HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
That's a pretty amazing job, I must say. Wonder if any other teams have that going?
Unlikely. What's his salary, $1.15 or something? That's over $100K for each of the 9 players on his list! He's making more to mentor them than they're making!

Old
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
North Americans with the same ability as Germans are way cheaper therefor every team carries the allowed maximum of non-German players. It's Ingolstadt btw.
How does that work? Shouldn't it be more?

Chris Pryor was on WIP before the game last night, and Rob Ellis asked him to name someone on the Phantoms, something along the lines of making an impact, or something to that degree. Basically, single someone out. He named Oliver Lauridsen as someone who he sees getting some time next season.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Supply and demand, basically. Hockey isn't a major sport in Germany, we don't have many rinks or clubs and we don't produce many players. Those Germans who have the same ability as a former NHL player or an AHL standout are rare, while North America produces many players who don't reach the NHL or don't get another contract and look for a job in Europe (Scandinavian and Eastern European Leagues have stricter limits for foreign players). Most of them reach the DEL and due to the number of them, they are cheaper than Germans at the same level.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Chris Pryor was on WIP before the game last night, and Rob Ellis asked him to name someone on the Phantoms, something along the lines of making an impact, or something to that degree. Basically, single someone out. He named Oliver Lauridsen as someone who he sees getting some time next season.
good to hear. honestly from camp i thought he looked good but in the couple phantoms games i saw this year he has been underwhelming.

Old
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
good to hear. honestly from camp i thought he looked good but in the couple phantoms games i saw this year he has been underwhelming.
Watching MAB do so well at the NHL, I now call into question the ability to watch Phantoms games and know who a good defensemen will be at the next level, especially non-point producer. Tim McManus said the AHL lends itself to more chaos in the defensive zone than the a more structured NHL so the games are almost entirely different on the back end.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:13 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Watching MAB do so well at the NHL, I now call into question the ability to watch Phantoms games and know who a good defensemen will be at the next level, especially non-point producer. Tim McManus said the AHL lends itself to more chaos in the defensive zone than the a more structured NHL so the games are almost entirely different on the back end.
MAB hasn't been that great... #6 / fringe NHLer @ best thus far IMO. I wouldn't say he's doing "well" @ the NHL level. Gustafsson on the other hand... he's looked like something a bit more than a #6.

Old
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Tim McManus - the writer you mention and head of coverage for the team - has also told me that he has always suspected Kevin Marshall's game would translate better than Marc-Andre Bourdon's, to the National Hockey League. That is to say, with more seasoning of course. But he seems to think Kevin Marshall would excel as a stay-at-home defenseman in a structured defensive system - something we're lacking now.

Also, through his Twitter feed, he is really high on Ben Holmstrom this year. Holmstrom was made captain - at a relatively young age and with relatively little professional experience - and has apparently changed his game quite a bit. He is consistently commenting on his toughness and his frequent defense of teammates. Holmstrom may be a fourth line center at best, but I have always been intrigued by this player.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Hey all - I see you're prolly occupied w/ the Philly game but you can also catch Adirondack @ Binghamton http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=42920021 and I'm streaming the game too.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Ryker

Have the Flyers given up on Lehtivuori or do they plan on bringing him over again?

Old
01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Have the Flyers given up on Lehtivuori or do they plan on bringing him over again?
We terminated his contract. He's done.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
He isn't Flyers property anymore, he was waived and released.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Ryker

Ah OK, thanks. I saw that he was still listed in the moving prospects ticker above, so I thought he's still with us.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Flyerfan4life

so Leights got the start in the AHL allstar game.

played a good period with some great saves including one cross crease sliding pad stack that the crowd loved..

east over west 6-2 at first break.

surprized im getting this game on my local HD provider. wasnt expecting to get to watch it all.

i almost never get ahl games on tv

grats to Leighton for going and playing well.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:16 AM
FlyersFan61290

Akeson continues to lead the Phantoms in pts w/ 35 (9 goals 26 assists) in 46 games. He has a 6pt lead over the second leading scorer on the team, Hamel. He's on pace for 16 goals and 45 assists for 62 pts in the AHL's 80 game season.

Old
02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Akeson continues to lead the Phantoms in pts w/ 35 (9 goals 26 assists) in 46 games. He has a 6pt lead over the second leading scorer on the team, Hamel. He's on pace for 16 goals and 45 assists for 62 pts in the AHL's 80 game season.
What are the chances he sees a few games with the flyers this year?

Old
02-05-2012, 06:20 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Give Akeson another full year in the AHL and he'll be ready. I'm not sure what position he's playing with the Phantoms, but he'll have to play on the wing with the big club and can easily see him on a line with either Schenn or Couturier.

I always liked the Akeson signing and thought he was one of the more underrated junior free agents they signed. Keeping him in Adirondack for two seasons is the ideal way to bring him along. He'll get to work on his skating and he'll be conditioned properly.

I know Akeson has been compared to Kris Versteeg, but from what I've seen with regards to Akeson, his overall game looks very similar to that of Adam Oates. He might not be the pure passer that Oates was, but he's got great vision. Once the skating is up to par, he'll be worth the wait.

Old
02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
What are the chances he sees a few games with the flyers this year?
Idk but I'm sure he'll be one of the "Black Aces" come playoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Give Akeson another full year in the AHL and he'll be ready. I'm not sure what position he's playing with the Phantoms, but he'll have to play on the wing with the big club and can easily see him on a line with either Schenn or Couturier.

I always liked the Akeson signing and thought he was one of the more underrated junior free agents they signed. Keeping him in Adirondack for two seasons is the ideal way to bring him along. He'll get to work on his skating and he'll be conditioned properly.

I know Akeson has been compared to Kris Versteeg, but from what I've seen with regards to Akeson, his overall game looks very similar to that of Adam Oates. He might not be the pure passer that Oates was, but he's got great vision. Once the skating is up to par, he'll be worth the wait.
Yeah, I agree another yr in the AHL will do him good. I would like to see him get a few games in the NHL this yr and next just to give him a taste so to speak.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Yeah, I agree another yr in the AHL will do him good. I would like to see him get a few games in the NHL this yr and next just to give him a taste so to speak.
Akeson's going to have a tough time cracking the Flyer lineup until Briere leaves. We're already too small up front as it is, as many good sized guys as we have. For him to make it, he's going to have to beat out Reid, Briere or Giroux for a top 9 smurf spot. How likely is that, no matter how good he is in the A?

Last edited by Larry44: 02-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

So we got Wayne Stamkos Symmonds, and Adam oates. Bargain

Old
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Akeson's going to have a tough time cracking the Flyer lineup until Briere leaves. We're already too small up front as it is, and as many good sized guys as we have. For him to make it, he's going to have to beat out Reid, Briere or Giroux for a top 9 smurf spot. How likely is that, no matter how good he is in the A?
I get what your saying but if he's a 70 pt guy in the AHL next season I think they'll find a spot for him. By 2013-14 a lot can change too. Hartnell, Jagr, Jake and Simmonds will all have to be re-signed or a replacement has to be found before the 2013-14 season and then there is the possibility of trades (JVR has been in rumors non stop for a couple years now). IMO Coots and Schenn filling out there frames in the next couple years will help off set the loss of some of the big guys previously mentioned if in fact they are not on the roster. Also there is the age "factor", for lack of a better term, to consider. Akeson will be 23 turning 24 while Read will be 28 turning 29 and Danny B will be 36. I'm not saying they'll be too old but you never know, injuries or something may start to effect them by then. I guess additional year in the minors wouldn't hurt but if he plays well enough I think they'll be a spot available is all I'm saying.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 02-06-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

The only D-Men Bob McKenzie has in his 20-30 range are Brady Skjei and Matt Finn. Maatta, Rielly, Murray, Koekkoek, Dumba, Trouba, etc are all top 15

Craig Button's latest has Finn at 8, Ceci at 19, Koekkoek at 29, and Maatta at 41, Thrower at 49, and Skjei at 51

idk who to trust.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Hey what do you know, BCF with more ridiculous prospect hype.

Adam Oates? Ok...

Old
02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I'm excited about Cousins, but I just realized unless I can't do math, he has one more full year in juniors until he turns 20 and can go to the Phantoms.

Old
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I asked this in another thread, if we do get the 2nd for this year from Florida, I would suggest we stock pile D men for those first 3 picks. From what people have said so far on the current trends of who could be picked, what D-men could we possibly expect for us to pick?

Old
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I asked this in another thread, if we do get the 2nd for this year from Florida, I would suggest we stock pile D men for those first 3 picks. From what people have said so far on the current trends of who could be picked, what D-men could we possibly expect for us to pick?
From what I've seen/heard the rankings are all over the place and constantly changing. I think we still need to wait to get a more accurate idea as to where guys will land. But yeah I hope we go all D with the top picks too.

Anybody know when Florida has to decide by?

Closed Thread