HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Hamilton: "If Darcy and Lindy are fired, it will NOT be during the season"

Old
01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Paul Hamilton: "If Darcy and Lindy are fired, it will NOT be during the season"

On WGR this morning, they are talking about what Paul Hamilton relayed from a "Sabres Source".

Basically, even if Darcy and/or Lindy are fired, it will NOT happen during the season.

Maybe now we can officially put the rumors from Blueandgold to rest now?

I will post an article link when one is available.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
barcs

I can't help but think that's not what's best for the franchise. Waiting for the sake of waiting gives the new regime, if there is one, less time to prepare for the upcoming draft/free agency period/season. I hope this is not a case of Terry just being curtious to his guys.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:46 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Paul Hamilton: #Sabres source tells him even if they lost every game...Lindy and Darcy will not be fired during this season.
Per @JeremyWGR

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Firing one or both now really doesn't accomplish much except to satiate those screaming for heads to roll.

- Firing Ruff : Tacit admission that the season is lost. James Patrick probably takes over on an interim basis. No point in interviewing for a permanent replacement, since a huge pool of potential candidates (other coaches and assistants) are still in the middle of the season and can't interview. System won't change all that much, and not much change in player development.

- Firing Regier : Kevin Devine or Jon Christiano probably take over, again on an interim basis. Again, no point in interviewing for a permanent replacement now since the candidate pool will be tiny mid-season. Either guy coming in will probably also be conservative around the deadline since as a temporary GM, they wouldn't feel confident making huge blow-up the team moves. Regier probably doesn't either, but the odds are better for him to do something over a temporary GM.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

As long as changes are made after this season is over, I can live with it.

I've pretty much checked out for this season anyway, other than checking in here once in awhile. They've sucked all year, they suck now, they can continue to suck until April. Just be sure to start fixing it once this one is in the books.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Jame
Dream '16

my biggest fear :
Darcy trying to save his (and Lindy's) job, by selling the future for the present....

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Clock

That's great, except that means that a potential incoming GM would miss out on the trade deadline. That could hurt if Regier isn't thinking "rebuild" but the new guy is. Then again, maybe that directive would be passed down from Black / Pegula to Darcy come end of February. Who knows.

Regardless, it makes sense. Do it in the offseason if you're going to do it, less hubbub and it arguably makes the "firing" a bit more dignified.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
thahamer

Like stated on WGR this morning... I am a bit afraid that the team improves, but falls short of playoffs. They use that as a reason why they shouldn't be ousted.

thahamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
As long as changes are made after this season is over, I can live with it.

I've pretty much checked out for this season anyway, other than checking in here once in awhile. They've sucked all year, they suck now, they can continue to suck until April. Just be sure to start fixing it once this one is in the books.
Agreed. There's no real point in firing them during the year, IMO, because it doesn't necessarily give them a jump on filling those positions if they want to hire people in other organizations. Doing it during the season is spiteful, IMO, it won't help them begin the rebuild. As long as they sell off their UFA assets, I'd rather keep as much of this intact for the next front office to decide what to do.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:02 AM
joshjull

That tells me firing them is an option now but if they do it they want it done in a dignified way.

Obviously that doesn't mean either gets fired. But it's certainly a change from, Lindy is coach for life.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Agreed. There's no real point in firing them during the year, IMO, because it doesn't necessarily give them a jump on filling those positions if they want to hire people in other organizations. Doing it during the season is spiteful, IMO, it won't help them begin the rebuild. As long as they sell off their UFA assets, I'd rather keep as much of this intact for the next front office to decide what to do.
yea, there most definitely is.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:07 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
That's great, except that means that a potential incoming GM would miss out on the trade deadline. That could hurt if Regier isn't thinking "rebuild" but the new guy is. Then again, maybe that directive would be passed down from Black / Pegula to Darcy come end of February. Who knows.

Regardless, it makes sense. Do it in the offseason if you're going to do it, less hubbub and it arguably makes the "firing" a bit more dignified.
Any new GM just needs to be in place before the draft. That's when any serious retool would take place.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, there most definitely is.
The only thing gained from a firing today would be to shut up everyone who's clamoring for it. It doesn't do anything to turn this season around on the ice, and doesn't do anything to change the direction of the franchise moving forward.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:13 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
What source would know that other than Pegula and Ted Black? So unless it came from either of them, I'd take this with a grain of salt.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The only thing gained from a firing today would be to shut up everyone who's clamoring for it. It doesn't do anything to turn this season around on the ice, and doesn't do anything to change the direction of the franchise moving forward.
It gives whoever is taking over an opportunity to rate his team in a dead season. They'd receive 30-40 games to evaluate everything on the roster instead of trying to do it in an off-season with no game time.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
firing the GM today, gives a new guy time to evaluate and make trades knowing he has a much longer window to build a team in. With this "he won't be fired IN season" stuff out there, Regier has to think that he has to turn things around now. Which means, NON Rebuild type moves.

if you WANT to see a rebuild, and not more plugging of the holes on a sinking ship, then firing the GM NOW, is a HUGE gain.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:18 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
my biggest fear :
Darcy trying to save his (and Lindy's) job, by selling the future for the present....
Don't worry about that. Regier would rather do nothing and get fired than make the wrong move.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

You guys assume the new permanent GM would be hired right now to replace Regier. That's not going to happen.

If they keep someone from the existing staff, it's the 'same old, same old', right? If they hire a permanent replacement now, they're doing a disservice there too because they limited the talent pool they have to select from since so many other candidates are currently employed with other teams.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:22 AM
kirby11

Quote:
My problem with this is the huge question of do DR/LR think a rebuild is necessary? or do they continue with their crappy line of "the rochester core is capable of winning a cup with other complementary pieces and will be ok when everyone's healthy." because if they think that, they might be willing to, as Jame pointed out, sell the younger core to build around the rochester core that dr/lr seem to be so in love with. But everyone in that group outside of pominville/vanek has woefully underachieved this year AND have not stepped up as the leaders we expected when roy/staff were given the A. and if they go with that route, we'd be the calgary flames of the east: We'd have a ton of overpaid vets and no young guys/cap space available to fix the problems.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Any new GM just needs to be in place before the draft. That's when any serious retool would take place.
yea, give him 5 minutes to assess the situation...

Old
01-26-2012, 09:24 AM
kirby11

And like myllz mentioned, the gm could evaluate on some live game play rather than tapes/hearsay which would allow him to make more informed decisions on what to do with the roster

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
firing the GM today, gives a new guy time to evaluate and make trades knowing he has a much longer window to build a team in. With this "he won't be fired IN season" stuff out there, Regier has to think that he has to turn things around now. Which means, NON Rebuild type moves.

if you WANT to see a rebuild, and not more plugging of the holes on a sinking ship, then firing the GM NOW, is a HUGE gain.

That's only true if you want to replace Regier with a GM who's not working for another organization. Toronto isn't going to let Dudley come over in February, Pitt isn't going to release Botterill, etc.

I want a new GM to have TOTAL say over whatever direction they go. That means leaving as many big moves available to him as possible. Firing Regier and Ruff isn't going to activate the rebuilding process unless they plan on hiring Neil Smith and Randy Carlyle.

Firing Ruff and Regier during the season serves no point but to embarrass them beyond the embarrassment that this season already his. I hope Pegula and Black run this team thoughtfully, not spitefully.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
My problem with this is the huge question of do DR/LR think a rebuild is necessary? or do they continue with their crappy line of "the rochester core is capable of winning a cup with other complementary pieces and will be ok when everyone's healthy." because if they think that, they might be willing to, as Jame pointed out, sell the younger core to build around the rochester core that dr/lr seem to be so in love with. But everyone in that group outside of pominville/vanek has woefully underachieved this year AND have not stepped up as the leaders we expected when roy/staff were given the A. and if they go with that route, we'd be the calgary flames of the east: We'd have a ton of overpaid vets and no young guys/cap space available to fix the problems.

I don't want to predict what they will or won't do. If they've decided to go in another direction I would hope their mandate for Regier is to sell off their pending UFAs (with the Hecht situation, that's not a lot I know), maybe move a guy around the fringe (Leopold, McCormick, Kaleta, Ellis, etc) and don't make any major move (Roy, Stafford, etc) unless management approves. As poor as the roster is, I actually want it as intact as possible for the next GM to make the big decisions. If Regier has a problem with that, then you can fire him and have Devine or whoever execute the plan.

On the other hand, if they decide to keep Ruff and Regier, I guess they can let him do whatever he wants with their blessing.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
That's only true if you want to replace Regier with a GM who's not working for another organization. Toronto isn't going to let Dudley come over in February, Pitt isn't going to release Botterill, etc.

I want a new GM to have TOTAL say over whatever direction they go. That means leaving as many big moves available to him as possible. Firing Regier and Ruff isn't going to activate the rebuilding process unless they plan on hiring Neil Smith and Randy Carlyle.

Firing Ruff and Regier during the season serves no point but to embarrass them beyond the embarrassment that this season already his. I hope Pegula and Black run this team thoughtfully, not spitefully.
Why can't Dudley leave Toronto to take a higher position? I may be an idiot for asking...

Old
01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
That tells me firing them is an option now but if they do it they want it done in a dignified way.

Obviously that doesn't mean either gets fired. But it's certainly a change from, Lindy is coach for life.
You're reading an awful lot into a few words.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote