves. But only for periods, not a dominant sustained pressure. Nobody can hold onto the puck getting it into the zone and when they are in the zone things go too slowly. Missing the net too much (taking bad shots too), not utilizing D on the PP properly, some idiotic dump & chase. This is A BIG ISSUE that needs to be looked into. What is up with coaching here? Where is Brad Redden hiding?
I felt the same way. They weren't able to keep the PP consistent throughout the 2 minutes though.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Someone on another forum I post on nailed it: the Rangers pass too slowly particularly D-to-D. One D will go to the other, who then sits on the puck for 2 seconds before passing again. That gives PK'ers all the time in the world to stay in good position to block shooting lanes.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Vancouver has the best PP in the league. They always someone(Kesler or Burrows) in front of the net. Edler has 18 of his 34 points on the PP. The Sedins have the puck on a string. The PP is Torts' baby.

This video is awesome. Torts with a 'stache and he sounds so subdued.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Because the problem is more likely execution, not instruction.
You're underestimating coaching.

Just look at them on the PP. They can't even get setup most of the time. It looks like they don't even know what to do. We are 25th in PP%. Look at some of the teams above us, even in the top 10. We have enough talent to be at least top 15.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:

Agreed. A small glimmer of hope... albeit against a bad team.

If Gabby scores there (nice save) and MDZ roofs it instead of passes it, it might be a bigger glimmer. Still needs work and it will be our downfall if it isn't fixed.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
You're underestimating coaching.

Just look at them on the PP. They can't even get setup most of the time. It looks like they don't even know what to do. We are 25th in PP%. Look at some of the teams above us, even in the top 10. We have enough talent to be at least top 15.
If anything, you're simultaneously overestimating the effect of coaching and underestimating the abilities of our coaching staff. Once again, does anyone really think their remedies are anything that the coaching staff isn't already preaching? Movement? Shots? Decisiveness? You guys floor me with your sharp analysis! If you really think Tortorella doesn't see those issues, you vastly underestimate him as a coach. Conversely, I'm the first one to mention the profound effect a good coach can have on a team, but it only goes so far. The players still have to execute on the ice. The whole thing is psychological and any work Tortorella has been doing ends as soon as each player steps out on the ice with the man-advantage.

During the game, it's the coach's responsibility to have given the players the system they need to succeed. It's the player's collective responsibility to execute that system. Given their ability to execute Tortorella's game plan in every other situation, I would say that the coaching is not the issue here. There's just no way Tortorella hasn't given them a game plan to execute on the ice. If you think that's the case, you really don't understand our coach at all.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:19 PM
30TheKing30

Quote:
If anything, you're simultaneously overestimating the effect of coaching and underestimating the abilities of our coaching staff. Once again, does anyone really think their remedies are anything that the coaching staff isn't already preaching? Movement? Shots? Decisiveness? You guys floor me with your sharp analysis! If you really think Tortorella doesn't see those issues, you vastly underestimate him as a coach. Conversely, I'm the first one to mention the profound effect a good coach can have on a team, but it only goes so far. The players still have to execute on the ice. The whole thing is psychological and any work Tortorella has been doing ends as soon as each player steps out on the ice with the man-advantage.

During the game, it's the coach's responsibility to have given the players the system they need to succeed. It's the player's collective responsibility to execute that system. Given their ability to execute Tortorella's game plan in every other situation, I would say that the coaching is not the issue here. There's just no way Tortorella hasn't given them a game plan to execute on the ice. If you think that's the case, you really don't understand our coach at all.
Ask any coach. If the team is not performing successfully, they will openly admit it is their own fault. However, I agree with you that it is not Torts' fault for the lack of power play; that honor belongs to Mike Sullivan. It is Sullivan's job to improve all of the horrible aspects of the power play (skating, one-timers, etc). That's why he gets paid the big bucks as assistant.

The fact that we, at times, have 4 stationary players during a power play is simply unacceptable. Moving players around the ice opens up lanes. You don't need to be a genius to understand that. I've been saying it all year, with a little room Anisimov is a sniper. Get him the puck on the power play and his stats will come.

I'm not trying to trivialize the issues the Rangers have on the power play. I just think this team needs a little more guidance to get them where they need to be.

30TheKing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30TheKing30 View Post
Ask any coach. If the team is not performing successfully, they will openly admit it is their own fault.
Oh really? Scroll down to the section labelled "Third Period."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...ankings-012512

Quote:
“I think that when the team isn’t going well, it’s usually a lot deeper than just the coach, and when the team is going well, it’s a lot bigger than the coach,” Hitchcock said.
The Rangers problems on the powerplay go far deeper than just the coaching. I wouldn't absolve the coach of all fault, because if the players forget his guidance when they step out on the ice, that's a problem. But ultimately, this issue on the powerplay is not on the coach, whether it's Tortorella or Sullivan.

And the issues you described are still not guidance issues, because, once again, there's just no way the coach is not preaching "movement" when they work on the powerplay.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:27 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Get in their zone, go in position, move the puck well, screen their goalie and look for deflections or tip ins, fire from the blueline. It´s not that hard, just do it god damn...

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
30TheKing30

Quote:
Oh really? Scroll down to the section labelled "Third Period."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...ankings-012512

The Rangers problems on the powerplay go far deeper than just the coaching. I wouldn't absolve the coach of all fault, because if the players forget his guidance when they step out on the ice, that's a problem. But ultimately, this issue on the powerplay is not on the coach, whether it's Tortorella or Sullivan.

And the issues you described are still not guidance issues, because, once again, there's just no way the coach is not preaching "movement" when they work on the powerplay.

Of course the coaches are preaching "movement". However, given the Rangers' lack of production on the PP, it is the responsibility of the coaches to watch the game tape and find a system that works best for the team. The Rangers do not have a laundry list of scoring talent, but they still find a way to score at even strength, albeit they even have trouble doing this at times.

The biggest concern of the fans is that there appears to be little urgency in the Rangers' PP. A few lines down from your quote, Ken Hitchcock also says something which would fit this situation pretty well...

Quote:
“If our team doesn’t have energy and it doesn’t have spirit, somewhere along the line, there’s a breakdown. And when there’s no structure and it’s just ‘drop the puck’ and it’s summer hockey or spring hockey or whatever you want to call it, that’s our responsibility. We’ve got to take ownership there. When a manager doesn’t see those two things, then that falls on our lid. We’ve got to be responsible.”

30TheKing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
skitts

@JimCerny
Jim Cerny
#NYR take to ice for early morning practice...working extensively on power play right now...

skitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitts View Post
@JimCerny
Jim Cerny
#NYR take to ice for early morning practice...working extensively on power play right now...
They should be working extensively on the powerplay every single day until it starts working.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
We need to stop dumping it in on the powerplay. I've never seen a successful team do that
this. for as long as I can remember the Rangers have ALWAYS dumped the puck a ton on the PP.. I say it all the time to my fellow Ranger friends, youre on the power play, puck possession is huge, control the puck set up a umbrella and move the puck around. This dump and chase is not going to work on the PP, never has, never will.

Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
We need to stop dumping it in on the powerplay. I've never seen a successful team do that
Do you prefer the MDZ carry the puck into the neutral zone and drop the pass off for Richards to carry in to lose at the blueline technique that they always do?

Same crap they used to do with Gomez too, it's so annoying.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
BBKers

I am reluctantly getting to the point where I feel I must chime in with The Norwegian contingency. Bring up The Hobbit. Now, Give him until the deadline to show us his PP skills.
If he does not produce there - flip him along with a pick/midtier prospect for Vinny Prospal the 27th. If he does well - especially on the PP which I think he might - problem solved. See ---- simple fix. It simply cannot get much worse than it is now. We need someone with the skills to get the puck into the zone and hold onto it a little, create scoring chances through creative & rapid passing and then pounce on rebounds. Also using the defensemen to break in on goals through "Gretzky passing" from behind the net. Here I think MZA might be able to deliver - nobody else has...

Maybe try:

MZA - Stepan - Gabby
Hagelin - Richards - Cally
Dubinsky - AA - Mitchell (Wolski)
Feds/Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Then maybe we also look into a trade for an upgrade at Left fwd /for Wolski + 2nd round pick pick + non toptier prospect/ (Smyth, Morrow, Selänne, Rutuu, Kotitsyn come to mind as possibilities - I would stay away from Hemsky) if they are really on the market and price is within reason. They might not be available at all. Otherwise - we stay put and play with what we got on fwd.
The Sauer situation dictates what we do on defense. Time will tell...

Old
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Dump and chase is not an effective PP strategy.

They need to find a way to open things up on the carry in to allow...a carry in. Then, move the puck. They just stand there and make bouncing/off the mark passes that either result in a broken play or a clear. They're thinking too much, especially Richards. K.I.S.S. That should be plastered in the room.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Dump and chase is not an effective PP strategy.

They need to find a way to open things up on the carry in to allow...a carry in. Then, move the puck. They just stand there and make bouncing/off the mark passes that either result in a broken play or a clear. They're thinking too much, especially Richards. K.I.S.S. That should be plastered in the room.
Very good analysis
Totally agree
But they have just continued this abysmal strategy game after game.
Why is that
Do they not know better?
Or have they been told to keep playing it this way?
This I would really like to know...

Old
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Dorado*

WW FROM MZA on the PP...... In CT though .Both the type of players that don't fit the NYR but probably would help the PP on the big club . Unless the NYR really go in the tank we will be seeing more PP failure but if it is offset with great PK and W 's Torts isn't changing anything

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote