HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers assign Hartikainen, Chorney and Paajarvi to OKC Barons

Old
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Namtsua

vCash: 457
Oilers assign Hartikainen, Chorney and Paajarvi to OKC Barons

As per OKC Barons twitter

Discuss!

Namtsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
OttawaOilFan

vCash: 500
Does this mean the Nuge and Barker will be back after the break?

What's Gilbert's timeline?

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Namtsua

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
Does this mean the Nuge and Barker will be back after the break?

What's Gilbert's timeline?
IIRC Barker has been skating with a no-contact jersey, the Nuge is skating with the team and Gilbert is supposed to be back after the All-Star Break!

Old
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Petrell made it! Petrell made it!

Harski needs to rediscover his physicality, read the game better, get faster... play more games in general.

Paajarvi needs to decide if he wants to be successful in the NHL.

Our defense is getting healthier, so Chorney got the axe.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Not shocking, OKC plays Friday/Saturday so you might as well give them some help.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
Good sign for Nuge and Gilbert.

Makes sense though. OKC still plays Jan 27,28. Might as well play while we're on break.

I liked Hartikainen and his physical foce. Paajarvi needs this ice time, badly.

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
oilers92

i thought mps had an alright game last night was hitting more and going into the corners and taking some contact still needs to drive the net instead of these 40 feet wrist shots with no traffic but other then that he looked better

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
Good sign for Nuge and Gilbert.

Makes sense though. OKC still plays Jan 27,28. Might as well play while we're on break.

I liked Hartikainen and his physical foce. Paajarvi needs this ice time, badly.
I don't think that these moves have to mean anything for those two guys. It is something that I suspect quite a few NHL teams will do. We are off for a week, so let the kids get the playing time instead of doing nothing.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Petrell made it! Petrell made it!

Harski needs to rediscover his physicality, read the game better, get faster... play more games in general.
I think too many games played is exactly what hurt Harski. With his first call up he was playing his fourth game in four nights and ended up playing again after only one day's rest. Essentially the same thing happened this last call up. It's actually pretty bad asset management and Harskli looked slow and tired because he WAS slow and tired. I bet he was looking forward to the week off, but this will definitely help OKC for the week. Next time we bring Harski back up, management should make sure he's not at the tail end of another marathon.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
I think too many games played is exactly what hurt Harski. With his first call up he was playing his fourth game in four nights and ended up playing again after only one day's rest. Essentially the same thing happened this last call up. It's actually pretty bad asset management and Harskli looked slow and tired because he WAS slow and tired. I bet he was looking forward to the week off, but this will definitely help OKC for the week. Next time we bring Harski back up, management should make sure he's not at the tail end of another marathon.
Young guys especially young Euro guys need to play alot. The he needs a week off thing is just so wrong. A day or 2 off then back at on Friday will do these guys a world of good rather then sitting around doing nothing.

They are not 30 year old vets you know they are 20 year olds who need to play

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
I can agree with the first call up, but this one he looked lost, lethargic, and like a pansy for the Sharks game.

If it was just back-to-backs....-to-backs, I'd chalk it up as such.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Psychoil

Clearly this means RNH is gonna be back after the all star break.

But im concerned about the line combos! Some sick, twisted part of me doesnt want to see the 3 kids together. I just feel they won't produce as much if they are. I like the idea of Ebs and Nuge again together and Hallsy with hemsky and gagner/horcoff. I'd rather spread the scoring out, and it reduces the chances of the entire "kid" line getting shut down if they do play together

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Truth Movement

Quote:
I can agree with the first call up, but this one he looked lost, lethargic, and like a pansy for the Sharks game.

If it was just back-to-backs....-to-backs, I'd chalk it up as such.
It is what it was. Harski played in OKC on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then in the NHL on Monday and Tuesday. Five games in six nights is a lot...too much...even for a young guy like Harski.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Clearly this means RNH is gonna be back after the all star break.

But im concerned about the line combos! Some sick, twisted part of me doesnt want to see the 3 kids together. I just feel they won't produce as much if they are. I like the idea of Ebs and Nuge again together and Hallsy with hemsky and gagner/horcoff. I'd rather spread the scoring out, and it reduces the chances of the entire "kid" line getting shut down if they do play together
I'd say that Hall's reckless style and Hemsky's chaos scheme in the offensive zones match up well together.

Smyth - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Lander - Horcoff - Jones
Hordichuk/Petrell - Belanger - Eager

That's how I'd run them. How I think it'll look:

Gagner - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Jones
Hordichuk - Lander - Petrell/Eager

Defense will be 5-77, 6-58, 25-44, 13-24

Old
01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Namtsua

I'd try this for the first game back, just to see how things work:

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Lander-Gagner-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Petrell

Last edited by Namtsua: 01-25-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I don't think Eager can play LW and RW at the same time
Old
01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
OilDrop37

Lander needs to go to OKC as well, not based on his play but rather to get acclimated to the Barons and be eligible to play in the playoffs with them.

We can finish the stretch with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger as our 4 centers.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Banny1089

Not surprised at all with PRV. Been watching his game lately, it seems as if he is timid to take the puck to the net. He plays purely on the perimeter. I know some people will disagree but when he is in okc, they should try him at centre. Maybe he will learn to stick his nose in.

Banny1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
dem

Paajarvi shouldn't be allowed back up this year.

The AHL shuffle has been a joke

Why is Lander not down there?

We are ruining prospects

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
It is what it was. Harski played in OKC on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then in the NHL on Monday and Tuesday. Five games in six nights is a lot...too much...even for a young guy like Harski.
You're not wrong, that is a ton of games in a short span.

I suppose we have this expectations for Harski and one-day rest on a plane ride is refreshing enough in our minds for the young Finn to go out there and show why we're so high on him. It didn't even seem like he had any adrenalin to run on when he got up to the show.

At any rate, he'll have a couple days off before two games back-to-back. No rest for the weary.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Paajarvi needs to decide if he wants to be successful in the NHL.
Come on man, I bet he works his ass off trying to improve his game and get past his short comings. I don't really know if it is your intention but I see that as a derogatory remark about his character which is not necessary. But maybe I misunderstood your intention with that comment.

I am happy they sent him down so that he gets a bit more room and time to work on his game. He sure needs it and I am sure he'll give it his all to try to get back up.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Paajarvi needs to be left down until at least the deadline. He needs to pot some goals, I'm thinking at least 5 before they even consider bringing him up.

01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Paajarvi shouldn't be allowed back up this year.

The AHL shuffle has been a joke

Why is Lander not down there?

We are ruining prospects
Really? Am I really the only one who's been completely impressed by Lander? He's played a very effective fourth-line role, been an excellent PKer and is a royal pain-in-the-ass for his opponents. He can play the big league game, so they're letting him.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Really? Am I really the only one who's been completely impressed by Lander? He's played a very effective fourth-line role, been an excellent PKer and is a royal pain-in-the-ass for his opponents. He can play the big league game, so they're letting him.
I see Lander as a bottom 6 player long-term, so I'm not exactly worried about ruining him by playing him in the NHL. He is getting this type of role and doing a decent job of it.

This isn't a PRV who should be playing a top 6 role, but is getting lessor minutes on the third line.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
I'd say that Hall's reckless style and Hemsky's chaos scheme in the offensive zones match up well together.

Smyth - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Lander - Horcoff - Jones
Hordichuk/Petrell - Belanger - Eager

That's how I'd run them. How I think it'll look:

Gagner - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Smyth - Belanger - Jones
Hordichuk - Lander - Petrell/Eager

Defense will be 5-77, 6-58, 25-44, 13-24
Everyone keeps complaining that Smyth looks like a tired old man. Well he is going to be if he's playing top line minutes + PK time. I dont like that line very much, and the second set you posted is better. I'd also put Eager in a permanent spot and switch out Petrell and Hordi.

Just my 2

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Nope, I'm sure there's a large number of people here who see the value in Lander. Personally, I've been pleasantly surprised by his discipline and overall play. For a young kid, he plays a 30 year old's game.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote