HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Antero Niitymaki placed on waivers

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

vCash: 500
Antero Niitymaki placed on waivers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386047

I know we're playing well right now, but is there any benefit in claiming him if Garon and Roloson both falter again?

Old
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50
Just claim him already!

Old
01-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Might as well. Sharks put him on for the purpose of being claimed so why the hell not?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
MrMcGz

Couldn't hurt for some injury insurance. Are his hips healed?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Bolts265

Do we really need another retread? Rather see us get the guy from St. Louis on the cheap.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Do we really need another retread? Rather see us get the guy from St. Louis on the cheap.
Nitty is an upgrade over Roli and Garon. We've seen first hand instances where Nitty can get unconsciously hot and who knows maybe he could do it again.

It's an upgrade without having to give up assets, which is SFY's main problem with trying to upgrade the goalies is that he doesn't want to trade assets for another fix. He doesn't have to here.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
MrMcGz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Nitty is an upgrade over Roli and Garon. We've seen first hand instances where Nitty can get unconsciously hot and who knows maybe he could do it again.

It's an upgrade without having to give up assets, which is SFY's main problem with trying to upgrade the goalies is that he doesn't want to trade assets for another fix. He doesn't have to here.
Also remember how dysfunctional this entire organization was when he was here. It's low risk depth for a waiver claim. Definitely worth it.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20092010

Plus he's money against ATL/WIN.

Also would be a great mentor for our 2006 first rounder. RIKU!

Old
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Bolts265

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post

OK you convinced me do you want to call SFY or should I?

Old
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
IdealisticSniper

I wouldnt mind if we claimed it. It would also free us up to trade Roloson for a late pick (maybe) to a playoff team wanting to upgrade their backup goaltender to a veteran playoff performer. Its possible.

I like Niitty. Hes also money against the entire SE division which would be helpful. Hes not an amazing goalie but he rarely lets in the soft soft goal.

Id be fine with a claim.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Im just concerned for his injuries, recently had a surgery.

01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Bolt32

Claim him, we can use the upgrade in net.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
tomppaaax Matias Strozyk
Niittymäki to MTV3: "I'm on waivers? Nobody told me anything or called me." Was driving to Lake Tahoe with his family. #NHL #Sharks

tomppaaax Matias Strozyk
Niittymäki: "It's not a surprise. There was some talk yesterday. I'm glad they did it and are trying to do something." #NHL #Sharks

tomppaaax Matias Strozyk
Niittymäki: "I don't want to be in this organization at all anymore, nothing wrong with city. Glad they did it, hope somebody picks me up."

tomppaaax Matias Strozyk
Niittymäki: "I'm not the hottest name in market and my salary isn't on my side either. 2M is big money for someone who hasn't played much."
https://twitter.com/#!/tomppaaax

Old
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
I'd pass but I wouldn't care if we claimed him back and do what we did with Andreychuk to Roloson.

01-25-2012, 09:45 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Niittymaki had off-season hip surgery and just started skating again in December. While on conditioning assignment with the AHL Worcester Sharks, he played 5 games, went 2-3-0 with a 3.01 GAA and .890 sv%. Seems a bit of a risk, especially given it was his second hip surgery.

SJS goalies are Niemi who is 21-10-5 with a 2.30 GAA and .918 sv% and Greiss who is 6-4-1 with a 1.98 GAA and .927 sv%.

If the Bolts want an upgrade in net, maybe they should go after one of those guys. I'm not sure Niitty is the same goalie you folks had in Tampa and I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade right now.

Old
01-26-2012, 04:56 AM
bassassin

Can't be worse than Roli....can he??

Old
01-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Couldn't hurt for some injury insurance. Are his hips healed?
Hips don't lie.

The problem I see is that if we do claim Niittyy, then that's our goalie move this season.

I think we may be the first team in the NHL to simultaneously have two bald goaltenders. SFY is shrewd if he got Garon to waive his no-hair compete clause.

We have been needing some sisu, now that I think about it.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Can't be worse than Roli....can he??
Is that the best way to think about it though? He could be worse seeing as he put up similar numbers in the AHL (last conditioning stint 1-2-0 3.38 GAA, .878sv%).

He hasn't played in the NHL this season, didn't do great in the AHL on conditioning stints (in fact got injured during them), and is coming off a second major surgery to his hip(s). He publicly complains about not being automatically in the SJS lineup coming off injury when Greiss and Niemi are playing well.

If picked up, he has to stay in the NHL lineup, so likely Roli would get waived. If Roli doesn't get picked up there's a total of $5.5m cap hit for the two goalies since Roli's on a 35+ contract.

Just seems like a whole lot of uncertainty/chaos to add, especially when the team, including Roli & Garon have started playing better recently. Last year, when Roli was picked up, he had been playing regularly and playing well at the NHL level. When he became a Bolt, he just kept in the same groove. Niitty isn't in any groove, he's been on IR, rehabbing since the off-season and yet to play an NHL game. At least Roli, Garon and the team have been showing good signs of finally coming together and playing well.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Bolts265

Well said.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
Is that the best way to think about it though? He could be worse seeing as he put up similar numbers in the AHL (last conditioning stint 1-2-0 3.38 GAA, .878sv%).

He hasn't played in the NHL this season, didn't do great in the AHL on conditioning stints (in fact got injured during them), and is coming off a second major surgery to his hip(s). He publicly complains about not being automatically in the SJS lineup coming off injury when Greiss and Niemi are playing well.

If picked up, he has to stay in the NHL lineup, so likely Roli would get waived. If Roli doesn't get picked up there's a total of $5.5m cap hit for the two goalies since Roli's on a 35+ contract.

Just seems like a whole lot of uncertainty/chaos to add, especially when the team, including Roli & Garon have started playing better recently. Last year, when Roli was picked up, he had been playing regularly and playing well at the NHL level. When he became a Bolt, he just kept in the same groove. Niitty isn't in any groove, he's been on IR, rehabbing since the off-season and yet to play an NHL game. At least Roli, Garon and the team have been showing good signs of finally coming together and playing well.
I agree very much to this and im glad we didn't pick him up.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

There's always re-entry waivers!

Old
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
There's always re-entry waivers!
That's what I've been thinking ever since I read that Niitty said he wanted out of SJ. It lowers Niitty's worth to next to nothing.

If he does get placed on re-entry (and I don't see why he wouldn't), we can pick him up for ~389k, rather than the ~778k he's getting paid for the rest of the year.

Doing that doesn't just help us for the trade deadline, it hurts San Jose as well.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Closed Thread