HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Hamilton: "If Darcy and Lindy are fired, it will NOT be during the season"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
  #26
puckish66
Registered User
 
puckish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Why can't Dudley leave Toronto to take a higher position? I may be an idiot for asking...
I thought it had been reported that Burke wouldn't stop his underlings from getting a better job.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
  #27
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Why can't Dudley leave Toronto to take a higher position? I may be an idiot for asking...
The Leafs would have to allow him to interview in-season. That's not likely.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:39 AM
  #28
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yea, give him 5 minutes to assess the situation...
Yeah Dave Tallon had a real tough time in Florida.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:40 AM
  #29
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+
 
ZemgusWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Maybe now we can officially put the rumors from Blueandgold to rest now?
Who are those blue and gold people? Does anyone know?
Though I'm done with them, I already know the go-to destination on the net for people who make stuff up about hockey teams.

Quote:
That tells me firing them is an option now but if they do it they want it done in a dignified way.
I have no problem with this. Seriously. I think there will be more top-notch replacements available in the off-season. If I want to replace my GM/coach, I want to do it at a time where the best coaches are available. Not when all the top notch assistants, AHL coaches, and the like are hard at work.

and finally, I think Darcy is GMing for his career right now. and I don't think that means he'll try and make a playoff run. If he doesn't make good faith trades in a rebuild manner, he'll never get a job in the NHL again. He may not be employed in Buffalo, but he will be motivated to demonstrate that he can work towards the good of a team.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
  #30
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The Leafs would have to allow him to interview in-season. That's not likely.
Given that Burke left Anaheim for Toronto in-season, it would be hypocritical if he did that to Dudley.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
  #31
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
You're reading an awful lot into a few words.
I'm channeling my inner puckish.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
  #32
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I thought it had been reported that Burke wouldn't stop his underlings from getting a better job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Given that Burke left Anaheim for Toronto in-season, it would be hypocritical if he did that to Dudley.
exactly...

fire darcy and lindy, hire dudley and carlyle, begin rebuild

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
  #33
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
The last thing this team needs is a reason to start playing now. A new coach/gm could ignite them out of a top pick and not into the playoffs.

Keep the tired combo. Fire them the week following the last game of the year. Find suitable replacements, have a great draft, get the wrong players out, the right players in, and win.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #34
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Given that Burke left Anaheim for Toronto in-season, it would be hypocritical if he did that to Dudley.
I don't totally disagree with that, but in his case he resigned and negotiated release from his deal to take the Toronto job.

Unless Duds did the same, he'd need Toronto's permission just to interview in season.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  #35
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
exactly...

fire darcy and lindy, hire dudley and carlyle, begin rebuild
I wouldn't be opposed to it but would rather wait until the off season to screen more candidates. Since more will be available then.


Two questions

1) how would you feel if they got his team to go on a run and miss out on a lottey pick?

2) I think Dudley is a sharp hockey guy. But to my knowledge he has never been a successful GM. Why so gung ho to hire him? Is it just because he isnt Darcy?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
  #36
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The Leafs would have to allow him to interview in-season. That's not likely.
That's my assumption.

How often do you see guys switch organizations mid-season who haven't been fired. Frankly I was shocked that Nashville let Muller take an NHL job this season and I can't think of any others off hand. From Burke's point of view, he's hired Dudley to be his director of player personnel for this season, it's not in his interest in letting Dudley leave before the year is over. That's my opinion anyway but from an anecdotal standpoint, you simply don't see guys leave organizations during the year (obviously a response to Jame, not you Beech)

The Lightning fired Lawton at the end of the year but didn't hire Yzerman until Detroit's playoff run was over.

Dudley, Botterill, Sweeney, Jim Nill, Paul Fenton, whoever else are fair game but it doesn't seem realistic that they'll join the Sabres before April.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I don't totally disagree with that, but in his case he resigned and negotiated release from his deal to take the Toronto job.

Unless Duds did the same, he'd need Toronto's permission just to interview in season.
Burke was a different scenario. If Dudley resigns or talks himself out of the organization he's fair game. Right now he's property of the Leafs.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
  #37
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Burke was a different scenario. If Dudley resigns or talks himself out of the organization he's fair game. Right now he's property of the Leafs.
Burke quit, but could not officially start talking to the Leafs until the Ducks released him from his contract.

Same thing would apply here. Duds could resign, but until the Leafs voided the contract they could prevent him from making moves to start somewhere else.

In practice I think Duds would rather wait until the season was over anyways, but that's just a guess. Nobody even knows if the man would WANT this job.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
  #38
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it but would rather wait until the off season to screen more candidates. Since more will be available then.


Two questions

1) how would you feel if they got his team to go on a run and miss out on a lottey pick?
Personally, I wouldn't be crazy about it but that's something that's hard to legitimately control. If it happens it happens, they can upgrade the organization without a lottery pick and, if necessary, they have the resources to make a Carter/Couturier-type move.

Quote:
2) I think Dudley is a sharp hockey guy. But to my knowledge he has never been a successful GM. Why so gung ho to hire him? Is it just because he isnt Darcy?
I'm not crazy about hiring a former GM period because I feel they basically went that route when they kept Regier in the first place (which I was open to). Regier had a long, specific track record with the organization under certain ownership constraints. Pegula/Black came in, got his plan for building a team with unrestrained resources and it went kablooey (sp?). My desire for a new GM is to find the next Chiarelli/Shero/Yzerman. Dudley has had some success, but is he "that" much better than Regier? I'm not sure but I'm not convinced he would be.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  #39
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
My only concern with the whole "even if they lost every game" for the rest of the season bit is...what kind of player would want to come here as a UFA for a team that sits on their hands?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  #40
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I don't totally disagree with that, but in his case he resigned and negotiated release from his deal to take the Toronto job.

Unless Duds did the same, he'd need Toronto's permission just to interview in season.
I don't disagree that the Sabres would have to get permission to talk to any person that is under contract to another team (and that has to happen in-season or during the off season as long as the person is under contract).

I just doubt that Burke would deny the Sabres permission to talk to Dudley.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
  #41
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
As far as when you make front office moves, the real downtime is after the trade deadline as you have the ramp up to the draft and UFA during the playoffs.

I would expect teams to be more open to letting people look in March as opposed to waiting until the season is over and the draft and UFA are weeks away.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
  #42
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
My only concern with the whole "even if they lost every game" for the rest of the season bit is...what kind of player would want to come here as a UFA for a team that sits on their hands?
It's largely about the money.

Besides, if there is a new GM and a new coach in place, they'll sell the culture change angle big time to UFAs.

Although, how many UFAs are the Sabres going to be after this summer?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:57 AM
  #43
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
As far as when you make front office moves, the real downtime is after the trade deadline as you have the ramp up to the draft and UFA during the playoffs.

I would expect teams to be more open to letting people look in March as opposed to waiting until the season is over and the draft and UFA are weeks away.
And, of course, there will be back-channel, third-party type inquiries going on as well. If the Sabres hire a new GM, they'll have a decide idea of who is interested in the job.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
  #44
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it but would rather wait until the off season to screen more candidates. Since more will be available then.


Two questions

1) how would you feel if they got his team to go on a run and miss out on a lottey pick?

2) I think Dudley is a sharp hockey guy. But to my knowledge he has never been a successful GM. Why so gung ho to hire him? Is it just because he isnt Darcy?
1. I'd hate it. However, I think don't think any in season move returns immediate improvement. It would take time. By the time they POSSIBLY started turning things around, it would be deadline day, and I would expect such a drastic change as GM/Coach getting fired would mean rebuild, in which a lot of our veteran talent would and should be sold off. So, it doesn't worry me.... im more worried that a healthy team, in the system they've been in forever, turn it around on their own...

2. I think Dudley is a sharp hockey guy too. He's respected around the league as such. And he's been involved in franchises that turned things around. Never for the entire time, never at the head of the ship. But his fingerprints are on Cups in Tampa and Chicago.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  #45
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
My only concern with the whole "even if they lost every game" for the rest of the season bit is...what kind of player would want to come here as a UFA for a team that sits on their hands?
The Sabres have no business being in the UFA market this coming offseason.

When the Sabres rebuild a contender, and the owner continues to demonstrate his willingess to spend, and word about the quality of ownership/amenities/life spread.... UFAs will return, when the time is right

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
  #46
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The Sabres have no business being in the UFA market this coming offseason.

When the Sabres rebuild a contender, and the owner continues to demonstrate his willingess to spend, and word about the quality of ownership/amenities/life spread.... UFAs will return, when the time is right
There's not much in this class that helps us anyways, when you look at the list and the biggest name that pops out as a guy who I really want on the team is J. Stoll...that's not a good thing.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
  #47
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'd be all for it if they decide they need to tear-down and retool -- which is still my personal preference. Playing a guy like Adam 4 minutes a night isn't good for his long-term development even if right now it's better for the team to keep the rookie away from making a mess. The build direction would either have him sent down or getting some serious OJT. They're going to have to live with those mistakes if the OJT is in Buffalo and that's going to cost them goals (and games) at times.

They need to finally try to maximize returns on pending UFA's, something Regier has shown no ability/willingness to do most years. Take the roster hit, load up the system. They need bluechippers at multiple positions, the more picks the more ammo to trade up on draft day. Letting any of the UFA's walk -- other than Brochen who likely has no trade value right now due to his latest concussion -- is not good asset management. They need to improve their asset pool.

Since they haven't shown an ability to adapt to unfettered funding and support from ownership, I don't know if a direction from above to retrench/build/tool for the future would get through any better than what they had this season.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
  #48
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,577
vCash: 500
Fine, leave Regier in place. Just watch him further screw this franchise at the trade deadline.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
  #49
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'd be all for it if they decide they need to tear-down and retool -- which is still my personal preference. Playing a guy like Adam 4 minutes a night isn't good for his long-term development even if right now it's better for the team to keep the rookie away from making a mess. The build direction would either have him sent down or getting some serious OJT. They're going to have to live with those mistakes if the OJT is in Buffalo and that's going to cost them goals (and games) at times.

They need to finally try to maximize returns on pending UFA's, something Regier has shown no ability/willingness to do most years.
Take the roster hit, load up the system. They need bluechippers at multiple positions, the more picks the more ammo to trade up on draft day. Letting any of the UFA's walk -- other than Brochen who likely has no trade value right now due to his latest concussion -- is not good asset management. They need to improve their asset pool.

Since they haven't shown an ability to adapt to unfettered funding and support from ownership, I don't know if a direction from above to retrench/build/tool for the future would get through any better than what they had this season.
OJT : Took me almost a minute to put that one together

to his credit, he did sell Campbell while they were in the thick of a playoff push

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
  #50
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The Sabres have no business being in the UFA market this coming offseason.

When the Sabres rebuild a contender, and the owner continues to demonstrate his willingess to spend, and word about the quality of ownership/amenities/life spread.... UFAs will return, when the time is right
No #1 centers this year? Honest question, I haven't looked.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.