HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Erixon

Old
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yev kassem View Post
I am a lurker on the rangers message board at Hockey Future. Some of the responses in this thead were so PUZZLING to me that I actually joined to respond. The people who are saying negative things about Tim Erixon; are they watching him play on a nightly basis in the AHL???????

The reason I say this is that before I saw this thread, I read something that Adam Rotter posted on the SNYRANGERSBLOG.

<< At ESPN Insider, Corey Pronman writes that Rangers defenseman Tim Erixon is one of the best prospects playing in the AHL.

He says that Erixon’s point per game pace in the AHL doesn’t even do him justice:

Erixon is logging huge minutes and playing at a very high-end level at both ends of the rink. His puck-moving skills and overall hockey sense are true plus abilities and he looks like the kind of player who will be able to play versus the opponents’ better players and still keep the play flowing in his team’s favor.

He also considers Erixon to be one of the best defense prospects playing outside the NHL right now.

He had some trouble with the size of the rink and physical play when he was with the team this season, but the reports from Hartford are still showing tremendous upside for Erixon.>>

Corey Pronman is a PRO when it comes to analyzing hockey prospect talent. He writes for ESPN for goodness sake! So, whose opinion do I listen closer to when it comes to Tim Erixon? Corey Pronman or some poster whom probably has barely seen Tim play?
I was just going to post that. Some people just draw their own conclusions with no basis on reality and go with it. I mean exactly how did Erixon not work out? He has all the tools to be a very good, if not excellent defenseman...but he needs time to get stronger and learn how to play on the NA ice surface. Why are prospects busts when they don't make the team out of camp as a rookie? Dmen don't hit their prime until their mid to late 20s...this kid is only 20, so the idea that he was overhyped and a bust is more than a bit confusing.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yev kassem View Post
I am a lurker on the rangers message board at Hockey Future. Some of the responses in this thead were so PUZZLING to me that I actually joined to respond. The people who are saying negative things about Tim Erixon; are they watching him play on a nightly basis in the AHL???????

The reason I say this is that before I saw this thread, I read something that Adam Rotter posted on the SNYRANGERSBLOG.

<< At ESPN Insider, Corey Pronman writes that Rangers defenseman Tim Erixon is one of the best prospects playing in the AHL.

He says that Erixon’s point per game pace in the AHL doesn’t even do him justice:

Erixon is logging huge minutes and playing at a very high-end level at both ends of the rink. His puck-moving skills and overall hockey sense are true plus abilities and he looks like the kind of player who will be able to play versus the opponents’ better players and still keep the play flowing in his team’s favor.

He also considers Erixon to be one of the best defense prospects playing outside the NHL right now.

He had some trouble with the size of the rink and physical play when he was with the team this season, but the reports from Hartford are still showing tremendous upside for Erixon.>>

Corey Pronman is a PRO when it comes to analyzing hockey prospect talent. He writes for ESPN for goodness sake! So, whose opinion do I listen closer to when it comes to Tim Erixon? Corey Pronman or some poster whom probably has barely seen Tim play?
Hockey writers have journalism majors. Not fighting majors.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Can someone tell me which part of the above comment was me criticizing Tim Erixon (and by proxy, Michal Roszival)? I was strictly making a comparison that they have very similar games, demeanors, and twitches. Some of you guys with your knee-jerk reactions. Holy moly.

If I wanted to knock a prospect I'd compare Kreider to Gaborik.
1. You can never resist. It's amazing.

2. If Kreider produces like Gaborik, I'll wet my pants over this team next year.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
1. You can never resist. It's amazing.

2. If Kreider produces like Gaborik, I'll wet my pants over this team next year.
If Kreider became Gaborik on the LW he'd be the steal of the draft. Don't know how you don't have him ignored yet.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
yev kassem

I have a daughter who went to the University of Michigan. I was lucky enough to see Carl Hagelin play at the Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor. I remember thinking that this kid has jets on his skates, but will not be able to hold up in the NHL because he is not big enough or strong enough. On the other hand, I saw chris Kreider play in the Beanpot tournament in Boston in 2010 at the TD Northbank Arena. My opinion of his was just the opposite of Hagelin. I thought that this kid is ready to play in the NHL now. IMHO, Kreider has the skating ability of hagelin, better hands and is 6'3" 230lbs. He is a FREAK of nature. It is rare that a kid of that size is such a strong and fast skater. In terms of Erixon, once again, I will go with the analysis of a PROFESSIONAL over the opinions of the people who post here! Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. When I think about my opinion of Hagelin and how he would never be an NHL player; I feel silly as he is now on the NHL rookie all star team..

yev kassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Can someone tell me which part of the above comment was me criticizing Tim Erixon (and by proxy, Michal Roszival)? I was strictly making a comparison that they have very similar games, demeanors, and twitches. Some of you guys with your knee-jerk reactions. Holy moly.
So Tim Erixon is pretty average on both ends of the ice and indecisive with the puck in the offensive zone then eh?

Michael Rozsival is done developing as a player... Is Tim Erixon done developing?

Can't help but feel you are only basing your opinion based on Erixon's limited NHL showing, which was not impressive... However if you watched the Traverse City Tournament, in which Erixon was one of the best defensemen on the ice, you'd know what type of game he's capable of bringing to the ice.... He needs more time to adjust and continue developing.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Tim Erixon will be a full time NY Ranger by this time next season, to stay. He will round out our top 6 perfectly.

And I can't help myself here; Kreider will never be the player Gaborik is. If he turns out to be Erik Cole it will be fantastic. But Gaborik is a top 20 winger in the league.

01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Tim Erixon will be a full time NY Ranger by this time next season, to stay. He will round out our top 6 perfectly.

And I can't help myself here; Kreider will never be the player Gaborik is. If he turns out to be Erik Cole it will be fantastic. But Gaborik is a top 20 winger in the league.
And you don't think Kreider has the potential of being a top 20 winger?

Yeah, I definitely think he has that potential. His physical gifts are off the charts.

Eric Cole? Really? Cuz they are both fast? Terrible comparison, imo.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 01-26-2012 at 01:32 PM.
KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post

Yeah, I definitely think he has that potential. His physical gifts are off the charts.

Eric Cole? Really? Stop
His hockey IQ is on the charts, and not very high at that... Physical tools alone won't get the job done... Have you watched BC much? Kreider has a lot of work/developing to do if he's going to be a consistent high end forward at the NHL level.

People should temper their expectations a bit.... Remember when Anisimov was going to be a 70+ point 1st line Center?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He doesn't need to though.
I agree. My contention is with those who are penciling him into the top-6 for next year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post

Eric Cole? Really? Stop
What's so bad about Erik Cole? In his prime he was a consistent 30-30 power forward with blazing speed. Without injuries, he might have had a 35-35 season as well. And this year he isn't doing too bad either (he'd be tied with Gaborik for the team lead in points).

If Kreider can turn into a healthy and consistant Erik Cole type of player (maybe also being a bit more physical), then that's great value for a 19th pick and certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
NYR Viper

I actually think Erik Cole is the PERFECT comparison for Kreider. If Kreider becomes Erik Cole that is a BIG win for the Rangers. He is a top-line LWer.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

No, I don't believe Kreider will become a top 20 winger. And yes, if he becomes Erik Cole (Who I believe is the ideal comparison, mind you, Cole did much better in the NCAA) that would be ideal.

The fact that we fans often list Kreider as "untouchable" in deals for superstars does not make him any more valuable than he is.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree. My contention is with those who are penciling him into the top-6 for next year.
I wonder if those are the same fans who were "penciling in Richards for 90+ points" when he was signed?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If Kreider became Gaborik on the LW he'd be the steal of the draft. Don't know how you don't have him ignored yet.
When he's not talking about Gaborik, it's not awful. Watching MSG find roundabout ways to work Gabby into something is kinda funny at this point.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
mullichicken25

we all pencil a lot of players in for a lot of things

why do we need to make everything so definative all the time?

why not just say that both Krieder and Erixon aren't perfect could end up being pretty good pros?

with any prospect there's always a degree of "lets see what happens"...and picking where the rangers have been picking for the last 5 years or so, consistantly snagging "pretty good pros" is a hell of an accomplishment

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
we all pencil a lot of players in for a lot of things

why do we need to make everything so definative all the time?

why not just say that both Krieder and Erixon aren't perfect could end up being pretty good pros?

with any prospect there's always a degree of "lets see what happens"...and picking where the rangers have been picking for the last 5 years or so, consistantly snagging "pretty good pros" is a hell of an accomplishment
If you guys want some amusement go back a few years on this board and look at who was being penciled in. It's pretty funny. Hindsight being 20/20 of course.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
OverTheCap

Erixon is not a McDonagh or Del Zotto who can step into the NHL almost immediately and make an impact. He needs time to adjust to the North American game and once he does he'll be fine.

As for Kreider, the expectations for him are becoming unreasonable. I have to shake my head every time I see him penciled on the top line for next season. He may decide to return to BC. He may turn pro and start the season in the AHL. Or he may make the team and start on the bottom 6 and be forced to earn his way into the top 6, just like every other Rangers homegrown forward has before him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
He's basically a poor-man's Sauer who fights...
If he is willing to be a cheap #7, I'd keep him around...
Terrible comparison. Sauer is so much more talented, is an underrated skater with better than average offensive instincts. In addition, Sauer fights too. there is no comparison between these two players aside from them being right handed D-men with good size.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
This guys gonna be a project he has the tools but does everything a little to slow and to casually. But i think he has hope lol, maybe next year or 2 years i see him making it.
He is the antithesis of a project. He has all the skills and the smarts. All he needs is more strength and an acclimation to the N/A game. He will be on the roster next October if not before; not a project. McIlrath is a project.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
No, I don't believe Kreider will become a top 20 winger. And yes, if he becomes Erik Cole (Who I believe is the ideal comparison, mind you, Cole did much better in the NCAA) that would be ideal.

The fact that we fans often list Kreider as "untouchable" in deals for superstars does not make him any more valuable than he is.
He's untouchable because his physical tools are so rare. And although many claim his hockey sense isn't great, let's see how he adapts to the pro game. Some guys are actually better suited for the bigger, faster NHL game than the college or Junior game. He could be one of those guys. When you look at this natural assets, skating, size, shot, passing skills (he's a very good passer) you have to want to see it play out with the big club before considering moving him. He could be a 3rd line LW or he could be Cam Neely with better wheels and without the pugilism. For one, I want to see it play out in NY.

Old
01-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I actually think Erik Cole is the PERFECT comparison for Kreider. If Kreider becomes Erik Cole that is a BIG win for the Rangers. He is a top-line LWer.
Same here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
He's untouchable because his physical tools are so rare. And although many claim his hockey sense isn't great, let's see how he adapts to the pro game. Some guys are actually better suited for the bigger, faster NHL game than the college or Junior game. He could be one of those guys. When you look at this natural assets, skating, size, shot, passing skills (he's a very good passer) you have to want to see it play out with the big club before considering moving him. He could be a 3rd line LW or he could be Cam Neely with better wheels and without the pugilism. For one, I want to see it play out in NY.
We will see if his work ethic and overall energy on the ice improves in the pro game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Tim Erixon was a victim of hype. He didn't live up to it. I'm not really interested in him right now. If he gets significantly better in the minors he'll be back someday. If not, he'll be dumped like the warehouse full of others before him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Del Zotto is such a bust. Sure he had a great 1st season but come his sophmore year, he couldn't live up to his 1st round draft pick billing. Got sent to the minors where he'll probably stay until we trade him.

Ahhh, the perfect post for me to answer.

You all conveniently forget when the Rangers first acquired Erixon how this board exploded that he was "the real deal" and how he was going to step in and be what Del Zotto was supposed to be and Del Zotto may as well pack his bags.

I have been a big Del Zotto supporter since he came up. I didn't know Erixon from a hole in the wall. He was supposedly skating glove in glove with Adam Larsson, the next Niedermayer. But he was obviously not NHL ready and all his superfans suddenly weren't touting him anymore. Right now, I'm not counting on him for anything. If he develops, that's great. But I'm not believing the hype here again.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Erixon is not a McDonagh or Del Zotto who can step into the NHL almost immediately and make an impact. He needs time to adjust to the North American game and once he does he'll be fine.

As for Kreider, the expectations for him are becoming unreasonable. I have to shake my head every time I see him penciled on the top line for next season. He may decide to return to BC. He may turn pro and start the season in the AHL. Or he may make the team and start on the bottom 6 and be forced to earn his way into the top 6, just like every other Rangers homegrown forward has before him.
On Erixon, if Mike Sauer is healthy, I think that he should spend another full season with the Whale to develop, especially to learn the defensive end of the ice. His offensive game is there (20 points in 24 games, but a -4), and because he will be at best a third-pair defenseman next year. He could be an interesting trade chip for a team that might be looking for a Top 4 defensive prospect.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote