HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Trash Talking in Mens/Beer Leagues

Old
01-24-2012, 12:08 AM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Chirping is ok. Don't cross 'the line'.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Guffaw

Mine gets nasty quite frequently unfortunately. Maybe its the area (Philly).

The talking is one thing. The dirty, intent to injure plays are what I have an issue with. Repeat offenders need to be banned. Period. Two handers to the head, kicking skates out from behind, running someone from behind into boards, deliberate attempts to take out a knee. Come on. That's complete garbage and how people get REALLY hurt in the parking lot.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
Trash talking just is part of beer league. And 99% of the time it's all in good fun and stays on the ice.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:08 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Chirping is part of the game and part of the fun in my opinion. I know almost all the guys in my league so for the most part we just go back and forth on each other. Sometimes there are guys who take it too seriously, but that is a rarity.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like to reverse trash talk. Get up to the faceoff and start ripping myself for being fat/out of shape/tired/make fun of my skating ability/etc. Get the guy relaxed and unfocused and then just jump off from the dot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
I play in mid level adult rec league.... Mediocre hockey at best....

Earlier this season an opponent and I ran into eachother(not hard at all) Im 6'1" he is maybe 5'8" and he gets all angry and starts saying "Thats a head shot! You just gave me a headshot!!" I just told him he watches too much Sportscenter... Teamates were actually giggling on the ice because he was saying it so loud.... He acted like a hero the rest of the game...

Most of the time the chirping is pretty harmless and funny...The people that take is too seriously are just losers

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:48 AM
blueberrydanish

Nothing wrong with pokin fun.

Just keep it in a joking light hearted manner and all is good in my opinion.

I love when some guys go on and on and are serious about it but make no sense. They are just rambling. Ill always give them "What they hell are you even talking about?" as Im laughing. Its damn beer league unless someone did something dirty dont run your mouth like an ass.

Not really chirping, but just somethin I like to do is sing random songs as Im lined up for a face-off, gets a wide variety of reactions.

Ive even given the occasional "MMM you smell nice" to someone Im tying up infront of the net.

Light hearted stuff is more appropriate to try and take someone off their game in beer league. Always gives me a smile and maybe even the other person....if they aren't weirded out...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Tracey19

I dont play hockey but play lacrosse in basically a mens rec league. When i used to play competitive I would be talking the whole game to get the guys off their games. Did it work? sometime yes sometimes no, I have drawn a tonne of penalties though.

Now in Mens Rec i still talk but just for fun. Its still travel so i'll ask what the weathers like where theiir team is from or like the one poster had said ill sing a song. If i bash anyone now its pretty much myself. We are all just playing so that we can still play some form of the sport, theres no reason to take it too serious.

If its fun its fine, otherwise just grow up.

Tracey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Chirping in beer league tournaments is pretty funny. You always get the guys who say things like "your #$%$$& terrible" etc etc etc. Just respond. "Yeah I know thats why im playing in this tournament".

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:15 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
reactions like that are why people trashtalk in the first place
things like... wrong side of the crossbar there buddy or... beaking someone about a dive is acceptable..
just like all sports i'd say

its when... someone gives you the ole... better keep your head up or its coming off... that's where that pisses me off

that's where I'll take exclusion and will go out of my way to make sure that he practices what he preaches.

I find this is where I usually lay people out in non-contact cleanly:
The winger who is recieving the pass, isn't aware of his surroundings... and you go to intercept the pass on his blind side body, and he turns into you with with his head, though you already have taken the posession of the puck and unlike him, you're moving with alot of momentum...
he's on the ground, you're at least 3-4 steps away skating hard with the puck

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Badger36

To me, trash talk in beer league is just sad. Youre there to have fun, not to earn an NHL contract.
If you think that any amount of chirping is going to get to me or get under my skins, think again.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:14 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
A little good natured, funny trash talk in the flow of the game is perfectly fine IMO.

The guys who think they're the next coming of Sean Avery, and trash talk "because they're agitators" are losers though, even more pathetic than the guys who come to the rink with tinted visors, yellow laces and a jersey tuck. It's beer league, not the pros, nobody has to play the agitator role to earn their next contract. It's only the "weekend warriors" who can barely skate who ever try this anyways.
Agree with the trash talkin gbut never understood the hate over yellow laces and jersey tuck. Yellow laces came with my skates and if someone tucks their jersey because its more comfortable to them whats the big deal.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:51 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

50-60% of the teams I've played on are too busy yelling at each other to be trash talking the other team. God forbid an assignment is blown, people just start trash talking each other, nevermind the people that we're playing against.

Great strategy, right?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Agree with the trash talkin gbut never understood the hate over yellow laces and jersey tuck. Yellow laces came with my skates and if someone tucks their jersey because its more comfortable to them whats the big deal.
Well, lots of people think that people who use/do those things think they're cool because of it. That bothers some people. I don't even understand the point of upward-tilted visors but I don't let it bother me. I just look at the guy and figure he's just some dumbass who follows trends for the sake of following a trend.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I hate chirping with my mouth guard in, it makes me sound like Bryan Murray.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Well, lots of people think that people who use/do those things think they're cool because of it. That bothers some people. I don't even understand the point of upward-tilted visors but I don't let it bother me. I just look at the guy and figure he's just some dumbass who follows trends for the sake of following a trend.
I think it depends on why you are doing what you are doing. I'm not a fan of yellow laces, but you see so many of them it does not faze me. Tinted visors look stupid and I might joke about the guy with my teammates but it is not chirp worthy on the ice.

As far as tucked jerseys go I half tuck mine. Our first jerseys were so small that I had to tuck it. We got new jerseys that fit properly but I still tuck b/c I'm just used to it, and yes I like how it looks. If someone chirps me for that it's cool, but it has yet to happen.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Frankie Spankie

I play in two leagues, one league gets blown up once a year with a draft and 4 "GMs" to select the teams. IMO, this is what keeps the league friendly and as strong as it is. There isn't any trash talking going on here, everybody's there for a good time. Sure, there are moments where a player will lose their cool but it doesn't happen very often and we usually just forget about it by the next game anyway. It also helps that the league is really strict. We've had 2 people banned from the league for stupid things when they really shouldn't have lasted as long as they did. 3 penalties in a game gets you kicked out (mouthing off to a ref will easily get you an additional 2) and then you go on probation. If you get kicked out again for the next year from that date, automatic ban from the league.

The other league I play in, for the most part, there isn't much trash talking. There are some players that are clearly trying to piss other players off and there are some players that just get pissed off too easily and then trash talk themselves. Both of those types of guys need to get their act together. I find it kind of sad that in the league, the average age is probably 30-40 years old and I'm 23 and usually the most level headed guy out there, talk about maturity.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I play in two leagues, one league gets blown up once a year with a draft and 4 "GMs" to select the teams. IMO, this is what keeps the league friendly and as strong as it is. There isn't any trash talking going on here, everybody's there for a good time. Sure, there are moments where a player will lose their cool but it doesn't happen very often and we usually just forget about it by the next game anyway. It also helps that the league is really strict. We've had 2 people banned from the league for stupid things when they really shouldn't have lasted as long as they did. 3 penalties in a game gets you kicked out (mouthing off to a ref will easily get you an additional 2) and then you go on probation. If you get kicked out again for the next year from that date, automatic ban from the league.

The other league I play in, for the most part, there isn't much trash talking. There are some players that are clearly trying to piss other players off and there are some players that just get pissed off too easily and then trash talk themselves. Both of those types of guys need to get their act together. I find it kind of sad that in the league, the average age is probably 30-40 years old and I'm 23 and usually the most level headed guy out there, talk about maturity.

That draft thing sounds pretty neat.

In my leagues, we have people aged from 16 to one guy in his 50s at least. The biggest loudmouth and wannabe tough guys are that old guy (he basically skates around looking to run people and slash them, since he's no good at anything else) and the ones around 18-20. We hit each end of the spectrum there!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
I hate chirping with my mouth guard in, it makes me sound like Bryan Murray.

I usually tell them if their gonna talk sheet to take the mouthpiece out because I can't understand their mumbling.

One of the best ones I've heard recently a guy on a team I was subbing for had dated a dudes wife on the other team a few years ago, he lined up next to him for the draw and goes "How's my d!$k taste on your wife?"........I nearly lost it

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post

I usually tell them if their gonna talk sheet to take the mouthpiece out because I can't understand their mumbling.

One of the best ones I've heard recently a guy on a team I was subbing for had dated a dudes wife on the other team a few years ago, he lined up next to him for the draw and goes "How's my d!$k taste on your wife?"........I nearly lost it
He would have tasted my fist in his mouth if someone said that to me. No doubt about it.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post

I would of said "not as good as the real thing big boy" then slapped his ass.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote