HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Lada Togliatti selects - D Earl Seibert

10 straight seasons as either first (4) or second (6) team All Star, 3 other placements (7th in voting twice, 3rd in alternate voting for right defense once)
2 top 4 Hart trophy finishes

Last edited by DaveG: 01-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
On a side not. One PM should suffice when it's my turn I dont need three PMs from three GMs. It's clogging up my inbox.
Sorry about that, I think it should be acknowledged in the post that the manager on the clock has been notified.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
It's interesting that the Vancouver Millionaires traded out of the top 39 so 40 was their first pick. I don't know if anyone has done this before, and if so, how they did. Someone please enlighten me.
I believe jarek/Boy Wonder's first pick was around 60 last year. What did he end up, top 16 I think?

Old
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
It's interesting that the Vancouver Millionaires traded out of the top 39 so 40 was their first pick. I don't know if anyone has done this before, and if so, how they did. Someone please enlighten me.
I traded down to late 2nd last time. Did average.

01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
5 of last 7 picks were defensemen...safe to say there's a bit of a run. I could see it lasting a few more picks too.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The big issue with Cleghorn is that he would sometimes put personal grudges ahead of helping his team.

That said, Jagr-Cleghorn is an awfully good start for a team.
and he could be goaded into penalties relatively easily.

clancy said cleghorn was sneaky in his dirty plays, but there is also the risk of a full meltdown.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
You really need that sleep you were talking about.
oh, I'm well aware you'll never convince Sawchuk-lovers of anything

Old
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Sorry about that, I think it should be acknowledged in the post that the manager on the clock has been notified.
No need to apologise, I just have little space left in my inbox so I felt I should speak up about it.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
and he could be goaded into penalties relatively easily.

clancy said cleghorn was sneaky in his dirty plays, but there is also the risk of a full meltdown.
Do I see a GM being realistic about the flaws of their player?

naaah, couldn't be

Old
01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dawson City selects Chris Pronger, D.

Made the mistake last year of holding off for way too long to select a top d-man (which means I essentially never got one )

This year.....things are different!

01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Made the mistake last year of holding off for way too long to select a top d-man (which means I essentially never got one )

Old
01-25-2012, 12:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I knew Brad Park was great all round and great on the PP, but I never realized how good His offensive peak was. In 1973-74, he finished 9th in overall scoring in the league, and he did it the hard way - by leading the 2nd best offense in the league in scoring.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Don't worry Mad, if Pronger was there I was planning on taking him anyway. Would have served you right for stealing Mario from me

Old
01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
5 of last 7 picks were defensemen...safe to say there's a bit of a run. I could see it lasting a few more picks too.
Quite possibly. I had a gameplan of dman pick in one of the first two rounds as is though. Not sure how many others had similar in mind but I'm sure a few.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I knew Brad Park was great all round and great on the PP, but I never realized how good His offensive peak was. In 1973-74, he finished 9th in overall scoring in the league, and he did it the hard way - by leading the 2nd best offense in the league in scoring.
that's pretty much as honest an offensive season as you're gonna find.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Quite possibly. I had a gameplan of dman pick in one of the first two rounds as is though. Not sure how many others had similar in mind but I'm sure a few.
The traditional "ATD formula" is to pick a defenseman by the end of the second round. I avoided the formula last time and lost in the Semifinal in Game 7 (despite screwing up my second line), and EB won ATD12 without following the formula, so it's not like you have to stick to that formula to win... Though after much thought I did stick to it this time myself.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

With the plethora of quality defensemen available at this point of the draft, it almost makes sense to draft a forward in the first round, but then again it doesn't because they get picked so fast!

Old
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Also an idea for this thread, let's keep the pointless posts to a minimum. Discussing picks is one thing, but asking where people are after ten mins, etc will be deleted. We're pace for about 20 threads right now.
Thank you. I wanted to mention this myself, but I felt it was something much more suitable for a moderator to bring up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- No problem with Hasek 14th at all... but Chaos and dwight sure have to be happy getting Roy and Plante when they did... particularly when an inferior goalie was taken in-between.
You bet I am. I usually dislike starting off with a goalie because, as Sturminator said in the last thread, you can get a solid goalie in later rounds, but I couldn't turn away from Plante when he was available at 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
With Clancy out, I've decided to go in a different direction and take a forward who is both an offensive and physical force. With the 46th overall pick, the Chicago Shamrocks select Bill Cook, RW
Was deciding between Horton and Cook with my last pick. Went with Horton because I knew D-Men would start going fast. Cook's a guy I've always wanted to have on my ream though - great pick.

Quote:
Our second round pick will be the exact same player I drafted last year at the exact same spot (#48).

Another one of my favourites - one of the reasons I started watching hockey in the first place, and a former #1 D-Man on an old ATD team of mine. This is where he should go, IMO.

Quote:
Lada Togliatti selects - D Earl Seibert

Another good one. This was the first "unknown" player I ever drafted in my ATD career. Hard to believe he was my 2nd defenseman on that team (after Bourque).

Old
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I had a good offer to trade down and get better depth in the top 100. I didn't like the way it shaped up when my first rounder rolled around at #25, lol.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Here's a link to a great bio Dreakmur did on Bill Cook two years ago. I may add to it later, but this has a ton of great information. When someone is described as having a style similar to Gordie Howe's you have to be happy.

Bill Cook bio

EDIT: One important fact that is not included in the bio: Bill Cook was Captain of the New York Rangers for 11 years (1926-27 to 1936-37), a time in which they won 2 Stanley Cups and made 5 Finals

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 01-25-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Bit of a question on Seibert that came up with the All Star voting results I looked into for him. He's listed for both right defense and left defense on his all star selections and consistently recieved votes for both sides. Is that evidence that he played either side as necessary, or is that going too far in extrapolating something that might not actually be there?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bit of a question on Seibert that came up with the All Star voting results I looked into for him. He's listed for both right defense and left defense on his all star selections and consistently recieved votes for both sides. Is that evidence that he played either side as necessary, or is that going too far in extrapolating something that might not actually be there?
I would have to know vote totals. Consistently getting votes for both sides probably just means the voters were confused, which is why they abolished the difference and just started doing all dmen together in the 40s.

If he actually WON both RD and LD in different years, that might be something.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

I love Chris as a player and all the stuff that he brings, but I don't think he was BDA.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I love Chris as a player and all the stuff that he brings, but I don't think he was BDA.
Arguably the 2nd best defenceman in the NHL over a 12-13 year span. Forget arguably actually....the 2nd best defenceman in the NHL over a 12-13 year span.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Arguably the 2nd best defenceman in the NHL over a 12-13 year span. Forget arguably actually....the 2nd best defenceman in the NHL over a 12-13 year span.
Only if you are required to look at the whole span. Given that two defensemen a year get 1st team all-stars, 1 1st team and 3 2nd team all-stars hardly seems like the second best d-man...

(For the record I have nothing against the pick and was kind of hoping he'd be available for my pick. Just arguing against an oversell.)

Closed Thread