HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole on Subban: Selfishness

Old
01-25-2012, 10:22 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
honestly, that penalty really wasn't that bad. The RDS crew cranked up the hype on it. Obviously the coaches didn't like it, but it think it's just everything going against PK. If DD or Cole himself had pushed a guy off, would be a different story. I trust Cole, so I'll go with the theme that they're trying to corral PK into whatever it is they think he's not, but from my POV he played a pretty simple game up until that penalty. Even in the third he made some "selfish" rushes but they were useful. I do think Cole should know better than to light the fire though even though he's essentially saying they need to get the best out of PK. In Montreal, it's never going to be taken the white...err..right way.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
I think there should be one all-pupose Subban thread.

These daily obsession threads are getting ridiculous.
Seriously. It's getting ridiculous now. I'm sure the players are sick and tired of having to answer questions about PK too.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
honestly, that penalty really wasn't that bad. The RDS crew cranked up the hype on it. Obviously the coaches didn't like it, but it think it's just everything going against PK. If DD or Cole himself had pushed a guy off, would be a different story. I trust Cole, so I'll go with the theme that they're trying to corral PK into whatever it is they think he's not, but from my POV he played a pretty simple game up until that penalty. Even in the third he made some "selfish" rushes but they were useful. I do think Cole should know better than to light the fire though even though he's essentially saying they need to get the best out of PK. In Montreal, it's never going to be taken the white...err..right way.
You know, I didn't think it was that bad either. I was actually surprised that he got called for it. Whatever, I know Ray Ferraro thought it was terrible and so did the coaches and obviously his teammates so... I guess it was bad.

Anyway, it looks like the new tactic with Subban is to pile on him until he gives up. Let's hope he gets through this unscatehd because we really need him to develop into a top defenseman for the future. He's got all the tools and I'm betting he puts it all together. It's just going to take some time.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You know, I didn't think it was that bad either. I was actually surprised that he got called for it. Whatever, I know Ray Ferraro thought it was terrible and so did the coaches and obviously his teammates so... I guess it was bad.

Anyway, it looks like the new tactic with Subban is to pile on him until he gives up. Let's hope he gets through this unscatehd because we really need him to develop into a top defenseman for the future. He's got all the tools and I'm betting he puts it all together. It's just going to take some time.
I would expect no less even if Cleary dove 3 feet away from Subban.

It really is a lot of blame PK and the media aint helping. I like that the crowd got behind him tonight. I didn't enjoy them semi-jeering Gomez who has probably been the most hardworking guy aside from Cole in the past string of games. I think after awhile they warmed up to him. When he almost got a breakaway, you could tell the crowd wanted it so bad, either for the thrill of him scoring or for the LOL-factor.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
InglewoodJack

If that's what Cole said, he's an idiot.

You don't call a teammate out. If anything, say it to his face.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Can we have a 1-month moratorium on discussing Subban in the media? Leave the guy alone, sheesh.
Your right. A guy with a huge ego, and continues to take stupid penalties...deserves a break. Yeah, lets just continue to feed his ego.

The damn team isn't all about PK even if he thinks so.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post

Yeah, a veteran who is playing his heart out, isn't allowed to say anything about a player, who has a inflated ego, constantly does stupid things in a game, and has once again projected "potential" isn't allowed to be called out. Obviously its not just the "media" as alot of fanboys believe. Maybe he truely is a cancer.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
I would expect no less even if Cleary dove 3 feet away from Subban.

It really is a lot of blame PK and the media aint helping. I like that the crowd got behind him tonight. I didn't enjoy them semi-jeering Gomez who has probably been the most hardworking guy aside from Cole in the past string of games. I think after awhile they warmed up to him. When he almost got a breakaway, you could tell the crowd wanted it so bad, either for the thrill of him scoring or for the LOL-factor.
I'm not a Gomez fan at all but he has been playing his heart out. And watching him get booed and then PK getting a cheer in the third when he touched the puck was disgusting.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post

It wasn't just Cole, Gorges said the same thing at intermission. Both vets are trying to send a message. Hopefully it's constructive and it's taken the right way.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Maybe PK will FINALLY get the message.
No he won't because as alot on here want to say, PK does no wrong, even when the teams vets and stars are calling him out.

Kid needs some help in the brain department.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
No he won't because as alot on here want to say, PK does no wrong, even when the teams vets and stars are calling him out.

Better get rid of him like our other "problem children" I guess (SK, Grabo, Latendresse, Ribeiro et al).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
prairie hab

What Cole said regarding Subban is what should have been said by ANYONE about Cammalleri.

I'm baffled as to why so many will blindly defend Subban for his less than stellar play this season.

I've had to listen to many people bash Andrei Kostitsyn for years, but when it comes to PK he is somehow immune to criticism?

PK needs to man up and buy in. He has been a diva this season.

So Erik Cole gets a handclap

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
thegreatgasby*

Quote:

francois gagnon is that you?????

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:01 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
I'm not a Gomez fan at all but he has been playing his heart out. And watching him get booed and then PK getting a cheer in the third when he touched the puck was disgusting.
As painful as it has been to watch Gomez at times in his tenure in Montreal, you can never question the fact that he cares, and is a professional. I am very happy for him in that he seems to have found a nice groove since returning to the lineup.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Stradale

I don't see it as Cole calling PK. It was a selfish penalty we all know it so nothing new here. What's the big deal? and our team cannot afford a player taking selfish/useless penalty... anything wrong with that too? No.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
thegreatgasby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
What Cole said regarding Subban is what should have been said by ANYONE about Cammalleri.

I'm baffled as to why so many will blindly defend Subban for his less than stellar play this season.

I've had to listen to many people bash Andrei Kostitsyn for years, but when it comes to PK he is somehow immune to criticism?

Samething happened with price a few years back ...even markov told him to shut up and start stoping pucks..he was young and immature...millionaire + young+montreal=

ribeiro-sergei-grabo-price-and now subban we traded the first 3 for nothing...dont we learn from our previous mistakes?

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jessiman View Post
Every time we have a young star in Montreal he ends up getting shipped out for an underpayment. I can just see it now
Unlike you, I don't see it. Management knows what it has in Subban. His teammates and coaches see his selfish, stupid play this season up close and they have the right and the wisdom to demand that he shape up. But when all is said and done Subban will remain and eventually become an all-star (which he isn't right now).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
I'm not at a TV and there aren't any vids online yet, Louis Jean saying Desharnais, Price and Cole had something to say about Subban being selfish.

Ouff. Piling on.
When players as well as coaches and the media say these things there must be something to it. His youth is a poor excuse. PK isn't 18, he's 22. Quite a few young NHL players are able to learn their lessons by then,

Old
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I love PK and wore a Subban shirt at the game tonight but it was a dumb, selfish penalty. An undisciplined retaliation penalty that always gets called. He should have just sucked up the body contact he took and remained focused on the task.

Hopefully he learns. And by the way, I would be extremely disappointed if the Habs trade PK. Just keep on working with the kid. Chelios was very raw when he came into the NHL and he came in at an older age than PK.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgasby View Post
Samething happened with price a few years back ...even markov told him to shut up and start stoping pucks..he was young and immature...millionaire + young+montreal=

ribeiro-sergei-grabo-price-and now subban we traded the first 3 for nothing...dont we learn from our previous mistakes?
Who's the we? And weren't there reasons for trading Ribeiro, SKost, and Grabowski? The young player I least wanted to trade wasn't one of those three, It was McDonagh.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgasby View Post

Yes....exactly! And for all the scrutiny PK has faced for on-ice micues, he always says the right things in interviews. He's a very poised speaker and acknowledges when he does something wrong. He'll be fine. We can't give up on this kid.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

No one has said PK is immune to criticism he's been getting it fairly/unfairly the minute he stepped on the ice. What I don't understand is you can't seem to decipher the difference between fair and unfair criticism.

It just seems odd that during a season where the entire team is struggling how a 22 year old dman continues to be singled out. No other player on this team has been singled out. Not even the $8M/year player who hasn't scored a goal in an entire year.

PK took a bad penalty, but apparently he is the only player to do so. Everything seems to get blown out of proportion and lost in the middle of that is the constructive criticism that he needs.

Maybe I didn't set these lofty expectations that so many others did. I didn't think he'd top 14 goals this year. I also sensed that he probably would have a sophomore slump...every young dman does through this. But I guess in Montreal it's unprecedented.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Cole should be captain. The guy plays hard every night and leads by example. He is the perfect player for our youngsters to emulate. What an excellent signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Better get rid of him like our other "problem children" I guess (SK, Grabo, Latendresse, Ribeiro et al).
Umm good riddance? None of those players are missed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Cupmonger

The clip is on TSN. He says that it's an "opportunity for the coaching staff to send a message''. That with such a lead, we can't have anymore of "selfish penalties and the undisciplined penalties that have been happening". He isn't explicitly pointing at Subban with all the blame. Cole knows that Subban isn't the only player getting these terrible penalties. But it's fair for everyone to say that Subban has been getting plenty of these penalties. And he's also been getting a lot of them when we've been on the powerplay. The one he got tonight was entirely unnecessary.

Chill out.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
S Bah

Maybe some of his behavior was picked up during the summer after he got called up for the playoffs.Hanging out with Cammalleri and Gomez the veterans that took him under their wings.It's time he started paying attn. to his coaches before his dream of being a Montreal Canadien starts to be a nightmare.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote