HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

sellers or buyers at deadline

Old
01-25-2012, 01:15 AM
grits207

vCash: 500
I don't see any reason for the Leafs to box themselves in as one or the other. My hope is Burke will try to do a bit of both (ie. trade one or two forwards for picks then maybe try to package those + a D for a power forward).

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:27 AM
RunTheJuice

If you look at Burke's history with the leafs, we will likely do a bit of buying and a bit of selling....But no buying at the expense of core assets and no selling of core assets unless there is a better core asset in return. TBH I feel most comfortable with Burke in this position. He is the master of getting value for spare parts. (see Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardiner, Franson....etc).

Burke has been very forthcoming in his strategy, and I see no reason to suspect he will deviate....Won't sell the farm to make the playoffs for 1 year and get smoked.

RunTheJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:02 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't really see a reason to be buyers or sellers. We should be happy to make the playoffs this season, were not good enough to compete yet so being buying is also kind of pointless. We wont be sellers because we'll be competing all season. I say we keep everyone we have, this group is good enough for a playoff spot and that's enough this season.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:44 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I could see us selling on Grabovski, if Grabo decides not to come in at a price Burke is happy w/. If Mr. Crosbovski believes it's in his best interest to test the market, Burke will likely try to move him. Hope not, as I really like Grabo.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:43 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavaxa2 View Post
This statement is illogical. A cup winning team doesn't automatically win a trade just because the trade was made in the same year that they won a cup.
Absolutely it does. The goal of anything a GM does is to win the cup. When you make a trade that basically leads directly to the cup, you win it because it helped in accomplishing your ultimate goal. Nothing else matters.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
The big questions will come from what to do with Grabovski and Liles if they remain unsigned heading into the deadline.

Of course, team position may dictate what happens, but both are young enough and valuable enough to this team that they 'should' be re-signed. Lile's puck moving ability is more obvious to me then ever now that he's out of hte lineup, and if this team plans to be a quick strike offense they will need him. Same can be said for Grabovski. But both heading to free agency, and both likely falling into the 'higher end UFA's' to be had, will make an interesting situation for Burke.

Cap space will be an issue though as they need to re-sign (if they decide to that is) Kulemin, Franson, Aulie, Crabb, and Gustavsson.

So while there's the idea of being 'buyer/seller', it's not as simple as it may have been in years past (in terms of the direction).

Agreed. Burke has said publicly he isnt shopping Grabovski, but that doesnt mean he wont move him if he gets a great offer for him. Two things teams are always looking for in the playoffs is defencemen and secondary scoring. Grabovski would be a good fit for a contending team like Chicago who are looking for secondary scoring but not necessarily a long term financial commitment.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Grabowaffle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Absolutely it does. The goal of anything a GM does is to win the cup. When you make a trade that basically leads directly to the cup, you win it because it helped in accomplishing your ultimate goal. Nothing else matters.
Just like Kaberle helped the Bruins win the cup?

Grabowaffle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:17 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Stay on Topic!

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Also - to the OP - you lost me when you included Aulie and Schenn in your "sell for the future" rant. Seriously, lol.

Why are 90% of the posts here bandwagon, 'what have you done for me lately', flash over substance crap? Trading Schenn would be retarded - regardless how he's played this year. He 22!!!! D men (with 2 or 3 'generational' exceptions) take until their 25 / 26 to fully develop. Pronger took that long to really get his game together ...
You need to read a little bit closer. Nobody is dumping Luke Schenn. Its pretty much common knowledge we have some depth on the blueline and we desparately need a top six forward with a bit of size. If you are going to acquire that through a trade, then maybe Schenn is one of the few players on our roster who could fetch that type of player. Im sort of hoping we stay patient and keep all our youngsters, but if a team offers a top young forward around same age as Schenn....I may take a good look at it if I'm BB.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

A top center with size at the deadline or it's a FAIL once again by burkie. IMO He's afraid to pull the plug.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Leafs should make hockey trades which may include buying and selling.

The trades purpose should be to maneuver the team for ultimate success.

Maybe selling a defender opens a spot for a prospect.

Buying a vet allows a prospect to go back to the development league.

Everything should be within the plan and the plan is not making the playoffs it is winning the playoffs.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
A top center with size at the deadline or it's a FAIL once again by burkie. IMO He's afraid to pull the plug.
Fail once again?

How many top centre's with size are actually makde available at the deadline, and if they are, what is the cost?

Lets at least be realistic.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:26 AM
mpolo

Burke has said he wants more size up front. If the opportunity presents itself to land a top 3 forward with size, he _will_ make that deal and part with significant players to make it happen, (IMO).

mpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Leafs should make hockey trades which may include buying and selling.

The trades purpose should be to maneuver the team for ultimate success.

Maybe selling a defender opens a spot for a prospect.

Buying a vet allows a prospect to go back to the development league.

Everything should be within the plan and the plan is not making the playoffs it is winning the playoffs.
Completely agree.
You have to think there are some players on the roster BB would like to move to help free up some cap space and maybe open up spot for a youngster (Komi, McArthur, Lombardi come to mind), but we could also see a situation this year where BB may look to move some depth players for a more established player who can make a bigger impact.

In answer to the orgininal post...we'll be both buyers AND sellers this year.

Old
01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
darrylsittler27

Both seller and buyer...no?

I f someone offer us something for Komi,Lombardi,Macarthur,Armstrong we sell.If some one offers us a bonafide(very important in To.)#1 C,we buy.Depends how the wind blows I guess.But while I would be a seller,I have no doubt Burke is in playoff mode,too much is on the line now.It is playoffs or bust.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 01-25-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: P.s. I dont care what anyone says,it hurts wathcing Seguin develop.We were that close to our number one center.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
It's 100% relevant to the topic. Burke thinks this team will make the playoffs -- every year. Every year they miss. Burke needs to understand this team isn't ready to compete for the cup and needs to make moves based on long term -- NOT -- this year.

The point is plain and simple. Can't make you understand it any better than that.
And then....if they miss the playoffs, you can rail on Burke as a failure for not making them. As of right now, it looks like a 9 horse race for 8 spots. Why sell? The team is good, not good enough to win the cup and Burke knows that.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Fail once again?
"Fail" meaning he doesn't go out and make a sensible deal. He always backs out, thats how stubborn he is.

This is the time to improve the team immensely, try to go out and get some size and toughness. But I much prefer to get a centre who is big and can score. Get it done!

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
namttebih

I think that the only way that we should be "buyers" is if we are in a sense truely selling.

Meaning that if we are going to pick up a big name, I'm hoping that the trade is to a contender with a surplus of young forwards looking to cash in on our surplus of D-men.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebeid View Post
I think that the only way that we should be "buyers" is if we are in a sense truely selling.

Meaning that if we are going to pick up a big name, I'm hoping that the trade is to a contender with a surplus of young forwards looking to cash in on our surplus of D-men.
In other words: I don't want an old guy that wants to come here to die for a package of our prospects with the thought that we are going to make a run this year.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
last row purple

vCash: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buff View Post
I could see us selling on Grabovski, if Grabo decides not to come in at a price Burke is happy w/. If Mr. Crosbovski believes it's in his best interest to test the market, Burke will likely try to move him. Hope not, as I really like Grabo.
He would be the first guy I would move. Id try and ship him and a lower round pick (4th or 5th) for a 1st rounder from a contending team.
That would give us an extra piece that a re-building team will want, if Burke decides to try and land a big fish (Getzlaf, Stastny, etc...)
Schenn, a 1st and _____ for a big name guy.

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
DaveT83*

I feel like Trade deadline will be a bust for the leafs this year. Maybe a minor signing or two. Like Phillipe Dupuis for a 7th rounder ... I'm really hoping Burke can pull something off - but I think its a sellers market. and the asking price for the few available players will be too great to justify possibly missing the playoffs again.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Sundinftw

well burke said we'd be buyers..prolly a bit of both tho

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:36 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs