HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boycott the media ?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Tony Marinaro is the worst.
Totally wrong about that. There are A LOT of guys who are way worst based on the fact that they keep bashing AND have no real basis or real opinions by doing so. Marinaro base himself on some legitimate reasons even if we choose to agree or not.

I don't always agree with him, yet I find that he usually have solid opinions all over. I do not agree with him AT ALL on Cole that's for sure. But the guy is at least consequent. And again, he has some strong and usually pretty informative opinions on things. While you listen to Michel Villeneuve and it's bashing all over and totally empty. Like Réjean Tremblay.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Totally wrong about that. There are A LOT of guys who are way worst based on the fact that they keep bashing AND have no real basis or real opinions by doing so. Marinaro base himself on some legitimate reasons even if we choose to agree or not.

I don't always agree with him, yet I find that he usually have solid opinions all over. I do not agree with him AT ALL on Cole that's for sure. But the guy is at least consequent. And again, he has some strong and usually pretty informative opinions on things. While you listen to Michel Villeneuve and it's bashing all over and totally empty. Like Réjean Tremblay.
The guy, Marinaro, spent a 3 hours radio show bashing Latendresse because he took a power nap before a game.

PS for different reasons, Réjean Tremblay = Tony Marinaro.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Mr_Lyle

What most people don't realize about the media is, 95% of what they report is either total bullcrap, or completely irrelevant.

A while back, for a period of a little over a year, I only watched the games. I didn't get papers, didn't watch or listen to any pre-game or post-game shows, or visited any websites. Then, after about a year, I came on this board and saw like 4 threads of people being completely pissed about stuff that I've never heard of or had any impact whatsoever on the games I watched. Rumors, discussions, speculations made in the media, players getting into fights. Most of it stuff that either never happened, or made out to be much more serious than it was, or stuff that was said that simply ended up being false. Of course it ends up being nothing after the media dissects for a week none stop. None of it made any difference to me while I was watching the games. I'm sure that in that period, there must have been like 30 so called "scandals" that I knew nothing about and they had no impact on the team as far as I could see on TV. To me, it was like nothing happened. It was beautiful.

The The problem is, if you really want a media free hockey experience, you cannot visit this board. Everything anyone says in the media gets posted here within seconds and results in a 20 page discussion. This board is just like the media, except unlike the media who reach into our homes, no one other than the users actually care about it.

We discuss things here just like the media does, we're really no better. Just because we bash them doesn't mean we're somehow better than them. If you don't think so, go to the front page and read the topics. Half of them are complete bull. Speculations, rumors, reports. 95% of which are completely baseless.

Mr_Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
These media people are doing a job,most probably don't enjoy what they do.They will never be mistaken for journalism prowess have no fear of that,more likely as pranksters, teenagers that are bored.Certainly some of the headlines that emanate daily about the Montreal Canadiens can be attributed to imbeciles,you know the relative given a job nobody else wanted but it keeps them away from you.The editor has his hands tied and at least the paper won't be sued over their trashy little brainstorms.The media can be useful it's the people that are allowed free rein over whatever comes to their minds, be written, should be held responsible.The NHL can use some good press for a change, maybe they can hire a publicity manager that can spin a better yarn than the rubes that are ruining the NHL's image.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
What most people don't realize about the media is, 95% of what they report is either total bullcrap, or completely irrelevant.

A while back, for a period of a little over a year, I only watched the games. I didn't get papers, didn't watch or listen to any pre-game or post-game shows, or visited any websites. Then, after about a year, I came on this board and saw like 4 threads of people being completely pissed about stuff that I've never heard of or had any impact whatsoever on the games I watched. Rumors, discussions, speculations made in the media, players getting into fights. Most of it stuff that either never happened, or made out to be much more serious than it was, or stuff that was said that simply ended up being false. Of course it ends up being nothing after the media dissects for a week none stop. None of it made any difference to me while I was watching the games. I'm sure that in that period, there must have been like 30 so called "scandals" that I knew nothing about and they had no impact on the team as far as I could see on TV. To me, it was like nothing happened. It was beautiful.

The The problem is, if you really want a media free hockey experience, you cannot visit this board. Everything anyone says in the media gets posted here within seconds and results in a 20 page discussion. This board is just like the media, except unlike the media who reach into our homes, no one other than the users actually care about it.

We discuss things here just like the media does, we're really no better. Just because we bash them doesn't mean we're somehow better than them. If you don't think so, go to the front page and read the topics. Half of them are complete bull. Speculations, rumors, reports. 95% of which are completely baseless.

PS Tony Marinaro is the worst.

PPS WS agrees with me!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Kriss E

Unfortunately, most people enjoy the media, listen to them, and believe them.
People like to feel informed, especially about something that is important to them.

Look at how people react when PG doesn't give a press conference or updates on either plans/injuries. They go nuts.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Habitants

i love the quotes from PK and Carey today:

PK: "i have a great relationship with Randy and i would hate for you guys to ruin that.."

Carey:"..you guys bum rush me and i stepped on my skate.."

basically saying its your fault i missed public practice lmao

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Making millions doesn't mean you're not human. Heck, most of these guys are still KIDS. Media affects players. Media doesn't just report (gosh, I wish it was that simple), they give opinion and amplify. The media is not the main cause of the team's problems but they make the situation worse and harder for the team to get out of it.
The media are respecting the players life and intimacy. They are human and you're right, which is how the media treat them. You act like they're TMZ-ish toward them, it's not true, unless you read 25 Stanley, which is a garbage site.

Right now, the team is playing horrible, some players act like idiots. You think the journalists won't ask them questions? It's their job to do so. Hockey players are pro athlètes, it's part of their job to deal with the media. Montréal is a big market, they should expect a bigger media presence. If they don't like it, then they can gtfo.

Spacek said the Montreal is a media circus? Has he watched how the team is on the ice? A circus? Nah, a freak show. But hey, it's easy to complain about the media when everything is wrong with the team.

What I'm saying is, of course the bigger media exposure might not help the players in any way, but they aren't even 1% of what's wrong with the habs. If you want to find what's wrong, look at the management and the team.

That you hate a few people in the media, I can understand. I hate a few myself. But that you blame the media for the Habs trouble? Nope.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
MXD

Actually, just Francois Gagnon and Tony Marinaro.

No one really listens to the others.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Andy

Can we actually start like a site or raise awareness to boycott Gagnon and Marinaro? These guys make a living hating on certain players/people in management. Why not have a website defaming them. Catching them in contradictions and false stories?

We can hold them accountable and ruin whatever credibility they have.

We can start with the story of last night where Marinaro tweeted Lebrun said a Gm indicated that Subban was on the market confirming his story he reported a couple of weeks ago. Then Lebrun comes out and says that he never said that.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
gillyguzzler

You have a choice to listen to them or not.

I've tried to listen to Tony Marinaro but I just can't anymore. He is too arrogant and a know-it-all who doesn't know much. I just don't listen to him

If I turn on l'Antichambre, I know it's a circus and they are just clowns trying to entertain. However, if PJ Stock is there or Denis Gauthier, I simply change the channel.

I read MAG and Mathias Brunet as much as possible but ignore idiots like Todd and Rejaune.

I listen intently to Dany Dubé and Renaud Lavoie but turn the channel if Benny Brunet is hating on a few select players and drooling over le gros bonhomme Guillaume.

I now watch the games again on RDS because Marc Denis is actually insightful.

I used to watch Don Cherry for entertainment but he's lost it lately.

But the worst of all is Mike Milbury and it's a crime that my tax dollars go to pay him for his hate and nonsense.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:21 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
The media are respecting the players life and intimacy. They are human and you're right, which is how the media treat them. You act like they're TMZ-ish toward them, it's not true, unless you read 25 Stanley, which is a garbage site.

Right now, the team is playing horrible, some players act like idiots. You think the journalists won't ask them questions? It's their job to do so. Hockey players are pro athlètes, it's part of their job to deal with the media. Montréal is a big market, they should expect a bigger media presence. If they don't like it, then they can gtfo.

Spacek said the Montreal is a media circus? Has he watched how the team is on the ice? A circus? Nah, a freak show. But hey, it's easy to complain about the media when everything is wrong with the team.

What I'm saying is, of course the bigger media exposure might not help the players in any way, but they aren't even 1% of what's wrong with the habs. If you want to find what's wrong, look at the management and the team.

That you hate a few people in the media, I can understand. I hate a few myself. But that you blame the media for the Habs trouble? Nope.
You mean like the Hammer Mafia reports?
Media respects one thing, the dollar bill.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
groovejuice

Its hilarious when the voice of reason has to come from the Toronto media.

On Hockey Central, John Shannon addressed the yelling incident at practice.
He called it insignificant and went on to compliment PK on his mature responses to media questions.

He also added that PK should remain a Hab for many years.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Can we actually start like a site or raise awareness to boycott Gagnon and Marinaro? These guys make a living hating on certain players/people in management. Why not have a website defaming them. Catching them in contradictions and false stories?

We can hold them accountable and ruin whatever credibility they have.

We can start with the story of last night where Marinaro tweeted Lebrun said a Gm indicated that Subban was on the market confirming his story he reported a couple of weeks ago. Then Lebrun comes out and says that he never said that.
It's simple really. We could do this on this site even and have it be successful. We just need a "Call The Media Out" sticky or thread that is kept up to date. Possibly a mod or very active member could update the OP. Basically the thread would only be there for the purpose of posting media peoples contradictions, only facts not speculation. (i.e.: So and so said this on such and such a date, confirmed by several people. So and so wrote this on his blog on such and such a date, screen capped for evidence, etc)

Then you show where they contradict themselves, make up lies, etc.

If we can get enough people doing this on HF then surely a site would be a viable option.

We should call it "The Anti-Anti-Chambre"

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I know it sucks to hear some of what they write, ex trading Subban, but at the same time, there are reason why they do what they do, and aren't the ones really making decision.

Also like him or not, the thing I think everyone should appreciates about PG is that he doesn't care what the media thinks, he does what he thinks what is right for the team, which we agree with that is another thing, but he clearly doesn't give a crap about the media.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post

Okay, I guess the story about the Kostitsyn's and Hammer being arrested at the airport for being customers of a known cocaine trafficker was only on 25stanley

If you think this is the one example, hate to break it to you but it happens on a daily basis that media people make up lies about the players, contradict themselves and even outright go out of their way to drive players out of town. You think Gagnon has the habs best interests at heart? No. He has his own best interests at heart. He doesn't care if this team fails, he's a Sens fan. All these media guys are a ****ing joke. I do admit it wouldn't be as big an issue if we were winning and management is to blame more than anybody, but saying they're 1% of the problem isn't true.

When you have media people without any credible evidence trying to say three players on your team (big shock, euro players!) are doing blow and affiliating themselves with a big time coke dealer due to drug related reasons... that isn't just a problem on the scale of 1%.

What happens off the ice can affect the product on the ice. These guys don't give a flying rats ass about our team, they only care about making up new stories. Tony and Francois (the frankenstein wannabe) are a big part of the problem with our media.

In Quebec media types have zero accountability for what they do or say. If you don't think that's a problem then I really don't know what to tell you. We could easily make a thread today and if kept open and a few good posters kept posting, we would have a damn treasure chest filled to the brim with contradictions, lies, etc by the end of the month let alone if we did it for a season.

Like I was saying to Andy we should start a thread (or HF affiliated site) that basically copy/paste things they've said, has date/time stamps, screen shots even so they can't delete/deny having said it, and proof of contradiction below where we show that they said the total opposite a mere week before.

It happens all the time. Just look at Jack "I always knew Carey was the best" Todd.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Okay, I guess the story about the Kostitsyn's and Hammer being arrested at the airport for being customers of a known cocaine trafficker was only on 25stanley

If you think this is the one example, hate to break it to you but it happens on a daily basis that media people make up lies about the players, contradict themselves and even outright go out of their way to drive players out of town. You think Gagnon has the habs best interests at heart? No. He has his own best interests at heart. He doesn't care if this team fails, he's a Sens fan. All these media guys are a ****ing joke. I do admit it wouldn't be as big an issue if we were winning and management is to blame more than anybody, but saying they're 1% of the problem isn't true.

When you have media people without any credible evidence trying to say three players on your team (big shock, euro players!) are doing blow and affiliating themselves with a big time coke dealer due to drug related reasons... that isn't just a problem on the scale of 1%.

What happens off the ice can affect the product on the ice. These guys don't give a flying rats ass about our team, they only care about making up new stories. Tony and Francois (the frankenstein wannabe) are a big part of the problem with our media.

In Quebec media types have zero accountability for what they do or say. If you don't think that's a problem then I really don't know what to tell you. We could easily make a thread today and if kept open and a few good posters kept posting, we would have a damn treasure chest filled to the brim with contradictions, lies, etc by the end of the month let alone if we did it for a season.

Like I was saying to Andy we should start a thread (or HF affiliated site) that basically copy/paste things they've said, has date/time stamps, screen shots even so they can't delete/deny having said it, and proof of contradiction below where we show that they said the total opposite a mere week before.

It happens all the time. Just look at Jack "I always knew Carey was the best" Todd.
OK Neofury, i vote you to start the sticky thread !!!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Its hilarious when the voice of reason has to come from the Toronto media.

On Hockey Central, John Shannon addressed the yelling incident at practice.
He called it insignificant and went on to compliment PK on his mature responses to media questions.

He also added that PK should remain a Hab for many years.
The only media/fans I ever see giving PK credit outside of Montreal are in Toronto, probably because he's a Toronto kid and they recognize his abilities rather than hating on him due to bias. They may be bias in his favor, but at least they aren't blindly hating the guy.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
OK Neofury, i vote you to start the sticky thread !!!
I'll contribute if a mod/quality poster makes the thread, that or maybe if somebody else wants to make the website, but half the time I can't even edit a post so I'm not a solid choice for this.

That having been said, only a mod can sticky a thread and I believe we already have too many. Wouldn't be difficult to keep the thread up there though, with how the media is it would be fairly easy to keep active with out doing bumps. I mean after all they say so many stupid things on a routine basis it would easily stay active

If it gets big enough we could probably make a small website where you can browse by the media personality or by date, just a simple blog. Make these idiots have some accountability for what they say if it got enough views.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

You want to boycott media?
Stop watching TV.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

meh, it took a dew sseconds, no more, for someone to create a thread here (and elsewhere) about Randy/Subban yesterday...

reality is, as much as you bash them, they do exactly what you want them to, report EVERYTHING Habs related...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
You want to boycott media?
Stop watching TV.
I don't want to boycott, just an accountability thread to show just how shady these ass clowns are.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Charkey

And you know whats funny about Francois Gagnon, he's a Ottawa Senator fan boy. I saw him in a bar in gatineau and ask hm about his team, that when he sais im not even a habs fan, i'm a Sen fan.
Go figure
But coming to the boycott, lets all boycott shows he appears on, like Anti chambre whem he's on, lets not watch it and watch le match or whatever your choice is.

Charkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:44 AM
habtastic

thing is, I don't fund them in any way aside from watching the games on RDS and visiting a site for the usual buffoonery of Francois Gagnon or Jack Todd.

PK! PK! PK!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
You mean like the Hammer Mafia reports?
Media respects one thing, the dollar bill.
Hammer and both Kost bros had contacts with a drug dealer who got arrested, you think it won't make the news? Of course it will. They also got cleared, the media moved on. What's so horrible and disrespectful?

Quote:
When they were approached by the cops, it wasn't a simply paparazzi-like story, it was news-worthy. Not sure why people blame the media for covering that story...

Quote:
You think Gagnon has the habs best interests at heart? No. He has his own best interests at heart. He doesn't care if this team fails, he's a Sens fan. All these media guys are a ****ing joke. I do admit it wouldn't be as big an issue if we were winning and management is to blame more than anybody, but saying they're 1% of the problem isn't true.
Why would he have the habs best interest at heart? He isn't paid by them, he is paid to share is opinions about the habs, not to pat on their back. Who cares if he's a sens, oilers, coyotes or blue jackets fan, it is irrelevant. If you don't like what he says, don't read him, it's that simple. You don't have to agree with the media all the time. Some agree with him some don't. It's the same with Réjean Tremblay.

Quote:

You're right, I mean, some of them are dumb people who like to talk **** and contradict themselves on a daily basis. You know who they are. But it doesn't matter, they have no power over how the team performs. No matter how bad they bash the habs.

Last edited by Seb: 01-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote