HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boycott the media ?

Old
01-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
Blaming the media is the silliest thing.

It's part of the market. Every sport franchises of the Habs' importance deal with the same thing. It's part of their GM's job, part of why they are earning their salaries. They have to handle the media, shelter the players, control the flow of information and most of all, not let them influence any decisions taken.

If you aren't happy with the product on the ice and think the media has anything to do with it, what you should be complaining about is management.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Hammer and both Kost bros had contacts with a drug dealer who got arrested, you think it won't make the news? Of course it will. They also got cleared, the media moved on. What's so horrible and disrespectful?

When they were approached by the cops, it wasn't a simply paparazzi-like story, it was news-worthy. Not sure why people blame the media for covering that story...

Why would he have the habs best interest at heart? He isn't paid by them, he is paid to share is opinions about the habs, not to pat on their back. Who cares if he's a sens, oilers, coyotes or blue jackets fan, it is irrelevant. If you don't like what he says, don't read him, it's that simple. You don't have to agree with the media all the time. Some agree with him some don't. It's the same with Réjean Tremblay.
Making assumptions, especially when they are criminal related, is extremely disrespectful and dishonest. Do players have to do background checks now when they meet someone and take their number to avoid media scrutiny?
Media feeds of assumptions and sensationalism to keep them dollars come in. Long due overhaul in media model, they are being outclassed by ****** comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Blaming the media is the silliest thing.

It's part of the market. Every sport franchises of the Habs' importance deal with the same thing. It's part of their GM's job, part of why they are earning their salaries. They have to handle the media, shelter the players, control the flow of information and most of all, not let them influence any decisions taken.

If you aren't happy with the product on the ice and think the media has anything to do with it, what you should be complaining about is management.
Personally i blame media in general for being incompetent, and using dubious tactics to sell, and quality of media is on a constant downhill.

Not to mention that the montreal sports media is always being commented on by players/coaches and fans in general. I don't see how it does not have an impact on day to day life of fans/players/management/owners.
It's to bipolar, and only floats on the extremes, positive or negatives. We would all benifit from more balanced media coverage, and not only in sports. But that's wishful thinking.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
In Quebec media types have zero accountability for what they do or say. If you don't think that's a problem then I really don't know what to tell you. We could easily make a thread today and if kept open and a few good posters kept posting, we would have a damn treasure chest filled to the brim with contradictions, lies, etc by the end of the month let alone if we did it for a season.
You've never turned on some American "news" channels have you?

Quebec's media are generally MUCH more professional and respectful than south of the border. That's far from an issue here.

(and I do not mean that as a slight against our American friends in no way)

Old
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

the Habs are great, anyone who disagrees must be censored.
If they can't be censored they should be silenced.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Not to mention that the montreal sports media is always being commented on by players/coaches and fans in general. I don't see how it does not have an impact on day to day life of fans/players/management/owners.
It's to bipolar, and only floats on the extremes, positive or negatives. We would all benifit from more balanced media coverage, and not only in sports. But that's wishful thinking.
That's something almost every public personality has to deal with. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Has nothing to do with that, go troll somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
That's something almost every public personality has to deal with. Let's not blow this out of proportion.
Yes and some personalities have to deal with it more in certain areas. And if montreal media is giving alot more to 'deal with' then other medias, then players will be influenced if they will play here or not, because they can choose to 'deal with' alot less somewhere else. So no i don't think it's out of proportion to say that media, and Montreal media has negative effect on the subjects they "report" on and should be criticized by people who want players NOT to have to factor in the local media as variable.

Last edited by uiCk: 01-25-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Has nothing to do with that, go troll somewhere else.
Do tell, what is a thread about boycotting media until they "support our habs" all about?

Censorship and the naivety of youth.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Making assumptions, especially when they are criminal related, is extremely disrespectful and dishonest. Do players have to do background checks now when they meet someone and take their number to avoid media scrutiny?
Media feeds of assumptions and sensationalism to keep them dollars come in. Long due overhaul in media model, they are being outclassed by ****** comments.
They're pro athletes, public figures. They simply can't afford to have such bad links. Just like José Théodore and his links.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Do tell, what is a thread about boycotting media until they "support our habs" all about?

This, and your previous post gave me a chuckle.

Freedom of press means that journalists get to investigate something you may or may not agree with and columnists get to give their opinion whether you agree or not with them.

Exercice your own freedom of speech. Write those you disagree with. Or exercice your rights as a consummer and don't buy the product.

But a good part of the media is already sucking up to the Habs (or is indirectly OWNED by the Habs!) so boycotting some media just because they aren't doing the same is silly.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
axman88

Actually, the best thing for the team is to make a policy...no interviewing players at all during the season ....is that allowed?

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Habs Junkie

The problem is not the media as a whole, but more certain media members that follow the team who have proved over and over again that they have other agendas. When the Habs lose they come out with a story blaming everything fueling rage among the common fans. When the Habs win they say nothing, or make something else up that is negative about the team. Just use this weekend as an example: Habs beat leafs yet PK getting yelled at is the main story come monday morning.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

Well i don't know what people in this thread really mean by boycotting the media. i have been "boycotting" the media for a while now, as in i dont buy the gazette or la presse, or have cable TV, or watch any of clown shows that deal with the habs BECAUSE the quality stinks, and the alternatives are much better. Just taking HF boards, i get better information on here, then i would ever get RDS/TSN etc. Analytical information, i'm not talking about factual information, because that will be the same , no matter who acts as the "media" in delivering it.
Again, it has nothing to do with what their stance is, i rather they not have a stance, and transmit information that way, then having a stance and reporting information biased by that initial stance.

The same way people demand a better product of the Habs, i demand a better product of the Media. Considering the extensive influence the media still has on peoples daily lives, i think it's a damn priority.

Last edited by uiCk: 01-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Way to go AHMB.

The media are terrible in montreal, they're old dinosaurs who are entrenched in and want everything to go their way. They only started hating on Gauthier because he lied to them and avoided them a lot - until then they had nothing but respect for Gainey/Gauthier/Martin.

I think they really turned after the Markov injury/surgery secret in California.

**** them. Gagnon, Marinara, Stubbs, Engels - no matter where or what they all suck. We know more about hockey (well most of us... ) than they do.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Joe Cole

If any game is available on another network, I avoid RDS.

If it is on RDS, and I watch it live, I do not watch the pointless pre-game, skip the between period, and turn the channel as soon as the last whistle is blown.

If I record it, I fast forward everything but the gameplay.

I stopped all post game Habs TV (Anti-Chambre et autres)/ talk radio/pre-game stuff last season, and in all honesty it improved my appreciation for the games. Much less frustrating. So I guess I already boycotted Montreal "sports journalism" to a large extent.

Besides the game, the only things I still do is watch NHL network for highlights, listen to Melnick when I drive home, and come to this website.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
Actually, the best thing for the team is to make a policy...no interviewing players at all during the season ....is that allowed?
Not going to happen. The Canadiens organization want the players and team to be in the media as much as possible. That's what makes the team so popular, and that's what allows them to make so much money with tickets, merchandise, luxury boxes, TV rights, sponsorship deals, advertising in the Bell Centre, and so on. NHL teams in markets where hockey is not as popular as here would love to have the kind of media attention the Canadiens have, even when it's controversial. Any publicity is good publicity when it comes to professional sports. Molson didn't buy the team to win, they bought it to make money.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Pleky Roks

The media that only publishes negative media about the Habs with no truth to it what so ever should be boycotted!!! There is too much negative press surrounding the Habs for no reason...its time to stop supporting the media that doesn't support the good of the Habs!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

Its one thing to disagree with the Habs and not like them....it is totally another thing when the press makes up false rumours and false speculation surround the team and its players and management for the purpose of selling papers!!!

Nobody has to be a fan of the Habs...but the press should have to publish truthful news!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
The media are respecting the players life and intimacy. They are human and you're right, which is how the media treat them. You act like they're TMZ-ish toward them, it's not true, unless you read 25 Stanley, which is a garbage site.

Right now, the team is playing horrible, some players act like idiots. You think the journalists won't ask them questions? It's their job to do so. Hockey players are pro athlètes, it's part of their job to deal with the media. Montréal is a big market, they should expect a bigger media presence. If they don't like it, then they can gtfo.

Spacek said the Montreal is a media circus? Has he watched how the team is on the ice? A circus? Nah, a freak show. But hey, it's easy to complain about the media when everything is wrong with the team.

What I'm saying is, of course the bigger media exposure might not help the players in any way, but they aren't even 1% of what's wrong with the habs. If you want to find what's wrong, look at the management and the team.

That you hate a few people in the media, I can understand. I hate a few myself. But that you blame the media for the Habs trouble? Nope.
Agreed. Although some media like Rejeaune makes me want to punch the ozone layer.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote