HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 draft review

Old
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
tomd

vCash: 500
Hickey will likely play in the NHL some day as a 5-6 PMD guy but probably not for LA

Having said that, as a #4 overall pick he has to be considered a MAJOR disappointment and that is why the "bust" status could be applied.

Terrible pick then...terrible pick now.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Hickey will likely play in the NHL some day as a 5-6 PMD guy but probably not for LA

Having said that, as a #4 overall pick he has to be considered a MAJOR disappointment and that is why the "bust" status could be applied.

Terrible pick then...terrible pick now.
We would probably be singing a different tune if we didn't tank again and end up with Doughty.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Obviously I threw Drewiskie in there for a laugh but Muzzin I would say is still ahead of Hickey on the Kings' depth chart, despite some setbacks of his own. I talked to one source who said he would rank Muzzin as the number two prospect in the entire organization. In rookie camp, he wore the C for the Kings' youngsters. His total game--offense, defense, competitiveness, size--seems closer to me personally as well. I think he got a little fat off his early success and had some little nagging stuff happen, but he will be in the NHL before long.
Perhaps, it's all opinion regarding Muzzin vs. Hickey. I have my opinion, you have yours, but really they are completely different players. The only reason I could see Muzzin full-time in the NHL before Hickey is if we have to replace Mitchell from within and the Kings want a like-minded player. Obviously Muzzin would be a better Mitchell clone than Hickey.

That said, I think if we do any sort of major or semi-major trade, one of these two is likely traded away so it might all be a mute point anyways.

Quote:
We can play qualifying numbers all day on other guys in the 06 and 07 classes but you look at the guys taken behind Hickey and most of them have at least a full season's worth of games under their belt and many of them have it uninterrupted (called up and not sent back down). The next four guys taken--Alzner, Ellerby, McDonagh and Shattenkirk--all have that many. Subban was a second rounder and he's put in over 100. There are also other guys teetering on bust status who have played some games even.
I leave Subban out of it because there was no way on draft day he'd have been selected in the first round. There's always guys who emerged from the 2nd and later rounds that should have been 1sts, but not fair to play hindsight and start comparing them IMO.

Comparisions to the other four, especially Alzner who was the expected first defenseman to be drafted, are more apt and I have no problem saying Hickey trails all four. As I said in my earlier post though, outside of Alzner and Shattenkirk, none are really lighting the world on fire.

Quote:
From 06, the top defenseman selected (as Hickey was) will finish this season with 300 games under his belt while guys like Fisher and Mitera are already basically busts.
The top defenseman in 2006 was also the 1st overall pick. Why compare Hickey to the 1st overall pick?

Quote:
The year AFTER Hickey's draft year, the first five D taken will all finish the season with 200+ games played and six of the first seven will (the only one who won't? Kings pick Colten Teubert). There are three more guys in the round that will be around 200 games, too, a little short in most cases but for sure two seasons worth of games.
Considering the 2006 and 2007 drafts aren't like that, perhaps it's fair to say the 2008 draft was an anomoly for defensemen? Especially when you consider the fact that four of them played at least half a season as an 18-year-old. When was the last time four defensemen were in the NHL regularly at 18? 2008 was a sepcial year for D, undeniable. Even go back and look at the 2005 draft. Only three defensemen have played 200 games in the NHL thus far. D-men typically take longer and rarely reach the NHL at 18.

Quote:
I think it is very fair to say that he is very far behind his peers at this point, and that some of the guys he's not behind have already been labeled busts. We are quibbling over a matter of degree here and there is no way either of us can prove we are right at this very moment.
Maybe. I just think lablling someone a bust implies he has no NHL future. I don't agree in regards to Hickey. Label him a disappointment or as someone who failed to live up to his draft status, sure no problems. But bust is far from accurate at this point IMO.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...king_forwards/

Not to pile on and bring this argument up again. BUT just wanted to point out that while one of the players discussed in this thread is playing key minutes in the AHL the other is currently in the ECHL... Draw your own conclusions from there.

Last edited by tigermask48: 01-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...king_forwards/

Not to pile on and bring this argument up again. BUT just wanted to point out that while one of the players discussed in this thread is playing key minutes in the AHL the other is currently in the ECHL... Draw your own conclusions from there.
Yep, and the one in the AHL is labelled the bust, not the ECHL one, which is what I had an issue with.

I think Hickey will still be a NHLer, just not 4th overall worthy. Disappointment, sure, not bust.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote