HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators @ Chicago Blackhawks (one more win)

Old
01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
if I had that option every game, id probably pick the other teams feed the majority of the time. it gets really old hearing the same drivel.. other team's fans seem to like pete & terry.. maybe we just listen to them too much *shrugs*
I think thats it... those of us who watch every game get tired of the same old schtick.

they are apparently great for new fans and/or casual fans.

Im sure if the ratings start to tank the team will consider a change, but if the ratings are good and he doesnt say or do something unforgivable, he isnt going anywhere

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Probably the only good thing about working 10 hour shifts. Out before the traffic, back home after its over. I hate football season though, our street becomes their turn in.

Keeping it about hockey, anyone else channel game 5 with the PP? My stomach dropped when we lost possession.
I did when Kane had the puck. then I realized marty wasn't out there.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:21 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
Crispy is awful. When are they going to get rid of the guy? He is so negative and repeats the same crap game after game.

I switched over to the Hawks announcers tonight. Couldn't stand it any more.
maybe we are still making the mistakes that makes him crazy-soft passes out of the d-zone, too cute at times, etc.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I don't understand everyone's hatred towards Crispy. Maybe I'm blinded with gold colored glasses, but I think the guy is one the better and more entertaining color commentators in hockey. Yes, he can be negative and whatnot, but remember he was a coach....a stanley cup winning coach. It is just in his nature.

Anyways, great way to lead into the allstar break!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:23 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I don't understand everyone's hatred towards Crispy. Maybe I'm blinded with gold colored glasses, but I think the guy is one the better and more entertaining color commentators in hockey. Yes, he can be negative and whatnot, but remember he was a coach....a stanley cup winning coach. It is just in his nature.

Anyways, great way to lead into the allstar break!

I like Terry. I don't think he's too negative. He does say the same things over and over again, but those are the crucial mistakes that cause teams to lose games.

Last night was a great example. He went on and on about the lateral pass during the power play. Three times we tried the the lateral pass during the PP and three times it resulted in a turnover/clear.

If you're paying attention he also comes up with some hilarious one-liners on occasion.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
if I had that option every game, id probably pick the other teams feed the majority of the time. it gets really old hearing the same drivel.. other team's fans seem to like pete & terry.. maybe we just listen to them too much *shrugs*
Honestly, I watch quite a bit of hockey, and Pete & Terry are up there in terms of quality. There are much much worse options available.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I like Terry. I don't think he's too negative. He does say the same things over and over again, but those are the crucial mistakes that cause teams to lose games.

Last night was a great example. He went on and on about the lateral pass during the power play. Three times we tried the the lateral pass during the PP and three times it resulted in a turnover/clear.

If you're paying attention he also comes up with some hilarious one-liners on occasion.

Crispy loves to have it both ways ... if the play doesn't work it should never, ever be tried but when it works it's the most brilliant play ever.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Honestly, I watch quite a bit of hockey, and Pete & Terry are up there in terms of quality. There are much much worse options available.
I think its alot like having a girlfriend... you get tired of the same one ..

I prefer a different perspective I guess.. I do think pete is top notch.. just crispy distracts him sometimes

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Crispy loves to have it both ways ... if the play doesn't work it should never, ever be tried but when it works it's the most brilliant play ever.
Well, that's true everywhere. The fake field goal that gets blown up is stupid. The one that doesn't is a brilliant call.

Still, what's the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I'm OK with trying one of those long lateral passes on the PP every now and then - every once in a while they work. But the third after the first two got picked off? Not so much.

What I'd FAR rather see though is us just shooting the puck more. Good things will happen. Yes, a lot times the shot will just get blocked and lead to a clear, but I'd rather it be cleared as a result of a shot, rather than us passing it around the perimeter and then turning it over for a clear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm ecstatic with our our PP this year. Who wouldn't be? I just don't understand why after the 5th pass, someone doesn't say, "Ok, we're wasting time here. Let's shoot it and see what happens." At least if Craig Smith rotates back, he fires that sucker.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Well, that's true everywhere. The fake field goal that gets blown up is stupid. The one that doesn't is a brilliant call.

Still, what's the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I'm OK with trying one of those long lateral passes on the PP every now and then - every once in a while they work. But the third after the first two got picked off? Not so much.

What I'd FAR rather see though is us just shooting the puck more. Good things will happen. Yes, a lot times the shot will just get blocked and lead to a clear, but I'd rather it be cleared as a result of a shot, rather than us passing it around the perimeter and then turning it over for a clear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm ecstatic with our our PP this year. Who wouldn't be? I just don't understand why after the 5th pass, someone doesn't say, "Ok, we're wasting time here. Let's shoot it and see what happens." At least if Craig Smith rotates back, he fires that sucker.
The lateral pass across the box on the PP is a very common play for most, if not all, teams. Crispy has gotten to the point where he rants most of the time ... often at plays that don't fit the point he's trying to make ... and offers little to no insight for anyone who has watched more than a few games. The generic points he makes are predictable and simplistic anymore. He's occasionally funny, but, his frames of reference as both a coach and player are extremely dated.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Saying that the lateral pass should only be utilized on the PP occasionally because it gets broken up so often is like saying that teams should stop shooting as much if the other team is blocking a lot of shots. The entire point is to keep trying until it works because it's such an effective play when it does work.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
glenngineer

Pete and Terry are fine. All announcing teams have their good and bad points. Listen to a Columbus feed sometime, awful. I had to listen to the Chicago team and sometimes they were spot on and other times they were homers. They did have some great things to say about the Preds and that we're a tough team to play against and that we bring it every night. I hear that on most broadcasts so we must be doing something right.

BTW, I thought we dominated them until they got their PP goal. Once that happened, the momentum shifted obviously but we held on and fought our way to a win. That's all you can hope for on the road and on the back end of a back to back. One of 4 teams in the league with 30+ wins. Just another thing to ponder.

I also can't help but wonder, while we don't have the elite talent up front, what team in the NHL boasts 4 lines that can score? Smith and Halischuk the last two games are giving us additional production. If we're able to roll 4 lines like this, we're going to be awfully hard to beat.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Pred303

a few observations, from a pretty amazed pred fan;

..currently on a 107 point pace. wow, who woulda thunk it?
..14 of the 18 skaters last night were 27 or younger. 8 under 24.
..youngest team in the league and we're where we are.
..we're so hot and healthy overall, you hate to see the week break.

..toots,hornqvist,kostitsyn scare you to death trying to get the puck out of the zone along the boards.
..only 8 minutes for hillen-ellis. really 'protecting' them on the road against good teams.
..erat the most dangerous skater on ice last night. yet with nothing to show for it.
..we generated about 3 or 4 true two on ones last night, and got nothing from any.

..don't tell me we're not getting a little into chi and stl's head right now with our success against them.
..stunning that a team this young has been so good on the road. that rarely happens.
..three posts that so easily could have put this one away early.
..defensively, we are finding our roles.

..the most 'exciting' thing about this team, is that you never know where the points/goals will come from. could be any shift, almost any player that scores next.
..this 'unconventional' scoring balance is one of the reasons we've been so successful on the road. it negates the largest home ice advantage of being able to put your best defensive players out against the best offensive players.

..i find it harder to listen to crisp/weber every game. crisp talked like we were getting beaten by 5 all night.
..weber's 'elbowing call' was a joke at the worst possible time. home ice reffing advantage demonstrated at it's worse.

..with rinne, our good defensmen, our good defensive centers and our defensive posture, we are a mighty tough team to beat when we score 3.
..josi, klein playing some great hockey right now. a little shakey sometimes clearing the zone, but good hockey.
..when the puck gets on suter's stick, you feel confident.
..hornqvist is an 'unconventional' player. not a good passer, yet sometimes he makes great plays. not a great even strength top 6 forward, but hard to not play him there because he tends to make plays once or twice a game after not looking good other shifts.

..another goal from our '4th' line. 2 guys with more than 10 goals. never had that before here, ever. sometimes i wonder if we were deep enough to push a guy like spaling down to center them what would happen.
..yip is trying hard. cost us in the faceoff dot sitting smithson, but didn't mind the effort.

have to simply sit back and enjoy what's happening right now. the only good thing about the break is it lets you savor this win streak a few extra days without worrying about the next one.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
good to hear from you again, bud...

gonna be some crazy ride these next few months..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Saying that the lateral pass should only be utilized on the PP occasionally because it gets broken up so often is like saying that teams should stop shooting as much if the other team is blocking a lot of shots. The entire point is to keep trying until it works because it's such an effective play when it does work.
Well, I'll buy that logic, but the other option is to do something different and see if THAT works better.

But as I said, I'm nothing but ecstatic with the power play this year, so my grousing is mainly just hollow frustration.

Old
01-25-2012, 07:56 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Well, I'll buy that logic, but the other option is to do something different and see if THAT works better.

But as I said, I'm nothing but ecstatic with the power play this year, so my grousing is mainly just hollow frustration.
Versatility has been key to the PP this season. I've a couple of comments from the players that we have more options this year. When the opponents take away Weber's shot, our guys on the wings are making plays underneath the defense covering the point -- the cross ice passes have been very successful. When the defense collapses down to take away plays underneath, it leaves Weber and now Ellis room. On the PP that we are talking about, the guys tried option #1 three times in a row, instead of letter Weber blast away from the point. Probably should have let Weber fire away after the first two passes were broken up.

It's hard to say anything bad about the PP given that it's second in the league. Bear in mind also that Lambert is away from the bench after his emergency appendectomy. Isn't he the PP coach?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:13 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure all three coaches are taking responsibility for the PP

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
..the most 'exciting' thing about this team, is that you never know where the points/goals will come from. could be any shift, almost any player that scores next.
..this 'unconventional' scoring balance is one of the reasons we've been so successful on the road. it negates the largest home ice advantage of being able to put your best defensive players out against the best offensive players.
This is what has really struck me about the team's play the last two months. Balanced lines, scoring threat from any trio iced out there. A coach's nightmare, since you never know how to matchup against them any given night. A scoring hydra where another head continually pops up.

The stability on the bottom D pairings also plays into this balance. Could all fall apart tomorrow, but I think lots of Western Conf. coaches must be having nightmares about a 4 game series vs this Preds team, the way they are playing right now.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote