HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers assign Hartikainen, Chorney and Paajarvi to OKC Barons

Old
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Ragss

vCash: 500
I'm a huge Harski fan, but man has he been useless this year with the Oil. While last season his entire game was the down low, physical game, this season he's spent all of 10 seconds with the puck in the corner.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Koto

why not lander as well...? ugh

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Eytinge

Leave Paajarvi down there for the rest of the year. For his own good.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I like the idea of Renney using AHL call-ups to force guys like Eager and Hordichuk to perform, wish it would extend to Belanger and Horcoff (never happen with Horc, I know).

PRV should be down for the remainder of the year.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Nope, I'm sure there's a large number of people here who see the value in Lander. Personally, I've been pleasantly surprised by his discipline and overall play. For a young kid, he plays a 30 year old's game.
The issue with Lander is not his 3rd/4th line play, he's very disciplined defensively and plays a good overall game. I'm a supporter of sending him down simply because I see potential beyond that style of play. He's relatively smart with the puck and has an offensive upside that needs honing with top 6 minutes in the AHL. The point is to make him eventually excel at the NHL level, not simply impress by getting by at a young age. My opinion anyways.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Digger12

Earlier in the year I would've been annoyed with it, but for today I'm OK with MPS being sent down to the minors for a while.

For someone 6'2" and 205 pounds, he gets pushed off the puck WAY too easily. Is that due to a lack of strength, or a lack of courage?

Frankly, he should be embarrassed that Eberle, who's at least 4 inches shorter and 10-15 pounds lighter than him, is much harder on the puck.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yeah wow MPS has looked even worse since coming back up. Keep him in the minors for the remainder of the year and let him play with Omark once he is back.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Come on man, I bet he works his ass off trying to improve his game and get past his short comings. I don't really know if it is your intention but I see that as a derogatory remark about his character which is not necessary. But maybe I misunderstood your intention with that comment.

I am happy they sent him down so that he gets a bit more room and time to work on his game. He sure needs it and I am sure he'll give it his all to try to get back up.
He's not playing to stick in the NHL. What I like from this call up is he's picking better places to shot and looks more dangerous from those spots. But he's still not attacking the net with regularity. It'll be good to get more minutes in bigger situations down in OKC, and hopefully Omark will spark his offensive when he gets back.

What is absolutely infuriating about his game is that he refuses to follow through and finish his checks. This isn't freeze tag, you don't help your team letting up and touching opposing players. He skates towards them and then bails out. In his exit interview he talked about getting stronger and using his size more and being a more physical player. He gave a glowing review of Landeskog's play and how physical he is. He has all these tools, even more so than Landeskog, but he's not willing to play that game. When the offense isn't coming you have to pursue it a different way and put on the hardhat and grab your lunch pail and go to work.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah wow MPS has looked even worse since coming back up. Keep him in the minors for the remainder of the year and let him play with Omark once he is back.
He's had very rough year. Anyone notice how we had "the big 3" (Hall, Eberle, MPS) last year, and instead of becoming "the big 4" (+ RNH) for this season, Paajarvi kind of got the shaft because of his poor play, and "the big 3" now comprise of Hall, Eberle and RNH. Paajarvi has got to find some confidence down there and hopefully he will become the player everyone imagined he could.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
What is absolutely infuriating about his game is that he refuses to follow through and finish his checks. This isn't freeze tag, you don't help your team letting up and touching opposing players. He skates towards them and then bails out. In his exit interview he talked about getting stronger and using his size more and being a more physical player. He gave a glowing review of Landeskog's play and how physical he is. He has all these tools, even more so than Landeskog, but he's not willing to play that game. When the offense isn't coming you have to pursue it a different way and put on the hardhat and grab your lunch pail and go to work.
Yeah even Sam's dad will tell you that.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Everyone keeps complaining that Smyth looks like a tired old man. Well he is going to be if he's playing top line minutes + PK time. I dont like that line very much, and the second set you posted is better. I'd also put Eager in a permanent spot and switch out Petrell and Hordi.

Just my 2¢
If Smyth plays ES with RNH and Eberle (13:00 is what RNH and Ebs average at ES), PK (2:00 is what 94 averages), and 2ndary PP (little less than Smyth's 3:00 right now), that's about 18 minutes. 2 minutes less than what he's playing.

Frankly, I'd let Jones, Belanger, Petrell, and Lander play a bit more on the PK and shave his PK minutes a bit.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't think these assignments really mean anything. The Oilers don't play again for a week, and Paajarvi hasn't been getting much icetime. I'm thinking this is probably just to keep the guys playing more than anything.

If RNH and Barker are able to come back after the break, then they don't have to assign them, and if they aren't then I'm sure we'll see some of these guys back. Paajarvi is likely to be recalled after the Barons game on the 28th regardless.

01-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't think these assignments really mean anything. The Oilers don't play again for a week, and Paajarvi hasn't been getting much icetime. I'm thinking this is probably just to keep the guys playing more than anything.

If RNH and Barker are able to come back after the break, then they don't have to assign them, and if they aren't then I'm sure we'll see some of these guys back. Paajarvi is likely to be recalled after the Barons game on the 28th regardless.
I hope not. He's been terrible.

Honestly Petrell should have been in the line up last night over PRV.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
SometimesY

Didn't Hartikainen just return from an injury, play a bunch of games and then get called up, the first time?

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
lakai17

vCash: 0
Lander should be a lock on our bottom 6 and Paajarvi is a top 6 forward but not today, let Paajarvi play on the 1st line for OKC for the rest of the season.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Lander should be a lock on our bottom 6 and Paajarvi is a top 6 forward but not today, let Paajarvi play on the 1st line for OKC for the rest of the season.
I would love to see PRV - Lander - Omark as a line for a deep OKC playoff run. I imagine there is a deadline to send Lander down for this.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
I would love to see PRV - Lander - Omark as a line for a deep OKC playoff run. I imagine there is a deadline to send Lander down for this.
No Lander could be sent down at the end of our season if we wanted to. This was the same with MPS last year, he could have been sent down but wasn't since he played the entire year with the Oilers. Omark was sent down because he had played some games with them.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:01 PM
SChan*

Quote:
wtf, paajarvi has been getting 2nd line minutes last few games.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Lander needs to go to OKC as well, not based on his play but rather to get acclimated to the Barons and be eligible to play in the playoffs with them.

We can finish the stretch with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger as our 4 centers.
I agree. Presently, I don't think Lander is an NHL player. He's got 5 pts in 45 games. He's defensively sound but outside of that doesn't bring much of anything.....yet. I think he might be a decent player, but he's not there yet.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Horseradish

Too many of you guys are seeing Jesus in the tea leaves.

Personally, I think this is a move by the organization to keep rookies busy and helping the organization while the vets get some rest.

Don't think it has anything to do with who is almost ready or anything to do with the post ASG lineup at all, actually. I'm sure at least one or two call-ups will be on their way back up here in a week's time.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:17 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
wtf, paajarvi has been getting 2nd line minutes last few games.
7 forwards played more than Paajarvi last night, and he didn't have much more than Hartikainen. He had almost 2 minutes less than that the night before and 4 minutes less two games earlier. He's averaging 12:46 a game, which is 10th on the team. The only players to average less icetime than him are the two goons (Eager/Hordichuk) and two rookies (Petrell/Lander).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
frag2

Quote:

Too bad when you give him ice time, he still won't make anything of it. Zero improvement since call up. Dude needs to play the game like he has a pair

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
SChan*

Quote:
7 forwards played more than Paajarvi last night, and he didn't have much more than Hartikainen. He had almost 2 minutes less than that the night before and 4 minutes less two games earlier. He's averaging 12:46 a game, which is 10th on the team. The only players to average less icetime than him are the two goons (Eager/Hordichuk) and two rookies (Petrell/Lander).
too many excuses for this guy. He has 4 assists on the year and some people defend his ice-time. You earn your icetime.

btw he played 16 minutes last night, not exactly bad.

meanwhile mattuew perrault scored a hattrick on 12 minutes of ice time.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I hope not. He's been terrible.

Honestly Petrell should have been in the line up last night over PRV.
PRV did more for me than Hartikanen.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
PRV did more for me than Hartikanen.
Selecting between PRV and Harti is like picking between table salt and sea salt.