HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Team Finland @ 2013 World Junior Championships

Old
01-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Needles

vCash: 500
Team Finland @ 2013 World Junior Championships

I think it's time to get the speculation going here as well. We were so close reaching the gold medal game this year but it wasn't to be. We will lose two awesome players in Granlund & Pulkkinen but fortunately there's some good talent in the pipeline. Especially our defense is likely to be stronger next year.

There's not going to be any drama in our goalie department this year. Richard Ullberg and Samu Perhonen are very likely our playing goalies, Ullberg being the starter.

In defense only significant loss is Jani Hakanpää. Ristolainen and Pokka will be even better next year and hopefully Olli Määttä is healthy. Joonas Valkonen was the last defenseman cut this year, so he has a good chance. Then it gets tricky. Henri Auvinen, Mikko Lehtonen & Mikko Vainonen have already played in SM-Liiga. Esa Lindell has been on fire in A-juniors (6th in scoring!). Patrik Parkkonen has played well in WHL...

Our offense should be at least pretty decent next year, although we lost Mikke, Pulu and Ruuttu. Donskoi wasn't that good this year so I wouldn't consider him as a huge loss. Armia, Salomäki, Ma Granlund, Aaltonen, Hännikäinen and Barkov will return and form a nice core. Teuvo Teräväinen's absence caused controversy this year but he will be in the team in 2013. At the moment, Toni Kallela is the leading scrored in A-juniors , Kalle Kossila's having a good year and both Ikonens (Juuso & Henri) have already played in SM-Liiga. In grinding department, Sami Salminen and Teemu Henritius could be good options. And I'm iterested to see what Artturi Lehkonen & Kalle Torniainen can do in the next 10-11 months.

And then there's the coaching issue. Like I've said before, I don't want to see Raipe behind the bench. The result this year was acceptable but the lack of system wasn't.

My prediction:

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Juuso Ikonen - Aleksander Barkov - Teuvo Teräväinen
Henri Ikonen - Miro Aaltonen - Toni Kallela
Sami Salminen - Tomi Wilenius - Markus Hännikäinen
Artturi Lehkonen

Olli Määttä - Ville Pokka
Joonas Valkonen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Henri Auvinen - Mikko Vainonen
Esa Lindell

Richard Ullberg
Samu Perhonen
Ville Husso

Coach: Jarno Pikkarainen

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:40 PM
TheHumbleOne

Salomäki (C) - Granlund - Armia
Aaltonen - Barkov - Teräväinen
Kallela - Ikonen - Lehkonen
Hännikäinen - Wilenius - Henritius
Kulmala

Määttä - Ristolainen
Pokka - Lehtonen
Vainonen - Auvinen
Parkkonen

Ullberg
Perhonen

TheHumbleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
edd1e

I think the team will be better than this year. Ok we lost Granlund, but new guys are stepping in with one year older D. This team doesnt worry me one bit. Only coaching worries me.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Needles

According to two different sources (Urheilulehti and now Iltalehti), Raimo Helminen will be Ilves' new head coach. So obviously Kummola & co will have to hire a new head coach for the U20s. A-P Selin won't be available since he will be coaching HPK next year.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Anyone else listening YLE Puhe for the SM-liiga round? Did they just say Kai Suikkanen is going to take over the U-20 Lions or that they'd want him to take over that team?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Anyone else listening YLE Puhe for the SM-liiga round? Did they just say Kai Suikkanen is going to take over the U-20 Lions or that they'd want him to take over that team?
It would be awesome. IMO Suikkanen is best Finnish coach.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
It would be awesome. IMO Suikkanen is best Finnish coach.
I would like to have a full time coach, so Erkka Westerlund with multi-year contract would be awesome. Unfortunately he is retiring.

If Suikkanen gets/takes the job, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Suikkanen could use some experience from short international tournaments, since he is the #1 candidate to be Jukka Jalonen's successor.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
http://areena.yle.fi/audio/1327608871725

You can relisten it here. I tried to see if I could catch it, but finding a single soundbite like that from a four-hour recording is quite hard. Since Jussi apparently knows when it was (about), perhaps he could have better luck with it.

As for the prospect of someone like Suikkanen coaching the U20, I have two words: Oh, hell yes. (Wait... was that three?)

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumbleOne View Post
Parkkonen
Since the next WJC is held in Russia, it will be interesting to see how many NA based players make the team. It's very likely that Olli Määttä will be the only one.

Old
01-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Muuri

Ari-Pekka Selin could be the next coach. He said he has three very good options on his table for the next season. Two of them are most likely HPK's and Ilves' but I wouldn't be surprised if third one is from Kummola.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:49 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

It's funny really. Instead of figuring out the best possible candidate, at this moment most of us appear to be happy if we just get a guy who's got experience and, you know, an actual system.

Of course, while the team will be short one Granlund, it's possibly even more skilled otherwise than this year so maybe that's all what's required to have a truly good one.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Needles

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mmkiekko/m...445691090.html

Kummola would like to have a full-time coach and lists some characteristics:
Quote:
Haemme sellaista henkilöä, joka pystyy tuollaista joukkuetta koutsaamaan ja tietyllä tavalla opettamaan nuoria pelaajia. Tämän valmentajan pitää olla myös henkisesti vahva. Eli haettavalla valmentajalla pitää olla juuri ne ominaisuudet, jotka hyvältä valmentajalta yleensä löytyvätkin.
Just wondering, could Ismo Lehkonen be a possible candidate? He has nice CV and is unemplyed at the moment. Although there's been some rumors that he will be coaching TuTo next year.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
We're looking for a person, who can coach this kind of team and teach young players a new trick or two. The coach should also needs to be mentally strong. In summary, he needs to have the exact properties that make up a good coach.
Here's a free hint, Kale: try adding some "experience".

Ika Lehkonen is also the head coach of Estonian national team. I think the IIHF rules say something about a person coaching two different national entities at once, even if the other is merely a junior team.

His brother however should be available, since he apparently isn't intent on coaching HPK past this spring.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:29 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
His brother however should be available, since he apparently isn't intent on coaching HPK past this spring.
Coming back to this idea roughly three weeks later, it's starting to look like something I'd definitely like to see expanded.

Lehkonen has himself stated that he has no major desires to coach men full time because he feels he can get so much more out of juniors and intends to go back to being HPK's junior coaching manager once this season is a wrap.

So we have a guy who has no day-to-day rinkside duties as a coach + has stated on the record that he finds juniors far more interesting than men + can still organize a game plan in the matter of days even in a highly competitive environment + already has experience from coaching on NT level = pretty much the perfect coach for a high-level junior tournament?

Of course, I'm not exactly sure how busy he is day in day out with coordinating just one club's juniors as is, but the Gungan or whoever is responsible for hiring the WJC coach would be pretty thick if they don't at least give him a call.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post

So we have a guy who has no day-to-day rinkside duties as a coach + has stated on the record that he finds juniors far more interesting than men + can still organize a game plan in the matter of days even in a highly competitive environment + already has experience from coaching on NT level
+ was basically fired by the same guy who hires the next U20 coach. I have nothing against Lehkonen, but this scenario seems unlikely. When Kummola puts you in his naughty list, you're there for good.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:12 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
+ was basically fired by the same guy who hires the next U20 coach. I have nothing against Lehkonen, but this scenario seems unlikely. When Kummola puts you in his naughty list, you're there for good.
...and for one, it's not ME who is the cynic. Oh, the irony.

Though in his defense I must still state that I don't think we have quite the another Raato Summanen here.

Old
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Needles

Right now our team is looking "pretty" good:

Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Juuso Ikonen - Aleksander Barkov - Teuvo Teräväinen
Rasmus Kulmala - Miro Aaltonen - Artturi Lehkonen

Olli Määttä - Ville Pokka
Joonas Valkonen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Henri Auvinen - Mikko Vainonen

Richard Ullberg

Old
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Needles

Has anyone heard anything about the coaching situation?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Harikkerk

Which NHL players are connected?

Harikkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
TheRocket87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikkerk View Post
Which NHL players are connected?
You're in the wrong thread.

If not...

edit: this should help you out http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...153833&page=25

Last edited by TheRocket87: 04-23-2012 at 03:05 PM.
TheRocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
TheHumbleOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Since the next WJC is held in Russia, it will be interesting to see how many NA based players make the team. It's very likely that Olli Määttä will be the only one.
Parkkonen will play in Finland next year. Fact.

TheHumbleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Needles

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakiek...imessa-valittu

Harri Rindell is going to be the next coach. This will be a full time job, which is nice.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Eyelanders

My early prediction

Markus Granlund – Miikka Salomäki – Joel Armia
Artturi Lehkonen – Aleksander Barkov – Teuvo Teräväinen
Juuso Ikonen – Rasmus Kulmala – Henri Ikonen
Markus Hännikäinen – Miro Aaltonen – Teemu Henritius
Toni Kallela

Olli Määttä - Rasmus Ristolainen
Joonas Valkonen – Ville Pokka
Mikko Vainonen – Mikko Lehtonen
Esa Lindell

Richard Ullberg
Janne Juvonen
Samu Perhonen

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Not sure if I like Kiva-Harri for the job or not, but full-time job is certainly nice addition.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
Not sure if I like Kiva-Harri for the job or not, but full-time job is certainly nice addition.
Also he's an actual coach with years of experience coaching in SM-liiga and Elitserien. That's also a nice addition.

Edit: I love that they added Tomek Valtonen as the assistant coach. He's really done a good job lately with Jokerit juniors and he's a young guy who understands young players really well.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote