HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

"Jeff Carter is 100% available."

Old
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
HSF

vCash: 500
is a team going to take a 10 year contract at the deadline?

the more i think about it the more i think it is a summer type deal :s

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
The problem is when hes 37 and still getting paid 5.2 The NTC is also a pain in the rear
Oh goodness, where to start?

5.3 million cap hit is below market for a consistent 30 goal scorer. When he's 37 he'll be getting paid 2 million. The year before, he'll get two million, and the year before that he'll get 3 million.

For the 3rd time, if he's traded before this summer the acquiring team does NOT have to honor his NTC.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartered View Post
What's the knock on his contract? To be honest I think that is the most overblown criticism of Carter's value as a player. You can knock him for being injury prone or for being unmotivated at times, but his contract really isn't as bad as making it out to be. The length is long and Carter will be with whatever team he is on until his late 30s, but the cap hit is absolutely a sweetheart deal at 5.273 million a season.

I mean, hell, Brooks Laich is making only a couple hundred thousand less. I think Carter's contract is going to look more and more realistic as time goes on.
Mostly the length because let's be honest who knows what happens between now and the end of the contract say he goes the way of Scott Gomez then a team like ours is screwed because we can't afford to bury him in the minors

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
The problem is when hes 37 and still getting paid 5.2 The NTC is also a pain in the rear
It's my understanding that when a player gets traded before the NTC goes into affect (Carter or Vishnovsky from the Kings back in the day), the acquiring team is not bound by the NTC.

If you look at how salaries have increased over the last 5 years - it seems pretty apparent to me that any fall-off in production would be more than offset by the increases in the cap causing the $5.2M to be even better. I do agree that the last year or two he might underperform his cap hit, but I think that's MORE than offset by the fact that he'd signficantly overperform for the next 8 years if healthy (IMO).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
predfan24

My offer:

To Preds:

Jeff Carter

To CBJ:

Jon Blum

Anders Lindback

1st

Conditional pick- 3rd if Preds win one round, 2nd- if Preds win 2 rounds, 1st if Preds win 3 rounds

Reasoning- Preds get their goal scorer they have been searching for. They are still taking a chance due to Carter's contract but they accept the risk to show Weber and Suter they are committed to winnning.

Columbus gets 3 quality assets and possibly a fourth as well. They get the type of cheap young prospects they need. A potential #1 goalie. They get Blum who is a good bet to be at worst a solid top 4 D-man who can play PP or PK. He also has the potential still to be a #2 in the mode of Dan Hamhuis if you will. Also, Columbus gets out from underneath Carter's contract which they must view as an albratross at this point.

It's a risk for both teams for sure being division rivals. CBJ is giving the Preds a legit goal scorer and the Preds potentially shore up CBJ's goaltending issues and help shore up their D. Preds are also giving up good young players they are easy on the wallet. I'm certain that is what CBJ is looking for.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Crisp Breakout

^ Solid offer

Old
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Oh goodness, where to start?

5.3 million cap hit is below market for a consistent 30 goal scorer. When he's 37 he'll be getting paid 2 million. The year before, he'll get two million, and the year before that he'll get 3 million.

For the 3rd time, if he's traded before this summer the acquiring team does NOT have to honor his NTC.
his NTC kicks in July 1st

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Schenn, Kadri and Leafs 2012 2nd......

Book it.
But that is also what you are giving for Parise and Getzlaf!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Leafs aren't interested, neither am I, a Playmaking Center is what the team needs.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
In 2005 the salary cap was $39 million. Six years later it is $64 million. A 60% increase in six years. You would have to think it likely that $5.2 million by the end of his contract will look more like the range of $2.5 million in today's cap space. I do not see the issue either, unless he gets significantly hurt, but not enough to retire. It seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
his NTC kicks in July 1st
Thanks. I'll revise... If a team acquires him before July 1st then they do not have to honor his NTC.

See post 140 for the CBA clause.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
But that is also what you are giving for Parise and Getzlaf!
We will find a way to get them all.
Burke is god.

Parise-Getzlaf-Kessel
Nash-Carter-Ryan

FEAR IT!

Last edited by TMI: 01-26-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: qdp and unnecessary anyway
Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Who knows what salaries will look like in 10 yrs... That could end up being a bargain. Salaries escalate every year,,just like cost of living.. Carter is a premier sniper who plays center.. He's got tons af value. He's struggled w/ injury and new enviroment this season, so fans on HF ofcourse offer garbage deals

Columbus should not give up on Carter yet. Let him get healthy. IF he indeed is unhappy in Columbus, they should look to trade for fair value.

A 27yr old sniper who's consistantly scored throughout his career is valuable. His career high is what 45 goals? Ya, please stop w/ these Kadri Grabovski offers,,its a joke of an offer

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
^ Solid offer
Agreed. If the Preds were willing to do that I'd think Columbus would be tempted.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'd be ok with Lindback, Blum, a first, and a conditional pick for Carter. The Preds get a definite #1 center on the team, which allows them to move either Legwand or Fisher to the third line or to a wing kicking Hornqvist out of the top six. It gives Columbus a d-prospect who is similar in style, if not yet talent, to Ryan Suter. A smart guy who can move the puck, plays solid defense, and can even put up some points. It also gives them a goalie prospect with similar attributes to Rinne. Tall, athletic, quick. He has been coached by Mitch Korn for two years, which is a huge positive to any goalie. Then, they get a definite first and at least a third. There is a good chance Nashville + Carter can make it to the second round, which makes the pick a second, and there is still a decent shot at it turning into a second first rounder.

Wilson Carter Hornqvist
SK Legwand Erat
Smith Fisher Halischuk
Tootoo Spaling Bourque

All four lines are a threat to score. All three lines can play at least some defense. Backed up by:

Weber Suter
Klein Josi
Ellis Hillen (we really need to work a deal for a gritty, SAH defenseman with some size for the bottom pair, too)

Make it happen, Poile

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
On a team that ISN'T struggling, he'd be well worth that 5.3 mil.
Yeah.

People see the 5.3M over 10 years as bad but I think it's pretty good, given how salaries are going to be rising by quite a bit - we might see 40-50 point guys getting paid as much as Carter near the end of his contract.

He needs to be in a good team, though - the reason why he signed the contract was to stay in Philly, but got shipped to Columbus. Can't imagine he's still thrilled about it.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
If he's producing 30 goals still at that rate you can't complain. Otherwise if he's down to 15-20 goals, dump him to some team that needs to get to the cap floor at that time. I'm sure his NTC has some term to it how it becomes a modified(10 teams he refuses to go to) or eliminated after a certain year of his deal.
Thats a big IF.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree with your logic but, would you give up a package equal to Voracek/Coutourier for Carter RIGHT NOW?
Easy answer would be No. That's because Coutourier is now a known entity. If you asked Voracek and a 1st I would say absolutely. I think the additional 3rd wouldn't be recouped. The reality is the 8th pick wasn't known at the time of the trade. Columbus didn't trade Voracek and Coutourier. That's what it turned out to be.

Just like others have said, trading Carter before the deadline is highly unlikely. That pick could end up being #5 as easily as #18 right now. So if it ends up he gets traded and the team he's traded to drops into a top 5 pick does that mean Columbus stole the trade? It might end up that way in this example but going in the value was based on unknowns.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Amateur Hour

Jeff Carter is a ****ing loser. I couldn't even contain my happiness the day Homer shipped his overrated ass out of town, especially since I was so devastated by the possibility that he'd remain with the Flyers for the next decade. Three to five years from now, the Carter for Couturier, Voracek, and Cousins trade will be looked back upon as one of the best in team history -- something on par with or a tier below Recchi for LeClair and Desjardins.

That said, he has the potential to be a dominant player when motivated... key word being "when," which is almost never.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Dishy

With Jeff Carter, the Blue Jackets are 9-16-5. Without him, they are 4-14-1. It's very obvious that he brings some positives to the team... Those saying that he is not worth his contract are crazy, and I'm a Flyers fan that never really cared for Carter.

At 5.3 mil, he is a bargain (when healthy, obviously).

Dishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Could be wrong but I really don't see Jeff Carter as a Poile/Trotz kind of player. Poile builds from within (look at how much of their roster is homegrown..) or, when acquiring players externally, seems to look for players who are very undervalued (Kostitsyn, Hillen) or fit the team mentality very well (Fisher).

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:25 PM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
what about something based around the following:

MTL - Jeff Carter
Columbus - Tomas Plekanec + pick/prospect

Montreal gets a bigger center who can score goals, Columbus gets a shorter contract and better two way player, who should have better success with Rick Nash

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Could be wrong but I really don't see Jeff Carter as a Poile/Trotz kind of player. Poile builds from within (look at how much of their roster is homegrown..) or, when acquiring players externally, seems to look for players who are very undervalued (Kostitsyn, Hillen) or fit the team mentality very well (Fisher).
Poile does like to build from within. When he takes the FA/trade route it is to plug a hole. Right now the biggest holes are in the top six and bottom pairing. I don't think a move for Carter would be uncharacteristic. It would not be a move made out of desperation just to show that is doing something. It would be a move to improve the team made up of mostly homegrown players.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
what about something based around the following:

MTL - Jeff Carter
Columbus - Tomas Plekanec + pick/prospect

Montreal gets a bigger center who can score goals, Columbus gets a shorter contract and better two way player, who should have better success with Rick Nash
You should put Gionta in the mix too just because Carter's contract is ridiculous. I mean the guy will be paid till 2020 or something.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You should put Gionta in the mix too just because Carter's contract is ridiculous. I mean the guy will be paid till 2020 or something.
Or deny it bc it fills no needs. We'll take Blum Lindback and a 1st thank you very much.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote