HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone have trouble fitting pants because of hockey?

Old
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Don't go skin tight, but go with a straight fit jean. Relaxed straight, if necessary. I find Lee Regular fit fits me pretty well.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:49 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Yes, I have this problem. I've had it most of my teen/adult life, probably from tons of skating all my life, but when I played college hockey and did really extensive leg press/squat routines as part of my training, it got out of control. I now have a really hard time finding jeans that fit. In fact, I just had a few suits tailored and I had to have a 36" taken in to a 32" waist so that the seat and thighs would be more accommodating. I'm a 30-32" waist but if I buy 32s it means they're going to be skin tight on my butt and thighs, which looks ridiculous. Tailoring my suits I can stomach, but I'm not exactly "baller" enough to start getting custom made/tailored jeans. It's a real problem.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hockey aside I have really wide shoulders and have to get tapered/slim fit/tailored shirts, even though I'm 30 pounds overweight. Never had issues with my legs though...then again I've only just started squatting last month and am only up to 130. Once I hit 300 or so I'll probably be able to join the club

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Nick the Viking

Here's the answer to all the problems boys: costco jeans.

They're like $17 and they have a bit of stretch in them - so they may look a bit tight, depending on your build, but they feel and fit great.

I finally wore out a pair after pretty much only rotating through 3 pairs over 2 years.

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
MD Moose

It's good to know there are others in this same boat, but I was also hoping to hear some solutions. Doesn't appear to be much out there other than wear sweatpants, which isn't always possible. I would think there would be some company come along and market to this. I know Gongshow does hockey clothing, but I don't think they really do pants do they?

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Ozz

Loose straight cut jeans are the style I end up buying. Various labels make varying fits, of course, so I'd say try some out to see which is best.

I'm currently sitting in some American Living brand which I got at JC Penney on closeout for under $10. They're the tightest size 36 I've got as far as the waist goes, but the thigh areas are large enough to fit my tree trunks. I can get away without wearing a belt with them. By contrast, any other pants sized 36 requires a belt or they'll fall right down.

I have some others that I got years ago which fit OK in the legs but are HUGE on the waist, despite also being a size 36. Then there's some size 34s I have which fit nicely on the waist and still have plenty of room for my legs.

As I said earlier I tend to have no trouble finding dress pants to fit my legs, it's just a matter of whether or not I can find them in a waist size that also fits. I probably have a 50/50 mix of size 34/36 in those, and some 36s fit more tightly than the 34

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Looks like Gongshow Hockey read this thread.

From their Facebook page -
Quote:
This Fall, Gongshow will present the first ever Jeans made for a hockey player - "The Beauty Fit" jeans will be wider in the legs and a touch bigger in the ass to help fit us hockey players with our jacked quads and unreal back sides. Stay tuned for a more in depth look at these gems, but here is a sneak peak. Thank you for allowing us to continue to innovate and tailor the world to accommodate all us hockey players just a little bit better. GSH

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Larger back sides and roomier thighs? Sounds like women's pants to me

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
JasonTodd
Rookie User

Just found this thread after a frustrating shopping trip. For work, Banana Republic's Dawson cut chinos seem to work well. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make their relaxed cut for the other fashion-forward pants.
For shorts, Lululemon makes ones cut for hockey butt. They have extra room and some stretch. Not cheap, but nice fit.
Eager to hear more ideas.

JasonTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Same problem. Waste is a 32 but I buy 34 or 36 relaxed fit or even straight and take them to my local cleaners to get the waste cut and the length shortened a bit. Costs me like an extra 8 bucks for every "nice" pair of pants I own.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:53 PM
PaperworkNinja

Try LL Bean's jeans and khakis. They have a good selection of relaxed fit and some of their "natural fit" stuff works well for those of us who don't have big butts and thighs but are, uh, mighty-thewed. Carhartt and Duluth Trading are also pretty good for jeans. The downside: they're expensive. The upside, they last for a long time.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:34 PM
nullterm

So it might not be the cheeseburgers? DQ celebration time.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
PaperworkNinja

It's not always just the cheeseburgers, but a little moderation might be in order.

Limit yourself to two, three shakes at most per meal.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
qmechanic

You guys might enjoy this ESPN note that a Yale women's hockey player wrote.

Quote:
You see, I wasn't ready to stop playing, but what venue was left for female athletes that I hadn't already exhausted? I'd played soccer, ice hockey, and lacrosse for my high school team, competing in New England championships and nationals numerous times. From there I played Division I ice hockey and lacrosse in college. I'd participated in just about every sport I could get my hands on. Most impressively, I'd gained a reputation for having the largest "hockey ass" most of my teammates had ever seen. Was I really going to let it atrophy just so that I could wear normal jeans again?

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
TUCKER 06

I've notice the Quads and the ass starting to get a lot larger lately lol.

But on the plus side, the gut, lovehandles and waste size are slimming down quite nicely.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
jrham
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
I know this may seem an odd question, and I assume most, if not all, in this forum play hockey, but does anyone have trouble with the fit of your pants because of hockey?

What I mean is, from playing hockey and training involved, you generally get stronger thigh and butt, hence they get bigger. Without any waist size getting bigger but merely thigh and butt area I've been having trouble with the fit of pants being too tight. But then going to a larger waist size then makes them loose in that area. It seems like the cut of most clothes out there are made for people that are not athetic. Having a terrible time finding clothes with the right fit.
* A little late, but I have had major issues finding jeans since late highschool. Not a hockey player (Big Ten track and field Sprinter). Needless to say, I have a 28" waist and need pants with 26" leg width because of drills and squats.

I tried on 25 pairs of pants today and finally came across the Buckle Store. The people there were great and found a perfect pair for me, sits on my hips, boot cut, loose fit on the quads. Check out the BKE line of jeans. $75 bucks...but may be worth it. http://www.buckle.com/mens/jeans/brand:bke-vintage+bke

Good Luck!

-Jake

jrham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 03:50 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
You can't if you have a job, and there are quite a few people who would rather not look like utter slobs regardless of workplace standards.
I just buy like... super nice sweat pants.

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 09:35 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
I too have hockey butt.. even worse, it's goalie butt, so it's extra big. I have really good luck at Old Navy.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 10:02 PM
TBIF

Shorts, all season long.

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote