HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-20-2012, 06:22 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus* View Post
He metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization? Huh?

And where did I ever say anything about pissing off your employer?

Again, for the 500th time, if you could give me some shred of evidence about what he did as a Ranger, it'd be easier to address.

But you can't, so you resort to your typical nonsense like this.

As if you're the only one with knowledge of these things.
He disobeyed a known standing dress code.

He said negative things about the organization.

Big deal?

Try these tactics at your job.

But you are still missing the main point.

No one owes Sean a thing. If management does not want him that is their decision.

Your defending him here is based on the impossible hypothesis of proving a negative. You tell us he has done nothing wrong to his teammates. Maybe so, maybe not. Who cares?

They reached the decision that his negatives outweigh his positives. The same way other organizations have.

But Ruckus can see through it all and sees the real truth; Avery is a persecuted victim.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:38 AM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, which included this on Avery:

I think it's fairly obvious there were some issues in the dressing room this year with Avery (MDZ-Avery incident in Carolina, Buffalo locker room incident, etc) that Torts had enough and wanted him as far away from this team as possible. When you're winning and have a great locker room, you don't need someone who's not playing in Avery to act up and get out of line. It's a distraction.
I've pretty much stopped caring about this. I wish he was still playing for us because he is a better option than what we have. But Torts is Torts....

but what are these incidents you are referring? MDZ in Carolina, and Buffalo?

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather offered to loan Avery to another AHL loan.

Quote:
The Rangers found no takers on an email general manager Glen Sather sent around the league late last week offering Sean Avery on loan to another AHL club, The Post has learned. There’s no upside for any club to do that, because Avery would have to clear re-entry to join the acquiring club in the NHL, with that club risking dead cap space on a claim. The Post has learned there continues to be NHL interest in Avery, who is a jagged square peg in the AHL Whale’s round hole, if Sather places him on re-entry.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1kSjKNIjH

Where is the benefit for the Rangers by placing Avery on re-entry and taking a cap hit for him to play on another team?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Where is the benefit for the Rangers by placing Avery on re-entry and taking a cap hit for him to play on another team?
None.

This is a business, you just don't do that...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:51 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

None. Whatsoever. Totally agree. Sather may wait until close to the deadline, complete the deal(s) he wants to do to upgrade the team with and then eventually deal with the Avery situation (re-entry/minor league trade/loan/whatever). EVENTUALLY. It would be insane management in every aspect to do this now until all the pieces are in place as taking the caphit now would limit possibilities at the deadline. Whatever the consequences (just keep Sean out of the Whale lineup if need be).

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:29 AM
DrAStuart

Wow...the conspiracy against Avery just keeps getting bigger. 30 GMs in the NHL have passed on him three times (twice down, one up) and now all the AHL teams have passed on him...and the Whale are obviously taking direct calls from Torts to keep him on the bench...It must be a full-time job for someone just to insure that the entire hockey system in N.America and the media line-up together to destroy his career...almost makes you feel sorry for him...almost

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:

I'm confused...just because he's loaned to another AHL team doesn't make him the property of that clubs affiliated AHL team...as far as I remember Avery was "loaned" to the Wolf Pack a few years ago and then Dallas still had to put him on re-entry for the Rangers to grab him.

Though I guess it could be just assumed that whichever AHL, NHL affiliate he is loaned to has the interest in him, and then will try and claim on re-entry when he's placed there by the Rangers; and there in lies the risk of losing him. But only the risk of losing him, and not the risk of dead cap space for the club that had the interest in him.

Or am I completely wrong here?

EDIT - Also confusing, I keep seeing people who want to wait until after the deadline to place Avery on re-entry, though, if he gets claimed, wouldn't he have to have been on that teams roster BEFORE the deadline in order to be eligible for the playoffs? I think if that's the case his chances of being claimed would crash.

Last edited by silverfish: 01-25-2012 at 07:51 AM.
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Vitto79

If after the trade deadline the Rangers have space to take the rentry hit then they will waive him, otherwise it wont happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:58 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Wow...the conspiracy against Avery just keeps getting bigger. 30 GMs in the NHL have passed on him three times (twice down, one up) and now all the AHL teams have passed on him...and the Whale are obviously taking direct calls from Torts to keep him on the bench...It must be a full-time job for someone just to insure that the entire hockey system in N.America and the media line-up together to destroy his career...almost makes you feel sorry for him...almost
LOL, yeah it's a global anti-Avery conspiracy. Some of you guys are unreal.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Levitate

What I'm confused about is when did Avery become bigger than the team in some peoples minds

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
Is this a joke? Aside from the few friends he made in the Ranger locker room, just about everyone else hates him. This conspiracy nonsense is getting old. The few things he brings to the table does not outweigh all the negative things. He's bad for the locker room. There's a reason no one wants him except that same secret team Brooks keeps talking about. Stop with the ****ing conspiracy already.

01-25-2012, 08:21 AM
NYR Viper

^^^
This is my problem with a lot of it. The team is 1st in the East and 1 point behind Detroit for 1st in the league with 2 games in hand. Obviously the team is getting by without Avery. Why complain about it?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The LAPD "fat little pigs" incident
Which turned out to be the cops trumping up some charges on Avery to arrest him, which were later dropped

Quote:
The "OMG, he called me a ***" incident with Simmonds
Simmonds clearly called him a "****ing ******" and people shouldn't be tolerant of that kind of stuff these days

Quote:
The "Frolov racial slur" incident
This never, ever happened. Frolov immediately came out and said that he never said that about Avery in the interview and he never ever heard Avery say something like that.

If your point is that crap seems to follow Avery around regardless of whether he is doing something wrong or not, then yeah I agree, but I don't think we should use false arguments against him, there's plenty of material that he obviously did do.

Bottom line IMO is that Avery is unreliable both on and off the ice and that's not what Tortorella wants with this team. That's not what most contenders want with their team. I think Avery could still be an effective player in the NHL somewhere but no team that's trying to contend wants a player that they don't know what they're going to get from.

You never know if you're going to wake up and Avery did/said something crazy and suddenly the attention is all on him. You (apparently) never know if you're going to show up at the rink and Avery will be giving tours to his family, instead of preparing for a game. You never know if he's going to be play hard, effective and agitating hockey, or if he's going to take stupid penalties, mouth off to everyone including the refs, forget to play defense, and take 10 offsides per game. This is one big reason why guys like Mitchell, Rupp, and even Christensen are still with the team. Tortorella knows what he's going to get from those players game in and game out.

I kinda doubt Avery is that bad of a guy or anything but he does seem to place himself outside of the team in a lot of ways and that's just not going to work this year and is a big reason why Tortorella isn't a fan of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Is this a joke? Aside from the few friends he made in the Ranger locker room, just about everyone else hates him. This conspiracy nonsense is getting old. The few things he brings to the table does not outweigh all the negative things. He's bad for the locker room. There's a reason no one wants him except that same secret team Brooks keeps talking about. Stop with the ****ing conspiracy already.
Yes that person was being sarcastic.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Which turned out to be the cops trumping up some charges on Avery to arrest him, which were later dropped
Which doesn't change the fact that he said "fat little pigs" which is all that I mentioned.
Quote:
Simmonds clearly called him a "****ing ******" and people shouldn't be tolerant of that kind of stuff these days
Considering some of the crap that comes out of Avery's mouth, it's the pot calling the kettle black. He should've stayed quiet on the issue - especially because it's HIM and the way HE behaves on the ice.
Quote:
This never, ever happened. Frolov immediately came out and said that he never said that about Avery in the interview and he never ever heard Avery say something like that.
Well, the point was that it's another cloud over Avery's head - and let's not forget that Laraque also said (2005) that Avery used a racial slur towards him. It's not like it isn't possible. Frolov apparently said it and then retracted it. Whatever.

Quote:
If your point is that crap seems to follow Avery around regardless of whether he is doing something wrong or not, then yeah I agree, but I don't think we should use false arguments against him, there's plenty of material that he obviously did do.
Nothing I stated here was false, unfortunately. All of this stuff follows Avery around and I don't blame all of the NHL (and now AHL) teams that want nothing to do with him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I know sarcasm doesn't always translate well through writing, but come on, he was laying it on pretty thick.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
eco's bones

Rangers had problems with Rissmiller a couple years ago and loaned him to another AHL team to keep him away from their own prospects. Rissmiller was very publicly critical of his being sent to the minors and he was dogging it in on the ice--e.g. avoiding hits, giving half hearted effort. That seemed to go on for something like a whole season. Really haven't heard that much from Avery--although I'm sure he's not too happy with his situation and it wouldn't surprise me if he's not exactly giving his all. We could put it into context though--some people for instance think that Redden's going some extra mile helping our young defensemen--but whether or not that is the case we've also heard the commentary that he's a 'pacer'--meaning he has a comfort zone of just how much effort he's going to put into his own play.

It's apparent that the Rangers don't need either Avery or Redden anymore. It's apparent at least to me that Mitchell can do more than an acceptable job as a bottom liner and it's a fact for me anyway that I feel more comfortable with him in the lineup than with either of the more talented but inconsistent Wolski or Christensen--neither of whom likes getting his nose dirty. That Rupp's combination of protection and decent play surpasses by a wide margin anything that Orr, Brashear, Booggard ever provided. It's a big difference from last year when we had Drury bumbling around and were trying to figure out what to hell to do with Avery, MZA, EC and Wolski.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A transaction needs to be made for Avery to play for another NHL team. Avery needs to be on a NHL roster by 2/27 to be eligible for the playoffs. Which NHL team wants Avery another he made a spectacle of himself in CT? Suspended for dress code violation. If there is one guy who owns a suit,its Mr. Vogue. Healthy scratches. The Rangers were the only team which accepted Avery on loan last time. Dallas put him on re-entry. Perhaps Slats wants the other team to see Avery is worth taking a chance on re-entry. He isn't such a louse after all. The Rangers trade Avery and the acquiring team put him on re-entry.

Sean could void his contract and become a free agent closer to the deadline. Morris talks to other teams if they would be interested in signing Avery. He forfeits the remaining $4M or the Rangers send him home with pay.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers had problems with Rissmiller a couple years ago and loaned him to another AHL team to keep him away from their own prospects. Rissmiller was very publicly critical of his being sent to the minors and he was dogging it in on the ice--e.g. avoiding hits, giving half hearted effort. That seemed to go on for something like a whole season. Really haven't heard that much from Avery--although I'm sure he's not too happy with his situation and it wouldn't surprise me if he's not exactly giving his all. We could put it into context though--some people for instance think that Redden's going some extra mile helping our young defensemen--but whether or not that is the case we've also heard the commentary that he's a 'pacer'--meaning he has a comfort zone of just how much effort he's going to put into his own play.

It's apparent that the Rangers don't need either Avery or Redden anymore. It's apparent at least to me that Mitchell can do more than an acceptable job as a bottom liner and it's a fact for me anyway that I feel more comfortable with him in the lineup than with either of the more talented but inconsistent Wolski or Christensen--neither of whom likes getting his nose dirty. That Rupp's combination of protection and decent play surpasses by a wide margin anything that Orr, Brashear, Booggard ever provided. It's a big difference from last year when we had Drury bumbling around and were trying to figure out what to hell to do with Avery, MZA, EC and Wolski.

Our five worst players have been replaced with either better talent (Richards) or harder workers (Rupp, Mitchell) or players with a a combination of both (Hagelin).

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
A transaction needs to be made for Avery to play for another NHL team. Avery needs to be on a NHL roster by 2/27 to be eligible for the playoffs. Which NHL team wants Avery another he made a spectacle of himself in CT? Suspended for dress code violation. If there is one guy who owns a suit,its Mr. Vogue. Healthy scratches. The Rangers were the only team which accepted Avery on loan last time. Dallas put him on re-entry. Perhaps Slats wants the other team to see Avery is worth taking a chance on re-entry. He isn't such a louse after all. The Rangers trade Avery and the acquiring team put him on re-entry.

Sean could void his contract and become a free agent closer to the deadline. Morris talks to other teams if they would be interested in signing Avery. He forfeits the remaining $4M or the Rangers send him home with pay.
I don't think he's going anywhere. Unless like you suggested before a trade for another player who we immediately can waive to hartford happens.

Avery will most likely unhappily collect his final paychecks as a Ranger. Hope for an NHL tryout with a team next year. If not he will retire I feel. Despite the fact he can still play in the league I don't think he wants to play in Europe.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Our five worst players have been replaced with either better talent (Richards) or harder workers (Rupp, Mitchell) or players with a a combination of both (Hagelin).
Not to get me wrong. I like Sean and hope he catches on with some other team if that's what he decides to do--and then hope he wouldn't come back and haunt us. I think he is still a legit NHL player. He just doesn't add enough to be one of our top 12 forwards and his contract is too high for his value--which is one of the major reasons other teams might be staying away.

Life goes on. He's more or less outlived his usefulness here--keeping in mind the Rangers are at least at this point in time one of the top teams in the league and it ain't easy keeping a spot on the team especially with such a demanding coach.

He did bring some pizzazz to the team--and at least pre-Tortorella era the Rangers needed that. His personality on and off the ice is apparently not for everyone but I think for the most part he was more than loyal enough to his teammates (witness his fight with Carcillo after the Gaborik hit) and he loves the city as well.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

So basically, if Sean's still in the AHL past 2/27 then we can assume he's just going to be sent home, no team will take him on if they can't use him for the playoffs considering he's an UFA at the end of this season.

So if Sather wants to put Avery on re-entry, and is worried about the potential dead space if he gets picked up (which I am now assuming won't happen until after the deadline), he'll have to put Sean on re-entry after he's done making moves, and before the deadline. Which in turn means that Sather may try and get some deals done earlier than we have expected.

OR

Sather ignores Avery and focuses on the Rangers at hand, making his decisions not based on when is the best time to deal with the Avery situation but on what's most important for the team.

I believe Sather will focus more on this option, and we'll see Avery sent home after the deadline when it is clear that no other NHL team wants to take a shot at him.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:45 PM
NYRMatt

Just passing off this beautiful work done by my friend Michael DeNicola from The Orange and Black Pack.

Lighten up the mood here.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post

Just passing off this beautiful work done by my friend Michael DeNicola from The Orange and Black Pack.

computer background

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 1050
"not coming: Tim Thomas" hahaha

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post

HA HA AWESOME

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote