HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ice Skating/Hockey in or very close to NYC

Old
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
NYRangers09

vCash: 500
Ice Skating/Hockey in or very close to NYC

Hey Everyone,

So I'm 19 years old and just moved to NYC and have been trying really hard to get into ice skating with a friend of mine so that we can be good enough to join a beginners hockey league. We have been going to Chelsea Piers public skates for about a month now and are good/ok skaters but we constantly get yelled at for going too fast or being too reckless for a public skate. With like 100 little kids there at a time it is getting very difficult to push ourselves to try new things because we don't want to hurt anyone. Do you guys know of any better places to skate? We want to be able to really practice hockey skating and maybe even practice with a stick and puck on the ice?

Any info on what we could do or what some of you guys do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks boys

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm pretty sure Chelsea Piers has open hockey/ stick time. Call them up and find out the hours. Might need full equiptment.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'm pretty sure Chelsea Piers has open hockey/ stick time. Call them up and find out the hours. Might need full equiptment.
Yea we saw this but u need full equipment and she said its competitive so its not really a place to practice

Old
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Yea we saw this but u need full equipment and she said its competitive so its not really a place to practice
no place where they let you onto the ice with sticks and pucks will let you do so without equipment. Insurance rules. Its like that at every rink.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Baumer582

Quote:
If you want a beginner's league, Chelsea Piers has them.. They have around 7 different divisions, from beginner to former college/pro divisions. At least this was when I tried playing there 2 years ago.

Outside of the city you have Aviator in Brooklyn, the Staten Island Pavilion, and I'm sure plenty others in the surrounding areas.

It sounds like you're looking for pickup hockey though, so I would call either of those places and see what they have as far as open hockey goes. And yes, you will need equipment. Not just for insurance reasons, but for safety as well. Have you ever taken a puck to the shin or a stick to anywhere on your body? That hurts. Hockeymonkey.com has a good selection of affordable equipment.

Baumer582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I play at City Ice Pavilion in Long Island City, Queens. They have plenty of Open Hockey and Stick/Puck times. Nobody is going to hassle you at these if you're trying to get better. Most of the time people just practice skills, then maybe get a pickup game together if there's enough people. They also have leagues and learn-to-play programs for people of different skill levels. It's in Long Island City, so the transportation is pretty easy from Manhattan. Alot of the people on my team come from Manhattan. It's also cheaper than Chelsea Piers. I like it alot.

There's also World Ice Arena in Corona, which is in Central Queens. I've played there once or twice. Aviator is Brooklyn, but hard to get to if you don't have a car, and many of the players are Russian dudes who only pass to each other, in my experience. I think Long Beach also has a rink, but I've never been to it.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
also have abe stark out in coney island.. block away from the subway and right next to where the brooklyn cyclones play

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I play at City Ice Pavilion in Long Island City, Queens. They have plenty of Open Hockey and Stick/Puck times. Nobody is going to hassle you at these if you're trying to get better. Most of the time people just practice skills, then maybe get a pickup game together if there's enough people. They also have leagues and learn-to-play programs for people of different skill levels. It's in Long Island City, so the transportation is pretty easy from Manhattan. Alot of the people on my team come from Manhattan. It's also cheaper than Chelsea Piers. I like it alot.

There's also World Ice Arena in Corona, which is in Central Queens. I've played there once or twice. Aviator is Brooklyn, but hard to get to if you don't have a car, and many of the players are Russian dudes who only pass to each other, in my experience. I think Long Beach also has a rink, but I've never been to it.
The City Ice Pavilion seems like an awesome place with a lot of different skating options so I'm gonna go give that one a try. Thanks alot

Old
01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
The City Ice Pavilion seems like an awesome place with a lot of different skating options so I'm gonna go give that one a try. Thanks alot
As other people have said though, you're going to need equipment if you want to go to open hockey or stick/puck time. No rink is going to take on the liability that you get injured without proper equipment. Play It Again Sports is a good place to get used equipment, as well as Wesco Sports in Danbury, which is great if you have a car.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

Long beach was that way too when i used to play there. Those russians were the biggest a-holes i ever came across in open hockey. They thought they were the next Fedorov/Bure and would throw body checks if you showed them up in any way.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote