HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Won't be easy replacing Carle if he leaves

Old
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
hmmm... I like big d-man. Is there any scouting reports on him. I saw his stats and stuff just nothing in the means of scouting.
Not surprisingly, his role model is Zdeno Chara. Though from what I've read, scouts think Sustr is less of a project than Chara at this point in their respective developments. I haven't been able to find any thorough scouting reports on him, but if you type his name into Google you'll be able to read an assortment of articles and whatnot. I know there was a thread about Sustr on the Senators HF board, and I'm going to try to see if any of the scouts I'm in contact with can hook me up with more information/opinions about him.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
phlocky

If the Flyers try and sign Suter on July 1st then we will most definitely lose Carle no matter how the suter negotiations go. If we want to even try for Suter then there is just no way we can sign Carle early because if Pronger DOES play next year then we will really be screwed if we also have both Carle and Suter. If Carle ISN'T signed by July 1st then there will most definitely be teams lining up to throw 5 mil + at him over 5-6 years. That's a number we just shouldn't match (honestly, if we don't offer him a contract BEFORE July 1st then he'll take a deal from another team on July 1st and we will be left out in the cold).

We have to make a decision here. Lets say we sign Carle now and Pronger can't play again. Is the defense we have right now adequate to win the cup??? Probably not. Thus, I just can't see us offering Carle a contract before July 1st so I think we are going to lose him.

I think that is Suter isn't signed early then we'll trade a 1st or 2nd for his rights to get early negotiating rights. If we can't sign Suter then there are other dmen out there (Hanan amoung the ones I'd target) but ultimately, NOBODY outside of Suter (not even Carle) is the type of cornerstone dman that we need to be the leader on our blueline for us to be able to win the cup.

I am one of the biggest supporters of Carle but I just can't see any reason the resign him. We NEED an upgrade over him. We just can't resign him out of fear that our defense COULD be worse without him because even WITH him it's just not good enough. IF we let Carle walk and we DON'T get Suter then I think we turn over the reigns to the young guns (Gustafsson, MAB and Marshall) and see what we have. There will be opportunities to trade for a defensive upgrade if we need during the season next year.

As much as I'd LOVE to have both Carle and Suter signed for our top pairing (Suter and Carle together would be one of the best top pairings in the league IMO) I just can't see that happening.

Personally, I'd LOVE to trade Carle right now to Minny for their 1st. Then I'd bring in two pending UFA dmen (like Gill and Gleason for example) who while not as good as Carle, adding two of them and removing Carle would actually make our defensie better as a whole. The cost to aquire these guys wouldn't be anything more than a 2nd and/or prospect.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Give Carle 3 mil per for 2 years. Then when he's a lot better in two years he can get a real contract.
That will not happen. If we can sign him between 4 and 4.5 go for it(If he is to be kept). Otherwise he must be moved by the deadline. He hits the market, he will be making big bucks.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:19 PM
rban*

Hmm. I see 4 to 4.5 mil, not a penny more. John Michael Lilles signed for 4 yrs less than 4 mil/yr today. Hamhuis and Bieksa each about 4 or 4.5 mil each.

Dont have the exact numbers but if Carle gets about 4 mil, and Coburn and Mesz are each at about 4, that's 12-13 mil for three Dmen. Let's say we get two bottom feeders 5th and 6th Dmen for 1.5 mil each, that's 15-16 mil.

So how much SHOULD a team pay for defense. To give Suter 7 mil would put ttl at 23 mil. Is that too much?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd just love to go for Suter over Carle if we could. Seriously, he's that awesome. Also, thinking of having Suter for 7M is full of it. No way is he worth that much. Maybe 4.5 to 5M would do it, but NO where near 7. I'd just say blitz to get him in the off-season.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not surprisingly, his role model is Zdeno Chara. Though from what I've read, scouts think Sustr is less of a project than Chara at this point in their respective developments. I haven't been able to find any thorough scouting reports on him, but if you type his name into Google you'll be able to read an assortment of articles and whatnot. I know there was a thread about Sustr on the Senators HF board, and I'm going to try to see if any of the scouts I'm in contact with can hook me up with more information/opinions about him.
This sounds intriguing.

Too bad this team prefers to sign washed up 35+ players instead of developing young D.

01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Does he mean this thread?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1045471

Honestly, I think we should look at him if we can get him on the cheap. A huge body with supposed good enough skill sounds like it could work out well. And he shoots right.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Does he mean this thread?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1045471

Honestly, I think we should look at him if we can get him on the cheap. A huge body with supposed good enough skill sounds like it could work out well. And he shoots right.
I do not know much about him but if he is a real deal obviously Flyers should be interested.

What is the difference between him and Oliver Lauridsen?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ya, I'd easily pass also
Definitely not enough for JVR.

How about something around Murray for Voracek? Think the Sharks need to add - maybe a PMD prospect like Irwin or equivalent pick.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
ilovetheflyers8

John-Michael Liles re-signed with the Leafs for 3.875 million and 4 years. That gives me a little hope if we are going to re-sign Carle. Liles has 4 less points than Carle this season,and had 6 more last season.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=49597

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-26-2012 at 10:15 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd just love to go for Suter over Carle if we could. Seriously, he's that awesome. Also, thinking of having Suter for 7M is full of it. No way is he worth that much. Maybe 4.5 to 5M would do it, but NO where near 7. I'd just say blitz to get him in the off-season.
He's a top 10 defenseman and can play effectively in any situation. Suter is a younger, bigger, and possibly better version of Kimmo Timonen. James Wisniewski got a 6 year deal for 5.5 (making 7 this year) for 51 points. Suter will be around there offensively and is far better defensively than Wisniewski.

I would be ok with Carle being re-signed if it was less than 5 years for less than 4 million, I just think he would have to really like playing for the Flyers to take that kind of a pay reduction.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
He's a top 10 defenseman and can play effectively in any situation. Suter is a younger, bigger, and possibly better version of Kimmo Timonen. James Wisniewski got a 6 year deal for 5.5 (making 7 this year) for 51 points. Suter will be around there offensively and is far better defensively than Wisniewski.

I would be ok with Carle being re-signed if it was less than 5 years for less than 4 million, I just think he would have to really like playing for the Flyers to take that kind of a pay reduction.
Id say Kimmo and Suter at the same age.. Kimmo was the better player. That being said Suter is 26 and we need a young guy to anchor this D around.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote