HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #47 @ Jets

Old
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
bogans

vCash: 500
I can't even say how many terrible losses I remember, particularly in the confines of The World's Most Famous Arena at the hands of this franchise (granted they were the Thrashers back then rather than the Jets, but virtually the same team). They always seemed to come at a time when the team was running pretty good and ready to propagate a winning streak or finish a good run of games and then, BOOM, let down to a bad hockey club. These are the games that this team is no longer overlooking.

GREAT WIN to go into the break with the top winning percentage in the NHL!!!

This teams' effort is to be applauded.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Tumsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Number 1 defense in league
Not that it matters a whole lot, but the Blues have a slightly lower GA/A than the Rangers. In the standings, SO losses count as a GA, and the blues have 6 of them.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
McMonster

This was the most complete effort I've seen from them in a long time... Solid, smart hockey for all 60 minutes.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If you mean no better than he was last year, you may be right. However, he's not been anywhere near that player since he's come back and that has got me excited.

He will get better down the stretch and will be in mid season form come the PO's which is going to help the Rangers out a whole lote.

Offensively, you're right. 25+ points from Staal annually is probably what we cna and should expect.

But his ability to play the role of elite shut down defenceman from the 3rd pair is somethimg that majority to teams do not have.
Good post. I would agree with you that the more games he plays, the better his play should get.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
This was the most complete effort I've seen from them in a long time... Solid, smart hockey for all 60 minutes.
-8 for our PP

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Just curious why you would think that a 25 year old would be done improving his overall game?

And since when is being a top-pairing defenseman simply a "is what he is"? First of all, one need not be a 50 point scoring defenseman to be considered a top-pairing defenseman. Simply being "defensive" is just fine. And how many NHLers stop do not get better at their craft after the ripe old age of 25?
Nothing personal, it's just a gut feeling I have with Staal because his skating and balance are not the greatest and he has a tendency to overthink situations which in the past has lead to turnovers. Offensively, he has pretty much maxed out because he doesn't have a real good feel for that part of the game especially as it relates to his pinches which have been disastrous in his short career. Look, the general consensus on this board is that "I hate Marc Staal" and I pick on him incessantly. The truth is I've always considered him an excellent defensive defenseman who, when healthy is a valuable player for us.

As a longtime Rangers fan, I want what everybody else wants and that is that Savior gives Torts the best team possible in order for us to make a legitimate run this year because with the cba set to expire on sept.15th, we don't know what the future holds!

Old
01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Nothing personal, it's just a gut feeling I have with Staal because his skating and balance are not the greatest and he has a tendency to overthink situations which in the past has lead to turnovers. Offensively, he has pretty much maxed out because he doesn't have a real good feel for that part of the game especially as it relates to his pinches which have been disastrous in his short career. Look, the general consensus on this board is that "I hate Marc Staal" and I pick on him incessantly. The truth is I've always considered him an excellent defensive defenseman who, when healthy is a valuable player for us.

As a longtime Rangers fan, I want what everybody else wants and that is that Savior gives Torts the best team possible in order for us to make a legitimate run this year because with the cba set to expire on sept.15th, we don't know what the future holds!
Honestly, Staal had an awful game. He managed to cause 2 2 on 1's IN THE SAME SHIFT

Hopefully, he'll pick it up a bit. As for his offense, at the end of last season both he and Torts thought he hadn't hit his potential on that end of the ice, so let's wait and see. Defensemen take a notoriously long time to fully develop. Hell, look at what we're getting out of Stralman.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Nothing personal, it's just a gut feeling I have with Staal because his skating and balance are not the greatest and he has a tendency to overthink situations which in the past has lead to turnovers. Offensively, he has pretty much maxed out because he doesn't have a real good feel for that part of the game especially as it relates to his pinches which have been disastrous in his short career.
Again though, one need not be a great offensive player to be a top-pairing defenseman. And it is very hard to imagine that a 25 year old cannot improve his game. Saying that "he is what he is at this point" makes it sound like you are talking about Dale Purinton, instead of a top-pairing d-man.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Am i blind, or is there no poll?

Lundqvist, Gabby, Cally all had great games.

Gabby could have easily had 3 primary assists from great passing from behind the net.

Honestly though, vs a good team, that was a lose. I didnt think we played well very stretches of that game. Thankfully the Jets were worse.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
Am i blind, or is there no poll?

Lundqvist, Gabby, Cally all had great games.

Gabby could have easily had 3 primary assists from great passing from behind the net.

Honestly though, vs a good team, that was a lose. I didnt think we played well very stretches of that game. Thankfully the Jets were worse.
That was a win even against a good team. This was a complete effort game from start to end.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Lundqvist, Cally, Gabby are my 3 stars. Good win to get us in to the All Star break on a bit of a streak.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
That was a win even against a good team. This was a complete effort game from start to end.
That definitely was not a win vs a good team. We played a bad team who is 0-7 in back to back games.

A good team would have beat us.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
That definitely was not a win vs a good team. We played a bad team who is 0-7 in back to back games.

I mean it would have been a good win even against a good team. Not saying the Jets are a good team at the moment.

And to each his own.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
gluvhand

Assuming they would've lost playing a "good" team doesn't make sense. They, in all likelyhood, would not have played the same game against a "good" team. They are doing what they need to do win games against alot of different styles of teams. What we saw last night was what was needed against THESE Jets.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I feel it's even more impressive for the Rangers to be ranked higher than the Bruins considering the strength of our division

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
egelband

staal's going nowhere. silly notion. first of all, his value's low now. and second, he's a key ranger. great defensive defenseman who - last i saw - was developing his offensive game. this past year has been a big setback but i see no reason why he doesn't get back to where he was and go way further. he's a major asset and has a good contract.

dubinsky too. the guy hasn't scored much this year but he has been making a mark. not consistently, but i have seen flashes.

like the team in general, they're developing and the sky's the limit.

also, winnipeg was bringing it yesterday. very physical and the rangers held their ground. i was impressed with both teams. i did think the jets were a bit reckless at times, which made me cringe. but regardless, the rangers played a 'hard' game. super way to end the first half...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
egelband

Quote:

totally disagree. the rangers didn't bring a ton of flair, but they stymied a rough and ready, hungry team, looking to make noise. smothered them. methodically. the jets reminded me of the isles. they treated this game like a playoff match.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

Maybe you should check out the hyperbole in the sentences before then, if you are curious to why you have that reputation. His skating and balance, while not elite, are both above average and not a hindrance on his game. His "tendency to over-think" occurs way less often than you make it out to be. Somehow his pinches are "disastrous", yet he's almost always the guy back when odd-man rushes occur with him on the ice. What you call "not a good feel" I call focusing elsewhere. The times that he decides to turn to the offensive side of the game, he's often brilliant. He just doesn't think in those terms most of the time because he's not focused on it.

Do the negative things you talk about happen? Sure they do. But they happen to every player, including Chara, Weber, Doughty, Keith, etc etc etc. The problem seems to be that you think that everyone else think he's infallible, when that's not even remotely true.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

Last year he was credited with 31 turnovers in 77 games.

So far this year, McDonagh has been credited with 29 turnovers in 47 games, meaning he's on pace for more than Staal had last season. Girardi had more than Staal last season, too.

I don't know where you came up with this idea that Staal turns the puck over a lot, because it isn't true.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Again though, one need not be a great offensive player to be a top-pairing defenseman. And it is very hard to imagine that a 25 year old cannot improve his game. Saying that "he is what he is at this point" makes it sound like you are talking about Dale Purinton, instead of a top-pairing d-man.
Dale Purinton? Not exactly the best comparison. Again, this is just a gut feeling of mine. There is a distinct possibility that I could end up being wrong about Staal.

Old
01-26-2012, 07:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Dale Purinton? Not exactly the best comparison.
No, but when someone uses "he is what he is", that has a tone of resignation and not a phrase that is often used with top-flight defensemen.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Dale Purinton? Not exactly the best comparison. Again, this is just a gut feeling of mine. There is a distinct possibility that I could end up being wrong about Staal.
You already are wrong. He's a top pair defenseman recovering from a very serious injury. Of course he doesn't look like his usual self yet.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I feel it's even more impressive for the Rangers to be ranked higher than the Bruins considering the strength of our division
Are you considering that the Flyers and Penguins have both dealt with major injuries this season? IMO, the Rangers would not be in first place if Crosby was healthy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Are you considering that the Flyers and Penguins have both dealt with major injuries this season? IMO, the Rangers would not be in first place if Crosby was healthy.
Or we might've been 10 points ahead of the pack if Staal was healthy all season.

What if's don't mean jack. We're in first. The end.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Or we might've been 10 points ahead of the pack if Staal was healthy all season.

What if's don't mean jack. We're in first. The end.
Exactly. We went all the way to January 1 without Staal and we lost Sauer as well. Then Eminger got hurt. Our D has taken a beating this season. Maybe our players are just better at stepping up than other teams. Del Zotto proving to be a solid 2nd pairing guy is why we are where we are. What if DZ had another terrible season, what if, what if. All 3 teams have gone thru injuries, we just have the best record. End of story. I'm sick of hearing about what if.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote