HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with new skates

Old
01-25-2012, 08:41 AM
doug5984

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Help with new skates

Hey guys, I need some help picking out new skates. I know the best thing is to go to the hockey shop, try them all on and find what works best- but I live in South Louisiana and the closest hockey shop I'm aware of is in Dallas more than a few hours away. I've only been playing ice hockey for a year so I need a little help...

Right now (and for the past year) I've been using the
CCM Vector U+ Pro Sr. Ice Hockey Skates '08

It's a very good skate, overall I'm pretty happy with it- except it is a little tight on the sides of my feet (I did bake it a couple times and it seemed to help but still not enough), some games it just hurts quite a bit. So I'm looking for something new (prefer something on clearance at like hockey monkey or somewhere)...
I'm not sure if CCM runs narrow, or if that is normal and I need something that runs a little wider.
I guess I need something a little wider than the CCM, or maybe not quite as stiff? Any recommendations?

Edit to add: The skate is tight on my foot before even tightening the laces, and if I leave the bottom pretty loose it helps a little, but still hurts my foot- they'll normally hurt on the outsides of my feet for the rest of the day /night

Last edited by doug5984: 01-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.
doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

you got a wide foot get bauers.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:31 AM
bp spec

The old U+ Pros are like that. A friend of mine hade them, and had the same problems as you. That skate is known as a failure, at least around my team. He uses reebok 11k now, and is happy with them. But hes thinking about getting the new U+'s. Maybe that's an option for you? Have you tried them on?

Any way, the best way for you to find skates that fits you the best is to try as many different brands and skates on as possible

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:33 AM
doug5984

That's what I used to wear when I played roller, just for comparison how are the Easton EQ5, I ask because they are pretty cheap on hockey monkey (179 + 15% off).

Old
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
you got a wide foot get bauers.
Wrong.
There are 3 Bauer lines, the Vapor is the narrow model with a narrow heel. Supreme is the wider boot with the rounder heel while the Nexus is the widest and deepest boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
The old U+ Pros are like that. A friend of mine hade them, and had the same problems as you. That skate is known as a failure, at least around my team. He uses reebok 11k now, and is happy with them. But hes thinking about getting the new U+'s. Maybe that's an option for you? Have you tried them on?

Any way, the best way for you to find skates that fits you the best is to try as many different brands and skates on as possible
Absolutely, to give you an idea of 'wide', the Supreme/Nexus boot, Reebok, current CCM and Easton Stealth can all fall into this category but even within them, they all fit differently.

The best advice is what bp spec said. Plan a trip to that shop in Dallas and try on different boots to see what fits the best. It is definitely going to be worth your time and money, if you look through the countless 'Help Me' skate threads here, the same is going to be echoed.

Frankly you can ignore what anyone else can recommend for you here; it's so repetitive and often ill-advised. Go to Dallas!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
doug5984

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Wrong.
There are 3 Bauer lines, the Vapor is the narrow model with a narrow heel. Supreme is the wider boot with the rounder heel while the Nexus is the widest and deepest boot.

Absolutely, to give you an idea of 'wide', the Supreme/Nexus boot, Reebok, current CCM and Easton Stealth can all fall into this category but even within them, they all fit differently.

The best advice is what bp spec said. Plan a trip to that shop in Dallas and try on different boots to see what fits the best. It is definitely going to be worth your time and money, if you look through the countless 'Help Me' skate threads here, the same is going to be echoed.

Frankly you can ignore what anyone else can recommend for you here; it's so repetitive and often ill-advised. Go to Dallas!
I kind of figured that would be the advice I get, I'd be ok spending more on a skate if I knew it fight right- so might just hold off until I can make that trip. Me and the wife have been thinking about heading to Dallas one weekend to catch a Stars game anyway, have never been to an NHL game before.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
I kind of figured that would be the advice I get, I'd be ok spending more on a skate if I knew it fight right- so might just hold off until I can make that trip. Me and the wife have been thinking about heading to Dallas one weekend to catch a Stars game anyway, have never been to an NHL game before.
That sounds awesome! I don't think the tickets there are even close to what we'd pay here in Toronto anyhow haha. So yeah, try them on and tell us which ones felt the best.

As a side note, although Vapors are a narrower skate, they do have them in a slightly wider EE width so it definitely is important again, to try a bunch on and to listen to the skate fitter if they know what they're doing.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote