HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Hamilton: "If Darcy and Lindy are fired, it will NOT be during the season"

Old
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thahamer View Post
Like stated on WGR this morning... I am a bit afraid that the team improves, but falls short of playoffs. They use that as a reason why they shouldn't be ousted.
This is what I'm worried about as well....

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
It's basically impossible to sneak around the league and try to find sound replacements. Perhaps the Sabres see any pre-deadline firings (at the very least at the GM level) as a short-sighted step backwards. If the trade deadline isn't really a time to make franchse-altering trades, and if the "chains are off" credo has been modified, maybe it makes sense to wait and re-assess at the end of the year. I'm OK with Darcy managing the business through the end of the season. I'm not necessarily sold on Lindy being here to slap on the rally caps though (Miller's passive-aggressive comments about the team not adjusting were clearly directed at the coaching).

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
OJT : Took me almost a minute to put that one together

to his credit, he did sell Campbell while they were in the thick of a playoff push
Only time I am going to acall you smart jame. I still dont get OJT.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
No #1 centers this year? Honest question, I haven't looked.
none

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...762&feedID=695

Quote:
The two most important off-ice positions of any NHL franchise are the general manager and the head coach. GMs will be busy right up to the trade deadline and coaches will be feeling the pressure as the postseason draws closer. Which pair would you want leading your franchise? I rank the 30 NHL GM/coach combinations in the league:

16. Buffalo Sabres (Darcy Reiger/Lindy Ruff) The longest-tenured GM/coach combo in the league. The two have been together since 1997. In their second year, the Sabres advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals, losing to the Dallas Stars in six games. Remarkably, Buffalo compiled a 105-46-13 record from 2005-07, advancing to the Eastern Conference Finals in back-to-back years. Despite losing Danny Briere, Brian Campbell and Chris Drury to free agency, the organization has remained competitive. However, they overpaid dearly for former Flyer Ville Leino (six years, $27 million).

Biggest question mark moving forward: If the Sabres continue their losing ways, will Reiger or Ruff survive despite their long-term stability?
I'd love to hear what Pegula's response would be to his GM/coach combo being pretty mediocre and the 3rd best duo in the division.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
No #1 centers this year? Honest question, I haven't looked.
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

There aren't even any good #2 centers looking at this list.

Tuomo Ruutu and Jarret Stoll might be the two best UFA centers this year.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
This is what I'm worried about as well....
you know its goin to happen...10 pts out with 33 to play is still A LOT of time, especially when the teams in front of them/tied with them arent exactly world beaters...Winnipeg is pullin a Thrashers 2nd half dive, Canes will be sellin big time, Habs are kind of a mess (outside of last night), will the Cats stay in it or fade, even the Sens have played 3 more games, are they THAT good? NJ, TOR & TB who knows which way theyll go.

Buffalo will probably pick 13th again.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Havok89

Quote:
yea, give him 5 minutes to assess the situation...
What about keeping Regier in a scouting role? We've had real good success over the years with Darcy drafting.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I think this is uber obvious. You have to take the season as a whole. If, after all the games are played, are unhappy with the roster and performance, you have to think and consider what the best move(s) are.

Firing a GM and/or coach to placate the fans is almost never the right move.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
OJT : Took me almost a minute to put that one together

to his credit, he did sell Campbell while they were in the thick of a playoff push
That's the only outlier in his recent resume. McKee, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder (even Zhitnik if we go back pre-deadline) all were allowed to depart as UFA and could have yielded solid returns since good defensemen often do at the deadline. Forwards have been rarer outside of the co-caps, but his treatment of his pending UFA acquisitions has not seemingly changed in 10 years. Circumstances vary a bit for some (McKee particularly) but the rest were all in clear down years. Was it the expedience to make a playoff round for the old ownership or was it Regier's methodology? At this point, this coming deadline is likely his last test here of his abilities in that regard. I'm not encouraged he'll make deals, honestly. And it looks bleak -- real bleak.

01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
They're only 10 points out of a playoff spot. A hot streak could get them in contention in a hurry. If that happens I don't expect Regier or Ruff to be fired, even if they miss the playoffs by a few points. Pegula will cite the injuries and they'll be back next season. I think they have to finish the season the same way they've played for most of it to get their walking papers.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
They're only 10 points out of a playoff spot. A hot streak could get them in contention in a hurry. If that happens I don't expect Regier or Ruff to be fired, even if they miss the playoffs by a few points. Pegula will cite the injuries and they'll be back next season. I think they have to finish the season the same way they've played for most of it to get their walking papers.

They still sound like a defeated bunch who've tuned out their coach. Seeing that mess reel off any number of consecutive wins would be unusual.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They still sound like a defeated bunch who've tuned out their coach. Seeing that mess reel off any number of consecutive wins would be unusual.
Ah, you beat me to it. Assuming they go on a hot streak still assumes that they are capable of going on a hot streak.

Right now that's really hard to believe, not even talking about timing that supposed streak with several other Eastern teams struggling concurrently.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it but would rather wait until the off season to screen more candidates. Since more will be available then.

Two questions

1) how would you feel if they got his team to go on a run and miss out on a lottey pick?

2) I think Dudley is a sharp hockey guy. But to my knowledge he has never been a successful GM. Why so gung ho to hire him? Is it just because he isnt Darcy?
Excellent questions.

1. Contrary to everyone else, I think that would be a lot better than tanking. People who think that tanking our way to the bottom and picking up someone like Grigorenko will allow us to bounce right back and be a contender next year are dreaming. I can't think of any teams that have successfully tanked for 1 season and bounced right back. Philly came closest, probably, but there were many reasons for that. What's more important, I think, is breaking out of the culture of losing. These guys are so beat down right now that they don't believe they can score a goal, let alone win a game. They are suffering from a severe lack of confidence on a team-wide basis. Doing that for a whole season could have long-lasting effects. On the other hand, if we start playing inspired hockey, we will be a lot better off next year. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make significant roster and coaching changes (we should), but we need this organization to get back to a climate - and expectation - of winning. Also, to the extent we might want to bring in any UFAs this summer, it will be a LOT easier if the team is perceived as a good team that went through a bad spell, as opposed to a hopelessly sucky team.

2. I agree, and I've posted about this before. I don't get the fascination with Dudley. I'd rather keep Darcy. Dudley bounces from team to team to team. What's so great about him?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
2. I agree, and I've posted about this before. I don't get the fascination with Dudley. I'd rather keep Darcy. Dudley bounces from team to team to team. What's so great about him?
I think there are plenty of people that want ABD [Anybody But Darcy].

Dudley was a player that played tough and people want a tough team.

Dudley has some decent management experience in the NHL.

I can see the attraction. But, I'd rather go a different route.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
(Miller's passive-aggressive comments about the team not adjusting were clearly directed at the coaching).
Is there a link to this, I want to read it

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's the only outlier in his recent resume. McKee, Spacek, Lydman, Tallinder (even Zhitnik if we go back pre-deadline) all were allowed to depart as UFA and could have yielded solid returns since good defensemen often do at the deadline. Forwards have been rarer outside of the co-caps, but his treatment of his pending UFA acquisitions has not seemingly changed in 10 years. Circumstances vary a bit for some (McKee particularly) but the rest were all in clear down years. Was it the expedience to make a playoff round for the old ownership or was it Regier's methodology? At this point, this coming deadline is likely his last test here of his abilities in that regard. I'm not encouraged he'll make deals, honestly. And it looks bleak -- real bleak.
How do you trade Lydman and Tallinder at the Deadline, when you are battling for a division title? Same with McKee heading into a playoff? Even Spacek was leaving after a playoff year?

I don't think it's fair to criticize Darcy for not selling off UFA in year's we were headed to the post season.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Excellent questions.

1. Contrary to everyone else, I think that would be a lot better than tanking. People who think that tanking our way to the bottom and picking up someone like Grigorenko will allow us to bounce right back and be a contender next year are dreaming. I can't think of any teams that have successfully tanked for 1 season and bounced right back. Philly came closest, probably, but there were many reasons for that. What's more important, I think, is breaking out of the culture of losing. These guys are so beat down right now that they don't believe they can score a goal, let alone win a game. They are suffering from a severe lack of confidence on a team-wide basis. Doing that for a whole season could have long-lasting effects. On the other hand, if we start playing inspired hockey, we will be a lot better off next year. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't make significant roster and coaching changes (we should), but we need this organization to get back to a climate - and expectation - of winning. Also, to the extent we might want to bring in any UFAs this summer, it will be a LOT easier if the team is perceived as a good team that went through a bad spell, as opposed to a hopelessly sucky team.

I don't think anyone thinks we are going to bounce right back after tanking. There is support for going into a rebuild (which getting Grigorenko) would facillitate imo

i dont understand people who think we will be much better off next year... just because it's next year. this core has failed for 5 years now...

Old
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks we are going to bounce right back after tanking. There is support for going into a rebuild (which getting Grigorenko) would facillitate imo

i dont understand people who think we will be much better off next year... just because it's next year. this core has failed for 5 years now...
If you read my whole post, you would see that I advocate making "significant roster and coaching changes." I just don't want to tank.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Is there a link to this, I want to read it
it was the same post-game where he made his "there isn't one trade that is going to turn this around" comment. He was saying "we didn't pay attn to the the details"...Using "we" when he means "they". Coach's job is the details.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
it was the same post-game where he made his "there isn't one trade that is going to turn this around" comment. He was saying "we didn't pay attn to the the details"...Using "we" when he means "they". Coach's job is the details.
That's really reading into that quote...

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
That's really reading into that quote...
OK. Not really.

Details....adapting...it's not on the players to identify the opposing forecheck, change breakouts, get better line matchups. That's the stuff Miller was talking about.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

That's fine with me, take their time over the summer and find the right guy if that's what they want to do. All that matters are good TDL deals and that top 3 draft pick.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
OK. Not really.

Details....adapting...it's not on the players to identify the opposing forecheck, change breakouts, get better line matchups. That's the stuff Miller was talking about.
completely agree. Ruff has been completely inept at adapting in game for his entire career. It's a huge factor in the last 2 playoff series his team's have lost.

Old
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
kirby11

Quote:
completely agree. Ruff has been completely inept at adapting in game for his entire career. It's a huge factor in the last 2 playoff series his team's have lost.
Wait...so you mean randomly changing lines 24/7 isn't the only way to adapt to what the other team does? That's a crazy suggestion

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote