HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 05:02 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers report card

One of those nights when the team didn't play that badly but Belfour was the difference this evening. A few too many odd man rushes but really none of those cost the Oilers.

Bergeron - He is not creating enough to make up for the many, many defensive errors that he just keeps on making. Made many errors tonight.

Brewer - Getting much stronger, after playing his best game against Montreal he followed that up tonight with another solid effort. Was getting his shots on net, made a couple of great defensive plays and made just a beauty pass to Smyth tonight for the Oilers only goal.

Chimera - Like his whole line started out very well, but faded as the game wore on.

Conklin - Good effort in relief of Salo (more on him later ). Solid effort.

Cross - Made a few questionable plays tonight but really didn't notice him otherwise. Which isn't a bad thing.

Dvorak - Not one of his strongest games, you can tell now when he shoots that he has lost complete confidence.

Ferguson - Strong, simple game.

Horcoff - Really didn't notice him this evening.

Laraque - He really didn't do much but also didn't get a lot of icetime. Really nothing negative or positive to report.

Moreau - Bad penalty to put his team down two man, mostly a steady effort. Not as good as he has been playing lately but I don't expect Moreau to lead the team offensively anyway.

Pisani - Always good defensively but there was nothing to report offensively tonight.

Reasoner - Not going to grade him. I am just glad that he wasn't seriously hurt.

Salo - I have been his biggest defender when I felt he was maligned unfairly but that was a terrible effort. On the first goal he went down too soon, and on the third goal he just fell asleep. I believe Conklin will start getting more starts than Tommy and then we will not renew his contract. Yes I would love to trade him, but how much are we really going to get for him?

Smith - Loved the fact that he tried to engage Belak in some fisticuffs to get his team going. I believe it was him that was beat on the Sundin goal but that is going to happen once in a while and Mats is a pretty good hockey player.

Smyth - Looked more like the old Smytty all night, could have had a few goals this evening. He was crashing and banging tonight.

Staios - Played another good game, I believe I heard before the game that he was averaging the fourth or fifth most ice time in the NHL. Is that right guys and gals?

Torres - Had a few good chances, always gritty.

York - Needs to do more offensively than he has the last few games.

Sarno - Not a bad effort, provided more that Horcoff on that line, but I don't think he is the answer to our first line centre problems either. Though I think he deserves a few more games.

Salmenlainen - Has a golden opportunity every night it seems, too bad he can't seem to bury the puck.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
momentai

I don't know if I completely agree with you about Brewer. That pairing made quite a few errors tonight especially in the first period. Cross gave away more than his fair share of pucks when getting pressured by the forechecker. Brewer wasn't in position to help him. That Mogilny breakaway was a result of Brewer fumbling the puck and letting Mogilny blow past him.

Agree about Dvorak... When Torres made that back pass to Devo in the slot, he had to shoot. Instead he passes it right away to Torres and slides into the corner. (Though Raffi really should have shot it in the first place)

Old
11-08-2003, 05:37 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I don't know if I completely agree with you about Brewer. That pairing made quite a few errors tonight especially in the first period. Cross gave away more than his fair share of pucks when getting pressured by the forechecker. Brewer wasn't in position to help him. That Mogilny breakaway was a result of Brewer fumbling the puck and letting Mogilny blow past him.

Agree about Dvorak... When Torres made that back pass to Devo in the slot, he had to shoot. Instead he passes it right away to Torres and slides into the corner. (Though Raffi really should have shot it in the first place)
I didn't say he was mistake free. Lets face it no player is going to go an entire game without making a mistake, but he also made some great defensive plays and was creating offensively all night.

As for giving the puck away when being checked by a forechecker that happens to every dman many times in a course of an evening. I get more upset by unforced errors. Cross also pounds it off the boards when there is no play more often than not. Ferguson is the same way, he makes the simple play.

There isn't a player on the ice that didn't make mistakes tonight, but he also made some great defensive plays and created offensively all night.

Every dman gives the puck away and is going to in every game, but when I analyze a game I look at the whole picture, and in my picture Brewer created more than he gave up and more than made up for his errors by playing solid on more than one occasion.

The Moginly breakaway was unlucky, that play would have been offside but it hit Brewer's stick and why was Moginly so wide open? What forward missed their assignment? Again it is looking at the whole picture.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:38 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai

Oh, you can't pin any blame on Dvorak on that play...that was a TERRIBLE decision by Torres, and the puck wasn't even in a spot where Radek could shoot it right away. Instead he had to kind of wheel around and took what looked to me like a crappy shot, but it also looked like it would have been a miracle if he had gotten any kind of decent shot on that play. Awful decision by Torres - you can't be doing back-passes 10 feet from the net like that.

And yes, it's time for Salo to sit for a while. Maybe it's not Pete Peeters that he needs - it's a SHRINK.

Bart

Closed Thread